British Academy Games Awards 2016: All The Winners

The gaming Baftas (which are more properly referred to as the British Academy Games Awards) have concluded and, while I assume a dedicated few will remain on the Twitch chat channel copy pasting “LIFE IS STRANGE” and “UNDERTALE!” into the chat box I suspect others may have missed the show SO! in the interests of keeping you up to date here is the full list of winners:

Best Game in 2016

WINNER: Until Dawn
Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture
Ori and the Blind Forest
Life is Strange
Her Story

Performer in 2016

WINNER: Merle Dandridge – Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (Kate Collins)
Oliver Dimsdale – Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (Stephen Appleton)
Mark Hamill – Batman: Arkham Knight (The Joker)
Ashly Burch – Life is Strange (Chloe Price)
Masasa Moyo – Broken Age: Act 2 (Vella)
Doug Cockle – The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Witcher)

Family in 2016

WINNER: Rocket League
Disney Infinity 3.0: Play Without Limits
Guitar Hero: Live
Super Mario Maker
LEGO Dimensions

BAFTA Ones To Watch Award

Steven Li, Aaron Hong, Mclean Goldwhite, Theodore Park, Kenny Regan, Cynthia Cantrell, Gracie May, Jade Kim
The Wall Shall Stand
Edward Burton, Edward Grimes, Cameron Richards, Steven Sparkes
Cheri Skivington, Daniel Prihodko, Ricardo Barros, Zolton Tompa, Hajnalka Szanto, Irina Kovalova

Mobile & Handheld in 2016

WINNER: Her Story
Fallout Shelter
Lara Croft GO
The Room Three

Fellowship in 2016

John Carmack

*Disclaimer-ish: I was part of the panel which produced the shortlist for the AMD eSports Audience Award but the actual award was decided by a public vote and not a jury so it wasn’t even a case of taking stock of the feeling in the room and making an educated guess at to who might win.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. SMGreer says:

Witcher 3 got nothing. Fallout 4 was GotY. Eh…At least Life Is Strange got something I guess.

• Person of Interest says:

I suspect at least one member of the voting jury missed their chance at the discounted Fallout 4 season pass, and is instead trying to accelerate Bethesda’s release of the Fallout 4 GotY Edition.

• Wafflepocalypse says:

Short of a hostage situation, this is the only explanation I’m willing to except.

2. gbrading says:

I normally respect the BAFTAs a lot but there are some highly questionable choices here. Best Game for Fallout 4? Best British Game for Batman: Arkham Knight?! A game than literally had to be pulled from sale on PC for half a year?

There are some nice choices though; nice to see Prison Architect get awarded, same for Her Story and Life is Strange. I liked Fallout 4 a lot, but it certainly wasn’t Game of the Year.

• welverin says:

I questioned Arkham Knights’ win for best British game, but then I remembered Rocksteady is a British developer.

As for your point about it being pulled from sale, the awards clearly aren’t PC centric and the console versions didn’t suffer the same problems, so that’s not really a reason to disqualify it.

• Cinek says:

Yea, I’m totally confused about these choices. Batman was a total flop, to the point where it’s laughable. If that’s the best British industry can offer, than better don’t offer anything at all.

FO4 as the best game of the year… well… everyone more into gaming know it doesn’t deserve it, not when competing with Witcher 3, but I know plenty people that do consider FO4 to be the game of the year, so… it’s somewhat excusable…. I guess… maybe…

• fish99 says:

An American company screwed up the PC port of Arkham Knight, mainly due to not being given enough time by the American publisher WB. Rocksteady wrote the console version, which worked fine and was well reviewed, although most people would say it’s not quite as good as their previous two Arkham games.

3. DarkFenix says:

Really? Fallout 4 won best game? The story was awful bordering non-existent and there was a dire lack of hand-crafted content in favour of systems that created endless but utterly bland identikit ‘content’.

Every other Fallout game has grabbed me and not let go for a great many hours, 4 successfully bored me away from it in very short order.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Yeah I don’t begrudge the AAA game industry making the equivalent of big dumb Hollywood blockbusters, but I struggle to understand the critics praising such games to the high heavens.

It’s like there’s a huge psychological barrier to admitting that the latest shiny ultra-hyped game might just be a bit mediocre.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Who are the critics?

Who gets to vote for these awards?

• Dunderbar says:

Fallout 4 getting GotY is a complete joke. The Witcher 3 is possibly one of the best RPGs ever made, while Fallout 4 isn’t even the best Fallout game for Christ’s sake.

• Wafflepocalypse says:

Fallout 4 isn’t even in the top four Fallout games.

