Everybody’s Going To Have Gone To The Rapture

The Chinese Room’s Bafta-winning game, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture [official site], is coming to Steam on 14 April. That’s tomorrow, if you’re reading this on the day of publication. So I guess at the moment it’s Everybody Will Have Gone To The Rapture. Everybody’s Going To Have Gone To The Rapture? Everybody’s Fine Where They Are Right Now But Maybe Not So Much In The Near Future?

I played it on PS4 when it first came out – it’s perhaps best described as an interactive radio play with a peculiarly British sci-fi bent and a beautiful soundtrack. I remember I wasn’t mad keen on the interaction mechanisms but I’ll definitely go through it again and offer up current opinions (and probably take a millionty thousand screenshots).

That’s probably the end of the news section but I read about the rapture as a child and every time I’m somewhere that’s unexpectedly deserted or silent when I’m used to it being busy I find myself idly wondering whether it’s happened and what I’ll do if it has. Like, do I phone someone who I think should have been raptured and see if they answer? Or do I wait and see if there’s another wave and I start floating? And what happens if you’re raptured when you’re indoors and there’s a hulking great ceiling to get through?

And then the next plane arrives and the terminal fills up again and is no longer this weird cavernous space, or you remember that actually it’s 4am and you’re just a bit delirious because you’re on the way to hospital with a burst appendix that’s leaking gangrenous mulch into your blood.

Where was I? Oh yes. Rapture tomorrow. £15.99. Avoid painful ceilings.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. JonWood says:

For maximum raptureosity you should visit London’s financial districts on a Sunday morning, or enjoy this series of photos taken early on Christmas morning link to ianvisits.co.uk

• GernauMorat says:

Yes, the cold, dead heart of London in its true, inhuman form.

• phelix says:

What a lovely collection. Thank you for sharing!
      Now I feel inspired to get up at 5am in the weekend. A weird impulse if I ever had one.

• davethejuggler says:

Those pictures are awesome. I once had to go to work in soho early on a sunday morning and it felt similar. No-one around. A few newspapers blowing in the wind was the only sound. It felt like the beginning of 28 days later, which makes sense since that was how they filmed those scenes!

• Jac says:

I remember coming home from work the day after the brixton riots but while they were still raging in other parts of south london and it was a like a desolate apocalypse vs the bustle of normal life. Wish i’d snapped some shots.

2. Optimaximal says:

The title of this post makes it sound like the game is going free and it’s going to be forced onto our accounts, like some sort of indie U2/iTunes event.

3. gbrading says:

Haven’t played it and I loved Dear Esther, so I am really looking forward to this. I know it got a mixed reception on PS4 but I know what to expect from The Chinese Room.

4. Geebs says:

“Paging Doctor Streetmentioner. Dr Dan Streetmentioner, please attend”

5. Andrew says:

Let’s say I never played “Beginner’s guide”, “Californium”, “Gone Home”, “Firewatch” or “Timeframe”, and let’s say they all have the same price now. Why would I choose EGttR over others?

In other words, I don’t see a hook here. Overall quality? Don’t really mind flawed game, if it’s good (“Californium”). Story (mystery, maybe, more appropriate term here)? I kinda don’t care for some reason (cause of religious overtone, maybe?). World/environment? Ok, there is something interesting there. But is that enough? Is there something else?

I feel like there are enough of those type of games (yes, if you not a dick or TotalBiscuit, they are games, proper games), that you need to have something very unique or cool to get my attention. Weird. But, again, maybe it’s just me and someone very happy to play every one of them. We live in a relatively good times, eh.

• Jac says:

There aren’t really any religious overtones in this except the presence of a church and priest in the village, which is to be expected.

I enjoyed the world and mystery far more than gone home. If you like this sort of game then it’s worth a play.

• Andrew says:

Thanks! I would definitely try it, question is, on day one, or later, when there is a discount. Leaning towards later, since there is enough to play already (DS3 alone is enough to last me until summer, I think).

• Penguin_Factory says:

Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture has easily the best graphical quality and overall the greatest sense of detail and immersion of any of those games, which I feel is very important to the genre(?). It’s also got a really great atmosphere that I don’t think any other game– ever– has come close to matching, and the story totally gripped me.

…But actually, taking your scenario literally, I’d go with Gone Home if I could only choose one. Rapture comes in second, then Firewatch in third.

