Titanfall 2 Trailer Teases Electroswords

Titanfall 2 [official site] will bring whopping great swords for mechs. That’s the important news from the teaser trailer for Respawn’s follow-up to their pretty fun FPS. Also something about heroes and jungles and… I don’t know, the important point is, a mech has a big sword in it. An electrosword, even. I always found the first Titanfall’s mechplay less fun than being diddy little infantry, preferring to wall-run and double-jump around then leap onto mechs and gun their robobrains out, so hopefully this indicates some more fun options for robomen. Sorry, I realise I’m reading too much into a short teaser trailer, but… electromechsword. See:

That’s your lot until June 12th, which is when EA say they’ll release the first Titanfall 2 “gameplay trailer”. That’s two days before E3 2016 starts, when presumably we’ll see and hear a heck of a lot more. Last we heard, the game itself was due before April 2017 and today’s teasing doesn’t clarify anything.

Respawn have spoken a little about Titanfall 2’s plot, saying things like “we are doing our best to deliver a vision of grand global colonial warfare retelling the story of the American Revolution and the American Civil War in space.” Ambitious, that. My question is: yeah, whatever, which other cool toys will mechs get to play with? And will I again need to grind out loads of levels before I can unlock a cool giant revolver?

Actually, I’ve not really spoken to other people about Titanfall much, so I’m curious: how much were y’all into the mechs? Maybe this just reflects on me, but I never felt I was contributing much to objectives as a mech. I missed the slick movement of infantry with their wall-running and jetpacks too.

From this site

1. MrUnimport says:

I’d be much more interested in them talking about what went wrong with the first game and how they’re addressing those problems. I enjoyed my time with the open beta, but every match kind of blended together in terms of pacing, and low performance on my rig led me to skip the full release.

• Banks says:

Titanfall needed a better metagame, more team oriented and objective based, instead of just a random deathmatch in which everyone goes by himself. It didn’t feel like a competition and therefore nothing was at stake.

• KwisatzHaderach says:

Titanfall was only ever fun for me, when playing CTF for exactly the reason you stated. Unfortunately too few people realized that the game was at its best in CTF. Add to that the obnoxious lobby system, no server browser and you have the reason why I had to stop playing Titanfall. There simply were not enough full CTF games after a couple of months. A real shame really…

Anyway, Titanfall was my first and the last MP FPS without a server browser and no player-run dedicated servers.

2. Serenegoose says:

Might be nice to have a singleplayer game this time. All well and good saying they’ve these narrative ambitions, but nobody’s listening in a deathmatch.

3. BobbyDylan says:

South African Bad Guy confirmed!

• gunny1993 says:

If it’s not Andy Serkis i’m walking.

• Optimaximal says:

Who knows, maybe it’s a real South African!

• lglethal says:

Wait… you mean there are real South Africans that aren’t the bad guys? Hollywood has lied to me!!!

* Antipodean solidarity only goes so far my Saffa friends! :) *

4. Flappybat says:

I know a bizarrely large number of people only play cod’s campaign but why waste the effort on it in Titanfall when they have so much catch up to do on depth and variety?

• Optimaximal says:

Wait, I thought the accepted wisdom was only a *handful* of people played the COD campaign compared to the number who play the multiplayer?

At the end of the day, Titanfall was fairly vapid and was massively hurt on PC because EA silo’ed it to Origin. At least when the sequel releases it’ll be for all current platforms with the chance that it’ll support cross-platform play.

If only EA would have released it on Steam – it would likely have exploded in popularity!

5. SnowCrash says:

Oh look its “The game that lasted 20 days 2”

6. DailyFrankPeter says:

It really seemed to me like it just needed a more guns and interesting pieces of grindable equipment/rewards. Not a cinematic campaign. At least that’s what I play my CODs and BFs for. The campaign doesn’t sell map packs and retain a community.

7. Aerothorn says:

Are they making CTF the main mode? That seems like a good way to distinguish it from the competition.

richlamp says:

I will balance out some of this anti-Titanfall sentiment by saying I love the game. I was pretty late to it because of having a rubbish computer but I still really enjoyed it. I fired it up again for the first time in a while the other day and it’s still got a pretty solid community and was just as fun as I remembered, so I’m looking forward to seeing what they come up with for the sequel.

9. Cerulean Shaman says:

I was a huge fan of the original Titanfall despite its issues. I’m just hoping they learned a lot from their first game.

For example, being allowed to run flags in a mech should be a nono. The “campaign” was a nightmare (seems they’re adding a real one now). Ect, ect.

As for the mechs, they really did add a nice layer to the game. It got a bit insane when one team Titan Tilted so hopefully there will be ways to counter that… I personally loved hunting and fighting Titans on foot and only ever entered mine when I finally met a fairly decent Titan pilot (which was rare, the best players were often fps players from other games that just stayed on foot).

Titan combat though, especially entering one you just called down, was so damn satisfying.

10. uh20 says:

I would wan’t the next game to be more ‘blood-in-the-water’ focused at the core of it’s gameplay. It should naturally stalemates with the NPC bots on either side. However a handful of key kills would allow one team to push out towards their objective with expensive, yet temporary titans.

11. LuNatic says:

The gameplay of Titanfall was excellent. They did a great job of balancing mechs and infantry together. The cannon fodder bots were a stroke of genius, too.

Microsoft’s Azure platform made for an excellent way of host high performance gave servers to, that ran well with low latency despite all the bots.

The community features(or lack thereof) were unforgivable however, a cardinal sin for a multiplayer only game and the reason why it died so quickly. If it wants to avoid the fate of its predecessor it needs all of the below(on launch day, not patched in later):

Party Support
    Friends list support
    Ability to join a friends game in progress, if it is short of players.
    “Create your own” lobbies, where the ‘host’ chooses the game settings, and players can choose their own teams.
    Built in streaming to Twitch and Youtube.
    Ability to create, join and manage clan groups
    Team balancing in matchmaking that takes a combination of skill and experience into account. No more teams of level 50s vs teams of level 3s please.

Additional niceties would include:
    Matchmaking should have a voting system similar to Mechwarrior Online where the players are presented with a couple of maps and a couple of game modes and vote for the combination they like best.
    Reminders when spawning that I have unspent bonus cards

12. Zaxwerks says:

You know how you just scan something quickly and sometime don’t see it correctly… I read that as “Titanfall 2 Trailer Teases Electrolysis” and thought to myself “blimey, they’re taking that in an unexpected new direction!”