What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

I don’t care what you’re actually doing this weekend. You’re playing video games, and you’ll ruddy well tell us all about it, won’t you? Won’t you? You will if you know what’s good for you. Yes you will.

Adam: I’m playing Diablo III. Weird, huh? One of my friends asked if I wanted to reinstall so we could play together and I realised that’s exactly what I wanted to do. Say what you will about the way the game was at launch, Blizzard have done some great work on it since then. I haven’t finished the expansion so that’s what I’m going to do. You can’t stop me.
Alec: [Those who ask may never return.]
Alice: With Dark Souls III out, I can finally… return to Deadly Premonition? York taught me never to ignore signs, and Deadly Premonition has been popping into my head enough lately that it can’t be coincidence. There’s something waiting for me in that town, I feel it. Or I might blow it all off and hop on a train to Loch Lomond for a nice cold swim.
Graham: [Those who return may never speak of it.]
John: [But mostly they never return.]
Philippa: This weekend I will probably be playing a bit of League of Legends – I’m trying to increase my hero pool so I’m pootling about in bot matches when I have a few minutes spare. I’ll also be periodically returning to Stephen’s Sausage Roll, probably making progress in fits and starts unless I manage to get through it all on Friday afternoon.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Bowak says:

It’s mainly boardgames this weekend – played my first couple of rounds of Deathwatch Overkill last night and they were both very close and tense. It’s good, but so much more painting to do. Today will be more Deathwatch, some Star Realms and maybe a bit of Hero Quest.

Finally, I’ll have to fit in some Witcher 3 as I’ve finally started on the Skellige quests and I’d forgotten how brilliant it is. Though, it’ll be hard to resist playing the campaign on Battlefleet Gothic Armada too.

• Rue says:

Factorio. There is only Factorio.

• SomeDuder says:

All life begins with Factorio and ends with Factorio. So sayeth the great Long-handed Inserter in the sky. May its reach touch us all.

• jimjim19681968 says:

I’ve been playing Star Realms too, the physical game.

• Bowak says:

It’s brilliant isn’t it. We’ve been trying out the Colony Wars expansion this weekend to get a feel for the new cards and we’re going to try a mixed game soon with both decks combined.

We’ve also got the electronic version with the Gambits expansion for PC. The various combinations are probably my most played game of the last year.

2. LearningToSmile says:

All the talk about Quantum Break made me decide it’s finally time to try Alan Wake.

For some reason I’ve never read a real review of it, only vague references in other articles, so I’m not exactly sure what I’m in for, but hey, that’s part of the appeal.

• Zekiel says:

My (non-spoilery) advice is to cast your expectations nice and low and it’s quite enjoyable. Apart from the last chapter which is just a bit annoying. But then the two DLC chapters that actually finish the story are quite good.

• LearningToSmile says:

I got a couple hours in, and I’m enjoying it a lot. Though I’m definitely more fond of the story, themes, and setting, and much less that actual running in the dark and shining my flashlight at baddies gameplay part.

• Nekomitech says:

I really enjoyed the first Alan Wake, I churned through it in the post-Christmas pre-back-to-work period a few years ago. I never got into the second one so much though, and I’m not sure why, the story just seem as fun.

• RobinOttens says:

Are you talking about Max Payne or was there secretly a second Alan Wake game I never heard about? D:

• FuzzyMcFluffens says:

Alan Wake’s American Nightmare is the sequel to Alan Wake.
          The game isnt nearly as big as the first though, and is more of an expansion.

• SomeDuder says:

It’s almost a completely different game. In the first, you’re hurting for supplies almost constantly and I remember that the beginning was especially brutal. American Nightmare is more of an action game, with big explosions and plenty of shootybang. But I guess that’s sort of the theme. You have to be prepared for it though.

• Unsheep says:

It’s a great game despite some punishing and clunky mechanics.
      Definitely one of the most atmospheric horror/thriller games.
      For me it shares the same prestige as Resident Evil 4.

• crowleyhammer says:

I had a torrid time of it i this game dying all the time against annoying enemies and bastard bosses, soundtrack was good though.

Turns out id played it on the highest difficulty all the way through by mistake. Dont do that, this is not a game improved by bastard hard combat, it completely broke any desire to explore for me and there are some really interesting things to find.

