Mod The Commonwealth: Fallout 4 Creation Kit Beta

Fallout 4 [official site] just got a lot more interesting. The Creation Kit – which Bethesda say is “the same tool that we used to create Fallout 4” – is now available to download via the Bethesda.net launcher. The modding tools have now moved into open beta and you’ll need to follow some simple instructions to get them working via Steam. Once you’ve opted in, you’ll be able to browse and install mods from within the game.

The important thing to note from that video is that your precious mods, created on your PC, might sneak through Bethesda’s internet-tubes and find their way onto consoles. Imagine that! Turns out we’re all on the same internet after all.

The danger of easy-to-install mods, for me, is that I tend to throw so much crap into my game that there’s no consistency. Yeah, that guy is dressed as Doink the Clown and over there you might see a whack-a-mole hammer attached to a suit of power armour.

I’d rather create a curated experience using mods, adding only things that are either too brilliant to ignore or that are at least thematically appropriate. A darker, nastier Wasteland, maybe? Heck, if it’s possible to make a total conversion in which there are no other living people, just the ghouls and the beasties, I’d love to take that for a spin. Fallout 4 as survival horror.

It’s perhaps telling that I want mods to make Fallout 4 into something completely new. I haven’t played it since a couple of weeks after release but I’m reinstalling right now so that I can spend the next few weeks browsing peoples’ creations.

Oh, and those installation instructions are here, in case you didn’t bother to click the link earlier:

Right Click on Fallout 4 in your Library
Select Properties
Select Betas
A drop down menu will appear. Select beta
Wait a few minutes and Fallout 4 should update
When done, Fallout 4 should appear as Fallout 4 [Beta] in your Library

Enjoy.

From this site

1. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Getting slightly fed up with giving game companies my email address. Could they not give us access to mods without us having to unsubscribe from advertising emails?

(And yeah, I do have a sacrificial email for these purposes, but it’s kind of the principle of the thing.)

• Moonracer says:

I’d think you’d be more fed up with game companies requiring you to install their own launchers for this sort of thing.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Or the worst old days of separate accounts for every game with multiplayer. Thankfully that crap is mostly consolidated or automated through Steam nowadays.
        I still have a notepad somewhere with tons of rotted old account logins.

2. Doomsayer says:

It’s important to note, many of the more complicated mods won’t be hosted by Bethesda.net. ENBs and anything that requires the (fan made) script extender can’t be uploaded. (ex: hotkeys, increased followers, bigger settlements)

• Razumen says:

It’s possible that modders could still upload them, then give you an ingame message that you still need to DL such as such, and where to go. Not perfect, but doable.

• Solidstate89 says:

It’s not doable, because Bethesda.net is doing simultaneous hosting for mods available on consoles now too. The mod has to operate on PC and console to get on Bethesda.net so things like script extenders are right out.

It’s not a big deal though, just keep getting your mods through Nexus. This doesn’t change anything.

• Razumen says:

Where do they say that? I’ve seen nothing in the announcement that PC mods have to be compatible with consoles.

3. seroto9 says:

Will someone hurry up and make some daleks? I think they’d be a perfect addition, in the brief moment before the ‘cease and desist’ order from the BBC.

Topperfalkon says:

I think you’ll be alright. The BBC lawyers are probably busy watching what Ian Hislop says to be serving cease and desists.

4. Azrell says:

So basically Nexus or Steam Workshop. This game disappoint on so many levels.

• Nice Save says:

I doubt they’ll put in Workshop support if they want all the mods to go through bethesda.net. I’d call that a good thing though – if there was bethesda.net and the nexus AND the workshop, it would risk fragmenting the mod-makers further and make finding the best mods even more convoluted than it is now.

5. badmothergamer says:

I really thought this would be the thing that made me want to give FO4 another run, but I’m just as apathetic as I was two weeks after release. I figured I’d at least want to mess around in the GECK and see what’s changed but I think I’m over it. Maybe once all the DLC is released and the mod scene has had a year or so to pump out some great stuff I’ll want to try again.

About the only thing I’m interested in is seeing how Bethesda handled console modding, particularly in regards to mod conflicts and load order. I really hope this aspect is successful for the console crowd.

6. iinRez says:

So am I the only one who is a little concerned that they are charging console players for the new pieces that have been created by modders on the PC already. Are they paying the modders? Or just sourcing Ideas from them?

7. Akula says:

Is there changes to do with Nexus MM , beside update the one ?