Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code Lands On Steam

Following on from the likes of Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-, Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!!, and BlazBlue: Chronophantasma Extend, Arc System Works are making good on their promise to bring 2D anime-inspired fighting games with long and absurd names to Steam. The latest arrival, boasting an equally sublime and ridiculous title, is Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code [official site].

Actress Again is the third entry in the Melty Blood series, released in 2008 by developers Type-Moon and French-Bread for arcade machines and the PlayStation 2. Current Code is an updated and rebalanced version, which has now been localised. Unhelpfully, the following Steam launch trailer has a typical amount of electric guitars and strange vocals but does little to explain what it’s all about:

This brief snippet from YouTube outfit Bas Gros Poing does however give you a better sense of what to expect:

Admittedly, while I’ve dipped in and out of the BlazBlue series over the years, I’ve only ever watched Melty Blood from afar. Going by that trailer, though, I reckon I could get into it as there appears to be some similarities? (HEATHEN! cries the Melty Blood Loyal in unison.)

Either way, here’s Arc on Current Code’s highlights:

– Pair any of the 31 fighters in the game with each of the unique fighting styles: Crescent Moon, Full Moon, and Half Moon.
– Discover each of the characters’ motivations as you battle through Arcade Mode.
– Hone your skills in training mode with every character and fighting style.
– Fight against your friends locally or online!

Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code (wow, that doesn’t get any easier to say) is out now on Steam for the discounted launch price of £15.19/18,39€/$19.99.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Sarfrin says:

Surely most blood comes already melted?

2. wilynumber13 says:

Be sure to play local multiplayer on an old laptop in a park gazebo, bathroom, restaurant lobby, or parking lot for the TRUE Melty Blood experience!

3. FriendlyFire says:

These guys sure seem to love their word salads.

4. Nucas says:

• Catterbatter says:

I think GP was referring to the featured games in the Steam store. If so, I agree for the most part but was intrigued by this one. It’s nothing I would ever play (not into fighting games), but I gather the series has a cult following. And the world finals are in a parking lot?

• April March says:

You deserve it if you trust Steam to deliver you to interesting games, rather than the unceasing whisperings from the monster that lives between the chambers of your heart.

5. pepperfez says:

It’s worth knowing that the netcode in this version is apparently much inferior to the rollback-based version that fans hacked into the original doujin version. There’s some talk of replacing it, but right now it sounds like a kinda iffy online experience.

• Eriol says:

It’s also worth knowing that the creator of the rollback-based system is now working directly with ArcSys to implement his code on the Steam version, expect a patch some time later.

• pepperfez says:

Cool! Last I heard he had reached out to them but not gotten an answer yet, so I made the usual assumption about Japanese companies and good online play. I’m glad Arc is willing to be helped here.

corinoco says:

You said ‘netcode’.

Everyone has to take a drink.

6. Zankman says:

I appreciate the female character design and presentation in this game.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Type-Moon’s female characters are, on the whole, great, and it’s always pleasantly surprised me, especially considering where they started out. Even when they do have women who dress provocatively it makes sense for their character. And they don’t do boob plates for armoured women, either.

• Zankman says:

You get it… Sexiness is not wrong or bad – as much as our “enemies” will try to make our opinion sound like that – but it’s about being used properly and smartly (like, as you said, for specific characters and situations).

I don’t know what Type-Moon did before, but, I’ll go out on a limb and say that it wass ecchi and/or hentai, hence your statement about being pleasantly surprised.

• Chillicothe says:

It is a rarity ain’t it? And it isn’t out of fear, but taste and respect (which is also getting rare…)

“i wish they would institute tag filtering for the “featured” page. i’m honestly sick of the deluge of anime games and “visual novels” flooding steam.”

You will take a healthy PC market and like it, mister.

• Zankman says:

Now that is damn apt: It’s not out of fear, it’s not to appease some current trends (SJWs and overly PC environment) – it’s just what they wanted to do, how they envisioned it… How they envision women.

As you said: It’s taste and respect.

Indeed, these are becoming rarities…

7. natebud says:

I’m a little disappointed, the title made me think you guys were giving away Steam codes

Oakreef says:

this is literally random words pulled out of a hat

• KDR_11k says:

I think at some point the subtitles were supposed to abbreviate to AC for arcade (as the game was released as an arcade machine some years back) and they bolted more on for each revision.

9. Bobtree says:

This is reputedly a cult classic, but I’m more interested in UNIEL which is coming to Steam soonish.

Friday Night Fisticuffs did a Melty Blood episode: link to