What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Look, I know Planet X didn’t collide with the Earth last weekend, but we’ve got until the end of the month so be on your guard. Should you see another Earth loom in the sky, don’t panic, don’t run, don’t cower – no one can save you. Go out with dignity. Stand in an open place, as high as you can, and extend your arm to briefly touch hands with You X – also standing in the open air X, atop a roof X – for a brief moment of friendship and joy and curiosity and love before our worlds collide and grind us all into dust.

Adam: I’ll be playing the DOOM open beta. Unless I hate it after the first hour or two. But then I’ll still probably play all weekend just to be sure, like that one time I played BloodNet for ages and ages because it had vampires AND cyberstuff in it so how could it possibly be bad?

It was bad. DOOM, hopefully, is not bad. [Erk, this was written before Adam found out -ed.]

Alec: [Who could ever say?]
Alice: I have Doom, Rainbow Six Siege, and Battleborn installed for their various open beta tests and freekends but I know I won’t play them. Let me tell you what I’d like this weekend. I wish to lie in a shallow, gentle river at the bottom of a glen, cold stones beneath my back and trees above me. I would like to stay there for two days, simply breathing. That’s all. That’s what I want.
Graham: [Who could ever know?]
John: This weekend I want to play a bit more Sorcery! 3, because I love it so much. But I also have a pile of recently released ARPG roguelite things I want to take a look at. But I also have to look after the boy. So in the end I’ll probably play a lot of Link-a-Pix on my phone, like most weekends.
Philippa: This weekend is a weekend of free games, so obviously I’m going to be out of town and then putting things in boxes instead. I might play a few games of “having a cry” or “eating my own weight in cheeseboards”.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. Morte66 says:

Finishing (I think) A Story About My Uncle, which has been pretty good in a gently charming sort of way. I recommend this.

Playing a bit more Tomb Raider 2013, which I don’t like so far, just in case it gets better after the first hour. So far I’m sick of the third person camera, sick of the game taking over my character halfway up a ramp, sick of inane QTEs, and not terribly fond of the art style. I’m glad I only paid a dollar for this, and I’m glad the dollar is going to charity. I’ll give it that it runs rather well on my knackered old PC, that’s some quality coding.

Then I guess I’ll play some more Divinity Original Sin. I dinged on Wednesday and chickened out of levelling up, since I couldn’t decide whether I want to pursue crafting or give up. I think I might search for some middle way, where I bring the crafting into the party of four to avoid the irritation of switching to a reserve character. And I might stick at crafting 3, which is enough to make arrows for my archer PC and bombs/grenades for when Wolgraff can’t go into melee.

After that, now that the glow from replaying Stalker SOC is fading, I’m probably searching for a new FPS to play. Preferably atmospheric and/or tactical.

Herzog says:

If not played already give Metro 2033 / 2034 a shot. Highly atmospheric! Not as deep or open as Stalker but it does the trick.

• welverin says:

Tomb Raider does get better after that first bit, most of your complaints will lessen after that. Whether it will be enough for you to enjoy it or not I can’t say though.

Oakreef says:

With Dark Souls 3 out I decided to give DS1 another try. I got past the part where I gave up before (Taurus Demon) and I’m definitely improving but I’m not sold on this game yet. It’s not the difficulty pushing me away so much as the RPG mechanics. I hate levelling up numbers as a system it’s boring as hell and the stats screen for just my sword has twenty numbers on it alone. TWENTY. How do people have the mental energy to be bothered to keep track of all that?

• Morte66 says:

Levelling… That’s much on my mind at the moment.

I really enjoy optimizing builds in systems I understand, like D&D games or Guild Wars 1/2. But when it’s an unfamiliar system, with an unknown goal, it’s like being given a job to do without the tools to do it. I’m having that problem in Divinity Original Sin at the moment — I can’t decide what to do on level up, because I don’t have the information to decide.

I’m not sure if you’re the same, or you just don’t like buildcrafting and you’d rather Dark Souls were a pure action game with gear upgrades. However, I find that when I hit a brick wall with builds there are worse things to do than find a build guide on the internet and do what it says. You might find that works for you in this case.

Oakreef says:

I’m certainly not opposed to classes, character customization or character specialization.

There a few things I have issue with in RPGs. The first is if start the game and I have 100 HP fighting dudes with swords with 50 HP and I do 5 damage per strike, and at the end of the game I have 1000 HP and I’m fighting dudes with swords with 500 HP and I do 50 damage per hit then what has changed? Functionally nothing. It’s just numbers inflation and pointless padding. I get no gratification from seeing bigger numbers.

