Arcen Announce In Case Of Emergency, Release Raptor

Less than three months ago, AI Wars developer Arcen Games ran into financial bother that left the majority of their studio jobless. Now, they’ve announced their first 3D game – “the first of many”, they say – named In Case of Emergency, Release Raptor [official forum]. Previously, Arcen planned to build a fully-fledged 3D survival game and while this isn’t it, it will see the team “working on building the components for that larger game by building them into a smaller game (this one) first.”

In an effort to cut costs, company founder Chris Park took to a blog post to outline how In Case of Emergency, Release Raptor will rely on the Unity Asset Store for models, animations and shaders, among other things – most of which will be tweaked or tinkered with to suit Arcen’s style.

Levels will be procedurally generated, you’ll assume control of a velociraptor and go toe-to-toe with robots and “other machines”, and creating environments that can be torn apart by players will play an important part in how the game unfolds. Here’s Park on his goals and how In Case of Emergency, Release Raptor differs from the original survival game idea:

“This game is much more short-term, will be smaller and more self-contained, and comparably inexpensive. It should be really fun, and it will be a great way for us to make something fun while also building out a lot of systems that we will then turn around and have ready for the survival game.

“One of my big goals has been to have really fun destruction in this game. Right now you can kick over crates and barrels and so forth and that can be great fun. But I want to be able to break them apart as well, which will lead into being able to do the same sort of thing to enemies, too. So that’s the current task I’m working on.

“It’s trickier than you might think to do it right, in a way that is efficient and meets all my requirements. I’m having to pull bits from three different destruction tools, as well as coding quite a bit myself.”

It’s early days yet, so no mention of a release window for now – although Park does plan to keep up a Raptor Diary over the course of development. In the meantime, full details of the announcement can be found via the Arcen Games blog.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. BathroomCitizen says:

I’m curious about what Arcen will be capable of doing this time. They always have creative takes on genres.

2. Kaeoschassis says:

Well this is heartening news. Look forward to seeing what they do with this one.

3. Unsheep says:

This is the kind of quirky, cool and fun action game that really captures my attention. I look forward to seeing more of this game.

yhancik says:

Yay! (although I’m afraid this won’t replace Off-Road Velociraptor Safari as my favourite raptor-based game :p)

5. Syrion says:

I wonder how well 3D will work for him/them. Arcen is known for good ideas, but this concept so far doesn’t seem too exciting. The only fun I’ve had with 3D destruction since 2000 was with Red Faction Guerilla, which I suppose is nowhere near what a small team can do. Flipping over and breaking crates shouldn’t be a main feature. I hope he knows what he’s doing.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

If he wants anyone to take this game seriously, you had better be able to rotate those crates as well.

6. robyn says:

I’m a big fan of Arcen and really admire Chris’s drive to do things differently. Sadly though I can’t say that this premise interests me at all. I guess if he can do it quickly and cheaply then it might pay off but I can’t imagine this alone will rescue the studio. Then again Arcen have often surprised with clever game mechanics so I’m sure there’s something I’m not seeing here. Good luck guys! (So sad that you had let Pablo go, his compositions were often beautiful)

7. Blackcompany says:

Arcen are making–

Arcen? Ok, I’m listening…

A game where: “In a nutshell: you get to be a velociraptor, fight robots–”

8. Sin Vega says:

At last, they’ve got over their habit of giving their really fascinating, unique games such godawful, forgettable names.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I feel like “The Last Federation” is a great name as far as videogames go. It’s the last one, you see, but it’s also the first. It’s witty, you see.

I liked it, anyway…

• Sin Vega says:

Grumble whinge moan. Alright, that one was okay. I still have to pause a second to think about it though.

9. Duke Flipside says:

It almost feels as though Arcen got in a room in the midst of their financial troubles and said “Okay guys, we’ve got some serious problems here; how do we fix this?”

Somebody at the back of the room pipes up; “In case of emergency, release raptors!” to a round of amused chuckling.

“Okay guys, okay…but seriously, does anyone have any ideas?”

“…huh. Raptors it is, I guess.”

• Duke Flipside says:

…It was supposed to say “awkward silence” in the middle of the last lines but I foolishly used angle brackets :(

selkcip says:

Someone’s asking for a lawsuit link to