The Technomancer Out June 21, New Gameplay Trailer

When NASA discovered traces of water on Mars last year, the science world got excited. Could this discovery mean there’s actually life up there on the Red Planet? Well, having just watched the latest seven minute gameplay overview trailer for Spiders’ sci-fi action RPG The Technomancer [official site], I’m not sure I want this to be the case at all. What the hell IS that huge sandworm thing? Or that massive eight-legged creature? Or that towering double-horned reptile-like beast?!

Besides some gruesome and restless natives, the new video also explores character customisation, the four different skill trees the game will use, the three fighting styles you’ll get the chance to adopt, and the multiple ways you’ll go about completing quests.

Here, take a look:

In The Technomancer, you’ll assume control of protagonist Zachariah – a member of Martian corporation The Abundance who’s on the run from the planet’s Secret Police. As a technomancer, Zach can combine his three combat stances – combat with a staff, a blade and gun, or a blade and shield – with electricity. Its estimated forty hours won’t all be duffing stuff up, though. Publishers Focus Home say:

“All situations aren’t necessarily to be dealt with brute strength, with dynamic conversation dialogue playing a deep role in quests, changing the story depending on the decisions you make. Craft equipment, weapons and armor for yourself and for the companions you’ll recruit along your adventure, nurturing relationships with them.”

As an aside, French outfit Spiders are the same team behind Bound by Flame, Of Orcs and Men, and Mars: War Logs – the latter of which tells a similar tale to the studio’s incoming Mars ’em up. It also wasn’t very well received at launch which is probably why it’s not being mentioned during The Technomancer’s marketing campaign. Here’s hoping this one fares better.

Anyway, The Technomancer is due to release on June 21.

From this site

1. Don Reba says:

I don’t know, the trailer does not give me any reason to think the game will be terrible. It all depends on the writing.

2. Unsheep says:

I have to say I’m impressed with the visual quality, I did not expect that to be brutally honest, so that’s a pleasant surprise.

I hope they stick to making a tough and challenging game, that’s partly why I enjoyed ‘Of Orcs & Men’ and ‘Bound By Flame’. These games were not easy.

However I also hope they put more work on the storyline than before, to me that was the weakest part in their previous games. They needed more depth and engagement with the player, more “Hollywood” if you will.

The settings and gameplay are enough to put this game on my shopping list, I’m quite enthusiastic about it. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Philopoemen says:

I didn’t mind Wars: Mars Log, even if I can only vaguely remember what it was about. The world building was good, I remember that.

Probably won’t pick this up until the initial bugs have been sorted though. They made life difficult in the first one.

4. Otterley says:

Is this going to be a stand-up fight or another bug-hunt?

5. DinoSteak says:

Mars: War Logs felt like a slap in the face to not only the sci-fi genre in general, but to coherent narratives and action/rpg gameplay as a whole.

Having said that I bought and played it so they got theirs…You know what it was like? That sh**y Lost Planet game from years back, just a slew of half-cocked CTRL+V gameplay elements thrown in a blender and set to “Whatever sticks”.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I hate when people pile on cliché after cliché for no good reason.

• DinoSteak says:

Fine, M:WL was such a waste of time that lying naked and prostrate in the middle of an empty field covered in Nutella with the imminent threat of a 1000 honey badgers on the horizon…is still preferable to giving these guys any more money. Hyperbole FTW!

Less cliché?

6. Poerts says:

Spiders is such an interesting developer. Everything they put out is flawed to one degree or another (sometimes extremely so), but it’s pretty rare any of their games to be boring or uninspired. They keep putting out these really weird, interesting RPGs that are unashamedly aimed at a hardcore audience, and they do it at a pretty astonishing pace for such a relatively small company. I really can’t say I’ve ever properly fallen in love with a Spiders game, but I respect what they do.

Mars: War Logs was the closest I’ve gotten to really getting into one of their games, and this one looks like it might be taking that in a more polished direction, which I would certainly be cool with. Here’s hoping they sand off some more of the jank this time.

• Blastaz says:

Pretty much this. All their games have great world building, but are fairly rough and unpolished. They have generally got better every time though with bound in flame being pretty good fun all round. Mars started very rough but they patched it fairly solid, including redoing the entire English voice over.

I would say one issue with them is with how linear they are, they would benefit from having a go at making a proper hub and questing out from that, there world building makes me want to linger.

They also made game of thrones rpg, which was a great game but suffered because it was really a got game for rpg fans rather than an rpg for got fans. It was a bit too rough and numbers based for many show fans to enjoy.