Similar to that if I’m doing 50 damage per hit and I’m fighting guys who have 202 health and 245 heath those are functionally the same to me anyway. It’s a pointless distinction and the larger the numbers get the harder it is for me to keep track of whether I should care about the difference between 350 and 389. E.g. if all prices in your game are divisible by 50 (which is something I’ve seen several times) you should just divide all your goddamn prices by 50 and make the cheapest thing cost 1.

And of course as you said there’s the thing of throwing me into the middle of this complicated system of numbers that’s not explained and asking me to create permanent character choices. According to what people where saying when I googled what to level up there’s even a stat (resistance I believe) that is functionally useless. What a load of crap.

But my overall feelings can be summed up as follows: If your RPG maths are too complicated to have worked and been fun in board game they’re too complicated for me to care about.

• Gryz says:

It seems most gamers have no clue what’s going on in an RPG or an MMO. They see stats of a way to become “über”. But that’s not the point.

The point is that certain stats are required to play certain parts of the content. By altering your stats, the game-developers allow, and maybe even force you, to move from one part of the game, one part of the world, to move to the next part.

Role-playing games and MMORPGs often play in a make-believe world. The main part of such games is still to mess around in a fantasy. Escape the real world. Dream about make-believe. Feel like a hero, feel like a stranger, feel like an explorer. RPG stats and experience-points are just a mechanic for designers to make you move through that world or fantasy in a guided way.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Let me give you an example about the “money problem”.

Let’s say there’s a luck stat that increases your average drop, if the price for the cheapest item is 250 and you usually drop 50 coins each mob, that stat might raise the counter to 58-62 or something.

That 250 would turn into 5 with your price model, and it would ruin a luck stat that would be forced to give you either one coin or DOUBLE the amount and it would only seem to decently increase at very large softcap steps.

Oakreef says:

Instead of a 20% increase in money dropped in all encounters you can have it give encounters have a one in five chance of dropping double. Long term the results would identical.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Power gaming pure numbers is super boring. It’s much more interesting when progress mean new gameplay choices. Like unlocking a perk to dual wield, being able to do new moves, pickpocket or something instead of Damage +0,05% and +2 HP (while the game keep scaling 1:1 anyway).

• malkav11 says:

This. I think Dark Souls has a lot of other things to offer, but making stats go up slightly and thus get a 0.25% damage increase or shave 0.15% off incoming damage or whatever is boring and only really noticeable in the aggregate. The preferable approach to RPG levelling, in my book, is to get to choose between significant upgrades that alter how you actually play: a perk system is a strong contender (though you do need to be able to come up with more interesting perks than Bethesda often does). But when push comes to shove, even incrementing stats will do as long as each point invested makes a clear and noticeable difference in whatever that stat affects. That simply isn’t the case most of the time in Dark Souls. You might reach the stat requirement of a new piece of gear, or open another attunement slot, occasionally, but aside from that? Incremental incremental incremental.

• Relani says:

But Dark Souls progress IS about unlocking new gameplay choices. Your stats really aren’t that important for the marginal boosts they show you on the stat screen; they’re much more important for tailoring your character to how you want to play. So, for example, you boost magic so you have the ability to access stronger and different spells, or you boost dex to have access to lots of crazy “finesse” type weapons. Yeah, people min-max for pvp, but the stats aren’t really something you have to worry about screwing up too much. It’s much more about learning the game systems and becoming more skilled. You can beat the entire game as a soul level 1 deprived with a non-upgraded club if you want. Of course, that would be hard and not very fun, but my point is that the game is much more about the skill ceiling than stat allocation.

• airtekh says:

I sympathise with you. I hate numbers in games as well, particularly RPGs, and Dark Souls is terrible at explaining what they all mean.

The only number that really matters is the strength of your weapon (+1 +2 etc), which you can upgrade at the blacksmiths. Find a weapon you like, and just keep upgrading it with titanite.

If there’s anything else you are curious about, I strongly advise looking it up on a wiki. Don’t let anybody tell you to “find out for yourself because Dark Souls is about finding stuff out for yourself”. Fuck that. Look it up, and you’ll understand the game better and be able to actually play it – I know I did.

• Gryz says:

By coincedence, I started play DS1 too, about 3 weeks ago. I always loved the screenshots I saw, the stories I read. But stuff (bad polish, bad UI, bad movement, respawning enemies, invasions, etc) kept me from trying DS1 and DS2 for more than an hour.

