The Division: How To Make Money

There are three types of money in The Division, which is interesting when you consider that the plot is a thinly-veiled criticism of material greed. Here is a game in which the “dollar flu” has crippled the financial capital of the western world and it turns out to be an MMO-like murderthon about getting more stuff. I don’t know if the game is clever or if it just lacks self-awareness. Anyway, here’s how to make loads of money. The Recharge Station upgrade in the Tech Wing will also increase any Dark Zone funds gathered by 10%, but that’s less important early on.

Before we look at each currency and how best to earn, there are some upgrades you should consider getting first. The Medical Wing has an upgrade called Counseling which gets you 10% extra credits on all activities, which is an excellent early investment.

Regular credits

Dollar bills are out, on account of them being infectious, and “credits” are in. Blasting your way through the story missions is your first good bet, and doing them again on Hard will net you even more cash. The side missions are good for XP and the encounters are OK for supplies but neither is as good as story missions for making money. There are a few steps you can take outside of this to ensure you are always rolling in it.

Be frugal: Don’t go on a splurge. That rifle suppressor in the shop you think is excellent will probably drop within the next hour or two of playing. This is especially true early on when you are leveling fast. Your weapons and gear will become outdated ludicrously quickly so spending lots of money on new stuff isn’t advisable. If you are low level and you want a particular gun or piece of gear very badly, consider finding the side mission which offers the blueprint and working up to that. Then gathering the supplies and crafting it yourself. The crafting system is a bit overlooked by the game’s tutorials, so we’ve explained it all here.

Always Be Closing: Sell your unwanted loot. There’s a balance to be struck here between selling your junk and deconstructing it into usable materials but generally speaking if you are low-mid level you should sell, sell, sell. HOWEVER, some items are worth such a pittance it is better to deconstruct them. Know which road to take. You can mark everything you don’t like in your inventory and then flush it all away to any vendor, or deconstruct it on the spot. Remember that better loot gets you better cash, so you might consider wearing gear which boosts your scavenging skill, which determines how much loot is dropped and how good it is. You can also up this skill by 15% once you get all upgrades on the Security Wing. But that is much later.

Go dark: The Dark Zone has some good shit. Extracting things from the DZ to your stash and then hawking them to your boys at home base is a good way to get money and new gear for yourself. If you plan to trawl the Dark Zone a lot, there is a Tech Wing upgrade called Recharge Station which increases your DZ funds (see below) by 10%, much like it’s Medical Wing equivalent. However, considering the amount of regular money you can make from selling even crappy DZ loot, this upgrade is a lot less important than increasing the size of your extraction bag. For this reason, getting the Communications upgrade in the Tech Wing, the Dark Zone Ops upgrade from the Security Wing, and the Decontamination Unit from the Medical Wing are all much better investments. Having all three will increase your biobag’s size from 6 to 9, allowing for more extracted goodies.

Dark Zone funds

This is the (almost) exclusive currency of the DZ. As mentioned above, the Recharge Station upgrade is useful. But the most common way to earn funds is just to form as big a group as possible with other players and go on an NPC killing spree inside the walls. Although the recent patch has reduced the amount of funds dropped by enemies it is still the most straightforward way of earning. Your real goal in the DZ is extracting good loot and killing the named enemies for Phoenix credits (see below), so DZ funds are pretty much accrued as a byproduct of this.

If you want to go rogue, in search of the dollah and goods from other agents, my advice is simple: don’t bother. The punishment for dying while rogue is severe – a loss of thousands of experience points, thousands of DZ funds, any loot you have, plus any DZ keys you are carrying (used to open special chests). The latest patch made this less harsh but the rogue system is still finding its feet. What’s more, the rewards other people will get for killing you are great. That red skull doesn’t mean you’re dangerous – it means you’re marked for death. If DZ funds don’t matter to you and you just want to be a rogue for the thrill and challenge: be my guest, we need more bastards like you.

Phoenix credits

Phoenix credits are the endgame currency unlocked when you hit level 30. They are for buying bling-encrusted weapons from the High-end vendor at your Base or from the special vendor in the north of the Dark Zone (he lives in an abandoned church and I think he either killed a priest or used to be one).

