Cameroonian Devs Release Aurion: Legacy Of The Kori-Odan

Cameroonian studio Kiro’o Games have released Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan [official site], a side-scrolling action-RPG inspired by African myths and culture. It’s also about duffing folks up with flashy combos, zipping all over the place and giving them good hard whacks – it’s looking strong on the action side of action-RPG, a bit of a beat ’em up in the ‘Tales Of‘ style.

I’m keen to get a look at cultures and places we rarely get to visit in video games, but I’m also into the idea of beating people up real good. Here, this video from the devs focuses on the combat, showing plenty of air-dashes and elemental poundings:

As for its inspirations, Kiro’o say they’ve tried to create an “African fantasy game”. It’s certainly not the usual repackaging of Medieval Europe. They explain in a forum thread:

“We have used Egyptian, Malian, Cameroonian and Ethiopian mythologies for the most. But we wanted the game first of all to be a magnification of them. Like Heroic Fantasy is based on myth and legend but mostly thought to be fun in entertainment. we made here an African-Fantasy game. The first purpose of it is to be fun and interesting at the same time for almost everyone, not only for Africans. and we are all first of all gamers and mangas/comics reader and we wanted a game we’d love first.

“And don’t stop to the pictures, what really makes this game African is the fact that, we, Cameroonians made it, and the writing style it has is mostly based on our living.”

Several Steam player reviews complain about poor translation – the devs’ primary language is French – but Kiro’o hope to have an improved English version out next week. They’ve explained that some of the text isn’t final, as translation was taking a long time so they focused on the main quest parts first.

A 15% launch discount makes Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan £12.74/16,99€/$16.99 on Steam until next Thursday.

From this site

1. subedii says:

Always cool to see new countries getting fledgling game development communities going (I mean, I never saw something like Zeno Clash coming). Be interesting to see how this turns out.

2. Edgewise says:

Funny, I’ve been seeing a couple of African fantasy settings in tabletop role-playing recently. Is this becoming a thing? I’ve always enjoyed the mythologies of different cultures.

In case anyone is interested, here are two of the supplements I had in mind (note: both are quite excellent).

link to drivethrurpg.com
    link to drivethrurpg.com

Don’t go in expecting realism, but in fairness, European fantasy has never been remotely realistic, either. Unlike this game Aurion, though, their creators are not African (although I feel that they have a respectful take on the source material). Spears of the Dawn is especially terrific, but I’m a huge fan of Kevin Crawford so I may be biased.

aleander says:

African sf and fantasy existed since pretty much forever, it was just, um, unnoticed until recently. It’s really weird in a way, entire continent of art barely noticed :-/

• Emeraude says:

It’s telling from a cognitive standpoint that, linguistically, so many people treat Africa as a country.

• Phasma Felis says:

To be fair, in this context, “European fantasy” is also a thing. The broad strokes of castles, dragons, beardy wizards, knights in shining armor, etc. aren’t particular to any one nation.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Weird reply to a comment that specifically calls Africa a continent.

• Emeraude says:

That was not retort. I was agreeing on the “barely noticed” bit.

Hard to notice anything when your evaluation scale is all off.

When I hear Herbie Hancock saying “We have musicians from all over the world… Japan, Norway, France, Africa…”, I appreciate the effort, but it’s disheartening at the same time.

And you keep hearing similar things. Africa is that No Man’s Land of the cultural landscape where only those that have to soldier in ever wander.

• Chillicothe says:

Yup.

Somewhere in the great beyond, Chinua Achebe is unhappy.

• Phasma Felis says:

Non-English sci-fi and fantasy rarely crosses borders. I mean, non-English literature in general doesn’t cross over all that often, it’s just that there’s more of it. I can only think of two or three sci-fi/fantasy writers off the top of my head whose works were translated into English.

It’s a shame all around.

aleander says:

You know, I happen to be from the country that Stanisław Lem came from, so I happen to have an opinion on “not crossing the borders”. And Africa is an entire continent.

• Phasma Felis says:

Is there anything you could recommend that’s available in English? I’d love to broaden my horizons a bit.

• manny says:

Alot of people in africa have high illiteracy rates, combine that with poor nutrition, low iq, very high corruption and violence rates and the last thing a smart guy in in these countries is thinking about is making a cool rpg or great sci-fi yarn, at least you would hope that’s not their main priority.

• GWOP says:

It’s funny that a guy who manages three run-on sentences/comma splices in one sentence would accuse others of illiteracy.

• Sleepery says:

“…low iq”

You sir, are treading on very dangerous ground there.

• Emeraude says:

People that have nothing needs to dream more than people that have a lot.

Poor people first world country know it well, who play video games all day, when a tidbit more than a century before they would have been drunkards for the same purpose of keeping their lives at bay.

3. K_Sezegedin says:

This game looks like it doesn’t have enough diversity.

4. Molay says:

And here I thought poor translation was intentional, to keep it authentic? :-)