• malkav11 says:

Annoyingly, they reserve some of the novel fragments for the hardest difficulty. As I agree with you that the combat doesn’t hold up if you make it that hard, I feel like holding story beats hostage is kind of a dick move.

• ndc83 says:

I actually just finished the game yesterday. It was a bit slow for me, good game, but I probably wouldn’t play it again.

Grizzly says:

As usual, I’m juggling a few things: I’m driving around GT cars in RaceRoom Racing Experience at Monza because a bunch of rich guys with fast cars are either doing that or letting other people do that for them this Sunday.

The Visigothic Campaign I am doing in Total War Atilla is going reasonably well, as I have secured a neat foothold in most of Spain and southern France (eg, I now own all the good camping spots). Unfortunately, the titular warlord is now in charge of the huns and is laying siege to my Ostrogothic allies in Ravenna, and a few of his armies have entered France. It won’t be long now untill it comes to blows with the Huns, and they are extremely powerfull and burn everything that comes in their path. I must make peace with the enemies to my south and re-focus my armies so that they are better equipped to fight a foe that fights mostly from horseback, which will be difficult.

Finally, I am exploring the Wargame: Red Dragon multiplayer side and I must say that in one-on-one ranked battles… I suck horribly at the moment. I’ve only managed to score one win so far, whilst in the friendly scrims I have been doing everything seemed to go decently well.

DrollRemark says:

I think I might be the only person left alive who hasn’t played Rocket League yet, so I might as well give the free weekend a try.

caff says:

I too shall be partaking of Rocket League. I have played nearly 500 hours of it. That is a lot isn’t it. I’m not addicted. They told me I could stop any time.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Uh-huh, then what are those Hot Wheels cars and a bouncy ball doing in your pocket, hmmmmmmmmm?

particlese says:

I had the same thought for myself, given my rising enjoyment of multiplayer things over the past year. I was also mildly enthused by the basketball mode announcement, although that’s not yet available, if I understand correctly.

5. gunny1993 says:

Just got a steam controller (awesome bit of kit btw, much better than any other i’ve used) and have been playing the shit out of rocket league, even though I bought the controller with dark souls, cos, as it turns out, i still suck at dark souls.

6. crowleyhammer says:

Playing the division with my mrs and learning to play Distant Worlds, no football this weekend either so thats handy.

Edski says:

Currently having a brief sojourn in the happy home, so no PC gaming for me. I’ve acquired one of these 3DS machines, but so far have only been playing SNES Zelda on it. Suggestions as to titles worth trying on said machine would be most welcome!

• LennyLeonardUK says:

Fire Emblem Awakening
      Zelda A Link Between Worlds
      Super Mario 3D World
      Luigi’s Mansion 2
      Pokémon X or Y
      Zero Escape Virtues Last Reward
      Etrian Odyssey IV

• gunny1993 says:

I hear bravely default is good also

Edski says:

Ta! A Link between worlds looks like the ticket. I’m really enjoying A link to the past, so more of same with shiny newness sounds good =)

• fish99 says:

Ocarina of Time also.

• welverin says:

Majora’s Mask

Hell, you can play pretty much every Zelda on a 3DS through the virtual console, backwards compatibility and ports.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Do NOT get Triforce Heroes unless you have two (and only two) friends you can play with. I bought this for my nephew at Christmas so we could play together and didn’t realize you had to play with 3 people. The game has already turned into the usual online co-op shit fest.

• welverin says:

O.k., let’s just restrict my comment to real Zelda games.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

What others have mentioned plus:
      Steamworld Heist (side-scrolling XCOM)
      Smash Bros.
      NES Remix (fun in short bursts)

• Loimographia says:

I’m so surprised Steamworld Heist hasn’t gotten much love — I found it loads of fun, but originally only bought it because the soundtrack is by one of my favorite bands, not because of any marketing.

For 3DS games recommendations I also second the Bravely Default suggestion and add the Rune Factory games.

8. monkeytommo says:

My buddy is coming over this weekend to try my HTC Vive. I’ve been having a lot of fun in it, and my standout experiences so far have been Budget Cuts and Audio Shield. Love a bit of Space Pirate Trainer and Holopoint as well. Really looking forward to seeing someone else’s reactions to some of the ‘experiences’.

