Cyberpunk Shooter Ruiner Looks Pretty Dang Swish

Ruiner [official site] looks like the perfect game for the monstrous self-parody I affect for professional purposes. A top-down shooter with someone in a leather jacket roaming around a cyberpunk city where an incidental NPC with neon hair shaved at the sides says “every revolution has its haircut, man”? That’s me, man. This game is for me. Reikon Games have been muttering about Ruiner for a while, but today announced they’ve signed up with publishers Devolver Digital to release it in 2016. This is all celebrated with a pret-ty swish trailer full of mood, murders, and sliding:

Not bad, yeah? That city is a beautiful cyberpunk hell, isn’t it? And I’m certainly up for top-down shooting with shootybangs, meleebiffs, and augmentation wizardry like a shields, slowing time, and fancydodging. I do very much like the look of dashing, dodging, and sliding.

Story-wise, The Man has nabbed your brother so you have to murder loads of people and megacorp robots? Okay!

Reikon Games are a small Polish studio formed in 2014 by folks who’d previously (most of them) worked on The Witcher 2, Dying Light, and Dead Island: Riptide. Oh! And for music, their list of tuneproviders includes Paprika composer Susumu Hirasawa.

Ruiner is coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux later this year.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. c-Row says:

Crusader meets Syndicate with a pinch of Borderlands’ aesthetics? That could be interesting.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Replace “Borderlands” with Akira and you just described Brigador.

2. slerbal says:

I got a strong Crusader: No Remorse / No Regret from that video. That is enough for me to keep an eye on this. Sounds… interesting :)

• Winstons says:

Shit, that was a great game! Played as a teenager, never met anyone else who’d ever played it. Rolling around shooting rockets n’ guns, brilliant stuff. Also great plot.

3. aergistal says:

I’m rarely hyped about new releases but this looks very good. Since it’s also coming from my favourite publisher it really puts my patience to the test – in a good way.

4. Jakkar says:

I like that helmet. I like that narration. It will itch, playing a game that looks like that without it being a new Syndicate Wars, or a Satellite Reign sequel with a larger budget… But perhaps I can just enjoy the neon murder.

Very Crusader, yes, but naturally also a healthy bit of 3d Hotline Miami. All of this is good, yes yes.

• baozi says:

Yeah, was thinking Hotline Miami, too. Looking forward to it.

5. a very affectionate parrot says:

A cyberpunk shooter with Susumu Hirasawa on the soundtrack?
    This can’t come out fast enough.

6. noodlecake says:

Could be fun. It’s a shame that there doesn’t appear to be physics based death animations though as they really add a lot to games that are primarily based around gunning down/melee attacking loads of bad guys.

I still really want a decent melee based game with solid physics involved in the combat. Being able to feel like a bad ass action hero throwing people through piles of chairs and stuff.

The first level of Minority Report on the PSX was an excellent game (once they introduced guns it went down hill). The physics are a bit dated now but running through hotels throwing people across kitchen counters and bookshelves with (albeit rudimentary) ragdoll physics was so much fun! It was like being in a 90s action movie.

• RaoulDuke says:

I agree so much, if you’ve never played Max Payne 3 it is AMAZING for physics fun BTW [Give it a try, if unsure of buying/playing it, message me here and I’ll broadcast it on steam].

I watched the gameplay parts again at x0.25 speed and at 0:34 he appeared to “blast” through a few enemies and they were flying away but I couldn’t truly tell if it was an animation or physics, not enough frames, a similar thing happens again at 0:43 but its still too hard to tell.

BUT the good news is at 0:37 he is walking backwards sliding the corpse along the ground, so it does have rag-doll physics in that sense. Here’s hoping we’ll be able to blast them across the room in the final release.

• noodlecake says:

I quite enjoyed Max Payne 3 but it was more shooty, and there are a lot of games that are shooty with good physics. Not really much in the way of games where you can do that with melee combat.

There was the open world game set in Hong Kong that attempted to do that which was quite fun. :)

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’m a big fan of tossing people around (only in games, mind you) and I also miss more games where you can tackle/grapple and in other ways move people in a violent fashion. Deus Ex HR was the latest game in which I indulged myself, although that “only” allows for “heavy box tossing” at enemies. There is also a non-lethal gun there that fires a shockwave which blasts people back, it was really fun to use it on crowds.

The game I’ve enjoyed most in this respect is Dark Messiah, but Crysis 1/ Warhead also has plenty of physics based melee fun. You can even grab people by the throat and toss them.

Darksiders 1 and The Force Unleashed 1 & 2 are games that I liked very much, because they had “baseball” attacks with the enemy as the baseball. They’re both riddled with stupid console tropes and TFU 1’s controls are less than satisfactory, but I still enjoyed them very much.

GoG has the game Advent Rising which has lots of combat abilities and allows you to punch people to death.

Okay, so that’s quite many, but all of them are years old.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The best part of Witcher 2 was when you were defending a castle and could spend the whole time using your totally-not-the-force-guys power to send knights flying off of walls.

7. Voidlight says:

Too bad we have to wait till 2091- WAIT! It’s okay guys it was just a glitch! Those darn glitches!

8. Umberto Bongo says:

Why does this one overuse this word in nearly every article?

• Darth Gangrel says:

Many games are violent and involves killing others. It’s if questionable all the killing you’re doing in these violent games is in self-defense. Sure, the enemies are trying to kill you too, otherwise they wouldn’t be seen as enemies, but most videogames allow people to murder other people and makes it fun to do so.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Sorry, I forgot the ‘cool murders’ tag on this post. Added now. Thanks for pointing it out!

• Jakkar says:

Not enough killing in the diet. I empathise.

9. preshrunk_cyberpunk says:

I always feel rather obligated to buy games like these ;)

(the trailer DOES look good though and that music O_O)

10. manio22 says:

This looks beyond awesome. Like 2091 and beyond.

11. mwoody says:

That looks pretty nifty, actually. But they lose all the points if they don’t feature the Nine Inch Nails track of the same name as the theme.

12. snesbeck says:

“This video is private.”

• Zantium says:

Same for me “This video is private”. Clearly, “The man” has gotten to them. >..<