Make Your Own Marine: DOOM Open Beta Live

baby demon's trip to the build-a-marine workshop ended in tears. And fountains of blood.

Back in my day, a Doom protagonist wore a bright green uniform with a little window cut out around his midriff to show off his sixpack. Sure, a demon just happened to rip off that particular patch of armour but we all know that was part of the design. These days, the marines have discovered fashion though. The latest video for Nu-Doom [official site] might as well be a combative catwalk, packed as it is with fancy armour modifications, patterned weapons and people exploding into fountains of blood and body-bits. It’s fashion week in Hell and the open beta is live right now, so you can show off your duds.

I have never seen customisation menus quite so energetic and aggressive. Makes me nostalgic for the old Doom menus, which just politely THUNKED as I moved the little skulls from one option to the next. I do like the bloke who’s wandered in from a medieval battle recreation at 1:01. If only he had a power sword or, I guess, a chainsaw.

The open beta for the game is running this weekend:

Starting: Friday, April 15, 2016 @ 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time (UTC – 5)
End: Sunday, April 17, 2016 @ 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (UTC – 5)

To play, head to Steam. You should be able to install and play right away. It weighs in at 10.1 GB and contains the following:

Maps: Heatwave and Infernal
Game Modes: 6v6 Team Deathmatch and Warpath
Demon: Revenant
Weapons: Rocket Launcher, Plasma Rifle, Super Shotgun, Vortex Rifle, Static Rifle, Heavy Assault Rifle, and Lightning Gun
Power Weapons: Gauss Cannon
Equipment: Frag Grenade, Personal Teleporter, Siphon Grenade

I want my, I want my BFG.

Even though I’m mostly looking forward to the singleplayer campaign (is that like reading Playboy for the articles?) I’m going to jump in for a few rounds shortly and will bring you my thoughts this evening.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Sigvatr says:

2. Hunchback says:

But… why?

3. yusefsmith says:

Doom 2’s choice of 4 amazing colors for your avatar made it the best in the series.

4. Zanchito says:

Still 60FPS locked and no 21:9 support maybe? I remember the times when Doom was the tech reference on PC.

Now get off my lawn!

5. Halk says:

I am tempted to replay Doom 3.

6. maximus says:

oh look….its halo…

• K8NN says:

god yes, that’s the feeling i got with all that armor customization

7. Richie Shoemaker says:

Can’t say as I like what I’ve played so far – which is very little. Shotgun aside, the characters and weapons look and feel like they’ve come from Dust 514 and playing the game had me in mind of Tribes: Ascend – but without all the fun scooting about outdoors.

That was no real sense that I was playing a Doom game, at all, aside from the giant logo on the splash screen assuring me it was.

• thelastpointer says:

How would you define the “sense of playing a Doom game”? It sounds very stupid to me, especially since you felt the lack of it while playing a Doom game.

• Jane Doe says:

Well, for once, the narrator sounds like a news anchor at 2AM or a school teacher in 18th century England. Could be a beta thing.

Class selection, 2 weapon limit and very slooooow climbing/movement just don’t feel like what Bethesda has promised. Its just another dumbed down console shooter.

And yes, I did say climbing. There are Lara Croft-moments when going after powerups.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

I know exactly what he’s talking about. A gameplay like in Doom1/2, Quake1/2, the shooty bits of Rage.
        Fast movemant, not much bs, no bullet-sponges like in modern shooters.
        High quality wrap-around maps. Gore.

Compare that to that (heap of crap called) Doom 3 for example: useless cutscenes, slow, linear also sometimes less story is better than bad story.

• Anti-Skub says:

Your statement sounds a hell of lot more stupid than his does. I mean what’s confusing you? It doesn’t feel like a Doom game.

The old Doom games played in a very specific way. You moved very quickly, you strafed a lot, lots of the weapons and enemies shot slow moving projectiles that you could dodge. It played more like a first person bullet-hell game where it’s as much about movement and evasion as it is shooting things.

This new Doom doesn’t play like that, it plays like Halo…it doesn’t feel like Doom.

• thelastpointer says:

The irrational hatred against this game confuses me.

Of course it’s not like the original Doom, because that was more than twenty years ago. Did anyone really expect this to have twenty year old gameplay with shiny graphics? Did you?

And of course it’s not like Doom3, because of course. That was 12 years ago, to put it in perspective.

Those are the only “Doom games” we have.

It can still be a good game, or a bad game. But it’s not going to “feel like” Doom. Just give it up already. Hell, just by having mouse look or actual 3D maps makes it impossible to “feel like” Doom.

• badmothergamer says:

I understand what you are getting at but your phrasing is poor and detracts from the discussion. Next time, try “how would you describe the feel of a Doom game” instead of “your comment was stupid”.

