What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Scientists this week observed, with some degree of alarm, that the number of video games whose existence we can prove is increasing every day. Where do they come from? Where do they go? What will we do when all known electrons in the universe are turned into video games? More importantly, what are you playing this weekend?

Adam: [I’m going to guess Adam is playing whatever catches his eye at Rezzed, then will sleep for a hundred years.]
Alec: I was planning to keep combing through the 60-odd games released for the Vive, but unfortunately my eyeballs have exploded and that won’t be possible until I’ve had a bit of a break from VR. However, I am tempted to check out the VR-focused ADR1FT in non-VR, because I’m an awkward bugger like that. I’ve also had the Torment: Tides of Numenera beta sat on my hard drive for too many months, which I keep meaning to check out but keep hitting against the psychic ceiling of “but what if it somehow destroys my fondness for a game I played 15 years ago?” I am ridiculous.
Alice: I also need to sleep for a hundred years. Maybe I was projecting with Adam there. But I do want to check out Killing Floor 2’s new Versus Survival mode. And after a midnight showing of The Witch, I quite fancy a few small spooky games – which reminds me I haven’t dug into Itch in far too long. But also sleeping for a hundred years.
Graham: I’ve crossed into that latter stage of a games journalist’s (normally short) career. If I were a musician, this is where I’d quit my band, retire to my ranch, and produce a series of poorly received instrumental albums of world music. Since I’m not a musician, it’s instead triggered by having a child. Now whatever I write will have a single, omnipresent undercurrent: I do not have time to play games; the games I do play are on a mobile phone held in one hand and not on a PC; I am very tired.
John: [Rezzed fancy-catchers, I’d wager, then travel and babies and all of that dad stuff look I don’t know.]
Philippa: This weekend I will continue picking my way thought the gaming selection box that is EGX Rezzed. I’m looking forward to it because I usually find a few unexpected delights as well as bumping into nice people. I think I’ll also try to make the most of still being in London too, though. I might look up which gallery shows are still on and spend Sunday holed up in a museum somewhere – possibly the Museum of Childhood for the Clangers, Bagpuss & Co exhibition. They’ve got some Noggin The Nog stuff as part of that which I’m excited to see. When I was younger I spent about a year doing volunteer work for my local museum which has a bunch of Bagpuss and Rupert Bear stuff because Smallfilms (the little company which made Bagpuss and The Clangers and so on) and Mary Tourtel (Rupert Bear’s creator) were based in the area.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. lowprices says:

Well all Heroes of the Storm character are free this weekend, so I’ll be playing that. I’m also harbouring plans to finally learn to play Starcraft 2 and finally finishing Dark Souls, so they may also get played at some point.

• Rizlar says:

Also gave HOOTS a go yesterday due to the free characters and it’s actually really accessible! Only ever dabbled in DOTA-likes before so it makes a big difference to just have simple skill choices.

Might be stabbing more people in the face with the orc shaman this weekend as well as playing a bit more Dragon’s Dogma.

• Freud says:

Orc shaman you say? Does that mean you have accepted Rehgar as your lord and savior?

• Rizlar says:

Yep, pretty much that but with less sweating. Just played a game where we took them to church, ghost wolf is a dirty ganker and I love it. It was me (Rehgar) mostly supporting Rexxar in mid and Thrall was in bot. Orc bros <3.

• malkav11 says:

I was considering that but I realized I don’t really feel like playing HOTS anytime soon, so even the lure of playing the new and still spendy heroes like the sorceress and necromancer probably won’t be sufficient. It’s a good game, I like it a lot better than I’d expect, but…I’m just not stuck on it anymore.

• Blad the impaler says:

Starcraft’s pretty awesome if you’re with the right people. Good luck, I hope the bug bites.

2. Luciferous says:

Wish I was lucky enough to have my copy of Derp Soles 3, but alas no… so I’m going to piddle fart around a few random games and see if they are worth recording the Tube of You.

3. GameCat says:

I think I’ll play some Dark Souls to wash away yesterday’s obviously and objectively wrong article about DS2 begin better than DS1 and to ease the pain of not beign able to play DS3 in near future. :(

• eclipse mattaru says:

That was some shameless click-baiting, that piece; and one that used major nonsense to support some of its points (mandatory jumping puzzles what?).

I do agree about remixed NG+ and dual wielding being such great additions that now they feel like features that are sorely lacking in the first game, mind, but most of the article was just pants.

On topic, I should beat Fume Knight and Burnt Ivory King THIS WEEKEND, because if DkSIII is anywhere near as good as I hear, I’m afraid I won’t be coming back to SotFS after next tuesday. Unless my PC can’t handle it, which might very well happen.

• Luciferous says:

I watched a few PC graphics comparisons, there doesn’t seem like a massive different between a lot of the settings except reflections so you should be able to get it looking good and running butter smooth on most hardware combos!

4. DiGi says:

Can’t stop playing Rainbow Six Siege.

