Fallout 4’s Wasteland Workshop DLC Due Next Tuesday

The second round of Fallout 4 [official site] DLC will arrive next Tuesday, April 12th, Bethesda have announced. Like Automatron before it, the Wasteland Workshop DLC adds more bits and pieces to the current world rather than going somewhere new (that’s being saved for the third pack). The Workshop will give survivors new things to build in their settlements, from decontamination showers to taxidermied monsterheads, and also trap creatures for gladiatorial combat (or any other nefarious ends which spring to mind). Here, have a peek:

As you can see, settlements will get things like grow boxes and loads of new pretties, and traps will let folks… trap things. That’s it. It looks like a small collection of mods, but hey, I certainly don’t insist DLC be huge sprawling additions. If that’s more what you’re looking for, though, the Far Harbor DLC might be more your bag. Due in May, it’ll travel to an island off the coast of Maine to investigate a missing woman, a colony of synths, and other mysterious things.

Over on the free side of things, official mod tools are due soon-ish (April was the last we heard). Bethesda are also publicly testing Fallout 4’s new Survival Mode, which we’ve had a look at and quite enjoyed – though it could do with a little tweaking before launching properly.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. GWOP says:

Sorry for the off-topic comment, but where are my Sunday Papers?

Lars Westergren says:

I really liked building settlements actually. More options for that is nice. It would be even better if they added more goals and especially constraints too, so it feels like building stuff really matters.

In the beginning I just tossed mattresses on the ground and planted stuff wherever until I fulfilled some quota. It was not until I got the settlement in the narrow Hangman’s Alley inside Boston that I realized all the stuff wouldn’t fit on the ground, so I had to be creative in building upwards. It got even more fun when I realized I could do it while trying to make it aesthetic like for instance some sort of functional house, like something out of Grand Designs.
    “Yes, there is something very honest and authentic about this rusted corrugated sheeting, don’t you think?”

One constraint I would really like is for the ability for a settlement to be completely destroyed if you don’t have enough defenses, or if resources run out. As it is it seems like if a settlement gets raided you just get a few resources destroyed and settlers get a little bummed out.

• Razumen says:

Yes, it would be nice if beds required an actual room with lighting for instance, seems silly that you can have a perfectly happy settlement with everyone sleeping on the ground in the open.

Keeping your settlers happy should make them more productive, and maybe stop them from running away or turning towards a life of crime as a raider.

There’s a lot of ways they could make settlements more meaningful, though I think modders are more likely to do so than Bethesda.

3. GWOP says:

Oh, and delightful alt text as always.

4. vorador says:

I’m the only one that has the impression that Bethesda is intentionally delaying the modding tools so these kinds of mod-like DLC can sell?

Still, is nice to get professionally made “mods” with quality assets. I’ve already got the Season Pass (against my better judgment, but i was drunk. literally) so i’m aboard either way.

• JarinArenos says:

No, I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what’s happening here. Once released, the GECK will contribute to direct competition with further first-party DLC.

• Moonracer says:

I’m pretty sure that’s why they threatened to raise the price for the season pass also. I was tempted, but ultimately decided that I had more faith in the modding community to fix/improve upon the game than Bethesda.

This looks like it will be good for the console versions though.

• Razumen says:

Maybe, but I doubt it. First party DLCs were never really threatened by modders, because popular mods would often require them in the first place.

5. Flea says:

I loved Fallout 4, I still mod it and play it, but I never saw the point in building and maintaining a settlement. It’s just pointless, there’s nothing to be gained from it, it doesn’t change anything in your day to day gameplay, your character doesn’t benefit from it, it’s just a huge waste of time. I’m looking forward to Far Harbor, though.

• onodera says:

You’re not alone. My Sanctuary is a strip-mined ghost town with a bunch of workbenches and a box next to the spawn point. I added some extra corn and tato to Graygarden for adhesive crafting, but that’s it.

• TerminatorJones says:

I actually really liked the settlement building, although I totally understand why a person might not like it. But I think it’s a little unfair to write it off as totally pointless.

One think you can do is send people on courier routes between settlements, which means that crafting material you put in storage in one of the settlements can be accessed in any other settlement. So if you’ve dotted the map with settlements, you can pop into that settlement to drop off a good portion of your haul without going back to your main base.

Settlements also produce crops, which can be turned into adhesive, making that contribution pretty helpful, particularly in the early game. You can also build artillery in each settlement, and your coverage is better with more settlements.

Finally, I know this is sort of a debate here and elsewhere, but the Fallout games were traditionally roleplaying games, and I thought that the ability to leave your mark on the world and impact people in it was significantly heightened by your ability to build settlements. My settlements are each about 20 people, which means that a significant number of non-hostile NPCs in the wasteland owe me their allegiance. I liked that feeling.

