Steam Charts: Death, Divisions and DLC

I wasn’t around to cover the previous week’s Steam Top 10 as per usual, so you’ll have to wildly imagine the shape of it yourself. I can take an educated guess if you like: I’m pretty sure Soldner was a shock number one, with Limbo of the Lost and Aliens: Colonial Marines hot on its heels. Strange that they’re completely gone from the latest chart, below, but that’s the fickle nature of the millennial digital consumer for you, innit?

1. Tom Clancy’s The Division

I want to say I’m surprised about this, as I haven’t heard anyone talking about it, but then that’s also the case for any new Call of Duty: it’s adopted en masse by a horde of people who don’t necessarily chatter online about it, and neither do they drop it a week or two after release. This is their Big Shooting Game for the year, or at least its first half, and one where groups of friends end up all picking it up so they can play together. On top of that, it’s a bloody good game, despite its flaws. Our ongoing guide to all things Clancy contains all the info you need whether you’re just starting out or have already hit the level 30 glass ceiling.

2. Grand Theft Auto V

I can’t work out why this is riding so high again, other than ‘because it’s a Grand Theft Auto’. I basically haven’t been on the internet for almost a fortnight though, so for all I know HBO decided to finally answer the question of Is Wossiname From Thrones Dead Or Not with in an-game GTA event.

3. Stardew Valley

The Harvest Moonalike gets to do what a Nintendo game basically never does, which is to be a rolling work in progress, adding new stuff as the playerbase demands or the devs desire. Word of mouth plus a steady stream of new features, such as an overhaul to marriage, helps keep Stardew Valley looking fresh’n’tasty. This remains 2016’s most surprising success, and I get the warm and fuzzies because of that.

4. Fallout 4

It’s quite the week for returns to power from the big guns of the recent past. Bethesda climb back into the high echelons thanks to a double whammy of the roboty Automatron DLC (which Richard felt was too slight for its own good) and the overhauled survival mode, which rather broke poor old Rob’s spirit.

5. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

IT WILL NEVER DIE.

6. DARK SOULS III Deluxe Edition

The revered icon of e-peen-waving returns, and manages a pretty strong placement on pre-orders alone- a double-whammy, no less, with this Deluxe Edition bundling in some DLC. Adam thought DSIII to be a qualified success.

7. DARK SOULS III

Made-Up Maths tells me that sales of the standard edition combined with the above Deluxe Edition would push DSIII to fourth or even third place. You do trust in my Made-Up Maths, don’t you? Again, it should be noted that DSIII isn’t even released for another week, so it’s doing bloody well for itself in pre-order bucks.

8. Factorio

This ultro-scale building game would surely be scooping the where-the-hell-did-that-come-from trophy if it wasn’t for Stardew Valley’s titanic success. Do check out Factorio: don’t be put off by either the slightly muddy presentation or the apparent brain-mulching complexity. It works, it makes sense, and it’s supremely well-thought-out.

9. Tom Clancy’s The Division Gold Edition

The base game+DLC bundle snags Ubisoft a second Division placement. Bear in mind even that doesn’t account for any in-game purchases, which involve the accursed Uplay. In other words: Ubisoft have made an awful lot of money from this.

10. Fallout 4 Season Pass

Fallout 4’s DLC pack sneaks in at the bottom of the top 10, meaning that, in actual fact, last week’s chart only comprises seven different games. There are no shocks either, as Stardew and Factorio’s big-hitting is comparatively old news by now.

I’m not going to do new/re-entries and drop-outs this week as I wasn’t around last week to know what’s changed. Instead, I’ll note the following:

Indie (not including Valve) to AAA ratio – 2:8

Sequels – 4/10. Or 6/10 if you include deluxe editions and season passes.

Games primarily about killing: 5/10. Or 7/10 if you include deluxe editions and season passes.

Charts via PC gaming news stalwart Blues.

From this site

distantlurker says:

See you laugh but I’d put a pound on Aliens: Colonial Marines making the top 10 next week, with all the column inches that mod is getting.

2. wu wei says:

Counting different editions & DLC separately seems a bit contrived. Roll identical titles together and it’s a 2:5 indie to AAA ratio, which is pretty damn strong.

I don’t consider AAA games to have a “stranglehold” this week simply because they have more ridiculous pricing strategies.