Now I am over half-way through DS1. And I really like it. The game is far from perfect. (I could make it better, imho. :)) I agree a bit more explanation, and maybe a little hand-holding in the early game, would make it better. Took me 1/3rd of the game before I understood what “kindling” was. Having 10 (or 15, 20) sips of a flask makes such a huge difference.

I resorted to reading wiki-pages. There’s a lot of documentation. Just not in game, and not by From. I looked up how the dex/str system works. How to upgrade weapons and armor. When an NPC asks me a seemingly harmless question, I alt-tab and look up the consequences. I read about what poison-resist gear is best for BlightTown and what lightning-resist gear I can/should have for Ornstein and Smough. People might think this spoils the game. But it doesn’t. I’m a smart guy, I can figure out stuff myself. But the mechanism of “try, die and try again” doesn’t do it for me.

But yeah, the RPG-part isn’t fun. But you can overcome it by googling and wikis. Some harsh game-mechanics can be overcome by “cheesing”. E.g. you’re supposed to run through thrash-mobs to a boss, in stead of fighting your way every time after you die. When I lookup boss-strategies, it’s often cheesing. Capra Demon seems impossible ? Solution: go stand on a ledge where he can’t reach you. In a game like WoW that’s cheating. That’s unacceptable. In DS it seems the norm. Taurus Demon ? A gimmick-fight (3 plunges and he’s dead). Summon NPCs (easy-mode), summon players (even easier-mode). Always pick the master-key as gift. Make NPCs walk off ledges and kill themselves. Hard archers you can’t get past ? Shoot arrows back from a distance where they can’t reach you. The game is full with this. The difficulty is overrated, if you know how to cheese the system.

DS1 is still a very fun game, though. :)

• Marblecake says:

All of this. Also started DS1 a few weeks back, now about to fight Quelaag. It really isn’t that “difficult”, it’s just terribly unforgiving and obtuse. The latter raises the difficulty artificially, because you have no idea what you’re doing. And I don’t mean that the game doesn’t tell you where to go and what to do next, that’s fine…even fun. No, it’s those RPG systems. I didn’t upgrade any weapons for the longest time because I didn’t know what the actual effect would be and if it was really worth it. And I had to start over after I’d rung the first bell because my build was borked. That’s frustrating, not difficult. If I was less curious about what the hell is going on in that world and less interested in experiencing it for myself rather than watching a Let’s Play, I would’ve stopped playing already.

• Marblecake says:

“opaque”, not “obtuse”. Apologies, English isn’t my first language.

• Unsheep says:

Dark Souls is far from perfect. The movement mechanics, camera angles, hit boxes and targeting system are all quite bad. They do improve with each game however, Dark Souls 3 in particular.

Doing the calculations only give you a marginal advantage. Regardless of how you level up it still comes down to how well you play the game, so even though you follow a given formula for leveling your character things might still not work for you.

So my advice it to simply put your leveling points where it makes sense to your chosen class and style of gameplay. These games are only as complicated as you make them.

Herzog says:

Finished Strider this afternoon. Definitely recommended and has the right length. Needed around 10 hours for the playthrough which involved a lot of exploring.
    Next game from the backlog is Stacking. Saw it at a friends home on the ps3 and found it very charming.

Also Spelunky. Always Spelunky

TehK says:

I got myself some Sherlock Holmes: Crimes&Punishment in one of this week’s deals. And since the weather seems to be quite aweful this weekend, i’ll have some time to pour me a wee dram of whisky, eat some chocolate and enjoy 19th century London :D

5. José Devezas says:

I just bought Mad Max and Pillars of Eternity (there was a sale on G2A) and also the new Hearthstone expansion pack. I’ll probably play Mad Max this weekend, but I’m on vacation, so I’ll also have some time for the other two. :D

6. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Dark Souls. Have become slightly Miyazaki obsessed lately and although I’m happy waiting before I get absorbed in DS3, all the DS talk has got me playing my incomplete NG+ run. I’m finding stuff I never saw before, the game is huge. And now I’m back with the original, I do think it’s still better than Bloodborne. There’s just something about it that feels real, not a video game location. The fact some areas have loads of bonfires but the drowned town of New Londo has none. That sort of thing. Nothing panders to the player, it’s like the devs found a real place and said “here you go, see how you get on”.