5. Unsheep says:

I bought a bunch of cars during the week for my RaceRoomExperience game: Gumpert Apollo Sport, Koenigsegg CCGT, Radical SR9 Judd, Ford GT GT1, Carlsson C25 GT, BMW M3 GT2, Audi Sport TT Cup and the Audi R18 TDI Ultra.

Got a couple of extra tracks as well, Salzburgring and Monza. They are both fantastic with faster cars, like the Gumpert and Radical.

I’m continuously impressed with all the TLC and respect that Sector3 applies to each car and track, each car model feels like a game in itself. So when I buy 5 different cars for the game it feels like I’m actually getting 5 different games. Considering I spend 30+ hours in each custom championship event, for each car class, those 5 cars translate into an impressive amount of game-time.

While its great fun to collect a multitude of cars in Forza and Gran Turismo, it’s just as fun when you get a single car that is modeled to the extent as what you get in a RaceRoom or Reiza vehicle. To me that’s the big advantage of a PC sim, you get cars that have more depth to them.

Other games I’ll hopefully find time to play: Lethis, Wasteland 2 and Avernum.

Lars Westergren says:

I finished the Witness, in that I got the “Endgame” achievement, halfheartedly trying to get the completionist “Challenge” achievement but I wonder if I shouldn’t take a break from it.
    Love it though, as I said last week it is now one of my top 3 games ever.

I am considering starting a second playthough on Pillars of Eternity now that all the DLC has arrived, on higher difficulty this time.

I also have Aviary Attourney, I just did the first trial and really enjoyed it, hopefully they have now patched the incomplete ending.

Lars Westergren says:

Update: Aviary Attourney is awesome and you should buy it.

cpt_freakout says:

Aviary Attorney appeals to me as a trve fan of Phoenix Wright & Co, but I was hoping there might be a GOG version. I guess I’m just gonna have to get it from Steam… when I finish PW: Dual Destinies, that is!

• klo3 says:

Would AA work on iPad?

I generally do not play games on iPad (them mostly being games I’ve already played on PC or IAP-crap) but I think I laid of buying AA seeing it might come to iOS and as something that looked like it could work playing in the bed in evenings.

Lars Westergren says:

The buttons and other UI parts are huge, so it should work fine. Tablet is probably a better choice than phone, the beautiful illustrations are packed with small details.

zinzan says:

Playing that horrible game of “DIY or die (Or be social outcast at home)” all weekend if things go badly. Maybe some XCOM:EW, Combat Mission (Italy & Normandy), it might be a first look at Decisive Campaigns:Barbarossa.

8. tonicer says:

I’m gonna play games that support 3 screens … i just bought a third XL2720Z.

Vandelay says:

I will be continuing to play as much of The Witcher 3 as possible before I fall into a Dark Souls 3 void come Tuesday. This game is BIG though, so I can’t see me making that much of a dent.

It is also very good. There has just been so much attention paid to every element of the game that it is incredible it is even able to exist. The side quests are more engrossing then most games’ main quest missions and it really puts to shame the dreary and bland collect-a-thons that most open world games from far bigger studios become.

Vandelay says:

Sorry Witcher, my world has been invaded early. It is Dark Souls all the way this weekend.

Although, I must first play Why is This Not Very Big Update Taking Forever! which is a less fun game.

• McGuit says:

Witcher 3 is an incredible experience.
      Really have to go back in and do some more.
      About 80 hours in and I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface at all. Best realized open world in years in spite of what BAFTA thinks.

• Murdock says:

Hands down the best game ever made.
      I just wanted to say that. Can’t wait for Blood and Wine.

10. Morte66 says:

I’m playing Divinity Original Sin. I’m ambivalent so far.

The dual player character thing is good, and the combat is interesting. The world looks nice. I haven’t seen enough of the story yet to say. The dialogue is the way people write rather than the way people talk, but not obtrusively so.

But the actual playing of the game is a bit of a chore.

E.g. You have to check every piece of gear in the party to see if it needs repairing, AFAICT you can’t tell your guy with Blacksmith skill “repair everything”.

And the crafting (which is too powerful to ignore) is a huge clickfest, which requires a clickfest of inventory management to get the materials to the crafter, and then another clickfest to get the results back to the owners or the guy with barter skil who will sell them.

You can spend more time dealing with the repair/looting/crafting/personnel implications of a fight than you did on the (turn based) fight. I think this would be a better (and shorter) game without crafting or wear and tear.

Also, I think “auto pause when you see a trap” became standard in this sort of RPG for a reason. In this game, I have to move forward a few paces in spurts so I will hear “Wolgrafft has spotted a trap” before he treads on it. Have I missed the setting? Does anybody know a way to do auto-halt in D:OS?

So, it’s shaping to be a good game with a bunch of time wasting makework.

