Ghost In The Shell FPS Holds Open Weekend

Hi, hey there, it’s me, your big idiot pal who can’t resist anything labelled Ghost in the Shell cos cyberladies and robots and the future okay. You know, the sort of fool who’s quite excited to see that Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex – First Assault Online [official site] has started a free trial weekend on Steam – even though she heard it’s an unremarkable multiplayer FPS squandering its setting. Wakka wakka. Oh god, it’s downloading. Look at me, doing my clowny dance in my floppy shoes, boogly boo.

Until Sunday, May 1st, at 1pm PST/9pm BST, we can all download and play all of GITSSACFAO (amazing acronym) through Steam for free. Publishers Nexon are holding a load of special events this weekend too. Look, here’s where I turn you over to our resident Premature Evaluator, Rob Zacny, for a bit:

“There are moments when First Assault almost gets it right. When everyone is firing-off their powers at once, and you have a giant spider-tank getting blasted by turrets and a guy with a rocket-launcher for an arm, while it paints a targeting reticle on the battlefield before launching a guided missile, and meanwhile you’re getting bum-rushed by a trio of invisible commandos, First Assault feels kind of glorious. I loved the ‘oh shit’ moment of being stacked-up outside a doorway with a group of elite cyborgs, only to see a seeker drone come spider-walking toward us, causing everyone to scatter before it locked onto its target and suicide-bombed it.

“But most of the time, it’s feathering the trigger on an M4 carbine at someone halfway across the map, or rounding a corner and coming face to face with another player and just jamming SMGs into each other’s faces and hoping for the best. Same as a million other games.”

Those moments he speaks of are why I’m downloading it now (almost done!). I want to see cool cyborgs do something cool. Just a touch of that and I’ll be content. Please.

GITSSACFAO will be free-to-play when it properly launches later this year, but before then it’s been on Steam Early Access charging at least £3.99/4,99€/$4.99 to get in early. The entry-level pack, and higher tiers of in-game items and currency and bits, are on sale right now too.

From this site

1. Don Reba says:

I adore GITS, I think 2nd Gig is the best anime of all time, and the second chant scene in the first movie is the most touching in all of cinema, but I am not going to download this.

• Wormerine says:

I personally didn’t like 2nd GiG that much but to be honest I did get lost in the plot. Should give it another short.

Still the 95 movie adaptation is still my fav.

2. XxBrentos9xX says:

Couldn’t hurt to lose an hour I suppose, although from what I’ve seen, it’s not going to have any legitimate draw other than using a base of a popular anime.

3. Wormerine says:

I can’t blame you. Probably if I wouldn’t be so busy this weekend I would give it a shot as well, even though Free-to-play multiplayer shooter is not where I want to see the licence applied.

I will probably stick to Satelite Reign and customizing my units after the cast of GitS.

Also Hollywood remake will suck.

4. LionsPhil says:

Games shouldn’t need admin priviledges to run, Nexon.

• TormDK says:

Agreed, however this title seems to be an old DX9 creation, that would run well on Windows XP.

Gameplay wise, this game plays very “clunky” to me. I’m not feeling the “I’m a badass cyborg spec-ops” vibe at all. Maps feels very small as well.

PhoenixTank says:

For what it is worth, they changed up the gunplay a lot at the end of March, for assault rifles at least. Less spray and pray, and more reward for controlled fire. Might make the quote from Rob less relevant (the link is broken, btw!)
    Either way, I know I curse at the game a whole lot less than I did before.
    I enjoy it on and off, but I also didn’t pay for the privilege of playing it, so keep that in mind. If you do like GiTS, and shooting things, it might scratch an itch.

6. GeneJacket says:

I’ve been playing it regularly since the first beta, and while it’s certainly nothing remarkable, it is a solid FPS. I, too, am a sucker for anything GitS related, so I was signed up the second it was announced. I wouldn’t say it’s a total waste of the IP, but an online-only mp shooter isn’t exactly what I think of when I imagine the perfect GitS game, but it’s fun for what it is and does a few neat things to make it stand out. Unfortunately, nothing will ever beat the PS2 Stand Alone Complex game, even with it’s baffling control scheme.

Benratha says:

Just as long as we don’t need to play it naked….

phuzz says:

I’m willing to tolerate a lot for Tachikomas.