English Country Tune Dev Serves Stephen’s Sausage Roll

English Country Tune and PuzzleScript developer Stephen ‘increpare’ Lavelle today released his latest block-pushing puzzler, Stephen’s Sausage Roll [official site]. It’s a push ’em up about rolling sausages around to cook them properly under increasingly tricky circumstances. He’s also the Stephen ‘increpare’ Lavelle who’s released squillions of fascinating free games like Subway Adventure and Slave of God, of course, but strewth, don’t go thinking his fondness for vignettes means his puzzles aren’t fiendish/delightful/bastard-hard.

Stephen’s Sausage Roll is a puzzler about rolling sausages around levels onto grills with a big fork to cook them on both sides without burning your meat. Simple enough. Sokoban-y stuff, yeah? Only… new systems and principles for the movement of sausages keep revealing themselves, making it an ever-more-complex game.

Our John went out to play a little then came storming back into the RPS treehouse, slamming doors and yelling that he doesn’t even want a sausage anyway. I think he’s given up, like with English Country Tune. I believe Pip’s been looking forward to Sausage Roll and might have something to say later, but in the meantime The Guardian and Destructoid both seem real into it. As is The Witness’s puzzlelord J. Blo.

Stephen’s Sausage Roll is out now for Windows, Mac, and Linux, £22.99/27,99€/$29.99 on Steam or £21.99 with a DRM-free version as well as a Steam key from the Humble Store. Yes, this trailer does very carefully avoid giving away anything about how Stephen’s Sausage Roll works:

[Disclosure: Stephen’s a friend of a friend and he once helped me staple fake flowers to a log cabin and I once killed a basil plant he gave someone but we’re not close and spelling this distance out is awkward, jeez.]

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Llewyn says:

His puzzles are indeed bastard hard. I got stuck during the tutorial section of English Country Tune.

• Darloth says:

You’re not the only one.

I like the style of the games but they require too much 3d spatial reasoning brainpower for me to actually find them enjoyable.

2. Catterbatter says:

I can’t understand pricing something so high and not explaining what it is, especially when it looks such a mess. I would love to play a demo of it.

3. Darth Gangrel says:

“this trailer does very carefully avoid giving away anything about how Stephen’s Sausage Roll works” So, it’s like every trailer ever made? Other than that, it doesn’t seem like every game ever made.

For no reason, I’m gonna tell you that I think of this Blackadder episode every time I hear the word “sausage: link to youtube.com

4. Thornback says:

Plus I also think that’s too high a price, especially with no real description and no gameplay on the storepage. And a lot of the supporters are saying to go play English Country Tune, that way I’ll understand or something.

I get that it’s taken A LOT of effort to make, but larger studios will often make things with more overall manhours and still price it lower.

Ninja Dodo says:

>Pretty rude of him to shuffle any threads by people on Steam discussion page asking about the price off to a subforum.

Not really. Seems like a pretty sensible thing to do, actually. The price is what is is, reasonable or not, and no amount of complaining is going to make the dev go “Oh wait, you’re right angryinternetman69 I AM overvaluing my work!”… If people who have no intention of buying the game at the listed price want to spend their time ranting about how its too expensive they can do that in the designated sub-forum. No one is stopping them from having the discussion, they’re just kept from cluttering up General Discussions with topics irrelevant to the actual game.

The Steam forums are kind of a trash-can fire at the best of times so some triage separating useful discussion from the not-so-constructive is just what it needs.

• Thornback says:

I just checked and there are a grand total of 12 user made threads there. So I still think it was unnecessary.

And worse, there’s now a subforum called “Telling the developer how to do their job” that he moved a single thread to which was just someone criticising the store page.

So really I think he’s just a giant baby, that’s throwing his toys out with every criticism.

5. LTK says:

English Country Tune was one of the hardest games I’ve ever completed, and still I don’t know if I can say that when I never completed the bonus puzzle cubes. I’ve shouted at the screen in despair how this game that’s nothing but a bunch of squares has no right to be this difficult.

I’m sure the same sentiment applies to this game, so I look forward to playing it.

6. SuddenSight says:

I’m not sure how I missed this announcement when it came out. This is absolutely a must buy for me, English Country Tune is one of my all-time favorite games.

After playing some of the game, I thought I’d throw out some opinion for people. I’m not sure how fair the price is (see must buy above), but it is a rather nice game. It is fundamentally a pushing things puzzle game (similar to english country tune, Puzzle on Increpare’s website, or puzzlescript games). Within the first 15 levels there are quite a few nice ideas in an enjoyable package. The puzzles are difficult, but not impossible (though I have played through Increpare’s previous games so I might have an advantage over a new player).

Definitely an enjoyable game for me!