9. airtekh says:

Dark Souls 3.

Or I would be if a boss hadn’t halted my progress, and I can’t get any help for it because the summoning/invasion online mechanics are knackered.

Sort it out FromSoft. :(

10. LennyLeonardUK says:

Probably a third weekend in a row dedicated to Divinity: Original Sin for me. I’ll probably throw a little Dark Souls 3 in as well (I haven’t played it nearly enough since release, only about 7 hours I think) and I’m also considering a new Attila: Total War campaign to get me in the mood for Warhammer’s release in just over a months time.

Oh, and also some Assetto Corsa if I can find the time, as I just bought the DLC packs a couple of weeks ago and haven’t even managed to get on them yet!!!.

11. Darth Gangrel says:

My almost 5-year-old laptop decided to return to factory settings (the My Documents folder is empty, for instance), but all of my files are still accessible if I just search for them, so I’m in the process of copying all of them (337 GB) to an external drive until I get a new computer (one which can run The Witcher 3).

After that I might do some gaming, I just installed Borderlands 1 and the 2013 Shadow Warrior version.

12. GameCat says:

Rocket League and then some more Rocket League.

caff says:

Maybe mix it up a bit by taking a 5 minute break, then play some more Rocket League?

• GameCat says:

5 minutes break? Are you crazy? You could play the whole match in this time!

13. yogibbear says:

Dark Souls 3. Just beat Pontiff. Now into some area where I got invaded by 2 red phantoms and getting chased through the whole map by some giants and fire spewing mages. :/

caff says:

I installed Cardinal Quest 2 last weekend. Very nice & fairly easy roguelike which I would recommend to newcomers who are a bit scared of stuff like Adom and even Brogue. So I might play a bit more of that. But it REALLY ANNOYS ME YOU CAN’T MOVE DIAGONALLY. I don’t know why I have this particular hang up with roguelikes.

Another one I might keep playing is Kingdom. It’s recently been patched to v1.2 or something but I hadn’t played it before this patch so I’ve no idea if it’s any better or not. It’s mechanics become fairly transparent after a few attempts, and it seems that decisions early on could have a strong bearing on whether you’ll do well or not. But it has a certain character that keeps me coming back.

And finally, to my shame I couldn’t resist trying the new Hitman out, so I’ve bought the intro pack thing just to have a look.

15. Jerppa says:

Why is John called “Bo’ Rai Cho” in Mortal Kombat X?

The Almighty Moo says:

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger for me, on the recommendations of this here very site. A bit of hell diving when the rest of the squad is free as well, but most of my weekend is taking up with things-i-do-not-want-but-have-to-do. Twas ever thus.

Herzog says:

Stacking – currently on the train. Rushing through the game as I don’t look for alternative puzzle solutions and one of the solutions is always very very easy. Charming game though.

Spelunky – had some promising runs, but still did not made it to the city of gold.

Pinball FX2 – trying to get a good score on the Epic Quest table. Also waiting for the Aliens tables to unlock.

Herzog says:

Boom! After 60 hours reached the City of Gold! Even managed to grab the necronomicon but died shortly after due to Anubis II. Well, onto another 60 hours till I beat Hell!

18. Zekiel says:

Pillars of Eternity for my second playthrough. So far (8 hours in) I’m enjoying it as much the first time, which is to say: a lot.

19. Unsheep says:

RaceRoom added a ‘GTO Pack’ with three classic cars, that Mustang is quite the challenge. Got some more tracks as well, so that will be most of my weekend gaming time.

Plus there’s MotoGP on TV this weekend, so that’s a given to watch.

In the evenings I’ll contiue with some Stasis, JULIA Among the Stars and Shardlight. I got an older game from the current GOG sale, Invictus In the Shadow of Olympus, might test it out as well.

20. stickypickle says:

I’ve been playing The Witcher! The first one! It’s great!! If a little janky at times. :)
    Also, hi! I’m new!

magogjack says:

hELLo !

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Welcome, stranger

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Heya! Hope you enjoy this little corner of the internet!

