No Man’s Sky Soundtrack Details And Taster Track

We don’t often cover game music news on RPS, because there’s always the terrifying risk that it opens the door to more people sending us press releases about their chiptune albums inspired by Zelda. But I’m flexing the informal rule today, partly because No Man’s Sky remains so much of an unknown quantity even just two and half months from release, and partly because I really like what I’m hearing of 65daysofstatic‘s OST so far.

The soundtrack will be released separately as No Man’s Sky: Music for an Infinite Universe on June 17th, just before the game’s release on June 24. Primarily instrumental UK band 65daysofstatic provide the sounds, and going on first track Supermoon, below, they’re going for Godspeed You Black Emperor Does 70s Sci-Fi Does Disco kinda thing. I rather like it.

You may also have heard the somewhat similar Débutante, the track which accompanied NMS’ early reveals. Both tracks will be on the soundtrack album, along with eight others and assorted ‘soundscapes’ – approx. two hours of celestial ear-massaging all told. You see, it isn’t simply ‘songs’ that will constitute the aural aspect of No Man’s Sky – 65daysofstatic claim to have provided a large library of sounds to ensure that what you hear will be as randomised as what you see/explore/shoot.

More details plus pre-order links (it’s out on CD and Vinyl as well as digital) and tour dates here. As for the game itself, No Man’s Sky is launching on June 21st at £40.

From this site

1. Luciferous says:

One thing I really dig about these cats is that their music sounds like stuff you used to make with the Music generator stuff on PS1… But done by professionals.

2. clive dunn says:

Ahh nuts, looks like my ‘never pre-order anything ever’ rule is going to be broken. 65 Days of Static’s last album really hooked its claws in me. This is great news. Of course the gameplay might still be crap but at least it’ll look and sound fantastic.

keefybabe says:

Great band!

4. Barberetti says:

I have a feeling I’m going to be spending a lot of time in this game cruising the galaxy in my spaceship, while blasting my guitar along to the soundtrack.

Can’t wait.

• ribby says:

How many arms do you have?!

• Barberetti says:

Just the two! I’m assuming my spaceship will have some form of autopilot. If not, I guess I’ll be operating the joystick and throttle with my feet ;)

5. Umberto Bongo says:

They seem to have been edging into the epic Space Rock direction more and more over the course of their albums. Check out their Silent Running soundtrack for a beautiful stopgap until this arrives. Or just their entire discography.

6. Ansob says:

I’m probably going to skip NMS (way too many things to play to get it at launch), but I’m a massive 65dos fan and will most likely be buying the soundtrack.

7. Plank says:

So much hype surrounding this game.

• pistolhamster says:

1000 miles wide and 2 inches deep

• UniuM says:

And the dangerous kind of Hype also.

Captain Narol says:

Sometimes, Hype delivers… And I have the feeling that this time it will.

We shall have a thought for people like you and what they missed when we’ll enjoy the game.

Wait… No, in fact. We’ll be too busy exploring this great colorful universe to think about anything else !

• All is Well says:

Claiming you have a “good feeling” about something is perhaps one of the worst grounds for smugly suggesting that others are going to be missing out. Especially as they could just buy the game if it does indeed turn out to be good.

Captain Narol says:

Finally buying a game they had previously dismissed by advance just because of the hype would be a form of self-admission of their wrongness, however…

Indeed being abble to aknowledge your mistakes and correct your behavior in consequence is a great step toward self-improvement.

As for the grounds for my suggestion, who needs grounds when you have endless skies to explore ?

Just my feelings anyway, the final game may feel great to some and boring to others, to each their own. My real point is that dismissing something just because of the hype is as shallow as falling blindly for that same hype…

• UniuM says:

I’m dismissing this game, in fact i’m so much in the hype train as you.
            I consider this a dangerous kind of hype because you have almost no information on this game. And don’t point me to cobra TV on YT because their hype is over 9000.

Last time i was so hyped on a game i had a pretty good ideia on what i was getting 2… maybe 4 months before release. (Diablo 3)

This on the other hand is really tight on info on mechanics. You know the game basis, and that’s it.

It could turn out to be awesome, but it could also be a ripoff. And that my friend is why i call it a dangerous kind of hype.

cheerz

• Napalm Sushi says:

And almost all of it generated by the public.

Seriously, the devs just pop up with a controlled press demo every few months, humbly answer a few common questions and then get back to their jobs. Yet there’s this popular idea that they’re whipping up the gaming world like circus masters teasing abused lions, and I’m unsure where it’s coming from.

• Bernardo says:

To be fair: slowly dripping info to the public, remaining secretive about details and throwing in some buzzwords like “procedurally generated universe” is a tried and true PR method. Particularly because you can always retreat to “well, we didn’t promise that” (we just kept on heavily implying it.

• Napalm Sushi says:

Have crowdfunding and Early Access changed people’s expectations of game development this much? If they were any less communicative, people would be dismissing the game as vapourware, but surely there’s still acceptable ground between that and baring your game like a medical cadaver from the moment of announcement?

• Bernardo says:

Sure. I don’t have a lot of expectations, but I’m pretty sure they do have a marketing strategy and the way they communicate isn’t just because they’re humble. I mean, they did throw around spectacular-sounding terms that everybody knows will resonate with the public, and supported them with equally spectacular, carefully choreographed trailers. They can do that, and I mean, it’s absolutely necessary, but it’s certainly more strategic than just “humble” devs answering questions. Half-hour IGN specials and Colbert Show appearances aren’t exactly noncommunicative.

• Urthman says:

In what sense is “procedurally generated universe” a buzzword rather than a straightforward description of the game? How would you describe that aspect of No Man’s Sky without using whatever part of that phrase you think is just a buzzword?

• brucethemoose says:

A lot of people desperately want the kind of game NMS could potentially be.

I think that’s why the NMS hype is particularly dangerous. People have this perfect image of a procedural space game in their heads, and there’s no way the actual game can meet those expectations.

8. Sp4rkR4t says:

Been heavily anticipating this album (and game I suppose) and it’s nice that Supermoon in no way disappoints. Wonderful track that has me whizzing through the universe in my mind already.

9. Bobtree says:

Web music players without volume controls suck.

• Jinoru says:

uh, there are controls on the site itself. Nevermind the embeding.

keithzg says:

Also on whatever device the person is using to play it. I mean, I know my computers all have easy volume controls . . .

10. Bernardo says:

I’m also not digging the hype. But the thing is this: if that game is “just” a pretty walking/flying simulator with that soundtrack, I’m certainly going to spend more than a few nice evenings with it. I’m currently using Witcher 3 as walking/riding simulator, after all. No fast travel for me.

Also: “chiptune albums inspired by Zelda” – the horror!

11. All is Well says:

Is this crescendocore?

12. Stevostin says:

Drum is out of place for a game (and quite bad to start with). Synths and guitar sounds like some cheap Borderlands. I do hope it’s the menu soundtrack and we have something better while playing.

particlese says:

I got a strong “abrasive Mirror’s Edge 1” vibe from it. I’ll see how it feels in-game before judging it too harshly, but I get the feeling they’ll have made the non-musical part of the game’s soundtrack good enough to stand on its own. Here’s hoping…

13. zeep says:

Nice. But something in that drumloop is clicking on the 1.

14. BarryDennen12 says:

I think I’ll just be doing what I do with most games when their music is too obtrusive – I’ll put on Oblivion or Starbound tracks instead.

• UniuM says:

Everyday shooter. google that, best soundtrack for chill gaming.

15. cpy says:

This song will be 100x better than the game itself, i guarantee it!

16. potatopowered says:

Nice tune–and not simply because it helps to reduce the cynical grumbling of jaded gamers to mere cosmic background noise.

17. Murdock says:

Should be a crime, if a person state a judgment before something is not even out yet, to be judge with reason and LOCIG. Damn negative people, they are everywhere.