3. yogibbear says:

Quantum Break… Oh wait… That’s a Windows Store & Windows 10 exclusive…. :(

• Enso says:

Haha amazing. I didn’t know that. I did know that the live action sequences bring absolutely nothing to it though so yay for experimentation but this is a dud

• Buggery says:

Why should the live action sequences not being groundbreaking make the game a dud? By all reports its reviewing well and sounds like a lot of fun.

4. Cinek says:

Weird. No DOTA2? No TF2? These games are pretty much always in top-5, heck: right now top-3 is Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Team Fortress 2.

I think that these charts bluesnews provides are bollocks.

• Alec Meer says:

Those games are free to play. This is a sales chart but you’re looking at an hours played chart.

• davethejuggler says:

Do you know if this is a sales chart in terms of copies sold, or is it net value sold?

• Drakhoran says:

Steam sales charts are always ranked on money earned. If a 30$ game beats a 60$ game it means they sold more than twice the number of copies.

5. Doveship says:

In a somewhat hilarious twist the price for the individual components of the Dark Souls III Deluxe Edition is actually less than the bundle, at least for UK folks. Not by much, admittedly, but even so this stands as strong evidence for how utterly brainless consumers can be

• jonahcutter says:

Well, the basic pattern has been that buying such bundles generally costs a bit less, so people assuming so again isn’t stupidity. It’s the basic pricing structure of the industry.

If anything, it’s an oversight or someone taking advantage of the situation.

• Don Reba says:

In Canada and the US, where they don’t write prices per kg, you often end up paying more when you buy bulk packages.

• Alto says:

Maybe I’ve been shopping at the wrong (right?) places, but I’ve always used the price/weight ratios on pricetags in the US to determine whether a bulk buy is actually cheaper. The information is openly available, it’s just that so many people seem to have “bulk = cheap” ingrained into their minds.

6. Unsheep says:

My personal, and rather eccentric, Top-10 2016 Releases so far:

1. Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo
    2. Day of the Tentacle Remastered
    3. Shardlight
    4. Alekhine’s Gun
    5. American Truck Simulator
    6. Sheltered
    7. Ashes of the Singularity
    8. Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders
    9. Samorost 3
    10. Into The Stars

What are yours, other readers ?

7. frogmanalien says:

I like the idea of non-killing games creeping up (presumably to hug you, and not to kill you) – would be great to see a filter for Steam to get rid of all the violent games. Any day now AAA’s will realise killing isn’t a requirement.

8. Tacroy says:

The Harvest Moonalike gets to do what a Nintendo game basically never does

You missed a glorious opportunity to fan old flames and use the term “Nintendon’t” :(

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’ve had an idea for a semi-regular feature RPS could run called “PC Does What Nintendon’t” where each week/month/moon-phase they take one Nintendo franchise and recommend theit closest PC counterparts. This of course being inspired by the fact that Hyper Light Drifter is now the best Zelda-like on PC.

• Urthman says:

Yes, I want this RPS feature please please please.

• Ejia says:

Oh, yes please. Then we can settle the question as to whether Axiom Verge or Environmental Station Alpha is the more Metroidy Metroidvania.

9. onionman says:

Just a note to say that I literally laughed out loud while browsing the Steam page for the Dark Souls III DLC, which currently tags the game as a “Casual,” “Family-Friendly,” “Cute” “Walking Simulator,” and had to explain why this was funny to my wife. She did not get it.

10. LuminosXI says:

The Soldner reference just made my list for greatest japes. I’ll be mailing RPS the bill for my prosthetic sides.

11. Jabberslops says:

I still poke my head into GTA Online sometimes, but really I only play for 20-30 minutes before leaving in disgust at what game has devolved into.

I’m willing to bet that GTAV still has such high numbers because at least half the player base during peak and current hours are Asian players. That is the way it seems anyway when nearly every lobby I join is full of people talking in another language. That isn’t to say this is inherently bad; It becomes more a case of not being able to play anything well enough because nobody can communicate or because they are rubber-banding.

Then there is the severe lack of anything anyone could consider anti-cheat. 9 out of 10 lobbies has someone cheating in some way. One of the most used tactics employed by these cheaters, is to crash someones client when they announce someone is cheating or trying to get the cheater vote kicked and reported.

So is little point playing GTA Online until the cheating is curtailed. It is simply not fun to play when half the people “playing” are just dropping money bags or blowing everyone up remotely.

Some of the Asian players speak English pretty well, but for most of them, they are better off not talking when they don’t understand that you want them to not shoot at the Cops so we don’t lose money, because the host insisted we use the Bikes which usually end up with someone using their face to paint the Road red.

12. arakami says:

steam sale on the GTA series within that time fram