• TerminatorJones says:

Oh yeah, and the ability to build shops is pretty decent, since it nets you income on your own, plus gives you more places where you’re able to sell your wares.

• Galilnagant says:

I didn’t like the feeling of 20 people demanding I personally protect them from raiders/super mutants/etc. after I built them a bunch of missile launcher turrets that can take down a behemoth in about 3-5 seconds.

• Distec says:

What is the point of setting up all that shit if I need to come back and baby you people whenever raiders show up? And it’s not like these are particularly challenging battles when they occur. There’ve been plenty of times when I’ve ignored the fight to do crafting/modding and these things generally resolved themselves.

Settlement building is a nice addition to FO, but ultimately pointless. They really needed more meaning in the game world, even though doing so potentially wrecks the feeling of solitary wandering that most people like in Bethesda games. If they’re not going to be meaningfully integrated – and I don’t consider the extra caps (I’m already rich) and crafting supplies (for more settlements?) to be of much value – then I think they should have put their resources elsewhere.

Haldurson says:

I enjoy settlement building, and to me, that is exactly the point of it. But it also helps you defend your citizens. Yeah, it’s not much — not everyone is going to enjoy it for the minigame that it is, and require more of an impetus to participate. The problem is that many people who do not enjoy it would then complain that it is TOO important. I think that Bethesda did it in the only way they could, to give something to the builders, and yet not drive away the non-builders.

That said, maybe some creative modder will figure out a way to make it more essential for those who want it to be. That would be cool. Maybe make raiders more frequent and more dangerous as time goes on, so that you really DO have to put up strong defenses, traps, etc. Maybe have a more creative way of having settlements contribute (in an essential way) to your success by creating tourism. That can be combined with an economy tweak so that money is NOT as easy to obtain as you rightfully claim it is.

Just some ideas… I’m going to think about myself (I plan on trying my hand at modding the game, once the creation kit is released — but this may be a bit too ambitious for me. But I’ll think about it).

• Razumen says:

They need to fix raiders appearing *inside* your settlements first, otherwise how well you defend your perimeter is pretty much worthless.

• Zenicetus says:

Same here. I got into it just enough to build a few settlements on my first playthrough, mainly for adhesives. Which is a silly motivation for doing it if it doesn’t appeal more directly, So I scaled back even further on my current second playthrough. I have Sanctuary and Greygarden with the robots and that’s all I need or want.

I understand how others might get into it, it’s just not what I play a Fallout game for. I bought the first robots DLC and that was fun, but I’ll be skipping this one.

• vorador says:

It is unnecessary, true. You can play the game from start to finish without touching a settlement. At most building the workshops.

But it is not pointless. They can bring some benefits, from hauling your stuff from settlement to settlement to grow food and building shops to easily sell loot and buy stuff near your workshop. Also if you rest on a settlement on a bed you own you get the Well Rested +10% exp bonus, which is always nice.

Sure, those things might not be worth to you the effort. But for others they’re worth it. In fact, some people actually enjoy building settlements, instead of doing quest or exploring. Different strokes for different folks.

• Razumen says:

That’s not really true, a well developed settlement generates scrap, purified water, caps and crops, plus they allow a convenient way to access all of your stash once you have trade routes set up-an absolute necessity if you’re playing on the new survival mode.

One thing I hope they add is the ability to hitch a ride on caravans from settlement to settlement, it would make them even more important, as well as making sure you’re caravaners are armed properly.

6. BobbyDylan says:

Thought it was about steam workshop……

Now I’m sad.

Haldurson says:

Go to the Fallout Nexus website (link to nexusmods.com?) and then download NMM from them. It’s pretty easy to learn, and once you start using it, you won’t miss Steam Workshop support.

7. JarinArenos says:

Getting really frustrated at more DLC coming out while the GECK is delayed indefinitely.

8. Jack_Empty says:

Found settlements a bit more necessary with the new survival mode. The need for purified water means you have to get them capable of producing an excess and then build defences up to the same level to stave off the raiders.

9. tonicer says:

DLC? More like a paid mod. xD

10. alsoran says:

Its nice that they’ve learned from the modders, I can see that in the game which feels like a modded Skyrim at times.

I do feel that I’ve wasted my hard earned on the Season Pass so far, although I paid half on Amazon to what they were asking for it on Steam, because of the lack some DLC with a bit of backbone and beef.

These current DLC and the in game building thing are “Flim Flam.”

I’m also very nervous about the GECK release and the conditions they may apply to its use with respect to the Modding community. Hopefully they’ll allow a free for all.

11. Akula says:

Am i the only one wondering where the fuck there’s enough room for that ?