• Morte66 says:

It has unusually high minimum specs for a probably-not-very-action-oriented indie game:

Intel Core i5-4570T 2.9 GHz / AMD FX-6100 3.3 GHz
        NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti / AMD Radeon HD 6850

I think I probably can’t play it, my CPU is too slow. I’m used to games like Witcher 3 or MGS 5 sitting in the “after I upgrade” section on my wishlist, but now the walking simulators are doing it I may have to bite the bullet…

• Jalan says:

That sad realization that if I’d saved all the money I’m dropping on games I can’t play, I’d be able to afford replacement PC parts so I could (potentially) play them at some point in the future.

I keep telling myself to take that advice, yet here I am with a game library newer than my decade and a half old PC.

• Catweasel says:

You’re probably fine, those requirements look like nonsense. The Intel processor and the AMD processor are completely different in terms of power and tells me they’re just throwing stuff up.

john_silence says:

And for something slightly more involved puzzle-wise but with that same great sense of visiting a weirdly deserted place, don’t forget Ether One.

• Andrew says:

I just looked up price in my region and who publisher is… no rapture for me. It have nothing to do with the game itself, and argument would be irrelevant to, say, 99% of RPS readers, so I’m not going to explain my decision.

On the other hand, I’m not sad at all. Less to play is actually good. I still not played “SOMA” and “The Park”, off the top of my head, in that genre alone. Again, we live a relatively good, but weird times, eh, where I can easily ignore big publishers, without any regret.

• Jeroen D Stout says:

I feel like there are enough of those type of games, that you need to have something very unique or cool to get my attention. Weird.

Isn’t that good? That the genre has moved beyond just being a novelty and into what most other genres hinge on; quality, ideas, context? I cannot remember the last time I bought a book just because of its novelty but I bought a lot of books out of potential millions just because I found the premise interesting. That to me is a more worthy position to be in, rather than the novelty circuit art games had gotten in to.

6. davethejuggler says:

Watched a lets play of this and it was totally depressing that such an incredibly gorgeous (and uniquely british) environment was coupled with mindnumbing gameplay. Not sure what style of gameplay would have been better suited to it, but the interactivity seemed so limited and along with the snail pace movement speed it all just seemed like a waste of time. Real shame.

• Barchester says:

That’s what you get, watching someone else play instead of soaking in the atmosphere yourself and discovering the game’s narrative at your own pace.

Not to be a dick about it, but let’s plays really don’t do this wonderful little game justice.

• davethejuggler says:

Thats true, for sure. However with the absence of demos i tend to rely on watching a bit of a lets play as an alternative (by decent lets players not shrieking ninnies), and whether i’m playing the game myself or not it was pretty obvious what the pace of the game was going to be. Too slow for me. Watching the start of a lets play of firewatch was enough to tell me that i wanted to immerse myself in it’s atmosphere and narrative, this game didn’t have the same effect at all.

7. Freud says:

It looks brilliant and the story in itself is rather good but the gameplay is so slow and it’s basically going around listening to audiologs scattered about. It feels like radio drama more than a game.

I can’t shake the feeling that they could have done so much more with the abandoned village and basic story here. The setting is a bit wasted and the whole mystery aspect of an abandoned location is also wasted.

8. Morte66 says:

What would you gain by playing this rather than watching it on youtube?

• Andrew says:

Achievements and trading cards, obv.

Thirith says:

For me it’s more or less the same as the difference between being in a place myself and seeing someone’s holiday video of it. Even if the specific things I see and hear may be pretty much the same, it’s still an entirely different cognitive and emotional experience.

• LennyLeonardo says:

It’s a bit like the difference between seeing footage of an art exhibition on TV, and actually going to see it. I.E stop being so facetious.

• Jeroen D Stout says:

Do you truly wish us to explain the difference between 3d real-time scenes and streamed online video?

9. markside says:

Best article title ever.

10. Wisq says:

Honestly, I thought this was out already. Years-delayed PC ports are really eroding my sense of release dates — and that’s before you factor in games that spend eons in Early Access, and whose final “1.0” releases thus feel like the equivalent of setting off a soggy firework and quietly going “yaaaaaay”.

AutonomyLost says:

I’ll be purchasing this tomorrow and am quite excited to experience its world. If it’s free, or nearly free, of bugs and supports 21:9 aspect ratios (which, to be frank, a game such as this would be ludicrous not to) then I am sure I’ll very much enjoy its particular brand of simulating walking and exploration. Here’s hoping.

particlese says:

Y’all’ll’ve gone to the Rapture, now, y’hear? Bless yer souls…

Anyway, I guess I’m a bit late to the party but looking forward to this nonetheless, so thanks for the future perfect heads-up!

Glad to see Jessica’s still on composing duty, too, as I really liked her work on Dear Esther.