• Robert The Rebuilder says:

I thought this was a really funny comment, until I realized that there are more than 4 fallout games.

keefybabe says:

Totally. Witcher 3 should have walked away with this without even a breath.

4. ZippyLemon says:

I don’t want to be a grump, but I’m grumpy about all these accolades for Fallout 4. They’ve basically been doing the same game with the same engine, with the same shallow power trip fun side and the same jaw droppingly bad writing, combat, role playing, and QA since Morrowind.

They’ve been blowing the same game with the same flows steadily out of proportion for over a decade. Wake up sheeple!

5. Morcane says:

Fallout 4 GotY.

lol what a joke.

6. Zallgrin says:

As someone who quite enjoyed Fallout 4 and played it for 70+ hours, lmao at it winning Best Game

Very glad to see that Jessica Curry won several awards for Everybody’s Gone to Rapture! Well-deserved. I’m just as happy to see that Her Story was fairly acknowledged and that Life is Strange got at least one award

• trashmyego says:

This is my response as well. It’s not that Fallout 4 is bad or I regret spending all the time I have in it. It’s just nothing approaching game of the year material. When Bethesda finally gets off their ass and innovates their formula, actually surprises and enthralls in a manner the feels like a step forward – at that time they can be praised yet again. As things currently stand, they’re beating a dead horse… a dead horse I’m happy to take part in the beating of still, but none the less, it’s not very impressive at this point.

• Dicehuge says:

I think the weirdly broad spectrum of opinions of Fallout 4 is all about context. If you never played a Bethesda game before and judged it purely on its own merits, it would seem an incredible, groundbreaking game. But if you’ve played the elder scrolls’ and the the other Fallouts, all you can see is a bland, disappointing series of missed opportunities.

• Arkayjiya says:

Yes, the thing is award shows definitely isn’t somethint that should ignore history and context.

7. ZombieFX says:

/// Family in 2016 for Disney Infinity 3.0: Play Without Limits?
    Must be a TYPO!

Its “PAY” without limits. Any of those putting the “vote button” did read up (steam (reviews))… ?

Seriously. For the money i could throw at this game, i can get the ENTIRE lego Saga, Minecraft… 5 random ones and a family sized pizza…
    Or some real life creeper or something idk.

/// Innovation for MGS?
    It just copied any mmo out there… yeah, really inovativ to blow ppls single player game into a open world one… :|
    So when i make a super mario game into a slot machine (with some help of konami!) … im inovativ, right?

/// Artistic AND Audio for Batman?
    Sure… its a great achievement, to blend a game so well with DJ-HERO:
    link to
    (watch review of totalbiscuit, if you want have a sad laugh)

8. Viral Frog says:

I’ve not played Fallout 4, but based on everything I’ve heard about the game, the verdict of it being Best Game sort of blows my mind. Not even the most dedicated Fallout fans that I know would have gone so far as to say it was the GOTY.

• rgbarton says:

Keep in mind though that other people tend to have different opinions and thus will either over exagerate or under exagerate a game’s short comming’s and or successes like for instance you say that fallout fans you know didn’t put fallout 4 as game of the year but I’ve personally seen a lot of fallout fans that give fallout 4 their game of the year

9. Paul says:

Someone explain to me how does Fallout 4, mediocrity that it is, wins in a year with Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Life is Strange, SOMA or Rocket League. Because I don’t get it. Yes I played 140 hours of Fallout 4 and did pretty much all sidequests it has. Most of them are terrible and the story is poor. Worst Fallout ending ever, too.

10. Unsheep says:

At least it’s nice to see minor variation from US gaming awards, although most of it was fairly predictable…but that’s mainstream gaming for you. Mainstream gaming is supposed to be predictable. The only surprise is that Batman actually won something. That game feels older than a year though for some reason.

11. CitizenX3639 says:

I don’t even know where to begin. The games themselves, the winners, the category names, its sad. I don’t know why actually talented people in the industry don’t stand up and try to be recognized.

12. cirdanx says:

What a bunch of incredible joke awards, that has to be one of the most bias award give aways i have ever seen *laughs*

• fish99 says:

It’s possible to make a bad decision without being biased.

• Josh W says:

That’s an interesting one; we’ve had lots of chats before about how you can have biases and work against them to seek objectivity, although that’s even harder in the case of choosing awards:

I like this one more than that one, that is my personal preference, do I put the one I like less up because I want to avoid bias? Well hopefully someone’s put me in this job because they think my opinions will show judgement, so as long as it’s not a stupid reason, or something weirdly specifically personal (like the game was made particularly for me, with a picture of my family in it), I’ll go with my judgement.

