Boo! Corpse Party Haunting PC This Month

Here’s the thing: I’m sure I posted on RPS ages ago about Corpse Party [official site] coming to PC round our way, but I cannot find any trace of it. But why wouldn’t I post about a game named Corpse Party? A ghost must have eaten the post. Only reasonable answer. Point is, publishers Xseed Games today announced that Corpse Party will be hitting Windows on April 25th. I have now set up infrared cameras, microphones, EM sensors, and Yvette Fielding to monitor this post.

Corpse Party, then, is a horror adventure about schoolteens who jokingly do dark magic (schoolboy error!) and end up trapped in the ghost of a school torn down after a whole heap of murders. Good job, schoolteens! Terrible things are afoot, and I’m told the game boasts twenty ‘wrong ends’ including being “buried alive, forced to swallow scissors or cannibalized by a friend”. Nice. That’s what I want from a game called Corpse Party.

The game’s history is a tangle of remakes and ports, starting with an RPG Maker game in 1996, but I thinkkk this release is based on the Windows remake from 2008? But if this precise history matters to you, I’m sure you already know the answer, so hey! Publishers Xseed Games explain:

“Localized directly from the original independent PC version, which was previously never released outside of Japan, the worldwide Windows PC release of Corpse Party will feature all the original art and voice-acting, as well as a bevy of new features exclusive to this version. Among other inclusions, such as multiple endings and scenes that differ from the PSP and upcoming Nintendo 3DS releases, this version boasts four bonus chapters on top of the game’s five main story chapters, one of which is a PC-exclusive retelling of the ‘Tooth’ story from Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, recreated with added content in classic Corpse Party adventure style. Players seeking to complete every ending will find that this version also contains a speedy fast-forward function for seamless replayability.”

Corpse Party will hit Steam, GOG, and the Humble Store on April 25th, priced at $14.99.

‘Corpse Party’, man!

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. NegativeZero says:

The timeline of releases of the first game, as I understand it, goes:
    – Corpse Party (1996, NEC PC-9801, made using an RPGMaker-like, self-published by GrisGris)
    – Corpse Party: Blood Covered (~2008, Windows PC, self-published by GrisGris) <– this version is coming to Steam, enhanced with stuff like Achievements etc.
    – Corpse Party: Blood Covered; Repeated Fear (2010, PSP, remake of Blood Covered with professional voice acting, cleaned up art, extra content etc. Published by 5pb) <– this was the version XSEED originally translated several years ago
    – Corpse Party: Blood Covered: Repeated Fear (2015, 3DS, enhanced port of the PSP/iOS version with extra content, some art changes, also published by 5pb) <– XSEED announced this at the same time as the PC date just to confuse everything

Also to muddy the waters even further:
    – The PC version was released episodically. XSEED's version combines all the bits.
    – All three of the versions that have or are getting localized have been named simply 'Corpse Party' by XSEED so no one can tell them apart.
    – Corpse Party has a PSP sequel (Book of Shadows) and that has a Vita sequel (Blood Drive).
    – There is also Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient which is a whole new story and set of characters and involves a hospital. This one's on PC, being slowly released episodically, by a different ream that's comprised of some members from the original doujin circle.

I still don't get why XSEED's bothering with the old PC version. The PSP remake is straight up better in just about every way. I guess it's interesting to see how much stuff changed.

• Kitsunin says:

It seems super silly. Thing is, folks can emulate the PSP on their PCs and even their Android devices (I did) that being the case, I can’t see why you would purchase a stripped-back version of the same game.

It’s totally worth playing the translated original, too, if you like those RPG-maker horror games. It’s definitely better than some games of its type (and worse than others).

…I’ll probably buy it, mostly for the sake of feeling less skeezy, but possibly to replay it, once the US release of the 3DS version comes out.

• Author X says:

Thanks for the explanation! It sounds like the best bet for me to get into the game at this point would be to wait for the doubly-enhanced 3DS version.

• vorador says:

To even muddle things further, Book of Shadows (the PSP “sequel” to Blood Covered) is not a true sequel, but more of a fandisk than anything.

