Hellish: Doom’s Open Beta And Post-Launch Plans

You needn’t wait until May 13th to tear your chums to chum in id Software’s new Doom [official site], as the multiplayer beta test will be opened up to all briefly this month. A multiplayer beta is already on but limited to pre-order shenanigans, so from Friday, April 15th through to Monday, April 18th it’ll be open to anyone who fancies a go. It’ll offer two maps and two modes.

Publishers Bethesda have also announced their plans for after Doom’s launch, which include free updates to the map editor as well as paid DLC for multiplayer.

First, the open beta. It’ll showcase the maps Heatwave and Infernal in Team Deathmatch and Warpath (a King of the Hill variant, basically) modes.

Once Doom’s done and out and rampaging, id plan to release free things across 2016. Along with new multiplayer maps, they’ll expand the flashy level editor SnapMap. Planned additions include “include modules; props and objects; additional features and functionality; AI enhancements; editing tool enhancements and more.”

Less free is the multiplayer DLC. Bethesda have announced three packs, which will cost $14.99/£11.99 each or $39.99/£29.99 for the lot in a Season Pass. They’ll add new things including maps, weapons, playable demons, and cosmetic customisation bits. The first pack is due some time in the summer.

I realise multiplayer DLC is ubiquitous in games nowadays but dang, it sounds awful as someone who grew up on id shooters. Clearly Doom’s not the same sort of honed, lean, murderously egalitarian FPS they used to make, but DLC weapons is… agh. I’m fine, kiddywinkles, it’s fine. Auntie Alice just needs her medicine. Be a dear and rummage down the side of a sofa for a bottle that’s not empty, won’t you?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Gunsmith says:

did..did i read that right? Thirty fucking quid for a multiplayer only season pass?

no wonder this industry is going to shit.

• spectre645 says:

wake up and smell the roses sunshine. AAA games are expensive and season passes are a way to make a profit. You can always go back to crysis.

• Gunsmith says:

you’re right, a one off payment for a complete game does seem more appealing.

• spectre645 says:

honestly, i don’t have problem paying for quality. from what i saw in the beta. doom’s multiplayer does not have that quality. something about the movement feels off and the guns are sorta meh. The single-player seems to hold promise though.

• Hell-Nico says:

wake up and smell shit douchebag. They just lost me (and pretty much all my friend) with that shit, these kind of DLC on a game that aim to be a “classic” is bullshit.
        You can always go back to Evolve and by more dlc.

• Hell-Nico says:

Well, I was hyped to preorder the thing after farming the beta, but THIS shit is just a redflag for me.

MAP pack is FUCKING SHIT, but they also trow weapon in it too ?
      FUCK THEM.

2. Faults says:

God, Id really did die a death when Carmack left, didn’t it?

Ericusson says:

What is he up to now ?
      Wish he gets to party a lot and ends up sleeping drunk on Cacodemons toilets.
      For all the mini heart attacks I got playing freaking Doom in the dark at night with my headphones 20 years ago.

3. deadlybydsgn says:

Season pass? Boo. Seems like a greedy choice for this title.

The only season passes that have made sense to me have been the Borderlands games, because you’re getting 2-4 substantial content releases. Heck, some of the original game’s DLC was better than the normal campaign.

4. Synesthesia says:

DLC weapons for god damn Doom? Now that’s a decision done for me, no way I’m buying this now.

Go fuck yourselves, ID.

• Hedgeclipper says:

They could toss in some horse armour to sweeten the deal?

• Hell-Nico says:

Map pack is already fuck shit, pay for a map that you’ll never play on because their is not enough players.
      But weapon ? On a DOOM ?
      Fuck them indeed.

5. Mechorpheus says:

Getting worried about this game now. So much information on the multiplayer, it honestly wouldn’t shock me if they announced they’d binned off the campaign and replaced it with a series of bot matches…. Oh well, Brutal Doom ain’t going anywhere :)

6. ZIGS says:

Anyone else more interested in the single-player than the multiplayer?

• Distec says:

I’m with you. I may dabble in the MP, but I’m playing this game to mow down the plentiful denizens of Hell. I imagine this is what most prospective fans are going in for? IMO the Season Pass itself is dumb, but it’s even doubly since it’s apparently all centered around the multiplayer. Why? I’m a little grateful, I guess, because it makes it very easy for me to just not buy the damn thing.

