Total War: Warhammer – Meet Vargheists, Terrorgheists

Look, I’m not going to even try to pretend I know anything about Warhammer but I know people are Interested and thus I am bringing you videos about “Vargheists” and “Terrorgheists” from the upcoming Total War: Warhammer [official site] game. Think of me as a friendly postwoman, arriving with a package of winged terrors that someone else wanted to send you.

Sign here please.

VARGHEISTS:

Creative Assembly say:

As the purest darkness of a Vampire’s soul made manifest, Varghiests are truly the stuff of nightmares. Towering winged beasts, each several times the size of a man, they can be deployed with devastating effect from above to rip battle lines to pieces.

Pip says:

They’re kind of ginger vampires who get marinaded in sarcophagi and end up growing wings because that’s just what happens when you make undead soup. They’re really cross about all of this so they will attack you. It’s like when a cat’s been shut in the garage by accident and gets fed up.

TERRORGHEISTS

Creative Assembly say:

Though Vampire Counts have several flying units, it is the Terrorgheist that is the most lethal. This enormous bat-like monster of fang and talon, induces abject terror in all but the most steadfast. It has poisonous attacks that weakens its prey, readying them for slaughter and can even regenerate when wounded.

Pip says:

I think these are giant undead bats who work for the Cool Kings. I don’t know what a Cool King is but I guess they’re kings who are cool. Before they die their hobbies include “hunting horses” and “other prey” but afterwards they just spend their time shrieking at stuff and being hench.

Adam wrote about this kind of thing in far more detail and with far more relevant knowledge in his Total War: Warhammer, Vampire Counts preview. The basic summary which he gave me just now is: “I enjoyed those bat things when I played it. And the animation when they pluck horses out of a group of units is hilarious and horrible.”

So now you know.

From this site

1. jgf1123 says:

Pip, do you get ahold of the recipe for next The Great British Bake Off technical challenge?

2. Freud says:

I don’t know about the physics of flying around with big holes in your wings.

• Sian says:

A wizard did it. A necromancer, presumably.

• ZippyLemon says:

Imagine their power without the holes D:

Terrifying!

• gpown says:

The canon explanation is probably something along the lines of “you’ll stop caring about physics when it rips your head off”.

• kud13 says:

The holes are actually pockets of the Warp. It strains against the fabric of reality and projects the ‘heist closer to space.

Thus, it is actually the holes that make it stay afloat.

When it has to land, the Warp energies become more agitated, flooding the creature, causing it physical pain and it lashes out at the surrounding enemies with greater ferocity.

• XxBrentos9xX says:

Does this actually fit with the canon? Because if you made it up, you should inquire for a writing job at one of the 100 companies using the WH license

• gunny1993 says:

I think if you’ve convinced physics that a giant bird weighing several tonnes can fly, presumably by shoving physic’s head down the toilet until it concedes, you don’t need to give a flying fuck about holes.

• Person of Interest says:

Those are speed holes.

3. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Crickey, they’ve been going for it with the videos these last couple of weeks.

4. RedViv says:

Cool Kings is way better than Ghoul Kings. GW pls change thx

5. TheWhippetLord says:

It’s very Warhammer that they took a giant flying undead bat and put some skulls on it to make it scary. Or maybe it’s some kind of necromancer feng shui.

6. Unruly says:

How long before GW makes them rewrite the game, pack it full of Sigmarines, eliminate half the factions, and charge 3x the price?

And then how long before someone makes a Kings of War mod for it that makes it good again?

Mungrul says:

Looks like they’re already doing it given the last few seconds of both those videos; to play as Chaos Warriors “for free”, you have to pre-order the game. That’s pretty off considering Chaos are traditionally the main antagonists in any Warhammer game.

7. Nike says:

“Look, I’m not going to even try to pretend I know anything about Warhammer”

With a surname like yours, how can you not? :)