• Moose Malloy says:

I thought they did auto-pause for discovered traps, I might be wrong, haven’t played for a bit. One thing they do very nicely, though, is all walk around traps once discovered, which they don’t bloody do in Pillars of Eternity.

• Morte66 says:

Yes, I’ll give them that. And it’s much more interesting combat than PoE.

• malkav11 says:

I found the crafting eminently ignorable, myself. You say it’s powerful, and it may be, but it’s so fiddly and poorly explained that it’s not worth it as far as I’m concerned and I’ve never felt the lack.

• freedomispopular says:

You really don’t need to bother with repairing until the game tells you your gear is “broken” (which is when it has like 10-15 uses left). Which has happened for me about 5 times in roughly 30 hours.

I eventually just started picking up every thing with my crafter to bypass all the inventory management. And unless you really invest into bartering, I don’t really think it’s worth the trouble of moving every thing over to the barter guy’s inventory (even then, I’m not sure it’s worth it).

And malkav is right…the crafting is fun to play with until you realize how useless it is. There’s really no reason to craft anything as you’ll never be lacking in consumables and you’re always picking up new loot every battle. Use healing spells in between combat, and you’ll never only need to use more than a handful of healing potions during the “boss” battles.

You’re definitely right regarding traps. And the game is not very good about autosaving so make sure you’re constantly quicksaving. I’ve lost more time than I want to think about due to cheap deaths.

cpt_freakout says:

I know this is altogether tangential to your post and that it’s quite the commitment, but maybe if you get a buddy to play with the game will be more fun. I haven’t touched it as a single-player experience, and I’ve had a ton of fun with it while playing along with a friend. You cut the micromanagement in half, and the more boring stuff like crafting becomes something quick and easy to pass idle time while your partner’s AFK or buying potions and whatnot. I think the game is great, but what makes it so great for me is to share it with someone.

11. Serenegoose says:

I’ve been playing only 2 games lately, and not really with much dedication: Enter the Gungeon, and Endless Legend. Enter the Gungeon is really good, but with some moments of frustration – 99% at myself, occasional 1% at empty floor layouts that see me confronting the boss with my starting guns and no items. Endless Legend, we’ll see, but I still need to learn the game!

12. Discosauce says:

I’ll be running through the North West and Southern areas of the outstanding Hyper Light Drifter. I’m trying to find all of the shards, keys, and other secrets before challenging the final boss.

• Velox says:

Same here. Already got all the shards in east and west but don’t have all the outfits, monoliths, guns and gun upgrades yet .. gotta try and look harder.

13. dangermouse76 says:

I’m thinking of doing the BOS in fallout 4.

Spoilers ………………..

The script is odd sometimes I save someone, go to Carrington, he is ecstatic then he tells me to bugger off and bother someone else all the same conversation.Seems a simple thing to line up conversation reactions to appropriate dialogue.

Lars Westergren says:

I suspect that is combinatorial explosion you are witnessing. Coding and testing ONE branch of code is difficult enough. When you have a tree of outcomes it gets much harder. Some characters are parts of many questlines. When the branches of several trees connect, you have to write special cases to handle this, this is where the combinatorial explosion comes in.

“PC is a female, and we have established that the NPC is amusingly lecherous, so they have a special response then. But the PC is also a drow, and the NPC is prejudiced so should react in a special way. But PC is on 3rd node of the ‘noble drow ancestral weapon’ questline, so we override all default responses because if NPC can’t give their quest hint the ‘ancestral weapon’ quest can’t be completed. But the PC has been acting like a monster and have been aligning with a faction that is actively trying to wipe out the PCs home village.”

This is what makes reactive RPGs (which I love) difficult to create, expensive and bug prone.

• dangermouse76 says:

Wow yeah complex indeed. I do notice a lot in Fallout 4 though, I’m sure they have many things to prioritise whilst producing a game of this size.
        But coherent dialogue reactions ( for myself ) would be near the top of the list to really nail down. I’m not a game coder or designer so I can only speak to my reaction as a consumer of the medium as a finished product.
        If a choose you own adventure book had dialogue that out of sync with the tone of the conversation it would be hard to get through or enjoy.
        But as a friend of mine ses, “compewter haard!”

14. Ejia says:

Banished. The first generation of villagers has started dying off, poor things. I’m building them lovely little cemeteries to haunt.

• freedomispopular says:

I love Banished but I always bounce off it pretty hard. The early challenge is trying to get settled and struggling through that first winter is great, but once you get a handle on things, it’s basically easy mode. I wish there were more challenges/random disasters/late game activities to extend the experience. I do find that mods help a lot in this area.

15. UniuM says:

I’m starting a map in Minecraft Infinity Evolved mod pack Mod pack: Skyblock. And i’m gonna do it in SinglePlayer.
    Maybe when i reach tha point that i can’t end the progects i start, its 2023 and everyone is playing with devices strapped to their heads and back.

16. yogibbear says:

Finishing off the Third DLC portion of SOTFS before creating space on an SSD to start the preload for Dark Souls 3.