• Asurmen says:

Except that’s not what he said. Phrasing seems fine to me.

• Anti-Skub says:

Might want to try reading my comment again mate. At no point did I offer any kind of opinion on the game, positive or negative. The only thing I criticised was your statement, because it was dumb.

As for the “irrational hatred”. I don’t think it’s irrational and I don’t think it’s hatred…it is entirely justified indifference, because frankly the game just isn’t very good. No one is claiming that it’s the worst game ever, it’s just disappointing and a rather cynical cash in of the brand by Bethesda.

I’d also like to know why you think 20 year old gameplay on modern systems isn’t something people should expect or want? Just look at the huge critical acclaim given to games like Devil Daggers, Ori and the Blind Forest, Hyper Light Drifter, Xcom 2, Super Mario Maker, Pillars of Eternity, Bioshock, Deus Ex…in case you didn’t realise, these are all games that go out of their way to and succesfully emulate the gameplay found in games from the 90s.

• Flea says:

Then explain to me how after more than 15 years the new Unreal Tournament managed to have beautiful new graphics and still feel like you’re playing the good old Unreal Tournament (1999)? It’s frantic, it’s fast, it’s everything the original UT was and even more.

• thelastpointer says:

I’ve read your comment m8. I haven’t said anything about your opinion, because you didn’t offer any.

By irrational hatred I meant all the cool kids bashing on a game they haven’t even played and justifying it with a vaguely defined “feel”, and I maintain that these arguments are stupid.

The games you mentioned are extremely modernized versions of… stuff you remember. I agree that they successfully evoke memories of old games, and I also agree that the new Doom doesn’t do this. But just because it doesn’t it’s not automatically a bad game. It has every right to be something new! To rephrase myself somewhat crudely, this is how a “Doom game” plays in 2016.

As for Flea’s comment, I think UT is kind of an exception in this regard — it is indeed a remake with better graphics, they are rather trying something new with the publishing model, and they can get away with tweaking the original gameplay. I don’t think this could work with the Doom released in ’93. And definitely not with Doom3. (Somewhat off-topic, but actually I think that comments comparing this Doom with UT are the highest praises this game ever got.)

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Honestly original Doom multiplayer would probably feel the same, without the iconic enemies and dodging all of their projectiles etc, it would largely be a flat map of grey hallways and blasting each other with shotguns and rockets, much like you see in the new game.
      I really would have preferred in-map weapon pickups rather than loadouts though, the rocket launcher in particular doesn’t feel fun to use, it’s too underpowered, it should be that sought after item on the map that you wreck face with when you get it, rather than a direct hit doing just over half of the health of an enemy IF they don’t have any armor. One of the fun things imo with a rocket launcher is using the splash damage to hit people around corners, behind cover etc. Doing it in this just does so little damage that you feel no satisfaction throwing one at someones feet or pre-empting them running around a corner.
      That said I don’t think it’s bad, but in no way is it £40 game good, the single player will decide whether this game is good or not. I mean I think the UT Alpha is already more fun than this.

Doom single player = reading Playboy for the articles? No I don’t think so, I think FAR more people remember Doom for it’s single player and is probably the reason why most people want to play the new one too. A new Quake game? Yeah single player in that would be “reading Playboy for the articles”, but not Doom imo.

• Adam Smith says:

I meant that specifically in reference to THIS Doom :)

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Fair enough, but I honestly don’t think many people are looking at this game more for the multiplayer than the single player are they? Comments would suggest not.

• derbefrier says:

i am definitely interested only in the single player. Doom multiplayer may have been fun for its time, but it was during a time when having an internet connection wasn’t so common ( specially in rural areas where i lived). i mean when people talk about how awesome doom was multiplayer rarely enters the conversation. its all about level design and the weapons. I know they are pushing multiplayer hard as that sells DLC packs and stuff but i would imagine the single player will be what makes or breaks this game for a lot of us.

8. Plank says:

Can I play as a female or not?

9. Horg says:

I used the character creator to make the worlds brownest man. If it wasn’t for the effective team colour highlight around the player models, I would be literally invisible.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

As with most games like this, you’ll be given 1000 colours to choose from… But really everyone willl just use brown, black or grey because it gives you a slight tactical advantage.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

In game brightness makes a big difference too. Upon loading the game I set the brightness to the suggested level as lots of games do. Turn the brightness down until x graphic is barely visible etc. After starting the game this brightness meant I could see precisely zero and promptly fell down into the abyss a couple of times, upping the brightness meant I could actually see things.
      Not sure why so many games have this “recommended” brightness that is so dark it’s uncomfortable to play.

