Sister Location Is Probably Five Nights At Freddy’s 5

Well, despite creator Scott Cawthon’s suggestion that Five Nights At Freddy’s 4 would be “the final chapter” of the juggernaut of jump scares, it seems things are going on. A new game is being teased on his website. The title, written across a robotic toy face, appears to be Sister Location, and that’s joined by the tagline, “There was never just one.” A spin-off? That’s the implication, certainly, unless this is simply FNAF5.

The first three FNAF games had you playing a security guard, using security cameras to help evade a grisly death at the hands of animatronic creatures that come to life at night. The fourth rather switched gears to feature a young kid being attacked by animatronic beasties in his own imagination/house/at the pizzeria. So what the title of the fifth refers to, this Sister Location, is a little mysterious. Although good money says there’s another FredBear’s out there, in another location, letting the whole nonsense start off again.

The success of the series is clearly well-earned, but something that’s entirely passed me by. To give some idea of the community that’s out there for this series, Cawthon has created a placeholder Twitter account that he’s never used, and that has 85,000 followers. He’s a popular guy. Warner are apparently developing a movie based on FNAF. Feeling old?

Cawthon was briefly slightly less popular after the disastrous release and subsequent unrelease of RPG spin-off, Five Nights At Freddy’s World. Identified as rushed, and not to the standard he wanted, Hawthon yoinked it back in January and got Steam to give everyone a refund. Then released it for free. So he’s presumably planning to take a bit more time with whatever Sister Location might be, hence the tease rather than sudden release.

The games previously came out at a tremendous pace, with all four of them in less than a year. However, with the distraction of FNAFW, it’s been nine months since 4 was released. What’s Cawthon doing?! Lazy bastard. Probably rolling around in piles of money rather than developing hit games faster than any other human alive. Point being, it seems unlikely there will be a long stretch of pre-release blarb – I imagine Sister Location will be scaring the young people by the Summer.

From this site

1. at says:

What do you mean “probably”, the teaser picture even says “Five Nights At Freddy’s 5” right above the Sister Location title.

• at says:

Actually now that I look at it better, the 5 I saw first was simply the S in “Freddy’s”

2. Neurotic says:

I *finally* succumbed and bought FNAF 1 in the last Steam sale. Played about ten boring, dull minutes of it, then got such a fright I almost soiled myself, then uninstalled it, satisfied that I had had the authentic FNAF experience.

3. Halk says:

“The success of the series is clearly well-earned”? Really? How?

I have to admit it makes me sad, actually.

“Feeling old?” Yes.

• Chiselphane says:

He made a series of games that a large number of people enjoyed and paid money for. Games that while may not be everyone’s cup of tea (definitely not mine, I was bored to tears playing the first one) have found a receptive audience and that Cawthon’s maintained the level of quality(again, whether you like the game or not, they do a great job of relaying what the author is trying to convey) over such a rapid fire release schedule is impressive in itself.

He was and continues to be successful, and good on him for doing so.

• Tacroy says:

Rym DeCoster has an excellent (but 30 minute long) YouTube video analyzing why FNAF works well as a horror game: link to m.youtube.com

Basically: it creates rules and rituals that keep you safe, and then adds exceptions to those rules and punishes you for performing the rituals.

• Zankman says:

Exactly… The hate towards FNAF is baffling to me – or, maybe it isn’t and is easily explained as hipster behavior and hating on youth because, apparently, we all have to become bitter and jaded when we reach, like, 24 years of age.

I despise horror and the mechanics of FNAF are not particularly engaging to me.

However, I respect what the game is (especially for its size, scope and budget) and I think that it has been executed very well.

Furthermore, the evolution from FNAF 1 through 2 and 3 and ending with 4 is quite interesting – adding game mechanics at first and then reducing them, boiling the game down to the essentials, accentuating the very core aspects of the gameplay and “optimizing” the experience, while innovating just enough.

Seriously: FNAF 1 has, what, 4-5 animatronics, right? FNAF 2 has, like, 8 or something – and then FNAF 3 has *1*.

IMO the creator definitely kept innovating and trying to do something new, not just do a “cash-grab”.

The fact that people are hating on this “cash-grab series” is just dumb indeed: The dev made a successful game *and* has means of iterating on the formula *and* it is very cheap and easy for him to do so.

Why would he NOT make more?

Finally, personally, I think that the story and the way it has been told is quite interesting; It may not be the best one yet, but, the “piece by piece” exposition caries it.

So, yeah. I’m annoyed with people complaining about the series just because it is popular.

I’m annoyed with people complaining about the series just because it is popular with kids, tweens and the people that make YouTube content for them…

The weird “expanded universe” fanbase that has sprung up around FNAF, akin to the weird “expanded universe” fanbase for Sonic of years past (that dominates places like DeviantArt)?

Not my cup of tea, but, I don’t see how it harms anyone…

4. whexican says:

Seeing as how the previous games dealt with a little boy, I’m guessing this implies there was a litte girl who was also victimized.