17. Lintire says:

Beyond Divinity.

So far, I can see why it’s not as popular as Divine Divinity, but I don’t see why it’s so unpopular in comparison. Then, I am only on Act 1.

Pretty much every aspect has been given a lift, from the writing to the combat complexity (you now manage a party) and I get an almost culture-clash buddy cop vibe from the Death Knight that’s soulforged (ethereally handcuffed) to your Paladin.

You can even respec, fun all around.

Looking forward to getting through this one. Divine Divinity left me with a mediocre impression gameplay-wise but the writing – from the intentionally goofy dialogue to the more serious questlines – was top notch.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I played a demo of Beyond Divinity and found the gameplay much worse than Divine Divinity. I quite quickly uninstalled it, because it gave me a very bad first impression. Divine Divinity had simple combat with some easy exploits, but I liked the setting, the environments and enemy variety. The dialogues and weird quests were fun too, it only got tedious at the final area which is one reason I didn’t finish it a second time.

I also felt that you could complete everything, get everything in one playthrough. Some equipment was superior to others throughout the game, meaning there was only one best build. There was little use for experimenting or finding new stuff after that first time, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

• syllopsium says:

Beyond Divinity is fiddly, but enjoyable in parts, It suffers heavily from the ‘optional’ randomly generated levels to boost experience. Without additional experience you’ll be crushed a few levels in, and that isn’t fun.. I got fed up on level 7, just as you’re escaping the dungeons.

18. elmintrude says:

I spent a good few evening hours last week dipping my toe into modding Fallout: New Vegas so I’m planning on enjoying the fruits of my labour.

I’ve already put a few hours in and my word, I’ve made it difficult. The sight of a Mole Rat is enough to send me running back to Doc Michell and politely ask him to reopen my head wound and put be back in the shallow grave from whence I came.

I’m determined to persevere though. I’m a grown up, I should be able to get through it! Then again, I should also be able to erect a shed and lay a carpet but I think they’re both beyond my capabilities.

• Lintire says:

You didn’t combine the J Sawyer mod with any other mod, did you? That’s a mistake.

• elmintrude says:

I did exactly that! It was the last mod I installed and didn’t think it would cause any issues but it stopped the game from launching. I found another one that makes pretty much the same changes but worked for me so I still get to punish myself for existing.

19. Darth Gangrel says:

After playing through Deus Ex HR twice and feeling finished with it (138 hours in total) I’ve started a few new games: Darksiders 1 because it allows for the “throwing heavy stuff at enemies” I found so enjoyable in Deus Ex HR; Battlefront 2, because I thought it would be like Jedi Knight; Armed and Dangerous to get respite from the grimdark and “bad console trends” stuff in Darksiders 1. However, it’s hard to follow up on such a great game, so I’m feeling that neither game really fulfills my expectations. They’re fun to play most of the time, but there is a piece missing for each one to be what I wanted them to be.

Skabooga says:

Wow, when you play a game, you play it thoroughly. I played through Deus Ex: HR twice as well, but Steam only clocks me as having spent 61 hours with the game. But much like certain types of candy, there is no wrong way to play DXHR.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I wouldn’t say that, the game definitely nudges you towards stealth based on how it hands out experience points.

caff says:

Going to try some multiplayer early access games.

Tower Unite is first on my list.

Lars Westergren says:

> Museum of Childhood for the Clangers, Bagpuss & Co exhibition. They’ve got some Noggin The Nog

Philippa, did you just make up words or is that actually something real? Because to an outsider it looks like a parody of Britishness.

• Morte66 says:

Those are all real things in the history of British childhood, and they date Philippa.

• Llewyn says:

Not terribly accurately though – they’re also my early childhood (along with Ivor the Engine), and I’m at least a decade older than her. These things were repeated for a very long time.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

No, Pip is going steady with a group of stop-motion anteaters.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I’m only 27 and those are mostly staples of my childhood, so yeah.

It’s true though. My other half’s american, and for the longest time she was determined I was just making up huge chunks of british culture. Until the momentous evening when the clan and I sat her down in front of youtube and made her watch one episode of everything old and british we could think of. It was a nigh-religious experience, I tell you.

john_silence says:

Just finished Batman: Arkham… Asylum. Half-heartedly shuffling over to Arkham City. Feel like giving Splinter Cell: Blacklist more of a go.
    Also playing “psychologically prepare for the funeral of my estranged father next Wednesday”… Games are a basic escapist necessity right now.

• cairbre says:

I’m sorry for your loss must be tough.

Games are great escapism. I sometimes wish real life had a quick save function rather than always playing on ironman mode

john_silence says:

On the other hand I’d keep spamming the quicksave for fear of missing something instead of enjoying the flow of things.

Thanks for the kind words cairbre!

Herzog says:

Strider – excellent metroidvania. Really enjoying this so far. Making easy progress – not too challenging on normal difficulty.

