Procedural Kowloon Horror Game Phantasmal Released

A first-person sneaky horror game set inside a procedurally-generated version of Hong Kong’s labyrinthine, lawless (and now-demolished) Kowloon Walled City? Yeah, g’wan!

I skipped Phantasmal [official site] while it was on Steam Early Access because I wanted my first impressions of its dark, winding, unknowable corridors and alleyways to be the real deal. Now it is. Developers Eyemobi today released Phantasmal for real, and… now I’m a bit too scared to enter.

There’s a story reason but, basically, you end up atop a dense of lawless city filled with all of sorts monsters and must escape through floor after floor. The monsters want to kill you, obviously, so it’s often preferable to stay quiet and avoid them. Sure, you can fight but it won’t be easy. You can find guns in your scavenging, but do you want to go making loud noises in monstertown? You’ve got your sanity to think of too.

It’s a roguelikelike, yeah? Die a lot, learn a little about enemies and the world each time, push the story along a bit with repeated playthroughs, and hope you find good items before the monsters git ya.

Phantasmal’s take on Kowloon Walled City had a little less character than I’d hoped for when developers Eyemobi first switched away from the original spooky mansion setting, but it looks to have come a fair way since then. I might grumble that it looks a little too heavy on grey corridors even for Kowloon, and lacking in wonderful messes of cables, but Eyemobi are not a huge team with a huge budget. I suppose I was just hoping for a glam, exagerrated take like that weird Japanese arcade.

Anyway! A 20% launch discount brings Phantasmal to £8.79/11,99€/$11.99 on Steam. Here’s the launch trailer:

Or here’s the last developer video showing gameplay, from January:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. ZippyLemon says:

Maybe mods can make it the Kowloon of your dreams! :D

Or your nightmares D:

• DrMcCoy says:

Well, I’ve already told one Yama King to leave the Walled City, there’s no reason I can’t do the same for more of them.

2. dorobo says:

I would like to visit kawloon with cables and real people more than this.

3. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Kowloon is such a neat word. I was a fan way before I knew what it was referring to.

keefybabe says:

I’m kind of obsessed with Kowloon walled city and yet didn’t know about this. Right…. Straight on the wishlist with you to buy on payday, chuckles.

5. dethtoll says:

Gave it a shot. It’s very clunky and janky and has a “budget” feel I haven’t seen since the PS2 era; it’s got some nice ideas, but is marred by taking just a little too much influence from Amnesia.

6. tifaucz says:

Its so sad they demolished Kowloon… I wanted so much to visit it, almost more than Prypyat.

• MrUnimport says:

Kowloon is still there, it’s a region of Hong Kong and home to 2.1 million people. Kowloon Walled City is what was demolished.

7. Adrienne21 says:

8. Adrienne21 says:

Google gives you agreat opportunity to earn 98652$ at your home.If you are some intelligent youmake many more Dollars.I am also earning many more, my relatives wondered tosee how i settle my Life in few days thank GOD to you for this…You can alsomake cash i never tell alie you should check this I am sure you shocked to seethis amazing offer…