Knock Your Block Off: BitRay Is Cheap And Fun

Because I like you, I’m here to tip you off to a sweet little puzzle game you’ll enjoy, and it’s only 71p! BitRay [Steam page] is a physics puzzler where you must zap away blocks to ensure a white block lands safely on a platform. BUT NO RED BLOCKS. Red blocks are evil. Down with red blocks!

There’s really not a lot more to explain than that. But like all good puzzle games, a simple concept can quickly become more interestingly elaborated. At first you’re just trying to make sure BAD EVIL red blocks roll off and fall to the death they so rightly deserve, while white blocks land safely, but quickly you’re having to work out how to eliminate other blocks such that a tower falls conveniently in the correct direction, knocking your white block to safety, then immediately removing spare blocks beneath it in time so it falls the right way. It’s not manic reflexes, but it does require a deft touch here and there.

It’s enormously satisfying to get right, and instantly restarts when you go wrong. It’s just what you were after – play it, you’ll see. And for 71p, if I’m wrong, you’ll eventually find it in your heart to forgive me.

But never forgive those red blocks. NEVER.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Llewyn says:

Read, bought. But I warn you Walker, I hold grudges. This better be good for that price.

(I particularly like that it’s 79p but has 10% off for launch.)

• Haplo says:

That’s kind of charming.

• Llewyn says:

It pains me to say it, but you’re not wrong.

Although I’m now stuck, and that must be your fault (and unfortunately the game doesn’t save, which isn’t, so I either have to battle through it or give up completely.)

• Spakkenkhrist says:

I’m stuck too but it appears to be a bug as I can’t remove a platform supporting one the large balls that destroys blocks, making the level impossible.

• Llewyn says:

I think there might have been a level with those balls suspended on raised platforms rather than destructible blocks, so it might just be a matter of coming up with another approach. Although it might be a bug, of course.

I made it to the end. I ate more than 71p worth of chocolate while playing it, and the game was the better buy. However a couple of the later levels are slightly irritating in that they seem to depend on repeating your actions until the physics causes things to land exactly right, rather than having repeatable solutions – although of course it could just be that I was doing it wrong.

distantlurker says:

Agh! You monster! Terrahawks flashbacks!

3. meepmeep says:

Or for 71p less, 2008’s Totem Destroyer:

link to

link to

4. VictorLagun says:

Ben King says:

Has anyone here ever played “tumbledrop” for the iPod? It was a similar concept but without the no good very bad evil red blocks to murder and it had the added bonus of being ridiculously cute. It was a nice little game to burn time with while waiting for the bus and I suspect I would get a decent kick out of this one as well :-)