Spelunky – I almost reached the City of Gold yesterday. Maybe today I can do it…

Dirt Rally – huge update this week. Maybe I find some time to check it out!

• Don Reba says:

I was enjoying it a lot, but then got stuck in the run-up to the final boss battle and lost interest.

Herzog says:

I am only half way through so far. Already read about a difficulty spike near the end.

24. Geebs says:

Good Robot, which is a great twin-stick 2D Descent-like Rogueoid.

Also finished Hyper Light Drifter, which is a good game sabotaged by sticky controls and looking like something that got rejected from the “readers’ pictures” section of ST/Amiga Format.

• Kaeoschassis says:

“twin-stick 2D Descent-like Rogueoid”

I have never googled a game so fast in my life.

25. kulik says:

I´m going to get me some hearth attacks in “Space Beast Terror Fright”.

26. PancakeWizard says:

possibly 20 years too late, I’m finally making the BG1 mod I’ve had written in a Word doc for four years.

• Vacuity729 says:

I have never played BG (it’s in my backlog), and have no idea what you’re planning to make, but as a veteran modder, I’d like to say; good on you!
      It’s an excellent hobby, except for the bit where you stop sleeping, eating, and emptying your bowels and bladder on a regular basis, and will likely force you to learn much more than you ever thought you would learn.

27. Vacuity729 says:

“What will we do when all known electrons in the universe are turned into video games?”

We’ll all be sucked into the supermassive black holes which are currently known as “backlogs”, or “piles of shame.”
    In future times we will come to realise that this was the turning point in the universe; as these seemingly harmless collections were still in the early stages of accreting and condensing all matter in the universe.
    Unfortunately, I’m not only doing nothing to prevent this terrible fate for the universe, I am actually accelerating the process, as I purchased yet another bundle this week, but instead of playing any of the games, am instead playing Settlers 7 and Endless Legend.

• Jay Load says:

I had a moment the other day where I realised that I could partly satisfy my lust for new games by ‘shopping’ through my Steam games list for ones I haven’t played.

It’s a odd time to be alive.

• mouton says:

I have a pretty ancient PC by today’s standards – core2duo 2,6 Ghz, 460GTX.

And yet, the backlog is still so big, I am not going to run out of games for years. It only hurts when something cool and shiny comes out, but frankly, few things will lose charm when played long after release. Oh, and most indies work on old PCs without problems.

• Vacuity729 says:

I had to buy a new machine earlier this year (the old one was a Core2duo q6600), not because it couldn’t play the games I wanted to play, but because it was no longer capable of reliably turning on. Sometimes for days at at time. What I’m using now is unquestionably overkill for most of the games I actually play.

I also sometimes wonder if I bought no more new games, how long the collection of games would last me before I got tired of them all. As a strategy/4x lover, I suspect it would be years as those games tend to all be both long, and highly replayable.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Given that the games I have the most playtime on include Doom, FTL and (my entire folder of random roguelikes), all of which I’ve played for years and none of which I’m bored of, yeah, I don’t think I’d actually NEED to buy any new games for a long, long time.

• Vacuity729 says:

Yes, at the risk of sounding like an old man, it’s so different from when I was young, when buying a new game, any new game, was something like an investment as I certainly wouldn’t be getting any other one for some time after.
        Now, the game simply has to hit a sweet spot between price and interest, or simply be bundled with something else I’m interested in, and it gets hoovered up, no questions asked. And there’s so many of them.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I’ve found adding games to my wishlist as satisfying as buying the things in most cases. Achieves the same goal of reminding me to play it one day, just without the financial outlay.

• Lintire says:

I finally got around to going through Steam’s entire catalogue, all 6700 games or so. Grows daily.

The few hundred on my backlog doesn’t incur shame when looking at the thousands of games I’ve rejected.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I don’t know if I went through the entire catalogue, but I did get through everything they recommended for me once, recently. I was bored and half-listening to something in another tab, took a couple hours. You’re not wrong.

• Vacuity729 says:

I honestly don’t think I’ll ever have the spare time to go through the entire Steam catalogue. Did you mark every single game as either wishlisted or not interested?
        Surely you didn’t buy every game you liked the look of?

• Lintire says:

Just wishlisted/not interested, buying every game I wanted would be nuts.

john_silence says:

Which begs the question: how many games in your wishlist?

• Lintire says:

Well I guess that reply chain ends there. Anyway,

@john_silence 295

• Vacuity729 says:

The next major Steam sale could put a fairly serious dent in your savings, methinks.

28. Jay Load says:

X: Rebirth has become something of an obsession. I’ve completed the first campaign and am now trying the first tentative steps towards setting up a basic income for myself. Currently experimenting with the systems for doing so, buying and crewing ships, etc, and am starting to analyse the local economy a bit. I reckon DeVeries is a good starting point as they’re in shabby condition so if I bring a couple of Constructions ships through from another Government I might be able to successfully plug a couple of resource gaps. Slow going, partly because I keep getting distracted by enemy Capital ships and freighters: I never get tired of taking them apart subsystem by subsystem!