• michelangelo says:

Very well said. Cold of stone, wet soil, corrosion, rot of wood, burned flash, ozone condensed under waterfall, smell of decay in truly dark grave tomb. It’s something that Demons and FIRST Darks have and what is absolutely missing in the sequels (among many other things). Bloodborne (great in other aspects) is missing this particular quality as well.

First Souls games pure minimalistic realism, logic and logistics of locations is absenting in the sequels. These possess scenes and sceneries overcrowded by stuff, its messy, way too many objects on the screen, way too little sense to be found in them, and as a whole something where players attention is being drowned.

PS—In common, it is possible to find this phenomenon in the Fallout series as well. That material and air smell first two games have, is missing from 3th sequel further.

PPS—This weekend I was playing “Grim Fandango” since I haven’t done that thus far.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Yes, spot on, you can smell Lordran. Such a great game.

How you getting on with Grim? One of my other faves, has so much character and also requires a guide to avoid getting too frustrated!

• michelangelo says:

Feels like I am back in the Guybrush Threepwood shoes. Yet scene and actors are different, DNA of humor is cup of coffee I liked before and joy of playing it follows Manny Calavera as well. Progress wise at the beginning and been searching for an advice already. Right now I have prepared two A4 pages of walkthrough, just in case another misunderstanding, what game wants from me, appears.

7. cairbre says:

I’m thinking some coh2 anyway and then maybe back to the witcher 3. I think I’m near the end now. I don’t want to say to much for fear of spoilers but I am going visiting everyone to help me with a battle.

8. Blackcompany says:

Stories: The Paths of Destinies. It’s like Bastion and Shadow of Mordor had a bright, cartoon kid full of Fox Pirates. Good fun, deserves a look.

Also tried Dark Souls III and to get a refund. It wasn’t the difficulty, so much as being forced to repeat the same content over and over again. I simply don’t have and can’t be bothered. For me, the formula has lost it’s magic.

Though if more Souls is your thing, you’re gonna be in for a treat, cause it’s mighty good at giving you that, I must admit.

• Blackcompany says:

The time, I mention to say. Don’t have the time for trudging through the same enemies over and over.

• Blackcompany says:

Meant to say. I love mobile device keyboards this morning.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I’m interested in Stories, looks like a fun, unique game. Perhaps I’ll buy it over the weekend.

9. NetharSpinos says:

I did buy the White March expansion for Pillars of Eternity recently, but it hasn’t really done much to impress me yet. Instead I’ll most likely be playing a bit more of Battlefleet Gothic Armada, now that the Eldar are in the Beta and have introduced themselves by giving me a ruddy good stomping.

• gunny1993 says:

I’m having so much fun playing as the Eldar, only problem I really foresee with them in the later game is that they’re easily the most micromanagy race currently in the game, I don’t know how i’m going to deal with controlling so many ships, even with slow mo.

10. lowprices says:

It looks like the App Store WWF promotion was all it took to get me back into Hearthstone, so I’ll be switching between that and HotS.

Also, all the previews talking about skill-trees and expanded combat have suggested that Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst probably isn’t going to be the game I want it to be, so I’m going to replay the original and grumble to myself.

caff says:

SOMA because it was on sale recently.

And I’ll probably inject some more Rocket League into my eyelids, oweing go my terrible addiction.

Risingson says:

How’s soma?

And is there a way to read the game name and not start humming the strokes song?

• Geebs says:

Soma is like a walking sim, but with the addition of a plot, genuinely interesting concepts and well-acted, engaging characters. It’s well enough done that, even though I went in knowing roughly what it was about, it still surprised me. There are occasional stealth bits which the critics all came down on rather hard – they’re not great but they’re not bad either.

It’s well worth the money and the 5-10 hours, in my opinion.

• Javier says:

While I understand where you’re coming from, calling it a simple walking simulator is doing a bit of a disservice to the game. Not only there’s some exploring to it, with the possibility of finding some optional stuff, but where most walking sims offer few to no ways of interacting with their worlds, SOMA does an amazing job at immersing you in its environments with how tactile everything is. It also has fantastic sound design, making every interaction feel just real and “weighty” (if that’s the right word).

• Javier says:

I failed to mention there’s lots of puzzles. They’re all very simple, I’ll give you that, and you’ll never be stuck figuring them out for any longer than five minutes, but they’ve done a great job in making them all feel really well integrated in the narrative, and not “gamey” at all. As a result, you’re never just walking around, but working on stuff and moving things around. As silly as it may sound, having to move a chair out of the way so that I can work on something or take a look at it more comfortably gets me into the game a lot more than most other stuff games are doing these days that you could think of.