• stickypickle says:

Thanks, I saw a “Have you played…” article about some game or other, then came here and found that there were BUNCHES more. And the whole site is about PC gaming? Cool!!…Then I realized it was RPS, and I was like…oh…duh. Why have I not been here before?

caff says:

Welcome, fellow Horace worshipper.

• Durkonkell says:

Hello! Welcome and things.

It took me two years to finish the first Witcher game, but overall I actually liked it a lot. It’s… a bit wonky and I think it takes some effort to look past that and enjoy the experience. That it got made AT ALL – by effectively a local distributor with no experience of actually making games – is one of my favourite things.

• stickypickle says:

Oh yeah, the series definitely has a great history! I’m a huge fan of the books, and The Witcher 3 looks INCREDIBLE! So, I figured I should play it from the beginning, and I’m loving it so far!!

21. fish99 says:

I was playing Dark Souls 3 but it just wasn’t fun with the build I chose. I was past Dancer but still hadn’t seen a weapon with good DEX scaling, not katanas anyway (my Black Blade was +9, sharp imbued, and only a B), and there’s almost no damage bonus for 2-handing in that game (under 6%). Seems they ruined one of the best builds from DaS1+2. If some regular enemies can one shot you and you need to hit them 6-8 times, that ain’t fun.

I’ll give it another go at some point, after they fix the save stuttering.

Might start up Twilight Princess HD this weekend.

• Rizlar says:

Try the twin scimitars (think they’re called paired bandit scimitars or something?). With a sharp gem mine are A rated for dex at +5. Not entirely sure how dual-wielding works but it seems to be a lot more effective than 2 handing regular weapons and stunlocks the crap out of everything.

22. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Still Dark Souls NG+. Beat Manus last night, so have completed my personal mission of beating all the bosses. Just Duke’s Archives, Ash Lake and the final showdown to go and I’ll have seen all character arcs and the second ending. Ridiculous how much I’m enjoying it despite seeing these very things on YouTube vids. It’s just that sort of game, the joy is in the doing and that feeling of I DID THAT.

P.S. Fucking Manus!

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Also reading the copy of You Died that turned up yesterday. Will finish that this week and then park my DS obsession forever, I’m sure.

(Or pick up DS3)

• fish99 says:

On NG I was able to just sit there hitting Manus and out-heal his damage output (maybe I got lucky too). On NG+ though he was an absolute bitch, it took me 5+ hrs to beat him and I had to use the silver pendant to survive the dark attacks in his second phase.

Artorias is still my favourite DaS fight though.

Having seen the 2 story arcs I think I prefer the Kaathe one.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Yeah, I preferred Artorias but both great fights. I skipped the DLC on first playthrough like an idiot so only seeing it now but both of them weren’t too bad, both thanks to levelled up gear and stats and the fact I’d seen the fights in the crate and Crowbar let’s play so had an idea what to do. Would never have occurred to me about the pendant if I hadn’t seen it.

• simontifik says:

I’ve found I enjoy playing Dark Souls the same way. I read guides and watch vids. The fun for me is in trying to implement different strategies and builds that other people have come up with.

I just started playing DSII (still haven’t finished the first though) and I tried to ‘go in dark’. I couldn’t stand it! With limited gaming time these days I just don’t have the time to figure out the nuances of the game on my own. The game is hard enough for me even when I know what to expect.

23. Vacuity729 says:

I’m playing 80 Days *for work*! :D

I’m an English teacher in the far east and have managed to persuade everybody involved, including Inkle Studios, that I should use 80 Days as the reading text for an advanced class at my school. So I have to play it myself to make sure I have some clue what it’s all about.
    Granted I’m not getting paid for this “work”, and technically I’m working on my weekend, but still, I think I’ve managed to do something good here, and my students seem very happy about this so far.

• theapeofnaples says:

You are clearly going to be their favourite teacher ever.

SpiceTheCat says:

Brilliant idea :) My in-a-perfect-world version of 80 Days would compile all your choices and encounters into a narrative, so you could read the book you had travelled through at the end, and it sounds like that would be ideal in this situation.

• Vacuity729 says:

I’ve previously had them play Her Story and Hatoful Boyfriend in the class.
      Her Story worked extremely well as a small-group activity, Hatoful Boyfriend somewhat less so, as the committee-style approach to choices in the game led to a bad end. They did enjoy working with it though.