First person perspective aside, no one actually put me in that job. :(

13. zethan says:

Life is Strange should’ve been nominated for best music. Haven’t played a videogame with more fitting music.

• deadlybydsgn says:

It had great music, but I think it’s another category where the Witcher 3 was a bigger overall achievement.

CDPR got robbed here, but at least W3 has received due praise from other judges.

14. Frank says:

What’s a persistent game in this context? A Farmville-alike, where stuff happens while you’re away?

15. rgbarton says:

“Roar!!! How dare they give Fallout 4 an award”
    – This comment section in a nutshell

Geez people calm down. You see them giving fallout 4 an award is entirely based on their opinion. So getting mad at them for awarding fallout 4 is like getting mad at someone else for liking a game more than you

• Sarfrin says:

Or like commenting on an article. In the comments section of an article.

• Grim_22 says:

I think the main thing that is bothering people, is that The Witcher 3 was borderline perfection – it’s a game that every other designer, developer and publisher should look at and go “Oh, right – that’s the future and that’s where the industry needs to go”.

So, when these people value Fallout 4 over the immense achievement of CD Project RED, it just… hits hard, you know? Personally, I really liked Fallout 4, but it is really not even close here – I’d dare say that’s not even opinion, just fact. It’s like comparing Miley Cyrus to Mozart – you may prefer Miley Cyrus, but you’d be damn well aware of the fact that Mozart’s music was a greater achievement.

16. SaintAn says:

Sounds rigged or the voters were terribly ignorant. No way Fallout 4 is a GOTY or even worthy of any awards. And many of those that won are not award worthy either.

17. KastaRules says:

Fallout 4?? Come on, Bethesda are not even TRYING to give us a half decent game anymore!

They have a huge budget but the game still manages to score sub-par: voice acting, story, animations, poor PC support and they keep getting away with it simply because players really crave this kind of post-apocalyptic experience.

• fish99 says:

Compared to previous Bethesda RPGs, the animations and VA were actually pretty solid. They had mo-capped facial/skeletal animations for (major) NPCs dialogues for the first time in a Bethesda RPG, which were more pleasant to behold than the manikins of Skyrim, and there was less poor VA.

The big issue with the game (for me) was the story, the setting, the factions, and a lot of the quests, were so drab. Also all the factions were tied into the same story, so if you found that story boring you couldn’t just go do something more interesting instead (which you could in Skyrim).

• KastaRules says:

I played FO4 right after GTAV and MGSVTPP, the difference is very clear.

Although I agree the animations were improved from the older games, they are still sub-par compared to AAA competitors.

• fish99 says:

Sure, you’re completely correct, I’m just saying since they were an improvement for Bethesda they didn’t stand out as the main failings of the game to me. The dullness of the story/setting/factions was crippling in comparison.

The voice acting I thought was pretty good (apart from Cait and her fake Irish accent). Stephen Russell was excellent as Valentine and whoever did the female protagonist did a solid job.

18. csbear says:

BWWWWHAAAAAFTA…BWWWWHAAAAAFTA!!! FO4 better than Witcher3!?!

One of the best RPGs ever made (Witcher 3) lost to a game that might be the worst in its 5 game series (including FO:NV).

19. Jokerme says:

Fallout 4? Really? That soulless shell of a game? Well, I guess we don’t care about Baftas.

caff says:

I want to love the Witcher 3, but I played 20 hours of it vs. 200 hours of Fallout 4. I’m not sure if I’m an idiot (quite likely) but from my personal perspective, I think I enjoyed Fallout 4 more.

However, Rocket League should have won most things. Because it’s mostly great.

• brucethemoose says:

I’ve dumped hundreds and hundreds of hours into Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas (though I’m holding off on FO4). I’ve enjoyed other RPGs as well.

But I bounced off Witcher 2 hard. Gave Witcher 3 a shot, bounced off it too. I really, REALLY wanted to like them, but couldn’t get into either.

• Mark Schaal says:

I also played Witcher 3 for about 20 hours. It is…okay-ish I suppose but it is in no way a best game of the year contender.

• f0rmality says:

having your own opinion is totally cool but that’s a pretty sweeping statement to make about the game that now holds the record for most Game of the Year awards ever won lol.

• Mark Schaal says:

Curious, isn’t it?

• deadlybydsgn says:

I’d have to agree. Opinions are fine, but considering the game’s reception, that level of dismissiveness is laughable.

21. pillot says:

ori not winning for music? totally invalidates the whole process

22. woodsey says:

Life is Strange for story? Is the only requirement “Must have some writing”?