• Geebs says:

I might have been a bit too tongue-in-cheek for my own good, there. Soma is pretty much the one the only walking simulator game ever to bother to include actual interaction, player agency, and meaningful choices. Through all of the stuff you mentioned, Soma proved that it was actually possible to do interactive narrative well.

12. Morcane says:

Trying some Dark Souls 3. I always end up not playing Dark Souls games: I start very up-beat, get my ass handed to me on silver platter, try it again and again and then just give up.

Of course, some Division shenanigans.

On Sunday I’ll be on a plane to the US of A, for work purposes and things, so I’ll probably play lots of Hearthstone and Clash Royale on my phone.

• Unsheep says:

What is ‘deeply challenging’ to one person might simply become ‘very tedious’ to another. That’s just one of the many contradictions when it comes to a Souls-Borne game. Personally I’m always ‘on and off’ between enjoying the challenge and being bored by the repetitiveness and weaker narrative.

13. Chaoslord AJ says:

Playing the new version of Caigan’s Ferret Business Minecraft modpack. A quest guided experinece where you er play some trader ferret race. Setting up automated mining with a reactor-powered quarry now.
    Also Dark Souls 3 to relax from trading…

14. Freud says:

I’m playing Tonsillitis. It’s an immersive sim with an interesting energy drain mechanic.

15. Det. Bullock says:

I’m replaying Wing Commander Saga (the fangame) and a few Capcom fighting games.
    WCS is a thing of beauty, there are no cockpits but many of the little immersive touches (like starting missions in the hangar and landing manually) are still there and while the mission design is still very WC3 at least there is a lot of personalized comm chatter by your wingmen (entirely voice acted) that compensates for the lack of the classic WC cutscenes.
    The gameplay is essentially WC with Freespace controls (Freespace after all is visibly built in the WC series to begin with), so with real targeting computer controls (you have a key for everything from bombers to turrets, after playing the barebones Wing Commander V I’m in heaven) and energy system management controls that don’t suck, of course that means I have to use the mode switch on my HOTAS to map all necessary commands but that’s a quibble.
    Last time I’ve played the mission design got old quickly though, I wonder if I will feel the same now that I’ve played Secret Ops.

16. Minglefingler says:

Darl Souls 3. I’ve never finished a Souls game, I got to the Ceaseless Discharge in the first and some sort of tower circled by a chariot bastard in the second. My memory is a bit sketchy on that one though. I plan on seeing the course with this one (that could change if I get too pissed off) and I made it to The Road of Sacrifices this morning. Aside from an intensely frustrating spell caused mainly by repeated deaths at the hands of fucker knights just before Vordt I’ve really been enjoying myself and for the first time in a Souls game I’ve opted for a melee build with no magic of any description.

• Grim_22 says:

Sad to say this, but if the other games pissed you off… I’ve completed all of the previous games and I thought I was pretty good at this point. Then I arrived at Irithyll and got backwards gobsmacked so hard I think I’m actually bleeding from several places in real life.

Help.

17. kwyjibo says:

Does no one play Audiosurf any more? Fired it up for the first time in ages with PJ Harvey’s new album, and it is barren.

I was going to watch the latest House of Cards this weekend. But I might play/watch some of the Telltale bundle instead.

• Agnosticus says:

I sure do! It’s a great way to relax and listen to music. I’m a strict mono-guy though.

Unfortunately, Audiosurf 2 was quite disappointing: A lack of innovation, contrast and fluidity made me refund it at sales price and return to the original.

Audioshield on the other hand will be one of the first titles I would buy, if I’ll ever get my hand on a Vive (and a more powerful graphics card)!

18. zsd says:

Having a pleasant weekend of not asking for this with Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Ah, my favorite fridge tossing simulator. It’s great that the game gives you the option to indulge in interior decorating as well as using heavy items to kill enemies.

There are loads of other little details and connections that I like about it, some perhaps unintentional. Pritchard rhymes with Richard and Dick is short for Richard. Pritchard is often a dick.

• zsd says:

Yes, the last time I played it, years ago, I spent all my praxis on hacking instead of social engineering and fridge-lifting capabilities. I see now that was a huge mistake.

Also I tried not to steal anything, but I have discovered there has never been a game in which stealing is more okay than in this one. I’m sitting at my desk? Dig through my drawers, I don’t mind.

19. Darth Gangrel says:

I’m going really old-school and playing Star Wars: Dark Forces (1995). It’s actually before my time, since my first proper PC game was Dark Forces II. Now I finally get to close the circle by playing Kyle Katarn’s first adventure. Quite fun, there are a lot of things that remind me of Dark Forces II here that I like.