We’ve already covered the best way to make this kind of money in our guide to the endgame but the gist is this: do daily missions and tackle the four ‘challenging’ missions as often as you want (Lincoln Tunnel Checkpoint, Warren Gate Power Plant, Lexington Event Center and the Russian Consulate are all endlessly replayable on challenging). Usually one of the daily missions is set to challenging anyway, meaning you will get 50 Phoenix credits in total: 30 credits for busting through on the highest difficulty and an extra 20 for the daily reward. Prioritise this and do the other daily missions on hard. Then, if you feel like it, run through the others on challenging or the same one again. I find Lincoln Tunnel Checkpoint is the easiest of these if you are thinking of rinsing and repeating.

However, this can be very dull. A more exciting method of getting Phoenix creds is to form a pack and create a strong route through the Dark Zone. Team up and learn the best way to go from one named enemy to another throughout DZ01 to DZ03. These guys will drop 1-3 credits each on death. Don’t neglect the subway tunnels, as there are named enemies and dozens of henchmen down there, ripe for the murdering.

If you are part of a co-ordinated team you might consider heading deeper into the DZ. A recent patch says the named level 32 enemies found in the northern sectors drop 3-5 credits but having been on recently I haven’t noticed this. These fights can be brutal too, and given the DZ’s tendency to spawn grumpy rioters behind you when you aren’t looking, carries a bit of a risk.

There you have it. For more guides and tips on The Division, come this way

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. ukpanik says:

Best way to make money with The Division is to constantly write articles about it for Ubisoft.

• DeadCanDance says:

Damn you! You beat me to it! Really now, what other reason is there? What a mediocre game with shitty metacritic and steam reviews score…

• teddancin says:

Yes how DARE this company that provides endless enjoyable reading material while simulate roust fostering community fill it’s coffers with commercial activity.

• teddancin says:

“Simultaneously,” oi, phones are dumb.

But not as dumb as complaining about marketing.

• Aerothorn says:

And by ‘commercial activity’ we mean ‘providing content that a lot of people want to read.’ The horror!

• Aerothorn says:

While we here at Castle Shotgun don’t care about metacritic scores, I’m confused as to how an 80 is ‘shitty.’

• secuda says:

*mediocre* not shitty. but that can sum upp almost all Ubisoft present games.

• Phasma Felis says:

“a mediocre game with shitty metacritic and steam reviews score” is what DeadCanDance said.

• DeadCanDance says:

Thanks phasma… youre lovely

• Viral Frog says:

Judging a product by it’s Metacritic and Steam Review scores? Seems a bit less reliable than judging it from personal experience, don’t you think?

Don’t you also think that trusting reviews, which are unlikely to change, about an online game in a constant state of metamorphosis is a bit silly? I do.

I’ve been rather enjoying The Division. I typically hate everything that Ubi puts out, so I was expecting the same from this. I was expecting to try it for an hour. not like it, and refund it.

Something about the gameplay is refreshing and really grabbed me. It doesn’t necessarily do anything new or innovative per se, but the PC scene doesn’t have nearly enough good cover-based third person shooters. PC is so lacking on that front, in fact, that I’m having to learn how to properly play a cover based shooter.

• Jediben says:

Here, have all the rep.

2. Cerzi says:

Here comes another wave of seo, catch yall later.

3. Blackcompany says:

The game is grossly lacking in self awareness. To a disturbing degree. I mean, let’s be honest, your basic role as a player is to massacre civilians by the score.

Sure, these people are also trying to kill you. But how many truly psychopathic people can live in one city? The whole premise behind the (badly matched) game play is ludicrously stupid.

For a company that claims all of their games must draw influence from the real world (a stupidly, nonsensically limiting premise in this medium to begin with) they sure do end up lampooning their own inspirations quite frequently.

Dear Ubi:

Stealing game play from fantasy and science fi games and shoving it Willy nilly into your “real world” settings doesn’t work very well. Especially not when it ends up as a civilian massacre simulator.