24. elderman says:

I’m playing Uru: Complete Chronicles. What a glorious mess. I know Myst games aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, but the ones made by Cyan really charm me. Uru is lovely and interesting and a bit boring. The controls are absurdly bad, but so far it’s worth it to explore this weird series of worlds. The linking book conceit taps into a space in my imagination that dates back to the early days of the web: it evokes the a sense of wonder, eccentricity, and limitless potential that I associate with 90s web rings.

Also hopefully playing some local multiplayer tonight: Towerfall, BANGBANGBANG, Sportsfriends, and Speedrunners if I can get it to run smoothly…

25. Det. Bullock says:

Wing Commander Saga (the FSopen fangame) and a few Capcom fighting games through Winkawaks (it does only CPS1/2 and Neo Geo but it’s much less fussy than MAME, I really wonder if Capcom will ever put some official emulated versions of these games on Steam or GOG.com) while waiting for my arcade stick, the weird thing is that between my Xbox360 pad and the keyboard I tend to prefer the keyboard, special moves are almost impossible to pull off but the keyboard arrows at least don’t feel rigid as the 360 D-pad and I can have the punchs and kicks on double rows like on my mega drive 6 button pad making simple combos easier.

26. plugav says:

I was going to play Sorcery! 1&2, but it refuses to start, so I guess it’s just Arkham Horror with my mates again this weekend. Gods, I hope this time it takes less than 8 hours to finish. The company’s pleasant enough, but by 5 a.m. we’re just wishing the damned Old One would wake up and consume the world already.

• supermini says:

I prefer Eldritch Horror to Arkham Horror. It’s about 2 hours for a full game… or less, if you lose quickly.

27. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Minecraft, recently started on a new community server.

Probably some other games as well. Medieval 2 and Heroes of the Storm, perhaps.

28. baozi says:

Finished Fez’s NG+ with some help of the Steam walkthrough.

Is there a console equivalent of RPS?

• welverin says:

Probably,though I really only check here and EGM for my game news.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I’ve always wondered this, not found one myself. Eurogamer, though totally different style has similar writers (sometimes the very same).

Maybe Kill Screen for something a bit more hipster.

• Unsheep says:

Eurogamer is probably the most console-friendly major media site. I think RPS and Eurogamer still have a partnership going on, that’s why you frequently see Eurogamer references on RPS.

Another option is to visit console specific sites, like PlayStation Universe, PlayStationLifestyle, ThisIsXbox etc.

Some sites have a somewhat even coverage of PC and console gaming, like Polygon and Destructoid. These might be worth checking up as well.

• Chris D says:

Cool Ghosts is practically an RPS spin-off site that also covers console stuff.

• Hobbes says:

Eurogamer, that’s probably your best bet. Avoid anything by Gawker or Vox Media like the plaaaaaeg.

• baozi says:

Thanks guys!

29. RedViv says:

Dark Souls 3.
    Getting back to it after a three day break, discovering that in the meantime I seem to have gotten a softban notice, but not the actual ban, and the only thing out of the ordinary I can remember is some player phantom dropping something.

Jekadu says:

Playing? I’m at PAX. Booya!

I did stand in line for two hours to try Pyre. Turns out it’s a fantasy sports game where you tour the world with your team. I was surprised, to say the least.

31. welverin says:

Probably just the same as last week some combination of Destiny and Arkham Knight.

• welverin says:

I forgot, i got access to the Mirror’s Edge Catlyst beta, so I need to give that a try.

Lars Westergren says:

Played the free beta of Masquerada in order to give feedback.

A dozen attempts to get the second achievement in the Witness. A couple of times I’ve almost taken the last step out of the labyrinth by the time the music stops. “Only” need to shave minutes off the earlier puzzles and solve two pillars left.

33. McGuit says:

More Dark Souls 3 for me…

34. Minglefingler says:

Dark Souls 3. I beat Wolnir yesterday and I’ve been running around Irithyll walloping and getting walloped by the knights that will punish the slightest mistake. I lost 15000 souls last night because I was holding down L1 to block whilst holding a bow, I need to remember to turn this game off when I’m tired.