• Cinek says:

Come on, among games released this year it got definitely above-average story. Sure, it’s a story mostly for teenagers, but still fairly coherent and decently written. It’s nothing like the mess FO4 was.

Risingson says:

I disagree: it is a very strong story. The symbolic level works perfectly and the game takes you exactly where it wants even with these changes in tones.

23. Pizzzahut says:

The Witcher is a POS, I think we can all agree on that. But FO4? I mean, I spent about 50hrs on FO4, but it’s still not that great.

24. Chillicothe says:

Some of these votes are odd. I’ll have to hear their reasoning.

25. manny says:

BAFTA is for film and tv, they have no business judging video games which are a much higher artform. Do they play games? No. Do they make games? No. Do they design games? No. They don’t do shit.

Since there doesn’t appear to be any alternative, Brian Fargo and the people surrounding him should make up their own video game awards as he and others around him are responsible for some of the best RPG’s which are arguably the highest form the video game has reached as yet.

26. Synesthesia says:

+1 to the fallout 4 bullshit. That’s a fast way to throw away your credibility.

27. PracticallyImprobable says:

Honestly, it unconscionable. It’s like the Brit’s have some unrealized deep seeded jealousy of a dynamic Polish developer. Witcher 3 was say, a once in 5 year game for it’s excellence.

28. craigdolphin says:

GOTY to Fallout. Huh.

All I know for sure is that this tells me that may earlier apathy towards the Bafta awards was far too generous. Clearly, the collective opinion of the Bafta voters deserves considerably more scorn going forward. Noted for future reference.

29. DancesWithSheep says:

A warning about leaving the EU if ever there was with inferior British product endorsed over quality European product :p

30. Wafflepocalypse says:

So console-centric it borders on absurdity. Undertale doesn’t even make the short list for best game, and Witcher 3 loses to everyone’s fifth favorite Fallout game. Why are we so masochistic as to even pretend these people have an ounce of credibility?

31. KingFunk says:

Is it not just a teeny bit possible that those who voted Fallout 4 genuinely liked it? Haven’t played it yet, but I hear plenty of people do like it…

32. tonicer says:

ROFL nice April fools joke … wait … *checks calendar* … WTF?!

What is wrong with gaming nowadays? Aaah yes i remember consoles … crazy how those things still exist.

33. trn says:

Didn’t Destiny win best game last year? At least Fallout 4 got a PC release.

Its like the OSCARS though, these awards aren’t meant to speak for peasants like us.

34. BooleanBob says:

I feel like with all the Fallout 4 furore what’s being missed is that the crime, the ACTUAL CRIME here is that there were no awards for Splatoon.

35. theirongiant says:

Delighted to see Rocket League getting so much recognition, it’s kinda dumb sounding premise masks what is the closest computer games have come to capturing the experience of playing football, it’s a game where the difference between success and failure is measured in milliseconds and millimetres and has a seemingly endless skill ceiling.

36. Wagrid says:

I’m really glad I loved Life is Strange as much as I did, or else I suspect I’d read every single 2015 GOTY write up ever grumpy about Pillars of Eternity (my other favourite game of last year) not winning anything.

As it stands though, Chloe Price 4ever.

37. animal says:

Terrible choices.
    Fallout 4: For me it’s average at best and doesn’t add anything of value to the previous Fallouts. Ok, some people really love it.
    Bloodborne: Fight, die, fight and get 10% further, die. I have it and I’m currently playing it, but for design it’s no Rocket League.
    Prison Architect: Stupid category, even worse winner. It’s an ok game, but there are many better indie games to have nominated.
    Arkham Knight: I don’t even need to type anything.

38. Mrice says:

A lot of people in the comments thread are justifying a lot of the poor choices here as a matter of opinion.

But i personally think an argument needs to be made that as critics the people who selected these games need to be to an extent objective, and specifically fallout 4 was objectively a poor game.

• fish99 says:

I’m interesting in hearing your justification for that statement.

Don’t get me wrong, I was disappointed with Fallout 4, especially the latter parts of the story, and I didn’t like any of the factions, but that’s an opinion, i.e. subjective.

39. Fernando Partridge says:

The individuals at BAFTA responsible for the obvious bought Fallout 4 fake award probably need to be investigated for corruption, but then again, maybe not? Because, is the BAFTA award actually worth anything now? Obviously and clearly, not. We now know that the BAFTA award is totally worthless and means absolutely nothing. If anything, BAFTA have shot themselves in the foot with this sickening paid promotion and revealed the organisation to be a total scam and a farce. I doubt there will be any criminal investigation because nobody has actually gained anything from this? If anybody has lost anything, BAFTA have lost all reputation forever, never to be regained.