Total Warhammer Chaos Faction Free For First Week Post-Release

News reaches us that Total War: Warhammer’s [official site] Chaos faction will be available for free during the first week post-launch. Previously, the faction were only offered for free to those who pre-ordered, a policy which we grumbled about. Now you’ll at least be able to read reviews and reactions before making a decision to spend your hard-earned without missing out on the free faction offer. There’s more footage of Chaos in action below, featuring the biggest hammer I’ve ever seen.

The Creative Assembly’s Creative Director (the most creative of men) Mike Simpson explains:

“The Chaos Warriors have proven to be hugely popular and, by extending the deadline for getting them for free by a week, we can ensure loyal fans who don’t feel like pre-ordering don’t miss out, while still rewarding early adopters whose support is really valuable to us.”

The free offer will be honoured by all retailers supporting the current pre-order deal, and will run through to 6pm (BST) on May 31st. Good news.

And then there’s this.

My Warhammer Fantasy knowledge is clearly lacking because my reaction to seeing Kholek Suneater, the Chaos Legendary Lord in the video below, simply involved an exclamation of “what is this big bastard?”

The answer, for those not in the know, is here:

A giant Dragon Ogre who is believed to be the second oldest Dragon Ogre. He is consider a god by some and was once frozen in an ice glacier by Teclis but he was freed. It is known that during the Great war of Chaos, he was in Kul’s army and was the one who destroyed Kislev’s wall at the battle of Kislev’s Gates.

I never really think about the name ‘Warhammer’ but it’s a reference to that monstrous big thing Kholek’s waving around, right? That is the warriest hammer I’ve ever seen.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. DarkLiberator says:

The hammer looks bigger then the fellow holding it.

2. padger says:

3. lagiacrux says:

extending the preorder bonus for a week after release is a good move. now i dont really have any problems picking up the game (after reading review ofc).

magogjack says:

Looks like they are expecting to release a working game !!!

• Maxheadroom says:

Yeah they potentially won me back with this move, based on the reviews of course

• Phinor says:

Worth noting that this still applies only to selected retailers so chances are your store of choice won’t have the DLC. That was always my issue with this and it continues to be an issue. Should have added the DLC to everyone, not just to those who order from specific stores.

• lagiacrux says:

hmm … havent even thought about that. i guess the online retailers (steam, gog, etc) will include it?

• DragonOfTime says:

The game seemingly requiring Steam, makes it unlikely to appear on GOG. They sell it on Humble themselves though.

4. Dillinger says:

It looks good, but I’m still wincing from the sucker shame I have for buying Rome Total Two War, or Total Rome Too War! or whatever the hell it was called. That was such a pile of crap that I’ll never buy anything in this series until they’ve patched the hell out of it.

5. lglethal says:

Is that an attack helicopter in the background????

• theblazeuk says:

That is a Dwarven Gyrocopter. I wonder if they’ll introduce the Dwarven Airship and its fire cannons… Warhammer! It’s so WAAAAAAGH.

6. JimboDeany says:

What about the folk who have pre-ordered then? Do they not gain anything now?

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Sure they do. People who get the game early but without pre-ordering simply get the same. It doesn’t magically detract from what the people who pre-order get.

• JimboDeany says:

You still get the same but you’re taking all the risk of pre-ordering and getting the same as if you didn’t…… I’m not a fan of pre-ordering but if you want to encourage it then surely this is a bad way to go about it?

• Cleave says:

Pre-ordering still means that you can pre-load and stare at server error messages for a couple of hours at launch before you finally give up and go to bed.

7. mgardner says:

I have been lukewarm about the Total War series over the years – they look like games I should love, but end up feeling flat for me (admittedly, I have only played from the first half of the catalog).

But this one? Could this be THE ONE? I get so excited watching the video, it feels so fresh and different from the “historical” entries in the series (and the fantasy setting is yanking really hard at the heartstrings of teenage me). I REALLY hope they are able to pull this one off!

In fact, I feel the urge to reinstall Shogun 2 and give it another chance.

• Reapy says:

I may be a bitter person… I was a total war fanboy from shogun -> empire and then I haven’t played any since empire. I got to play this one at PAX East and my reaction was MEHHH.

It still felt like a total war game, granted I didn’t know my units from what but ended up in that sort of half routing back and forth troops style gameplay that is just ‘total war’.