I’m playing it on Steam, because the Humble Star Wars Bundle only contained Steam keys. I usually do my old school gaming on GoG because it feels more appropriate, since there’s no need for any other darn programs to run the game. GoG is also more known for getting old games to run on newer systems. I know you can run this game without running Steam, but if it’s already on Steam then I might just as well run it from Steam.

Since I don’t know how good Steam is at getting really old games to work on newer systems this was the big test. I got it running on my Win 7 laptop after some Googling and tinkering, so Steam gets a pass from me. Still gonna do most, if not all, of my old school gaming from GoG, though.

• Det. Bullock says:

DosBox games are usually fine on steam, it’s old windows games that usually suck, Dark Forces II on steam lacks music for example, and the X-wing titles are available only in floppy disk and windows versions, lacking the superior (YMMV) Dos CD-rom versions.
      I had also a bad experience with King’s Quest Collection, the more recent games just refused to work properly.

• Unsheep says:

My experience has been the opposite as far as older games on Steam goes, I often come across some problem or other.

I re-bought a couple of games on GOG that worked poorly through Steam, and discovered they worked perfectly in the GOG version. So now I have replaced my entire Steam collection of classic games with the GOG versions, and have simply not had any problems with them (so far at least).

One of the benefits with GOG is that they seem dedicated in delivering a quality product and fixing problems, as even these older games are constantly being updated.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Dark Forces is one of my earliest gaming memories – I know I played Doom earlier, for example, but barely remember that far back except for co-op shenanigans with my dad. Dark Forces I remember vividly, I think it just occupies a sweet spot in my otherwise terrible long-term memory. In any case, it’s a brilliant fps in its own right, and also a great Star Wars game (without a single lightsaber, look at that) with all the appropriate colours and noises and general swooshy space-opera feel. Its gunplay is pretty great, its missions were somewhat innovative at the time and are still plenty fun (if a bit maze-y in places). It also has my favourite iteration of the Concussion Rifle, so there’s that.

Now that I think of it, I’m pretty sure I still have the disc kicking around somewhere…

As for old games and steam, yeah, I usually try to avoid it. I’ll grab ’em if they’re going super cheap in a sale and I have less to lose, but steam’s policy on older games pretty much seems to be “just grab them and sell them”. You can get a refund if they don’t work pretty easily these days, so there’s that I guess. But while GOG make occasional mistakes, the way they deal with older games and the help the provide on the very rare occasions when something goes awry makes me far more inclined to throw my money at them if I have the choice between the two.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Older games are often great, but for Dark Forces I had to look up a youtube walkthrough twice while only at the fourth mission (“god, I hated that mission!” people said in the comments about the fourth mission’s mazes). Sometimes it’s a bit too a-maze-ing and one of the best ways to piss me off is to be vague. I hate having to think “so, where to go/what to do next?”. I don’t mind exploring, but there’s a difference between losing yourself in exploration and feeling lost. Dark Forces reminded why I love older games and why I don’t play them as much anymore.

• Turkey says:

Yeah, I love all the Lucas Arts FPS’ but they all suffered from terrible level design.

20. Sjeng says:

Playing some Faeria to test some deck ideas. I recommend this one. It combines the core values of strategy card games with a living board. You can shape the board to put your troops on. Early access, but they dropped the price to $9 which is certainly worth it.

Also perhaps a bit of Squad if I have time. Enjoying the team play.

Philopoemen says:

Doing the dailies and incursion for the Division, and because I’m feeling poorly, Everybody’s Gone to The Rapture, as I’ve wanted to play it, and it doesn’t seem to require to much reaction time on my behalf.

22. Unsheep says:

Some RaceRoom, Sebastien Loeb Rally and WRC 5.

Alekhine’s Gun. A spiritual addition to the Death To Spies series. Like the previous games it has a really nice historical immersion and interesting scenarios. The gameplay is reminiscent of the earliest Hitman game but is more technical, with more actions and skill-sets.

Hopefully some Avernum, Massive Assault and JULIA Among the Stars.

23. Stepout says:

Odallus: The Dark Call. It’s a metroidvania that looks kind of like a Castlevania game on the NES. I’ve been playing it in my living room using my Steam Link and XBOX 360 wireless controller which makes it a technologically advanced, old-school experience. Loads of fun.

