Death, Despair And Lovely Cutscenes: The Banner Saga 2

I’ve spent so long frolicking in the intangible tangerine skies of VR-land lately that it’s genuinely bewildering to look at a traditional game again. It’s so… flat. So… image-y. And also so sharp and fluid and won’t make my eyeballs pulsate and flail as if dancing helplessly to some unseen disco beat from hell. Confusing matters worse is that gorgeous strategy/roleplaying/survival opus The Banner Saga – and its upcoming sequel Banner Saga 2 [official site] – continues to look like a game that is simultaneously from the past and the future.

The crisp, animated fantasy cartoon look always put me in mind of the rotoscoped Lord of the Rings, while the fidelity of its art and animation seems to go to places that no other game has. The sequel’s due out in a week and a half, and given that we’ve been using year-old footage for quite some time, this seems like the appropriate moment to drop a launch trailer. Warning: depicts mild use of alcohol.

Yup, that’s the Banner Saga alright. Death, despair, desolation and uncommonly lovely cutscenes. Seems like they’ve dialled stuff up just a notch in the epic stakes, but other than that it would seem to be primarily business as usual. I suppose what I want most from it is a slightly different flow, as the samey combat killed my enthusiasm before I could finish the original, but when Pip chatted to devs Stoic last year it sounds like they’re addressing that.

“The combat boards are all going to be hand touched. They’re going to be scripted to really follow the narrative so it’s never going to be this situation where I’m just on a blank board with random spawners.”

There’s also going to be a new faction in the mix, the Centaur-esque Horseborn, to liven things up. Looking forwards to it, basically – and because it’s 2D rather than 3D I should be able to play it on an enormous virtual cinema screen without issue.

From this site

1. Laurentius says:

Plz, let the combat remain the same as in BS1 just more of it and fix the save system, let me have multiple saves on multiple playthroughs.

2. Snowyflaker says:

More Banner Saga is just great. Not sure if I agree with that the epicness scale has been turned up for the sequel since the plot of the first game was pretty damn epic once you hit the middle part.

3. Zanchito says:

I really enjoyed Banner Saga. Read all the map hints, tried to figure out world history, loved the art and tone of the game. And that music! Really such a lovely game, really looking forward to more of it.

4. adwool says:

It’s really great game . I like to play in this game when I have free time. I know mobile app marketing company where all users can get more information about The Banner Saga 2.

• Thurgret says:

I guess the bots have learned how to pick game names out in order to comment on gaming websites, but what’s going on with the strange phrasing?

• CaptainDju says:

I was thinking the same thing, this is more elaborate than what I’m used to. If I see a bot comment posted with Skynet as its username I’m gonna freak out.

• Fenixp says:

Mobile app marketing company? I’m currently not at all interested in such a thing. I always wondered if there’s a way to make money from my home tho. Guess I’ll never know.

• HeavyStorm says:

Go learn English, bot.

Skabooga says:

If I had investment amounts of money, I would investigate if the animators and writers of Banner Saga would be interested in making a feature length film.

Captain Narol says:

Really loved The Banner Saga for its moving and epic story, despise a clunky combat system…

So even if they don’t fix the combat system, I’m in for more of this delicious gem !