35. Durkonkell says:

I am… between games. The state of my backlog is such that whenever this situation arises I become overwhelmed with POSSIBILITIES and usually end up playing nothing.

Maybe I’ll play some more Space Engineers. I’m midway through prototyping a ship that will probably never get finished.

john_silence says:

Same predicament here. At some point we’ll have to do a séance where we spread all of the icons for every game we own inside one folder, hold hands over the mouse and let fate decide what we should play next Ouija-style.

• welverin says:

In situations like this, you just needto force youself to play something.

36. Dunbine says:

Waiting for Stellaris. All gaming for the next two weeks is basically just treading water.

So, maybe some XCOM2 to pass the time?

• Zenicetus says:

Same here, trying to either finish or find a good stopping point in a few other games to clear the decks for Stellaris. So this weekend it’s XCOM2, and diving back into Kerbal Space Program now that it’s 64-bit. Both will be easy to put on hold for Stellaris.

I also have a second playthrough of Fallout 4 going, but I won’t spend much time on it. I don’t want to level my character too high before the upcoming new quest area DLC arrives.

zinzan says:

I’m playing entertain the bored kids, whilst trying to get work emails done, prep for 2 site inspections and a major disciplinary next week. Games wise I’ve done a couple of turns of Combat Mission; I’m dreaming of getting my XCOM: Enemy Within campaign a couple of missions further along.

38. zsd says:

Still slowly poking away at Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I’m taking a moratorium on buying Steam games until the end of May, so I’m in no rush.

It loads saves quite fast, even on my toaster, which is awesome because I do a lot of reloading and it would be excruciating otherwise.

39. Palimpsest says:

Out of interest – does RPS knowingly sell ads that fully block the page on my phone and can’t be closed?

• Imbecile says:

Yes! This is seriously pissing me off. I basically cant use rps on my phone

• Person of Interest says:

No, RPS doesn’t do that on purpose. I think the standard procedure is to email John with a description/screenshot so he can track down the offender and remove it from the ad pool.

• Llewyn says:

Graham is Managing Editor, and I think is the man who stomps on those with the greatest and most persistent enthusiasm. I’m sure John would be equally happy to stomp on it though.

gritz says:

You may not have noticed, but Graham has been MIA for the last month or so after saying something along the lines of “Now that I’m a dad I don’t have time for any of this stuff anymore”.

• bill says:

Alternatively, there’s a thread in the RPS section of the forums to complain about ads.
      link to rockpapershotgun.com

particlese says:

It’s the usual ESO and Devil Daggers for me again, with a possible incursion by Rocket League (never played it) and a near-certain bout of Ikea Furniture Assembly. Maybe I should warm up with a little Höme Improvisåtion first…

particlese says:

Change of plan: no furniture assembly; play video games to drown the trauma of learning to drive stick. Maybe Trackmania Turbo? I don’t feel like learning any more rules today.

But yeah…turns out I’m pretty okay at driving stick, including respectably smooth shifting (woo!) — with the exception of first gear, which is precisely when everyone and their mom is staring at you. x_x

41. malkav11 says:

Probably more Hex. Still trying to find a deck that doesn’t hit a brick wall on the second or third arena boss. I think the problem is probably partly that I never have all the equipment pieces that the people who designed the decks call for, and they make a pretty significant difference. But I’m reluctant to buy equipment because you can only ever use one copy of it and owning it certainly doesn’t stop it from dropping, so -if- I could consistently complete arena runs I’d be able to farm that equipment and many more. Or at least, a lot of it. Admittedly, some of it drops in chests from boosters or Wheels of Fate spins. (There’s also equipment specific to the campaign, but these deck guides mostly predate the launch of the campaign so I assume they’re not calling for any of that.) But that’s where the gold from the arena runs comes in…

Also could work on the Dishonored DLC campaign finally (one mission in so far and it’s very good), or push ahead on my Sith Sorcerer in SWTOR, or maybe even resubscribe to WoW in advance of Legion so that I miiiiight manage to finish one legendary item quest before it gets pulled back out of the game – 3-4 months would probably be a reasonable amount of time if I actually stick with it. And I’d like to finish up Undertale so I can maybe finally listen to Giant Bomb’s GOTY podcasts (they definitely talk spoilers, and it’s probably going to be one of the games brought up. I’d also in theory like to finish Witcher 3 before then for similar reasons but….yeah. It’s the Witcher 3.)

