You Wot? Constructor HD Delayed Into Summer

Only a mug trusts the builder’s estimate. Reroofing finished by June? Better stock up on firewood for a long, cold winter. The announced January 29th release date for Constructor HD [official site], a remake of the ace town-building RTS from 1997, made so little impression on me that I didn’t even realise it had passed. Of course it was going to be late. Today developers System 3 explained they got held up adding and revamping more, and they plan to release the game in “late summer”.

Constructor, to briefly recap, smooshes together town-building, landlording, and comic warfare. Players try to build profitable little towns and best rival planners, which is done by a combination of building keeping tenants happy, building fancier houses, and… giving other towns a kicking. Certain buildings gave access to ‘Undesireables’, folks from fire-starting clowns to house-trashing yobs who could be sent in to stress out rivals’ tenants or simply murder people. It was good! I liked it. I remember it fondly. It had that particular ’90s British video game silliness.

As for the HD remake, which includes new graphics and a rebalancing, System 3 say “we want to get it right.” They elaborated in today’s statement:

“As the game has progressed, new ideas have been added to enrich the gameplay, and these new ideas inevitably lead to delays. But rest assured, the team has been working hard on fantastic new updates that will greatly enhance the classic gameplay we all know and love.

“Constructor always had a reputation of being one tough game, so for Constructor HD, we have added a great new Tutorial mode to help the player with the complexities of the game.

“In addition, there is also a comprehensive in-game manual to aide those brain-fade moments. Plus, we’ve also added a cool lever designer mode, which enhances many aspects of game-play, especially online/multi-player games. On the audio side, the guys have been busy recording amazing voice overs provided by a proper geezer.”

DOES THAT MEAN DANNY DYER? The main notable proper geezers are Danny Dyer (the flipping liar), Alan Ford, and Jason Statham, and… oh no, what if it’s Shane Richie?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. crowleyhammer says:

I vaguely remember that if you failed a mission the mob would bury you in concrete in the foundations of one of the houses?

2. CelticPixel says:

Constructor was the first PC game I ever owned, but only by accident because I asked my mum to buy it for me and I actually wanted it on Playstation. I forgave her of course because there was also that time I asked her to rent MDK from Blockbuster and she came home with Riven instead, which turned out to be one of my favourite games ever. Thanks mum! (Also, I’d buy Constructor again)

3. goon buggy says:

I enjoyed the original. If I remember they release this, I might pick it up.
    Now if someone could do a remake of Hooligans storm over Europe. That would be great thanks.

4. Paxeh says:

Oh man I loved this game. I also totally agree with goon buggy over here – Hooligans Storm over Europe please.

Also: please bring back Constructor Street Wars (Called Mob Rule in the US -> link to

5. Neurotic says:

That brings back some memories.

6. Darth Jimmi says:

Never really heard of the original (i quickly checked it ou on and thats it ),but i really love those 90s business management game. OpenTTD is one of the few very best games i ever played, and i still come back to it from time to time to mess with my old save a little.
    I may take a look at this one :)

7. Oricks says:

I decided to register an account just to express how much I adored this game. Hopefully the HD version will do the original justice! Hmmmm sweet, delicious justice.

8. samsharp99 says:

This game was definitely one of my favourites – so many hours sunk into it but it was pretty hard (or I never got a good strategy!) from what I remember. Will definitely pick this up!