10. bit.bat says:

Remember the elegant way that Quake 3 used sound to inform whether you are hitting another player and what their health might be? Numbers popping out just seems so crude in comparison.

11. Turkey says:

Michael Bay presents: Menu

12. Kefren says:

For me Doom was a slow and thoughtful game of sneaking around, shooting from safety, then finishing off with a shotgun. Tense exploration inetrspersed with frantic violence. I loved it.

Nowadays its all hyper-active finishign moves and jumping. Pah.

• deadlybydsgn says:

Knee Deep in the Dead is likely your favorite episode then, I’d guess?

The first game is forever a favorite, but I’ll admit much of it is because of how many times I replayed the shareware version. It was also the game that really made an impression on me that could be played on our family computer.

By the time I played Doom II, it didn’t feel the same. Too frenetic and crazy compared to the first (or at least how it seemed to me). The third … Well, I don’t really talk about the third.

13. Jalan says:

Reading Playboy for the articles is about all that you can do with Playboy these days. Either that or use it to line the bottom of your bird’s cage.

• pistachio says:

Good tip. My bird is now reading the articles on the bottom of her cage.

14. wyrm4701 says:

So, the levels have good flow, and I like the climb mechanic. It plays a bit like Unreal Tournament, which is no bad thing. And I like the ‘turn-into-a-demon’ pickup. Unfortunately, everything else is either bland or outright rubbish.

The levels look terrible – just dull and boring and brown. It’d be tough to overstate how crap the visual design is.

The XP-based player progression is a brutal inclusion. It’s been a bad idea in every multiplayer game I’ve played for a decade, and the beta doesn’t convince me Doom will be an exception. Grinding to unlock weapons, loadouts and simple customization is just awful, and it’ll keep me from buying this.

It’s too bad, there’s the kernel of a good game here, but it’s awash in dullness and tired, broken ideas.

• Horg says:

Movement wise, the double jump is reasonably well implemented but the ground movement is too slow. The new Unreal got this spot on, double jump is not a replacement for fast movement.

The two weapon load out system is awful and actually detracts from the map design. Traditionally the arena shooters have been designed around weapon placement; making the powerful weapons harder to reach, making the good ammo more scarce, designing risky approaches to the weapons, etc. Each map would usually have several mini-arenas or hidden areas designed around a weapon to fight over. DOOM’s maps are designed around health and generic ammo : | Both are in plentiful supply so there is little value in trying to hold specific areas of the map from the enemy team. The only objective to duel over is the demon rune. Overall, the result is maps that feel functional but lackluster.

Weapon balance is quite bad right now. There doesn’t seem to be any reason not to take a Super Shotgun as it beats everything at close range and isn’t bad at medium. The lightning gun is terrible and will get you killed to shotguns and melee attacks. The rocket launcher has good projectile speed and a generous splash but surprisingly low damage on direct hits (probably because of the slow run speed). The sniper rifle needs a charge up which promotes camping, odd for a DOOM game, and has weak hip fire. The Plasma gun and heavy machine gun lose to the rocket launcher at medium range, shotguns at close range and don’t have the cone of fire or damage per bullet to threaten snipers. I haven’t tried the static rifle yet (unlocks -.-) but other peoples impressions seem to imply it takes too long to charge up.

I don’t think i’ve found any of the weapons satisfying to use excepting the sniper rifle. Sound assets for this game leave the weapons feeling feeble, the particle effects and animations were underwhelming. I don’t think i’ve ever been so disappointed in a shotgun, which is a traditional yardstick on weather an arena shooter lives or dies.

They also decided to include a sort of ‘burn card’ system of consumable item drops similar to Titanfall. These range from useless (show item re-spawn timers), to moderately useful (re-spawn with incrementally more amour every time you die for a few minutes), to overpowered as all hell (see your killer and his health through walls until you get revenge or die to someone else). It really feels frustrating to die to a guy with a wallhack card, and not very fair to get kills using the same card. Peoples mileage on this system is going to vary, but I would prefer if it didn’t exist. Call me old fashioned, but I just like to play with the variables the map provides.

• wyrm4701 says:

Nah, you’re not old-fashioned at all, I’d also rather they skipped the cards altogether. Though I don’t mind the two-weapon restriction, oddly. I like picking a loadout*, but I think it needs something to juice it up a little. The ability to pick up dropped weapons might go a long way to address deficiencies in weapon balance and map layout. I really don’t mind not having to chase weapon spawns to compete. It’s weird that it’s the only noob-friendly aspect to Doom that I can see so far.

* Rather, I’d like picking loadouts if the ability to do so wasn’t locked behind a pointless XP wall, along with half of the meager weapon selection.

15. Nibblet says:

Video link is broken. That is clearly a video of the new Halo.