Risingson says:

Dracula:The Last Sanctuary. I’m finding it fantastic, despite many arguable design choices (arcade timed elements WHY)

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Dark Souls 3. Just got to Cathedrial Of The Deep. I am very slow at these games.

Managed to get stuck in a fog wall by having somebody invade while I was standing in a doorway! Good times.

Also, getting stuck into a animation while fighting the “human” enemies has got to be the most annoying thing in the game. How does this even work? You’ll roll away and then next thing you know you’ll be standing there unable to move while you get a giant swing in the chest from an attack you could easily defend.

• Geebs says:

If you mean what I think you mean, that’s a critical hit. It happens if they manage to break your guard – kicks will do it, as do parties some special attacks. Damage is the same as a backstab.

It’s annoying (especially as I’m horribly under-levelled for better SunBro-ing, so a critical is basically a one-hit kill), but the correct thing to do is to judge the distance and your relative attack speeds so that you can sidestep attacks and then try to stunlock them.

• Horg says:

Try rolling sideways instead of away from your target. You wont get back stabbed if they hit you, and you might get in position to counter back stab if they miss.

• Minglefingler says:

The Cathedral has one of the most unnerving and disgusting enemies I’ve ever encountered in a game.

Philopoemen says:

I’m house (well, cat- and dog-) sitting this weekend, so pickings are slim.

Thankfully work has left me entertained playing real world SWAT4 (breaching, but not much banging, and substantially more paperwork than the FPS…) and learn-to-use-the-new-bodycam-without-swearing-at-people puzzle game, which I’m failing so far.

To all the Aussies and Kiwis, happy Anzac Day long weekend – Lest We Forget. I’ll be marching on Monday for both services, don’t get too sloshed at the RSL.

45. Zenicetus says:

Oh, and I just noticed a big new update dropped for the Master of Orion early access. EA Phase 3 now has espionage, two more major factions, new minor factions, new economic victory and galactic stock market. New tactical battle stuff too. I’ll have to check it out this weekend.

It’s shaping up pretty well as a medium-weight space 4X (compared to what Stellaris will be, anyway). Still needs a lot of work, but I think it will find a niche.

46. Sarfas says:

I’m taking part in a clan league for a really old (12 years I think?) RTS / FPS / 3rd person action game called Savage XR – it’s probably easiest to view it as a precursor to games like Natural Selction – one player commands, asymmetrical tech trees and abilities for both teams, combination of shooting and melee . It’s a really tiny community and I’m something of a late comer – but it’s the only game that made competitive MP really click for me (besides Dominions 4, but that’s kind of a different kick) so hopefully it ends up being fun. There’s a remake / sequel called Savage Resurrection that’s in beta atm actually.

moms says:

Mirror’s Edge Catalyst. (closed beta)
    Well, that is, if I can remember my Origin sign-in…
    And if I can’t, then I will vent my rage upon the Nazi zombie pigs of Wolfenstein: the Old Blood.

48. notonfire says:

Fighting Xenos in Rodina with the new targeting reticle and altimeter. I’m now 50% less likely to crash into a planet while dodging missiles in 1st person pilot mode.

49. PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

The walking dead fer me, it’s just so well done..

gritz says:

Transistor, then tackling the amazing Humble Bundle (Dropsy, Titan’s Souls, Ronin)

john_silence says:

Ronin is demanding and can be tiresome if you go for more or less perfect runs, but it’s great ninja fun. I hope other people pick up on that incursion of turn-based mechanics in traditionally real-time games as it’s the best way to pull off seriously amazing moves without cheesing through the same scenario multiple times.

Cobalt seems great in this regard.

• Hobbes says:

I’m an advocate for Dropsy, but that’s because largely it’s a game where it challenges a lot of conventional thoughts, even if the mechanics themselves are dyed in the wool old school point and click (rub object A against everything to figure out if it works). That said, it’s a game where you’ll enjoy the ride, mostly because it has emotional weight, which is something a little bit rare these days.