Street Fighter V Flies In Guile, Rage Quit Punishment

X-COM cosplayer Guile arrived in Street Fighter V [official site] last night with the promised April update for Capcom’s fighting game. He’s leaping, he’s kicking, he’s flinging wind, he’s yelling his support for Sonic Boom as if it’s not the worst Sonic game in years. Guile is accompanied by a new stage, the Air Force base where he and his buddies hang around sitting on crates with a boombox. And hey, because Capcom still haven’t added the real-money microtransaction store, Guile is free to play with until they do. Oh, and rage quit punishment is finally in.

For now, Guile is free for everyone, like Alex is too. Once the real-money store is in, players will be need to pay either real money the the fake Fight Money earned by playing to keep him. His stage will cost you 70,000 Fight Money, though. Guile may be the big star of April’s update, but Capcom explain it has other meaty bits too:

“Also included in this Street Fighter V update is the first implementation of a system to punish players who frequently disconnect during matches (aka ‘rage quitters’). The system will continue to be refined over time and more enhancements will be implemented in the future. Additionally, a number of improvements to the matchmaking system have been made, which speeds up the time it takes to find an opponent and simplifies the process of creating and connecting to Battle Lounges.”

The patch notes also detail a number of fixes for individual characters’ hitboxes and moves and things, if you want to get technical. Which character now has a crouching state for the first three frames of their C. LP? Whose C. MK now has a throw box? You’ll never know if you don’t read ’em!

Hey, look, here’s Guile with the biff-bangs on his stage:

From this site

1. Don Reba says:

I thought they added punishment for guile, as well as rage-quitting.

2. Synesthesia says:

So, i’ve picked up street fighter V. It’s my first fighting game EVER, so i’m completely terrible at it, and still haven’t won a single match online.

Are there any other RPSers who would like to spar scrubbily with me to get the basics down? A noob club of sorts?

• Det. Bullock says:

Speaking as another fighting game scrub, I think it was probably better to get a title with a meatier single player.
      For the little I can see fighting games are a lot like old school FPSes: single player doable however difficult, online full of monsters with superhuman reflexes and a keen strategic mind that works ten times faster than that of a normal human being.

• Chillicothe says:

And it wasn’t even connected to the quoted post. Infiltration don’t even put in that much work getting good!

Anywho, the RQ solution is weak. Put RQs in with other RQs in RQ jail where they can bail on each other till they learn manners to take their beatdowns like (wo)men.

• HP_Craftwerk says:

I’m horrible too, I’ll play with you. Can do a Battle Lounge and mess around with the Basics.

Sunjumper says:

I am a player of medium ability. (That means better than a beginner and good enough to know why the people who really can play the game destroy me with shocking regularity.)

If you need someone to teach you the basics tips of Street Fighter go ahead and friend me on Steam (Sunjumper) and I will see what I can do.

• animlboogy says:

I added you. I have a small group of mostly scrubs playing this, except for one guy who dominates us all. We have a teamspeak.

• SpinalJack says:

You should listen to one-time RPS contributor Quinn’s podcast on learning Street Fighter link to coolghosts.net

Sunjumper says:

I opened a Discord channel for all of us who want to have a place to hang around and organise some friendly matches.

If you are interested feel free to join!

link to discord.gg

With that channel open, we can meet each other, discuss techniques and get into some fisticuff without needing one particular person to be present.

Sunjumper says:

And now we have our own forum thread!

link to rockpapershotgun.com

3. slugnasty says:

“X-COM cosplayer Guile”? Pretty sure it was the other way around, Julian Gollop admitted it too.

• DrollRemark says:

But SFV only came out two months ago. How could XCOM possibly have copied it?

• Pich says:

Yeah, he’s a JoJo cosplayer, like Rose and Juri.

4. Schledorn says:

Wait, this stuff is free until they build the store and then you’ll have to pay to use Guile? Is that really a good business decision?

• laggerific says:

• PikaBot says:

Well, you’ll be able to pay for characters through Fight Money, the in-game currency, as well as by simply paying for it.