24. MadJax says:

Final Fantasy IX, still my favourite of the series, and surprisingly a good port in my experience (I’ve not run into the problems that several others have).

Absolutely loving the game again.

• Talahar says:

I would love too dip into IX again, I can’t afford it right now, as money is tight. But I have fond memories of it, I’d really love to revisit it again. :)

• rahji says:

my first Final Fantasy and still the one I like most.

• Aetylus says:

Playing it as well – but its the first time for me… its lovely pure escapist stuff.

• Someoldguy says:

Playing FF IX for the first time. I loved VII when it hit the PC and did pretty much everything you can do in that game. Never had a console to try IX so this is proving lots of fun. I haven’t yet reached the power to pull off any impressive summons to see how they compare with VII’s gloriously over the top Materia effects, looking forward to that.

25. AlfieV says:

This weekend will likely be the same as every gaming session in recent weeks:

Naval Action, Naval Action, Naval Action, a few quick rounds of Rocket League, Naval Action, Naval Action.

So at least I’m not doing that thing of obsessing and over-immersing myself in a game again…

26. Talahar says:

Still kneedeep in SWTOR, but I just redownloaded LOTRO again. Looking forward to dip back into what my char was doing in that particular gem. Also I redownloaded Starpoint Gemini 1. It’s been a while.

• Someoldguy says:

LOTRO was so much fun when it came out and I have spent time there since, in fits and starts. Unfortunately every time I get nostalgic I update it and discover that they’ve completely redesigned the way the 80 Burglar abilities fit together yet again and usually lack the will to continue.

Mr. Anderson says:

Dark Souls 3.
    I finished my first playthrough yesterday and now I’m torn between NG+ and starting a new character. Also I haven’t seen all of the optional areas and bosses yet.
    It’s a bit disappointing though that my first, almost completely blind playthrough only took me 30 hours.

28. smisk says:

I’m going to continue to make my way through the beautiful Hyper Light Drifter, and maybe find the time to lose a few matches of Street Fighter V as well.

29. Bobtree says:

Dark Souls 3, unspoiled, and soloing the bosses.

30. Erroll the Elder says:

I am playing “Wait for my Rift.”. Its provided me many more days of enjoyment then I had originally anticipated..

Risingson says:

Played a bit of Back To The Future episode 1. I still think that telltale knew how to desing and pace adventures, but something here feels very stale, like all the elements (movie characters, puzzles, the funny secondary characters) were hammered to fit together. It ultimately follows the Broken Sword 2 school of design: one or two screens, a feeling that you are going through stages rather than a story. Now I understand why moving to The Walking Dead design was necessary.

32. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Divine Divinity for me. I decided to give it a whirl on a whim and am hooked. What a great game. It still plays wonderfully for being older, with easy-to-parse UI and a lot of freedom.

• malkav11 says:

Just don’t forget to manually save on a regular basis. I’ve been spoiled by how much modern games autosave. Turns out that Divine Divinity doesn’t so much.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I have been, thanks for the reminder! I’ve been playing a lot of older games so I’ve gotten into the habit again.

Philopoemen says:

I couldn’t get it to work in Win 10 – any tips?

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I’m still using Windows 7. Do you have it through GOG? They’re a good resource for getting older games to work on newer systems.

33. syllopsium says:

Samorost 3! Lovely game. Also some Jet Set Radio Future on XBox, brilliant game.

34. rahji says:

Well I will give some of the Telltale Humble Bundle a try. Never played any telltale game, so it will be a new experience for me. Don’t know the game that I am starting with.

35. malkav11 says:

Not sure, really. Hex, Marvel Heroes and SWTOR are all strong contenders, as is Pillars of Eternity. I did complete Oxenfree last weekend but there are achievements for a couple of other approaches that I am tempted to try to get (like the one where you never select dialogue options and remain mute for the entire game, which sounds like it would get hilarious after a while). I’ve just started Sorcery! 2 and picked up Sorcery! 3 the moment it arrived on Steam, so I could while away some hours that way. Or I could just sit like a lump and watch TV and Let’s Plays all weekend with a brief pause to cook some macaroni and cheese (no, not the boxed stuff. Proper mac and cheese, which is actually cooking.)

36. fish99 says:

Dark Souls 3 for me, maybe half way through. 2-hand Uchigatana dex build.

A mixed bag so far in terms of the quality of the areas. There’s been a few that weren’t up to the same standard as the exceptional start of the game in terms of design and visuals. It is nice though that you can see how the areas are situated relative to each other, and that they all connect.