Oh, and I’m also trying to find the DLC missions. Got the X-Perimental one fo the jump drive but am now stuck on a ludicrously arbitrary fetch quest for one of the rarest loot drops in the game. Not cool, Egosoft.

Still, I’m 85+ hours in now and still having a ball.

29. JcDent says:

So I built an EGerman tank deck for Wargame: Red Dragon. I start conservatively, using 800 of the points given at the start of the match to get several 55 point T-72s.

Proceed to get whipped Leopard 2s. I destroyed one of the 135 points monster, which is probably a good part of what they had.

I surrendered and let down the rando playing a soviet para deck.

30. Stranded87 says:

I’ve started playing Consortium, which on paper sounds like my dream game. In practice it’s perhaps a bit too clunky, but I’m enjoying it.

Also decided to give Clash Royale a chance, as it was free and Matt Lees made it sound interesting, despite it looking like everything I hate in games.

31. elvirais says:

I’ve been playing the hell out of Dungeon Defenders again, the first one as I really didn’t like some of the free-to-play annoyances of the sequel. On steam there’s still plenty of people playing and fun to be had.

Risingson says:

Yesterday I finished Dracula Resurrection, one of those games that I forgot I had installed. The graphics are even better than I remember, and the cutscenes are spectacular, but oh man the pixel hunting in those omni3d-like adventures. How irritating it can be.

So I think I am going for Dracula: The Last Sanctuary and then for the Kheops Dracula which they called Dracula 3 … because they were going to be more successful if they did that? Not all in this weekend, but as a plan for the week.

So I can stop doing stupid things in Skyrim. There is a point in that game – and in most RPGs – where you are punished for “spreading too thin”. But, you see, if you don’t spread too thin then the game is the f-ing same strategy over and over in every combat and that is extremely boring to me.

33. fish99 says:

Reached the top 500 in Devil Daggers with a time of 359 seconds, a jump of 93 seconds, after 10 hrs of not improving. Unless you have godlike skill you really have to invest time into the game to improve. I’ve now seen (and killed one of) the giant worms, and maybe I could kill the boss one day, but we’ll see whether I’m willing to invest that amount of time.

Actually what’s been keeping me from Devil Daggers most of the week is The Division, which I’m half way through and is a lot more fun and addictive than I anticipated from playing the beta.

I’m also stuck on Ocarina of Time (3DS) in the tiresome Water Temple.

particlese says:

Nice! Congrats on the new best.

After 7 years, I’ve finally upgraded my gaming PC, and it is a wondrous thing. For continuity’s sake (and because it’s my favorite game at the moment), the last game I played on Zubon the Gray was Devil Daggers, where I got a piddling 200fps, and the first game I played on Zubon the White (he’ll get a new name when I reinstall Windows) was Devil Daggers, where I now get an eye-watering 200fps. My record still stands at 193.something seconds. *shakes fist*

• fish99 says:

Thanks particlese and Kaeoschassis :) If you can do 193 you can do 300+ IMO, it doesn’t really get harder, you just need to figure out the most efficient way to kill the later waves. I’ve put 58 hours into the game to reach that point. It also helps to play on headphones so you can hear the important audio cues.

I wish my computers had names :p

• Kaeoschassis says:

As someone who doesn’t play Devil Daggers solely because of how much of my time I KNOW it’d suck up, but does play a lot of bullet hell, I know how great that feeling of gradual self-improvement is. Hearty congrats to you. <3

34. Barberetti says:

The news of that private WoW server being shut down last week has put me in the mood for some vanilla WoW. So, I’m going to fire up my vanilla WoW server and stomp around the Barrens for a bit.

35. Press X to Gary Busey says:

Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition. Finally going to complete it after all these years and throw it on the small pile next to backlog mountain.
    Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition is the second worst RPG system ever though, right after Vampire: The Masquerade.

• malkav11 says:

Oh, honey. Spoken like someone with very limited RPG experience! I’m not going to disagree that 2E sucks, because it does. But for starters, it’s better than every previous edition of D&D. They had stuff like races-as-classes (so if you were an elf, that was your class), completely arbitrary racial level caps as an approach to balancing the fact that humans didn’t get any special powers…if you think THAC0 is bad, try checking multiple pages of to hit tables!

Or try ridiculously clunky and incoherent stuff like Palladium’s various RPGs, particularly Rifts; legendarily overcomplicated stuff like Rolemaster; then we move on to the really terrible stuff, like FATAL (which has an Anal Circumference stat), World of Synnibarr, etc.

There are reasons D&D has been such a perennial despite its faults! And TBH, even 2E D&D is more interesting in videogames than a lot of non-licensed RPG systems have been. It’s a pity we never have and never will get a proper 4th edition D&D CRPG because that system was practically made for CRPGs. (Not so much tabletop gaming.)