It includes four “whatif” scenarios that narrate some of the endings of the first game in an alternative fashion and if you beat all of them with the true ending, you unlock a fifth scenario that is a prologue to the real sequel, Blood Drive.

On a side note, i think it is worth mentioning that the PSP remake of Blood Covered features stereophonic audio. It might seem like something minor, but it adds a lot to experience.

2. MrFinnishDude says:

There aint no party like a Corpse Party.

And I mean that. I havent seen that many parties with so much death, viscera, mutilation, necrophilia, suicide, young girls really needing to find a place to pee, scissors, and eternal never ending pain.

Still a good party though, I highly recommend.

3. Deano2099 says:

I guess because they don’t want to port the PSP version back to PC. Same reason we’re not getting Cold Steel. They’re primarily translators, not porters.

4. Deano2099 says:

I loved Danganronpa and 999, and have enjoyed other VNs but this left me utterly cold on PSP. Maybe the fast forward function will make it vaguely tolerable…

• malkav11 says:

I wish it were a VN. As an RPG Maker game the “gameplay” was so obnoxious that I couldn’t bring myself to come anywhere near finishing it. Which is a shame because it’s a genuinely creepy and horrific story, as I discovered through reading someone else’s playthrough.

5. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

I dunno about this game man. It can be decently disturbing I guess, but it also can be kind of skeevy at times. Maybe worth it if you like the former and aren’t too bothered by the latter? Personally, I just wouldn’t play an RPGmaker-ass looking game on a PC in 2016 unless it gave me SERIOUS reasons to (a la Undertale). Fine title for a handheld, but on a desktop? What are you doing.

• Eight Rooks says:

No no, see, it’s actually a DARK and DISTURBING journey into the mind of helpless kids about to be torn limb from limb because of spurious, hokey reasons. PSYCHOLOGICAL, man.

I’m kidding, I’m kidding. No, it’s not just you; every single Let’s Play I’ve tried reading has made it look as skeevy as anything. Pure slasher movie “Let’s watch stupid people die because extreme gore is awesome” with zero depth or intellect whatsoever.

• ToozdaysChild says:

Don’t forget the entire chapter dedicated to trying to get a little girl to pee in a bucket.

• MrFinnishDude says:

The story is really cool in my opinion. These are not like “games” so to say, but more like “interactive stories”.
      If you havent experienced the story it should be enough of a reason to play it regardless of a platform.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Honestly while I doubt I’ll be picking this particular one up, your criteria for what should and should not be played on pc weirds me out a lot more than anything the game might throw at me.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

It may be just me, of course.
        But.. it’s a 20-year old game; it seems to look and play pretty much appropriately. I just don’t understand how they expect someone to choose it over thousands of horror games we have available by now. Maybe it has some cult status I’m not aware of?

• Eight Rooks says:

Really? Seems relatively sensible as far as Internet Opinions go. I find RPGMaker visually boring at best, ugly at worst – and yes, I’ve seen quite a number of the “Oh, you gotta see (fan game X)” people throw around. They’re no different. I wouldn’t touch any of the commercially released titles crawling onto Steam with a ten foot pole – why would I want to stare at that for forty hours or whatever? – unless reviews were raving about the narrative or something, a la To the Moon. Corpse Party looks bland and from everything I’ve read of other people playing it, it’s a noxious J-horror slasher with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, so I won’t be picking it up.

(I’m aware I’m doing the “…and yet somehow I felt compelled to comment on it!” thing, but eh, RPS writers themselves have posted news with “It’s not for me, but…”, and I honestly don’t see any reason to port this franchise except money (far better games out there that don’t revolve around shamelessly titillating the audience), so here you go, take my disdain.)

6. Darth Gangrel says:

Alice suffers from journalist deja vu (or, for a horror game, should that be deja boo?), but that’s nothing compared to what the characters will suffer. Nice.

Bluerps says:

This kind of reminds me of Mad Father, but that might just be because they both look like old JRPGs. Mad Father is not bad, though.

• Kitsunin says:

They’re both very similar. Corpse Party is one of the best games of its type, though. Not quite as good as Ib.