Oh Good, The Leprechaun Films Are On Steam

Good news, everyone: the entire back catalogue of Leprechaun movies is now available on Steam – including Leprechaun 4: Lost In Space. Truly, this is the best of all possible worlds. The first one’s even got a young Jennifer Aniston in, and she went on to make an infinite number of romantic comedies whose posters depicted her leaning against her handsome co-star, so you know it must be good.

Better (or not) news than that if you’re American: Valve getting into bed with Lionsgate means you can also rent or buy stuff like the Hunger Games, Twilight and Dredd films via Steam. But not if you’re in the UK. It’s rubber-faced Leprechauns all the way for you, sunshine.

I have no great desire to watch a Hunger Game or a dead-eyed R-Patz offering, but it is depressing to see that even the mighty Valve are as beholden to archaic and pointless regional licensing limitations as Netflix and everyone else. The UK catalogue has a handful of things in addition to four Leprechaun films, but I suspect the rental market for Deck The Halls or Blue Mountain State: The Rise of Thadland is going to be… limited.

The US, meanwhile, has over a hundred films (some listings for which you can see via the magic of Google caching), including Actual Good Ones such as Escape From New York, American Psycho, Dredd and Reservoir Dogs. Shame, shame.

I remain mildly confused by Steam’s movie-flogging plan, I must confess. There’s a visible lack of a solid gold reason to buy your movies on this rather than via a service such as iTunes, Google Play or Amazon, which at least allows you to watch your fillum on a mobile device or TV box too. I guess these things – if you like in a place which can buy/rent them – can be watched via Steam’s VRtastic Desktop Theater mode, so maybe it’s all part of elaborate groundwork for an increasingly unlikely goggle-based future. But really, my vote’s just going for ‘because it’s something else to sell.’

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Oakreef says:

A true milestone for Steam

Flavour Beans says:

Whenever I click towards it, I’m shocked by the number of low-budget movies that Devolver distributes through Steam in addition to all the games that it publishes.

cpt_freakout says:

So this is what Valve has been after all along – Steam officially closed with a bang, I must say.

4. Jalan says:

I think ~90% of these Lionsgate releases are purely “rental” only. Strangely, the only films with the option to buy (or maybe they’re just a glorified rental as well) is the “set” of four Leprechaun films.

5. ChainsawHands says:

This is a shockingly poorly researched story. The available Leprechaun films don’t include either Leprechaun in the Hood (which has Ice-T in it) or Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood (which doesn’t), to say nothing of 2014’s Hornswoggle-starring reboot, Leprechaun Origins. “Entire back catalogue”? I think not!

6. karnak says:

Where’s me gold?!

7. Williz says:

But there are 7 Lep films, I think my favourite is the one set in the hood.

8. Razgovory says:

I told a friend of mine just the other day, “You know what Steam needs? More B-movie horror movies with Warwick Davis”. I’m glad they solved this looming problem.

• mattevansc3 says:

Wash your mouth out with soap. The Horror B Movie is a well respected movie genre.

hemmer says:

“…rather than via a service such as iTunes, Google Play or Amazon, which at least allows you to watch your fillum on a mobile device or TV box too.”

^ I don’t know about mobile devices, but why would I not be able to watch a Steam movie on my TV? What with them promoting big picture mode and all. Even before that you could just hook up your TV to some computing box thing.

Not that I’d recommend buying or renting movies off Steam to anyone, mind. Just splitting hairs, as I like to do.

• mattevansc3 says:

Depends on your definition of “TV box”. Quite a few people would class that as the Sky/Virgin box, the Chromecast and Firestick or even a console. You’ve also got Smart and Android TVs that have access to this via the TV itself.

hemmer says:

That’s a fair point, especially as I haven’t used my TV for anything else as a big second PC screen on the other side of the room.

Really doesn’t seem like it’d be a fulfilling job to keep your platform compatible with all those possible permutations though. :x

• baseless_drivel says:

Hood 1+2 are actually available, although they’re not included in the bundle.

10. Turkey says:

More katanas for Gaben!

11. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Dredd is so very good.

• Jalan says:

It definitely got undue critical jabs when it was released.

That said, it’d be more sensible to just buy it on Blu-Ray since it can’t be much more than what the temporary rental fee Steam is charging in most territories.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Yes, absolutely. I wasn’t advocating using Steam for this nonsense, just pointing out how much I enjoyed the film. Thanks for clarifying. Also, I picked it up for under $4 the other day, so it really isn’t expensive.

• Jalan says:

That’s the one upside to otherwise fine films getting swept under the rug by critics – the home media releases tend to get cheap fairly quick.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

They should also sell that CD-ROM from Leprechaun 3 that explains what to do when attacked by various mythical beings.

13. foszae says:

More than ever, this is the time it would be nice to be able to block certain tags from ever being suggested to us. I would be more than happy to filter out all ‘movies’ from my list, as well as all ‘retro’ ‘horror’ ‘puzzle’ ‘platformers’. Frankly i could live another generation without seeing ‘VR’ either.

I may have days with absolutely no suggestions then, but i’d be content to not have to filter through all the detritus.

14. Author X says:

Another (apparently) American privilege: actual anime in the Steam Anime Sale, thanks to an array of Naruto movies.

I mean, nobody said it was good anime.

moms says:

Hmmm.. just wondering now, are these movies actually ‘curated’ by the gang at Steam, or just scooped up outa random bargain bins?
    And, if there was some thought put into these selections, were they picked because they’ve got a certain ‘gamer’s mentality,’ or something, about them?
    I mean, do you think we’ll ever see movies like ‘Amadeus’ or ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ or ‘Steel Magnolias’ make the Steam stream?
    Yeah, me either.

Oh, and FYI, unless you have a real jones goin, The El Rey Network [http://www.elreynetwork.com/]runs a Leprechaun 1 – 3 marathon every St. Patrick’s day.