• Occulto says:

What doesn’t work for you works just fine for scores of others. These civs that you mention getting murdered chose to join what amounts to illegal street gangs and forgo all sense of law and order. Law abiding citizens are not harmed.

• Blackcompany says:

Oh, I don’t mean it can’t be overlooked and even enjoyed. It is after all a game.

But yeah, self awareness isn’t something Ubi does well.

• cqdemal says:

Fair enough. I love the game but at the same time I keep chuckling at the number of kills I’ve racked up – an average of roughly 67 deaths per hour.

• anHorse says:

It’s like I’m reading Millar’s run on Judge Dredd all over again

• nearly says:

What you’re describing is fascism. I enjoy the hell out of The Division, but let’s not pretend its politics are anything but utterly repulsive. Fascism is one thing when you’re in grimdark Warhammer 40K and an entirely different thing when you’re in ripped from the headlines Manhattan. The same with the upcoming Ghost Recon, which looks fun, but in a “I’m playing a game for entertainment which more or less glorifies the disastrous effects of the War on Drugs for half a continent.”

These criminals that you’re wholesale murdering are identified as criminals purely based on profiling, and you’d be an utterly ineffective player if you didn’t open fire on them well before they’ve done anything at all to indicate that they are hostile–that is, anything other than existing on a street corner. Like Arkham Knight, it seems to have a number of underlying false conceptions about “rioters” or “looting,” especially as accompany (according to the media but in reality not really) natural catastrophes.

Aside from that, how many other games see you murdering “looters” at electronics stores just so that you can in turn loot the store yourself for crafting supplies? How many other games make villains of prisoners from a place where juveniles have been held for years on end without a trial? Where prisoners are served rat poison? Where numerous other rampant abuses make a compelling argument for shutting the facility down immediately?

If you read the article on RPS where someone interviewed a cop friend (I think it was a feature for Battlefield: Hardline), they talked about the siege mentality where police feel that their work is unappreciated and they’re constantly under attack by a public they’re trying to serve who don’t know how things really are. This game is that fantasy taken to new extremes, and it’s a wonder they decided to proceed with it after the embattled fate of the politically focused Rainbow 6 they tried to make. I would guess the reason this one made it through is that it wasn’t hostile but rather much more celebratory of the political leanings of their target market.

• that_guy_strife says:

Wow. Talk about fantasy …

• Blackcompany says:

Very well said.

I think its time Ubi rethink their stance on real world settings and look into something a bit more…fantastical.

• Distec says:

“I would guess the reason this one made it through is that it wasn’t hostile but rather much more celebratory of the political leanings of their target market.”

Are you saying that The Division’s target market has right-wing/fascist leanings? I’m trying to extract some other meaning from this, but that seems to be exactly what you’re saying.

That’s a bit much, yes?

• GWOP says:

Even if the audience don’t, the games certainly have fascist leanings.

• toxicfiend1957 says:

i find this to be a very fun game as just looking at how good it is in the scenery area alone is great.Then to see the birds trying to catch the rats running around also i saw the other day and more since dogs taking a crap and then scratching the ground after it.Sometimes i feel people need to stop playing and just roam the streets and look at how well designed this game is.

• MiniMatt says:

Cripes*, if I were to add up all the pixelated people (and goblins) I’ve offed over the years… well the coming of Cthulu is not what you people should be worrying about is all.

Did have a slight moral moment as I rounded a corner to see two people picking over the belongings of a corpse in the street. They had red health bars, so naturally I machine gunned them down without blinking. Then picked over the belongings on their corpses. Back at the base of operations everyone called me a hero.

* do people say “cripes” any more? I think people should say “cripes” more. I’m bringing that sucker back.

4. KillahMate says:

I don’t know if the game is clever or if it just lacks self-awareness.

Do you have to ask?

5. kalu_the_cat says:

Worst thing right now is having to run into the Dark Zone for those blueprints.

6. GenialityOfEvil says:

Someone should make a game where the objective is to give away your stuff as quickly as possible. Just like poker, so my friends tell me.

7. OmNomNom says:

I’m surprised at how one sided the hate is for this game with RPS readers.
    Usually there are at least a few people prepared to hop in and defend it.
    Has the honeymoon period worn off that quickly already?