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Now I have to defend my tabletop RPG honour and never apologise for the bait’ish hyperbole! ;)
        And also sadly remember that I haven’t had a proper game night outside some boardgames since the turn of the millennium, the end of our teens when the old group split and moved to different parts of the country. :'(

While we were still going we tried to, but never got far with any DnD, WotC’s Star Wars or even our budding Vampire campaign (I loved buying them for the lore at least).
        A large part of bouncing off was probably due to the flourishing domestic Swedish tabletop RPG market during the 80’s and 90’s (native language and blatantly better designed ;) ).
        We played tons of some Swedish games that we thought were just more fun – Mutant Chronicles (rules that got more unbalanced with every book but awesome lore set in a scifi-steampunk dark age in space and from a company that later turned into Paradox), Drakar & Demoner ’91 (“Dragons & Demons, Swe light-DnD-knockoff but more slick and also some connections to later-Paradox).
        My later favourites were the fantasy RPG Eon and it’s rule-sister, cyberpunkish Neotech. Really system-heavy games with rules more like simulation than boardgaming.

Of course DnD is *the* staple RPG system that even someone’s great grandmother would think of when mentioning RPG’s and perhaps it’s the paper-to-computer adaptation but playing Baldur’s Gate again just reinforces my ((ir)rational) dislike of the rules with counter-intuitive numbers, once-a-day spells, boring and hard low levels and limited character development where you’re almost forced to powergame from the start since you don’t get much clue about progression of the classes if you don’t look up everything in advance.
        In comparison the custom GURPS’y Fallout rules are a lot more fun to play as a cRPG.

I’ll apologise for the hyperbole and DnD-phobia anyway. :)

• malkav11 says:

Oh, like I say, D&D is far from my favorite system and 2E was pretty rubbish. I’m just saying, there are far worse depths to the hobby. :)

36. syllopsium says:

I finally got around to finishing the excellent Botanicula this week, so now I can move on to Samorost 3. Played a little more DoTT remake, and some Jet Set Radio on both PC and Dreamcast.

Also have a desire to play some Ultima, probably Underworld. Fire up the retro PC!

37. jimmydean239 says:

Black desert. Constant black desert in my free time. I thought I’d grown out of mmos but this bloody game won’t stop hacking at me with its claws of addiction. I need help.

38. Zach Fett says:

The Battleborn open beta, it’s extremely addicting! So many characters and they all play pretty differently from one another. I don’t normally like PvP at all, but the multiplayer is a lot of fun, and I mix in some campaign missions when I get sick of players murdering me. :p

39. baozi says:

Fez, finished it earlier (not NG+ yet though). Looks beautiful, was pretty fun too.

40. Det. Bullock says:

Trying to get through Wing Commander V Secret Ops, boy, why do missions in Wing Commander games always fall “shoot a lot of fighters” pattern?
    Yes, technically it’s what the genre boils to but at least make it feel different, dammit!
    Wing Commander IV was on the right track and Prophecy wasn’t that far, but Secret Ops at the moment seems to have regressed to WC1/2/3 levels in terms of mission design, it’s still fun but boy, is it repetitive.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Weird, I remember Secret Ops having a whole bunch of “escort capship through hostile territory”, “blow up multiple enemy capships or fly cover for the bombers doing the blowing up” and so-on. I honestly remember it for the CONSTANT checking of the navmap to find which enemy bomber was the biggest threat to the Cerberus in that split-second far more than I do for boring fighter-hunts.

I’m honestly not sure the game I remember is better, though…

41. Zenicetus says:

I’ll probably take a look at the new Shifters expansion for Endless Legend.

Meanwhile, I keep bouncing back and forth between several games without finishing any of them — XCOM2, Far Cry Primal, Divinity OS, and a second playthrough of Fallout 4. I need to pick one and finish it, before the next massive time-suck game is released (probably Stellaris).

42. Fernando Partridge says:

Hitman: Codename 47. It hit me recently that although I have a vague recollection of playing, some sixteen years ago, I don’t recall ever finishing it. I’m rectifying that now. After finally getting it to run smoothly in openGL mode in 1920×1080 (proper aspect ratio, not stretched) it’s pretty fun and plays better than I remembered. The only downside? The clunky controls. Aside from that, maybe I’ll play some Hitman 2, 3, 4 and 6 and ponder the reason(s) why we never had a decent quality Hitman movie starring David “badass” Bateson, with a film score composed by Jesper Kyd…

43. Gomer_Pyle says:

I will be playing some FTL and perhaps a bit of Oblivion.

