Have You Played… Botanicula

With Samorost 3 out last month, hopefully interest in creators Amanita Design is high. Perhaps you missed their utterly lovely Botanicula [official site]?

Sometimes it doesn’t need words.

From this site

Risingson says:

Actually it does: the guy from amanita has being doing cute Gobliiins kind of remakes from the beginning, some better, some worse, but always impressive in their unique style.

I just wish all of them had the sense of awe and accomplishment that The Polyphonic Spree game had.

2. All is Well says:

I love Botanicula. That “woohoo” sound from the game still makes me smile when I think of it, even though it’s been quite a while since I played the game.

3. Freud says:

It’s like an adorable and deranged television show for children. I had a stupid smile the whole time playing this because of how it looks and sounds.

4. baozi says:

No… actually, Machinarium is one of my favorite games, I absolutely love the atmosphere. But I watched the trailer of Botanicula and somehow didn’t feel like I wanted to play it

• Aldwin says:

Yeah, I loved Machinarium too, I bought and wanted to like this when it came out but bounced off it hard, no idea why but I just didn’t enjoy it. Should probably give it another go sometime.

5. Jalan says:

My favorite Amanita title. I fear that when I get around to Samorost 3 that might change, but for now I’m comfortable with Botanicula holding the spot.

6. bill says:

Is it more like Samorost or more like Machinarium?
    Cos I liked the former and I didn’t like the latter.

7. Fenix says:

Botanicula is just ‘click on things to see things happen’, almost resembles an edutainment game, but it is SO good. And lets not forget the amazing sound design/OST as well.

8. Hidden Thousand says:

It is a lovely thing! I, too, had a stupid smile on my face while I was playing it. I also laughed at the astronaut moment, and was a bit uneasy about the black things doing their dark deeds. Oh, but what a pleasant experience it was overall. Deserves a replay sometime in the future, I guess, just for the positive emotions it brings.

9. floogles says:

Put aside your adult, and play this game with your un cynical inner child. One of the most beautiful experiences in gaming.

10. jbb060 says:

It needs sound though! The OST for it is one of the best…

link to soundcloud.com

cpt_freakout says:

Heh, I just finished it a while ago, after starting it on an insomniac night. I decided I needed something to lighten up, and man… what a joy of a game. The soundtrack is fantastic, and makes an already great visual treat into something very, very special. I wish I had played it before, but then again, maybe I actually did so at exactly the right moment. Now I’m gonna go blast through all Amanita games in the coming weeks!

12. gwz says:

Machinarium is my favorite Aminita design game, and yes I have played all of them. The music and sound design is soaring and the utter charm of every detail gives it the feel of a kids-show from a nicer planet. Just play it, okay?