I LIKED the general hero unit being a badass and wrecking a bunch of troops, and I LIKED casting spells every now and then, but…

Well, it’s a total war game. It won’t feel different, at least in the fighting part of it. I dunno I want this one to be the one, but it might be that I’m just total warred out and can’t get jazzed for this.

• Cleave says:

I’m the same as you, I love the idea of Total War but I could never get into them. I’ve recently been playing a bunch of them and Shogun 2 was the one that really clicked with me so I’d say give it another shot.

8. Vacuity729 says:

As another of the “I can’t believe I pre-ordered Rome II”-crowd, I still haven’t purchased Attila, and I remain deeply sceptical of CA.

Nevertheless, they really are doing all the right things: pushing back the release date for extra review time (and one assumes, polish), releasing lots of videos showing actual campaign footage, extending the pre-order bonus to a post-release bonus.
    I won’t pre-order. But I am eyeing this with increasing interest (dare I say “enthusiasm”?).

9. kud13 says:

Pre-orderers still get to pre-load the game.

• kud13 says:

Gah, comment fail. Meant as response to JimboDeany

• JimboDeany says:

Great, thanks :)

Sadly work has contrived to take over my life from the 23rd to the 25th…..ah boo! AH BOO!!

10. sum tempestas fusca says:

Wow. How sad of a joke is it, when most of us Total War players are rather more interested in a free, third-party user MOD done by an unpaid (yet passionate!) group of Total War fans, than the actual “new” Total War game (that’s apparently aimed at 3-10 year olds)? What a sad reflection on the once-respected CA studios. It just shows how out-of-touch with their historic player-base the Creative Assembly management truly are. Not sure what they were thinking, but I mean c’mon… their awful free-to-play mobile-centric “Total War Battles: Kingdom” wasn’t exactly a strategic masterpiece, was it? Not exactly CA at their finest hour, was it dear reader? Anyone here remember when the old Total War engine was regarded as a legitimate historic training tool at Sandhurst Military Academy? Or what about Time Commanders? link to Anyone here remember that? So no thanks CA, you bizarrely continue to refuse to acknowledge the simple fact that the best overall “TW” you made to date remains to be Medieval II Total War Kingdoms (with the Stainless Steel mod). In every respected poll one cares to look at (reddit, etc), the majority of us want Medieval 3 and everybody knows this except you apparently? So dear reader, if you somehow missed the news, the Mod we’re looking forward to with somewhat tentative anticipation is ‘Medieval Kingdoms Total War (Attila Version)’, here: link to Sadly, it seems this is the closest we’re ever going to get to a “Medieval 3 Stainless Steel Mod”, since CA management steadfastly continue to refuse to make Medieval 3. What a sad, shameful display you have become, CA. Shamefur Dispray!

lasikbear says:

bad comment imo

• Cederic says:

While medieval and medieval 2 were good, Rome was the one with the most diversity and variety, an excellent map, a real challenge for global (well, sort of) conquest and just a great blend of fun, history, strategy and tactics.

The Rome2 design didn’t even try and deliver any of that, let alone the implementation. No CA, you’re not what you once were.

• Catsplosion says:

Is that why Total War: Warhammer has been at the top of steams top selling list for the last 2 weeks (at least!) beating DS3 for a week.

I’m not saying the past games haven’t had problems. They have. I’ve preordered simply because even with their mistakes I find the total war series one of a kind and enjoy playing it. This game looks like it may be their best yet.

If you’re worried about bugs and the problems that Rome II faced repeating themselves then withhold your purchase for a few days and wait for the reviews to roll in before purchasing. Luckily you wont be missing anything as they have been kind enough to give the chaos faction away for free the first week of play.

• Catsplosion says:

Time commanders was amazing. I had already played medieval and shogun before seeing that show but it helped cement my interest in history and gaming.

In regards to Medieval 3 you whiny pieces of shit have had an entire series based around real moments in history and think your complaints that they are making a fantasy game are worth any merit or response from CA?

Even though they will likely bring out Medieval III in the coming years. Shut the hell up. Nobody likes ungrateful, over-entitled consumers.

11. Spinkick says:

Honestly, this is the best type of game for them. Fantasy units that do not need to act historically accurate whatsoever. They had a hell of a time trying to get their previous games to work right, so now all they have to claim is that the behavior and balance is by design, not a bug!