44. malkav11 says:

I’m guessing a lot of it, just like last weekend, will be spent playing Hex: Shards of Fate (which is, incidentally, coming to Steam soon). For my tastes, it’s easily the best digital TCG on the market. The cards have so many interesting combinations and it’s easy to create decks with many possible routes to victory; combine those with an already expansive PvE mode (which is less than a third of the announced plans for this campaign, and there will doubtless be others once it’s done) full of cool twists and more toys to play with and I just can’t stop. The “equipment” idea for PvE play is particularly clever since it’s another form of loot to chase and can have profound implications for the effectiveness of various cards, yet because you only have six slots (all distinct) and each piece of equipment only fits in one of those slots, you have to make hard choices about your strategy with them.

I should still finish Oxenfree, and while I made some more progress in Pillars of Eternity (finished all the god quests, for one, and another round of bounties), that’s still on the agenda also. Oh, and during the week, while I was primarily distracted with Hex and Syfy’s The Magicians series, I did get a character through Sorcery! book 1. Hope to get back to books 2 and 3.

Ben King says:

I’d like to start the Talos Principle this weekend, but have some books I really need to read, and meatspace projects I’m keen to get on with now that the weather is slowly improving with spring. Also The Witch movie Alice mentioned is pretty great.

Lars Westergren says:

Talos, good choice! I approve of book reading though. What’s the meatspace project – beach 2016?

46. Dr.Ded says:

I’ll be entering the Gungeon several times this weekend.

47. freedomispopular says:

After being in a gaming slump for a very long time (you know it’s bad when you can’t even find the motivation to play games), I’ve finally gotten around to Divinity: Original Sin. As a fan of CRPGs, it’s checking all the boxes and I’m very much enjoying it, and I feel that the story is stronger than is typically the case. As great as it is, it ultimately doesn’t seem to do a whole lot differently than the rest of the genre.

Roughly 30 hours in, here are some thoughts:

At first the crafting seemed really cool, especially once I started to learn how powerful it is. There’s little to no explanation of how most of it works, which is refreshing, but more info would be nice. I feel like I’ve missed a lot of potential just because I have no idea how certain things are supposed to work, and it mostly just ends up being useless because there’s so much loot and consumables.

And, as is usually the case with these games, I have pages of inventory worth of grenades and potions that I’ll probably never need. I’m still waiting for a game that forces me to carefully balance the risk of using a consumable now versus later. But instead, combat’s so easy I never need them, and even when I do, I just keep finding more and more.

Combat’s devolved into stun/knock down, rinse, and repeat. The environmental/elemental feature is cool, but ultimately falls short. Most of the grenades or spells have too short of a range to be particularly useful, and my melee characters always unintentionally get hit by friendly fire because it wasn’t clear to me that they were standing in a puddle.

The repair mechanic is completely pointless. I’ve had to use it like 5 times. And it’s not like I have a shortage of gear in the event that something does actually break.

I like how the player characters develop their own personality over the course of the game. I feel it has a more organic effect on roleplaying versus the standard “arbitrarily allocate points into these traits.”

Despite these little quibbles, I am thoroughly enjoying myself. It’s certainly worth a playthrough, and it tries enough new things to stand out a bit, but don’t expect anything groundbreaking.

Once I’m finished with this, I need to find something to put my new R9 380 to the test.

48. Llewyn says:

I’ve gone back to Jagged Alliance: Back in Action.

No, really. I rather enjoy it and have been meaning to go back and finish it (or inevitably start a new campaign) for about 18 months. It’s by no means a great game, but as a culture I think we’re too obsessed with greatness and frequently fail to take the pleasures that can be found in more… mediocre things.

I’ve always thought this game’s biggest crime was its name. If it hadn’t been saddled with the JA legacy most of its other flaws would have been tolerated much more widely.

• Unsheep says:

It’s always nice to find people who manage to enjoy something that many, or most, would ignore or throw away.

I’m a big fan of isometric turn-based combat, and ‘Back in Action’ was still fun to play if you really enjoy this kind of gameplay. Like you say, games that are not perfect can still be worth playing.

People obsess too much over finding the next Holy Grail of games. Yet there is no such a thing as a “perfect” game that will suit everybody, because it all comes down to personal taste in the end, what you consider to be ‘fun’.

49. geldonyetich says:

I ended up deviating from Stardew Valley and Dragon’s Dogma to play some Fortresscraft Evolved.

Think 3D Factorio made in Unity, and you won’t be far from the mark. You crash land on an alien planet, build mining units, build lasers to power them, build conveyors to move ore fron deposits to smelters, from smelters to various machines to reach increasingly advanced products, and so on.

It used to be a rather lackluster game, now it’s getting quite interesting. If the developer keeps this up, it has every right to be bigger than Minecraft.

50. eclipse mattaru says:

Gotta wrap up the Dark Souls II DLC before next tuesday. Still have the bosses of Iron King (which will require doing Dragon Aerie too, come to think of it) and Ivory King’s Ivory King. Damn that Fume Knight.

Also should try to find some time for Fallout 4, which I’m still not sure whether or not I like as much as I liked 3. It’s good fun though.