But unlike a lot of its detractors, I’m optimistic that the new Doom SP campaign will be fun.

• Minglefingler says:

I have zero interest in the multiplayer and had high hopes for the singleplayer. After a quick go at the beta last weekend I’m a bit concerned, the movement speed was too slow and the weapons felt a bit weak, of course this may be different in singleplayer. I really hope the focus of development was on the campaign, I know others may differ but for me Doom was always about killing hundreds of demons with meaty weapons.

• derbefrier says:

i didnt think the speed was too bad for a modern shooter. I mean lets face it we are never going back to the mach 5 speed doom guy used to run at but to ID’s credit it was fast enough to give it that old school feel, at least for me.

• derbefrier says:

oh and i agree with your point on the guns.

• Minglefingler says:

It might have felt slow as I’d been playing Doom II earlier that day. Also, Bunker Punks, where you move at a fair old lick. I just don’t see it capturing the feel of old Doom for me without a bit more pace. Mind you, I could be (and hope I am) wrong about this.

• Razumen says:

I’m definitely more interested in the Singleplayer, might play some MP, but probably mostly only for coop games with my friends against monsters.

Doom’s never really been about MP for me, though I do like what they’ve done with it so far from participating in the Beta. The speed isn’t exactly super fast, but it’s not slow either, and the weapons do have a punch when used right.

• Alien says:

Only interested in DOOM single-player. I love wandering through those eerie, dimly lit sci-fi corridors…

I hope they got the level design right: What was great about Doom 1 and 3 was the pacing of the levels.

• deadlybydsgn says:

Yes! I played the original Doom shareware so much that episode 1 is still my favorite chunk of the series. By the time Doom II came across my desk, it was too frenetic for my taste. I did enjoy some Doom co-op via modem, but that was still in the days where getting PC multiplayer to work felt like an accomplishment. As for Doom 3, it just didn’t feel right to me.

New Doom is definitely not a day one purchase for me, though. I am busy with life and can wait for the game to be on sale.

Mungrul says:

Don’t worry Alice, there’s still a massive community making free stuff for old id games.

Can’t see this new attempt at Doom being played in twenty years time mind you.

It does make me a bit sad that Quake 3 was probably the last id engine that enabled a generation of budding developers thanks to id’s incredibly open attitude towards supporting the mod community.

id can no longer count themselves alongside Epic or Unity as a driving force behind grass roots development. I know, modern graphics assets are a lot more complicated to develop, but not even including the option to develop maps outside of SnapMap is a slap in the face, especially when the engine has been able to switch from game mode to map editing mode via a simple terminal command since Doom 3.

• Razumen says:

You’d think Bethesda of all people would understand the benefits of allowing full modding on their games, as Skyrim and such have done very well on PC, and their DLC did not suffer at all because of it, in fact, it probably helped.

8. Banks says:

Season passes that split the player base are the fucking worst and they need to stop. They have never worked and they never will.

Also, I played the beta and it was hot garbage. Unreal Tournament Reboot is much better and it’s free.

Ericusson says:

Anybody played the latest full Doom 3 with all the adjustments they added (torch, faster movement ?) ?
      How was it ?

• Alien says:

The graphics of the original Doom 3 version were better (dynamic shadows for every single object). Doom 3 BFG was made for consoles. Go for the original (and some gfx mods: Sikkmod)

9. nimbulan says:

Good job Bethesda. People were already concerned about the longevity of the multiplayer, and you went and killed it before it even started.

10. Mr_Blastman says:

An extra forty bucks for multiplayer?! For real? Hahahahahahaha a hundred bucks… no way! Eat poo! I’ll go play something else.

• Razumen says:

You don’t need to buy the DLC to play multiplayer you know…

11. Zach Fett says:

>A multiplayer beta is already on but limited to pre-order shenanigans

Erm, that ended on the 3rd.

12. King_Rocket says:

13. Pizzzahut says:

The DLC will ensure that the multiplayer dies quickly. The player base will die quicker than Hard Line’s did.

14. Bweahns says:

I do love me some paid for multiplayer. It splits the multiplayer community up into the haves and have-nots nice and quickly, thus reducing the player pool and reducing the time it takes to find a server with some available slots. Great job iD!