Befriending The Fleshkraken: Death Trash

Death Trash [official site] is the distant relation to Fallout that went for a walk on the wild side of the Wasteland and never came back. Grungy, dirty, sexy and sweary, it’s an RPG that pushes pixels so hard that they become pukey fleshpiles and frien-seeking fleshkrakens. I’d only seen mini animated gifs and screenshots until now but the first extended footage of the game is below, showing combat, the map, inventory management, a shoot-out in a bar, and some dialogue with the afore-mentioned fleshkraken. It’s surprisingly sweet.

As the title says, this is an early prototype. Everything could change, from the dialogue to the size of those health bars to the cowardice of the patrons in the Puke Bar. Just because somebody starts firing shells into anything that moves, that’s no excuse to drop your drink and run. I expect Pukers to be made of sterner stuff – although it’s entirely possible that they planned the ambush just outside the front door, I guess.

There’s an extended version of this video that spends more time with each individual scene. The game isn’t due anytime soon (‘2017 or later’) but, damn, I do like looking at it.

From this site

Benratha says:

Well I guess my first comment might be – “what’s with the xbox controls?”. I’m sure mouse & keyboard should work…

• Niko says:

My PC too doesn’t have any ports and is incompatible with everything except keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

• talecrafter says:

Works great with mouse & keyboard too. And you can switch controls anytime. (I’m the developer of this game.)

• ProverbsofHell says:

Just wanted to say the game looks absolutely fantastic, it seems like you’ve really nailed the surreal/dread-filled atmosphere.

• talecrafter says:

Thank you very much. I’m not kidding when I say it’s all work in progress, but I’m already happy with the look and feel of the world.

• Samwise says:

I really like the look of your game and will be following it with some interest, please keep us updated.

As someone who is just beginning to teach themselves programming with the aim of being an indie developer I have a question if you have the time to answer it. Art and music are my thing but I am a total beginner programmer. Should I begin with a simple language such as GameMaker Language (GML) then learn something more complex such as C++ later or is that a waste of time and should I take the steeper but more direct route of learning C++ or C# to begin with? Opinion seems to be split on this.

I know you will be busy but if you can reply I would really appreciate the opinion of an expert. Thanks!

• talecrafter says:

First of all, I’m no expert. I think there are many people out there more knowledgeable than me. And second, it’s hard to answer because there are so many options out there. What works good comes often down to personal taste, situation and type of projects.
          GameMaker sounds like a great option because you will find much learning material about it, but I have no personal experience there.
          If you’re serious about learning programming, C# together with Unity would be great because you will find lots of learning material about the language itself from Microsoft and others and making all sorts of applications with it. You could start writing simple console applications purely focused on logic and structure, and when you need something visual for motivation, you take your C# knowledge to Unity.

• Samwise says:

Thank you very much for your reply, I will think about what you have said. I wish you good luck and lots of success with your game.

2. InternetBatman says:

This looks quite good, definitely very atmospheric. I hope there’s a wide variety of enemies in the finished product.

• talecrafter says:

There should be a lot more enemy types in the future once I settle down on animation workflow and focus on the combat part of the game.

Minsc_N_Boo says:

This looks really good. I love the graphical style, and the dialogue system is what I have come to expect from an Rpg.

How does the combat work? Are we taken to a side area (like a jrpg) , or does it all take place in the game world?

• talecrafter says:

The later parts of the video show the shooting combat (work in progress). It’s all realtime and it takes place in the game world. There will be no other screens etc. apart from the world map. Every NPC is attackable and even the dialogue happens in realtime, so it can be interrupted etc. Drop-in drop-out local co-op is also working already, and while this game will have a focus on singleplayer, the “drop in anytime” helps me in designing dynamic systems.

• bongi347 says:

The first thing that came to mind when i read “drop in/drop out multiplayer” is one of my friends coming into my world and wrecking up the place by shooting all the npcs around. While I love the freedom that comes with this idea, I was thinking it might be viable to make it so that the npcs would only shoot back at my friend instead of automatically grouping us two together. I think that would be a sweet way to handle it, as I would love to join the townsfolk in taking out the former friend/new outlaw. Just an idea to consider if you haven’t given this any thought already. The game looks amazing, by the way. I am very much looking forward to it.

• talecrafter says:

Thanks for the great feedback.
          The game is just local splitscreen for now (looking into online capabilities, of course) and I always assumed those playing were working towards the same goal. But you make an interesting point there. Would be great if the system would be able to handle those situations differently. Thanks.

4. GWOP says:

That flesh kraken is gorgeously animated.

5. a very affectionate parrot says:

Ah this, I found the dev’s tumblr a while ago and it looks promising. Glad RPS posted it as i’d forgotten the name and was just thinking about it a few days ago.

6. Tachanka says:

Looks fantastic, I’m excited about this game 2017 seems too far away, I want to play it now… BUT why have bouncing pixelated breasts on that character?

• talecrafter says:

Ah, sorry. Those animations are not the final ones. I’m still learning how to make animations and first I wanted to exaggerate a bit, have it more organic, because when I began everything was so stiff. I will rework them on the next iteration. … And I want to have something playable online this year, a demo etc. – Stephan

7. ashjxx says: