Revive Lets Rift Games Run On Vive

Cybersoftware made specifically for the Oculus Rift may end up playable on HTC Vive too, thanks to fancy technological wrangling. Available now is the Revive Compatibility Layer, described as “a proof-of-concept compatibility layer between the Oculus SDK and OpenVR”. We can get technical later but, basically, the Rift platformer Lucky’s Tale and the Oculus DreamDeck demo collection can run on Vive through this software. Possibly other things. Possibly even more things as development continues.

Here comes the science bit – concentrate:

“It works by reimplementing functions from the Oculus Runtime and translating them to OpenVR calls. Unfortunately Oculus has implemented a Code Signing check on the Runtime DLLs, therefore the Revive DLLs cannot be used unless the application is patched.

“The Revive DLLs already contain the necessary hooking code to work around the Code Signing check in any application. However you will still need to patch the application to actually load the Revive DLLs.”

Got it? Grand!

Basically, it all acts as a translator standing between Rift software and a Vive, translating Rift’s chat into a language the Vive understands. It has to talk very quickly. Lots of hand gestures, I’m sure.

Future plans of the folks behind Revive include support for Oculus Touch controllers, games using the Oculus Platform online jazz, and more. It’s early days, but they’ve proven that this can be done. Which is good, given that it’ll be yonks before many people own cybergoggles, so needlessly locking games to platforms is a terrible shame. This also doubles the chances that I’ll get to try EVE Valkyrie. Assuming Oculus don’t try to shut this down.

All of RPS’s Vivers have jacked out and are occupied in meatspace, otherwise I’d tell them to give it a go and report back to us on how they felt as cyberpunks daring to take on the megacorps and subvert their cybercontrols. I reckon I can have Alec in a leather jacket by Tuesday.

But god, being inside an N64-era-y coin-collecting platformer sounds like Hell to me.

From this site

1. Shuck says:

Given the already small market for VR, it seems profoundly dumb to be locking in a game for one specific headset. This work-around shouldn’t even be necessary. I guess Oculus having their own marketplace means they’d rather not have interoperability, but I’ve read that they stated they don’t have a problem with this (presumably because it’s a pain that might not work all that well).

• xyzzy frobozz says:

I agree mate.

It has been a massive turn-off for me. I’m really not interested in VR until it is truly open source, or until there are fuss-free work arounds to patch compatibility with near zero performance hit.

These companies have killed VR before it started if they continue on with this exclusivity malarkey. If they can’t make a sustainable business on hardware alone then they can GTFO as far as I’m concerned.

• Shuck says:

It seems especially unnecessary given that another one of the work-arounds to getting Oculus exclusive games to work on the Vive only works on games built with either the Unity or Unreal engines – engines that have support for both Vive and Oculus headsets, even if the specific games sold on the Oculus store don’t. Having to patch in support under those circumstances feels like the most backwards thing ever.
        Considering games are going to be designed around specific control devices, “room VR”, etc., there’s enough fragmentation of the already small market to be a significant problem.

• flappybun says:

You really are talking a load of crap. Vive pre-orders and CV1 exceed expectations. I got my Vive last week and the games are mind-blowing. Way beyond anything I experienced with the otherwise excellent DK2.

• Sakkura says:

They are not trying to lock it to one headset, they’re trying to lock it to one store. Oculus wants people to use the Oculus Store for VR games, regardless of what headset they use. Valve wants people to use Steam VR for VR games.

Oculus wants the HTC Vive to work with the Oculus Store, but Valve are trying to prevent that.

• melnificent says:

Have a look on the support pages. Oculus seem to be making it CV1 or bust… the latest hotfix made using a DK2 harder. And DK1 is dead to them

• SquidgyB says:

Ugh, this puts me right off getting an Occulus (and I’d absolutely love to get one for Elite: Dangerous and any number of flight sims I own).

I assumed (and I suppose a lot of this may have changed with Facebook’s involvement?) that the Occulus would be relatively “hack-friendly”, and you’d be able to run some sort of wrapper to get basically any first person game to work with it, just by mapping the head tracking to the mouse control and the image processing to a stereoscopic view.

Is that still going to be possible with there restrictions?

• k.t says:

Which restrictions? There are a couple of options for hacking in support to any 3D game already. It’s a lot more complex than emulating mouse movement though, so each game has to be handled manually rather than with a simple universal patch, and it’s rarely as good as a native implementation.

Oculus has been supportive of the hackers and tinkerers over the last few years — one of the previously mentioned hacks was originally developed by an early employee — but they make it very clear that they can’t officially support it and won’t go out of their way to maintain compatibility.

• Shuck says:

Being locked to one headset may, in part, be a side effect of the store, but whereas there are Oculus-exclusive games, SteamVR apparently works with Oculus headsets, so the exclusivity is one-sided. Oculus essentially blames HTC/Valve for that, but… /shrug

• Author X says:

I can understand the Vive-exclusive games, as Vive is its own beast, with the positioning sensors and special controllers. However, I haven’t heard of anything the Oculus does that couldn’t be done on another decent VR headset, so the exclusivity seems artificial.

particlese says:

That notion of cyberpunkery you’ve hit on is so astoundingly appropriate I wish I had a Vive right now so I could revel in it myself in the first person.

3. Tyranic-Moron says:

EVE Valkyrie is already confirmed for the Vive, Alice.

link to twitter.com

Still, this is great news. I’d really rather we didn’t get console-style exclusivity on PC.

4. SomeDuder says:

Until we get some sort of confirmation that developers are working on second generation 3D hardware and that games will be compatible with all serious 3D peripherals, the general public won’t be buying this stuff.

And I get it – it’s a MASSIVE attraction for a Facebook or whatever to say, “Well, if you want to play X, you’ll have to buy a Rift. And X’s sequels? Rift. Just… Buy a Rift. DO IT!” and create a nice, old-fashioned vendor-lock. But the console’s of old showed that this is just not feasible and definately not desirable as a customer.

5. zarthrag says:

This is crap that has been brought up with Oculus before. They aren’t in favor of open standards of any kind, they want a monopoly. Note, they aren’t going to get one. But they are hoping that their marketshare will be overwhelming – thanks for HTC/Valve, right?

If Oculus were really interested in growing VR, as an industry as opposed to a monopoly, they would drop their crap.

tl;dr: Oculus has great tech …but don’t give them your money. Innovation will come from elsewhere.

• k.t says:

Innovation only comes from Valve when someone’s nipping at their heels. For the last 18 months that someone has been Oculus, and the results speak for themselves. If Oculus capitulated and let Valve maintain their overwhelming market share that progress would stop.

6. noizy says:

Palmer Lucky claimed that they don’t want to fragment a market out of the gate and that people promoting VR in these early days are there to get people to buy into it, so they’re all in this together; i’m paraphrasing. SO, let’s see how they react to this. If they fight it, we’ll know they are working on building an ecosystem closed off from cross compatibility.

• hollowroom says:

I suspect Mr Luckey may have very little say on this. Mr Zuckerberg might be calling the shots.

7. Ovno says:

Glad to hear they’ve used openvr protocols opens it up to the other less reported VR options around too…

8. unraveler says:

Glad to hear that, exlusive are sucks