• anHorse says:

Well it’s not a great game.

However the backlash here probably has more to do with the number of articles published and how they’re vastly different from the usual sort of thing RPS publishes.
      It’s a fairly transparent attempt to appeal to a group of readers who are not the typical longtime RPS readers and that’s clearly an issue for some people.

Personally I don’t give a shit but I suspect that’s why there’s such a sustained negative reaction.

• DeadCanDance says:

I just hope brendan isnt too tired of writing these trap articles already.

• that_guy_strife says:

I think a lot of people that woulda been ready to summon points in defense of the game, have been disappointed to death.

Getting to 30 is fun. Getting to 31 (gear) maybe not so much. But then the terrible loot, crafting, gating, online, bugs and glitches, and just generally clunky/broken mechanics all over the game … It’s one great thing is how it looks. With all settings cranked up, it’s the first time it’s actually felt like walking in a snowstorm. Except for IRL here in the cold north.

• Morcane says:

It’s not so much that the game is bad, it’s more that the developer behind it is completely clueless.

• MiniMatt says:

Long time RPS reader here and whilst I’ve defended the game in other threads I just find there’s little point in repeating myself. Hate is perhaps a more powerful motivator than love.

It’s not The One True Game, the Game to End All Games, but it’s a very good game. Whilst there will be some who can sink hundreds of enjoyable hours into it, for many, myself included, they’ll get 40 solid happy hours. Now sure, I’ve got 1000+ hours in the likes of Kerbal & Civ, but for me, any game which can provide solid entertainment at ~90p an hour meets my classification of a good game.

Now I’m not really a fan of cover shooters, or shooters in general much any more. And I’m certainly no Ubisoft fan – I think this is the first Ubi game I’ve bought in a very long time. I actually did stick to my personal Ubisoft boycott for a long time, missed out on some decent games as a result. Yep, Uplay is still cack, and yep Ubisoft customer support/interaction is still dire, and yep the PC version is hamstrung with patching delays caused by adherence to console certification.

But the game itself – it’s a good game. It’s a very good game. I might not go as far as to say it’s a great game, but it will certainly deserve it’s place in many of the “best of 2016” lists come Christmas.

• Viral Frog says:

As far as I can tell, people are upset because the writers at RPS are actually enjoying The Division, so they continue to write about it for large swathes of people who are, like them, also really enjoying The Division.

I happen to be really enjoying The Division. And all the gripes I’ve seen leveled against it seem to be stemming from a lack of realism, as far as I can tell. Last time I checked, I was playing a video game, not venturing into the real world. :P

• Shizzle says:

No need to defend anything here. Haters gonna hate. I still enjoy The Division alot. Even after 100+ hours. Great fun…

Philopoemen says:

For whatever reason, Ubi/Massive has suspended the Dailies, so you’re stuck grinding the DZ for phoenix credits atm. Yay.

• MiniMatt says:

As best I can tell from the various forums this should be fixed on the 12th.

The most convincing explanation from the community (because, yeah, Ubisoft customer interaction) is that the dailies were specified, hard coded, in a client side file. Yep, each individual date had a specified daily, and the dates only went up to the 8th – speculation is that the big “incursions” patch we’re seeing on the 12th was scheduled to go out earlier, the push back to the 12th overlooked the fact no new dailies had been specified.

Sure, bizarrely bad coding, but one can see how placeholder code gets left in and then forgotten about.

Not being able to simply deploy a quick fix patch seems tied to console certification, and yep, I guess this is an example of whatever console vs PC argument people will want to make.

Now to be clear: the above is just the community conspiracy theory, but it’s a pretty well evidenced one, pointing to client side files anyone can look at. – link to

• Misfit_Division says:

They didn’t suspended. It was hard coded in your files on your disk. So it is for everyone like that because these events weren’t checked online but directly on your hard disk files.

9. clara20 says:

My last payment was $8474 working 11 hours a week online..SR My sisters friend has been averaging 16k for months now and she works about 19 hours a week. I can’t believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do…N30

• Misfit_Division says:

In 1 hour of The Division, we get over 200K $, we’re better than you :)