Slightly disappointed that all the mechanical clunkiness that dates back to the original Demon’s Souls is still there – the action queuing, the occasionally dodgy hit zones, the unreliable lock-on system, enemies hitting you through walls etc. Also have the auto-save stutter issue.

It’s too early to judge the game though.

37. DeadCanDance says:

Philippa is cute

38. welverin says:

Some Destiny and I want to dedicate some time to Arkham Knight.

39. Ejia says:

The SEA version of Phantasy Star Online 2. It’s… ehhh.

zinzan says:

Was planning on playing a VR game called “finish work early for once, spend time with significant other; then get a decent nights sleep.” As it didn’t happen I’m faffing around with Combat Mission (FI, BN & FB).

41. Michael Fogg says:

Fallout 4 survival mode (beta). It’s really fun, no fast travel makes it feel almost Morrowindian and makes me appreciate the world much more. Instead of hopping anonymously between locations you get to plan the route (“okay, so I’ll take the road south from Concord, pass Starlight Drive in on the right, then turn left and continue along the train tracks, I’ll need to remember to watch out for that radscorpion under the rail underpass”), it makes you feel so much “inside”.

42. Vintageryan says:

Mad Max, enjoying it but also finding it is starting to get quite Grindy, really think in this case less could of been more.

Did buy the humble telltale bundle and started back to the future, was impressed how quickly it bored me and I love back to the future so fear the other games will be even worse.

• Dr Biffo says:

Yeah, it’s a good game at first but the fun wears off, doesn’t it? The most fun I had was playing along with the Thunderdome soundtrack at the same time. Awesome, for an hour.

43. Gomer_Pyle says:

Poor Pip :(

• Gomer_Pyle says:

Oh, and I am hoping to play some AoM: Extended Edition this weekend, if I am not too busy.

44. DevilishEggs says:

I also have relaxing visualizations about lying in very shallow rivers. But usually it is surrounded by a desert.

Still dabbling in Bunker Punks. It’s whetting my 2.5D appetite so I might have to branch out into Shadow Warrior or Dark Forces.

particlese says:

I’m still playing Elder Scrolls Online and Devil Daggers while trying to figure out what to properly abuse my new computer with.

I’m a few points away from level 50 on my main in ESO but more importantly have stockpiled over 100 bananas by extracting them from a large colony of quickly respawning monkeys. It makes a gross/satisfying squishy sound when you harvest them, and you also get “white meat” half the time which can somehow be grilled into a nice slab of “roast pork”. The bananas are primarily for making “banana surprise”, which is a pie consisting entirely of bananas and something I often use as a gift when trading/sending people things. Usually gets a fun response.

As far as Devil Daggers goes, I finally broke 200 seconds by about 9s, but my form was terrible, so I just burst out laughing when I saw my time. Also, the first worm/snake thing got hung up for a split second as I killed it, so it feels like a dirty win. I’ve gotten 201s after that, so at least I know it wasn’t a fluke…

For stressing the computer, I’m thinking of re-download the Star Citizen alpha (it’s been a few years) or maybe Life is Strange or something. The latter is the shiniest game on my wishlist besides MGS5, but I’m not in the mood to concurrently play a second sprawling game at the moment. Crysis 1 still comes in at under 60fps if everything is maxed out, as is to be expected.

Captain Narol says:

2 very different indy games that recently went out of early access and got me both immediately hooked :

Tyto Ecology

Build a belanced ecosystem, unlocking new species to add if you do well. Overall 70 different species of Animals and Plants to unlock… Best ecological game I ever played, strongly recommanded if you like nature and wildlife !

Ascent – The Space Game

It’s like a indy version of Eve Online but without the PVP and ganking, instead focused on the space colonisation aspect, with 270 Billions procedurally generated star systems that the players can explore and colonize ! Outside the central zone, all the economy is player-run and it’s the players who build the stargates to the new systems discovered. Gonna keep me busy until No Man’s Sky is out !

Lars Westergren says:

I played the Witness. I’ve reached “the challenge”. I have played this game so much I feel nauseated, but I don’t want to give up either. Basically I’d like to get off Mr Blow’s wild ride please. Doot doot.

I restarted Pillars of Eternity this time on Path of the Damned. This game is so pretty.

48. franciscasparks says:

Fantastic work-from-home opportunity for anyone… Start working for three to eight hr a day and get from $4000-$7000 each month… Regular weekly payments…… ITS ORIGINAL SITE AVOID BY FUCK SPAMMER….

———->>>>>> http://www.worknow88.com