Sometimes Always Monsters, Sometimes, Always Always Sometimes Monsters – Sometimes, Monsters

2014’s Always Sometimes Monsters is a curious RPG, about an author crossing the USA to break up a wedding after being kicked out their apartment, with plenty of unpleasant decisions, prejudice, and hardship along the way. Ben’s Wot I Think called it “brilliant but flawed.” Now developers Vagabond Dog are showing off more of their sequel named Sometimes Always Monsters [official site], which surely won’t cause any confusion. Good news: everything turned out great! Bad news: it’s all going wrong!

Vagabond dog call Sometimes Always Monsters “the other side of the same journey,” starting the protagonist married and successful then risking losing it all. They say:

“In as many ways as possible, the games are designed to be reflections of one another. There are many parallels between the two, but they are opposites more often than not. Everything about the game’s setup and tone has been turned on its head to provide a familiar experience with a very different range of emotions.”

Sometimes Always Monsters will send your writer out on a cross-country book tour on a bus with your pick of author pals – and your spouse too, if you think that’s sensible. Let’s see how well your fame, fortune, health, and happiness hold up as you travel the country and visit cities.

SAM (Surface to Air Missile) will support importing saves from ASM (Assault Space Marine), with Vagabond explaining “Your characters and choices will be carried into the new game, picking up the story (however sordid) where you left off.”

Space Marines Always Monsters is due to launch later this year, published by Devolver Digital. Peep this new trailer:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. noodlecake says:

It’s nice to see some cool little animations there. They’re quite fluid too! It’s a shame they appear to still using whatever software it was they used to make the first game though.

I’ll probably buy this though. Enjoyed the original. :)

2. Kitsunin says:

Hm, so which is true, are there Always Sometimes Monsters, or Sometimes Always Monsters? The two statements contradict one another, in one case you are guaranteed that there are monsters sometimes (meaning there are never only or no monsters). In this other case, now and then you will find there are only monsters.

At least, that’s how I interpret the syntax.

• Guy Montag says:

Nah, I think it can work. Always Sometimes Monsters sets a base level of monstertude, while Sometimes Always Monsters would define peak moments of monsterability. Meanwhile, Monsters Always Sometimes will describe the horde mode in the 3rd game.

• Velko says:

Ah, very good! So this whole thing is actually about the fluctuations of monster population: there are always some monsters, and occasionally the population will be so large that nothing else exists.

I wonder what the period of monster population is. You see, a period defines how many different peaks and slumps there are in a population cycle: if the monster population oscillates between “nothing but monsters” and a certain number of monsters that is less than “everything” but every time the same, then the period would be two. Now, there’s a fascinating theorem related to this called “period three implies chaos”. If I recall correctly, it means that if there are at some point three values between which a population oscillates on every cycle, the underlying behaviour of the population also makes possible every single other cycle (that is, any peak/slump values between zero and infinity), and also completely chaotic cycles in which no real equilibrium value exists! Basically, that means that the population of monsters could therefore suddenly explode into infinity with no forewarning, if only it has exhibited “period three” behaviour at some point in its history. Quite extraordinary!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Clearly the sequel will be about the occasional occurrence of a monster made of maxi-pads.

• Jac says:

The way I see it is that all Poundlands are Poundshops but not all Poundshops are Poundlands.

3. Dr.Ded says:

This is great news! (that title though…)

4. Someoldguy says:

I can’t tell if this review has left some words out and mangled sentences deliberately to make some kind of point, or not.

5. Cederic says:

I have Always Sometimes Monsters in my steam library.

If I play it, and don’t like it, I’ll uninstall it. Or if I play it and complete it, I’ll uninstall it. Or even if I just play it then move onto something else, I’ll uninstall it.

But really, if I play it, it wont give me the level of pleasure I get out of seeing a game in my library called Always Sometimes Monsters.

I vision it as the gaming implementation of a Don Kenn gallery. The simulation of having Aspergers at a frat party. Maybe an adventure game in which you’ve taken off your pyjama trousers to go to the toilet, the house has collapsed around you and the neighbours are all waiting for the bathroom door to open.

The game can’t possibly match my expectations. I may buy the sequel just to have something to play, so that I can leave the original sat there, installed and unplayed, constantly causing delight that it exists with that name.