Asemblance: First-Person Horror Announced

Besides being misspelled, Asemblance [official site] is an upcoming first-person psychological horror game from Nilo Studios – a newish crew of ex-Bungie, Monolith and Visceral bodies – that’s set to launch its first episode next month. As far as I can gather, its story is centered around a memory simulating machine that you’re trapped inside/forced to view the world through without immediately obvious reason. “What do you remember? Do you remember your home? Your wife? How you met?” it asks. “Are you sure you want to remember?”

Inevitably, you won’t want to remember – this is a horror game after all – but, inevitably, that’s exactly what you’ll be forced into doing. I imagine. Because this is a horror game, after all.

Inspired by television shows such as The Twilight Zone, The X-Files, and Black Mirror, and games such as PT and The Stanley Parable, Nilo note their desire to capture a narrative that keeps players guessing, one where “you’re never quite sure what’s real or what’s not”, via a post on the PlayStation Blog. (Yes, it is coming to PC too.) This announcement trailer offers a glimpse into what to expect:

Creepy. Beyond that, though, there’s not an inordinate amount to go on for the moment. “We’re just about done with development and are currently optimising the game, polishing the audio design, and adding the final touches to the game’s multi-layered narrative,” say Nilo, while the Asemblance website offers “May 2016” as the first episode’s ETA.

From this site

1. Pulstar says:

Walking PSVR simulator?

2. MrFinnishDude says:

I hope it will not be “You are forced to murder your family” kinda thing.
    Remember what the Doom did in the 90’s?
    Yeah, I have the feeling same kinda thing will arise from VR games who dare to cross that line.
    Just imagine the political shitshow that would ensue from those kinds of games. Maybe they’ll put an age rating on VR headsets themselves or something even worse.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Given the fact that these days people are losing their shit over absolutely anything in videogames no matter how insignificant or silly, I wouldn’t say it matters, the hyper offended will find something to complain about anyway.

• Jalan says:

People are losing their shit over anything – video games, television, films, viral videos on the internet and the list goes on.

3. Frog says:

I see the title as ” A semblance” like a outward appearance, not a misspelling.

• suibhne says:

“Assemblance” is an archaic variant of “semblance”. That said, “Asemblance” could easily be seen as a clever play on non-semblance while still evoking assemblance, i.e. semblance. It seems rather silly to complain that it’s misspelled, when it’s more likely to be the output of a literary studies major. Two thumbs up from me.

• Frog says:

Ooh, I missed reading the “a” as “non”. Neat. I like this more already. Seems there may be some good writers here.

• suibhne says:

Of course, what are the chances that the rest of project actually lives up to that speculation? ;)

• Frog says:

Fair enough, that kind of synergy between writers, artists, programmers, designers is rare. I’m not holding my breath.

Still, the title is intriguing, implies that at least a couple of members of the team have some education and brain cells to rub together and are allowed to express what they know. The pedigree of Bungie and Monolith is ok too I suppose.

A while back I looked around at what made Deus Ex such an enjoyable story for me and finally decided it was a indefinite synergy of people contributing to and organizing the project. I certainly couldn’t pin it on one or two individuals. Maybe we’ll see something here too.

• Marr says:

“Asemblance” is easier to Google.

4. LearningToSmile says:

I’d be excited for it if it wasn’t a horror game.

Same reason I never got into Soma.

• Marr says:

Soma has an official mod to turn it into not a horror game. Recommended.

5. April March says:

Hedging my bets: it’ll basically be To The Moon, only horror and AAA.

6. Stevostin says:

A bit hard on the eye after playing Ethan Carter.

7. zxcasdqwecat says: