Call Of Duty 4 Remaster Only Sold With Infinite Warfare

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, the prettied-up version of Infinity Ward’s seminal shooter Call of Duty 4, will indeed only be available as a bundle-in with some of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare‘s many premium editions. That’s what Activision say, at least. I am astonished. That can’t mean that, can they? They must have been so excited about Infinite Warfare’s spaceships and power armour that they forgot to add a little footnote with an asterisk saying “*exclusive for a limited time”. No? Sheesh. Weird!

MW Remastered is a fancy version of ye olde CoD 4, doing up the campaign and ten of its multiplayer maps with “next generation textures, physically based rendering, high-dynamic range lighting,” and other modern technobits. CoD 4 has a cracker of a campaign so sure, I’d like to play a revamped version.

“How can I get Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered?” Activision asked themselves in the Modern Warfare Remastered FAQ posted yesterday. “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered is only available through the Legacy, Legacy Pro, and Digital Deluxe editions of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare,” they told themselves.

I do note that they’re writing in the present tense. Fancy Editions are the only way one can currently buy it, yes, but maybe that wording does leave careful room for other options in the future.

If it seems I’m making a big deal of this, it’s because I’d increasingly like to see Activision splitting Call of Games up into their constituent parts. I like their big wacky campaigns with explosive set pieces, and I want to see Jeff Goldblum fighting zombies in co-op, but I’ve no interest in the core multiplayer. I’d certainly spend a lot more on CoD if could I pay only for the bits I wanted.

Anyway. A peek at Modern Warfare Remastered is at the end of Infinite Warfare’s announcement trailer:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Schledorn says:

They must not have a lot of faith in this new game.

2. w0bbl3r says:

Guess I won’t be playing the MW “remaster” then.
    It won’t be any good for MP, even though this was the best MP in the whole series. Because they will not have dedicated ranked servers, so the MP will be the same trash as all the other recent call of doody poop.
    Was looking forward to playing through the campaign again though with semi-modern graphics.
    Either torrent or nothing though if they don’t sell it separately, and at a decent price (max. £15 that is)

• GernauMorat says:

My thoughts exactly

• Carr0t says:

I await being disappointed, but the FAQ explicitly says they will have dedicated servers…

• Sulpher says:

Though I wonder if the “tick” rate for hit detection will be above 30hz. Battle Non-sense had some concerning data regarding Blops 3 netcode. And why was mouse sensitivity tied to frame-rate?

• CloneWarrior85 says:

While the FAQ says it will have dedicated servers, i’m willing to bet they will scrap it and keep crappy p2p MM.

I’m also laughing at how people can only get the remastered version by buying the bundle of the new crappy game. Shows how much faith they have on their product, and how much effort they’re placing on it.

• Razumen says:

It depends on what they mean by dedicated servers. I believe BO3 and other CoD titles use a combination of dedicated servers that *they* run, and then use P2P when the load gets too high. This will likely be the case here.

Whether they mean dedicated servers that anyone can setup, that’s a totally different matter.

3. milligna says:

I don’t see anything about the campaign being remastered, just the MP maps.

• Razumen says:

They specifically show remastered scenes from the SP portion in the trailer…

4. a very affectionate parrot says:

There I was thinking I was the only one that enjoys the ridiculous bombast of COD’s campaigns but doesn’t even touch the multiplayer aspect.
    I’m hoping MW remastered brings more than shiny graphics, like adding local co-op to the campaign, playing BLOPS3’s campaign with a friend was really fun.

The Almighty Moo says:

I second the call for local multi. Lack thereof is the only thing keeping me from picking up the original on PC. We can but dream however

5. nitric22 says:

Bummer indeed. Infinity Ward let me know when you want my $20 for the standalone remaster.

• GernauMorat says:

Around 6 months after release, I would say.

• JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Given that they’re still selling the original version for $20 on Steam, you might be waiting a while…

6. snowgim says:

I always get excited for HD remasters, but then I realise I don’t actually want them. If I want to play an old game, I would actually prefer to play it at the old resolution with old low-res textures. I don’t really want the shiny new ‘George Lucas’ised version.
    So I don’t really care about this. Well, assuming COD4 still runs on Win10 etc… I should probably check that.

7. Jabberslops says:

The “Remastered” edition likely even won’t have dedicated servers. Why is it so hard to just give Cod4 and WaW Steamworks? All we needed was the Steam server browsing and VAC to replace Punkbuster. I would have bought those games again just for that…

8. JoeX111 says:

Eurogamer’s article about this says the remaster WILL come with dedicated servers: link to eurogamer.net

Take from this what you will.

9. April March says:

I would also be far more likely to buy a CoD game if I could only buy the parts I want. Unfortunately, helping their costumers not spend more money than they’d like is anathema to Activision’s business model.

10. axiomatic says:

I could care less about Infinite Warfare. If I don’t get to play CoD4 remaster because of it… no biggy.

11. Universal Quitter says:

On the plus side, CoD4 is one of the last console (HERESY) games I ever purchased, so I can just go play it, right now.

I think I will.