Spookier Spooking: Sylvio Remastered Released

Sylvio [official site], the game our Adam has declared his favourite horror game of 2015, is now fancier thanks to its ‘Remastered’ version. It launched as a free update on Monday, and Sylvio’s on sale to celebrate this. There’s never been a better time to explore an abandoned park where something terrible happened, recording messages from beyond the grave on your ghost-busting microphone and uncovering them by manipulating tape reels. Annnd yep, thinking about ghost tapes just made me install it.

Here’s Wot Adam Thought of Sylvio’s original release:

“I almost walked away during the opening moments, when Sylvio seems like yet another cobbled together mess of repetitive graphical assets. I figured I’d play until the first jump scare and then quit. Instead, I found a game that uses its limited resources to find clever ways to scare the life out of me. It’s a quiet horror game – an anti-screamer, right down to the calm almost-whispers of the protagonist – and it’s a triumph.”

Now it’s fancier. Sylvio Remastered is rebuilt in Unity 5, a newer version of the engine, and now boasts improved graphics, full controller support, a new UI, and some gameplay tweaks.

After this, and a short break, creator Niklas Swanberg says he’ll get back to Sylvio 2. Last year’s Kickstarter for it fell through, but he’s continuing to make it with a little Patreon support on the side.

If you fancy a crack at Sylvio, a 50% discount brings it down to £4.99/6,49€/$6.49 on Steam until Monday. The DRM-free version on the Humble Store is still its usual price.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Scripten says:

Good to hear. I was a fan of the premise, but not so much the execution. I experienced some bugs that really got in the way of immersion. Nice to see it as a free upgrade for people like me.

caff says:

Sadly the remaster contains new, different bugs. On the hill after the wall you climb over at the start, my character clipped through the hill completely… I tried jumping onto the hill but the collision detection didn’t seem to work…

2. vorador says:

I just tried it and it looks like a completely different game.

By the way, the default controls on the remaster are quite unintuitive (accept with space, really?) and i can’t get the game to change resolution.

• vorador says:

An update came up and fixed my resolution problem so everything is good now.

3. Viral Frog says:

I’m about to the point where I’m not going to bother buying games until a year after they’re released. That way I can get the remastered definitive enhanced redux edition, instead of buying the not quite ready for release, but released anyway versions.

• Viral Frog says:

Not specifically a qualm with this developer, because this game does look fantastic. The remastered edition is also free to current owners. That’s completely fine with me.

I’m just tired of scrolling through news sites and seeing “X game which was released a year or less ago is being remastered.” Is the market really so saturated that people can’t come up with new ideas, so they have to redo their old ones?

• Bradamantium says:

At least it makes sense in this case, where the original version was clearly made on a low budget and released to solid critical and commercial success. This is in service of prettying it up and putting it out for the sake of raising funds for the sequel.

Now AAA games with big money backing them is something else altogether, publishers double dipping rather than making the risky investments and something worth playing instead of just something to play again.

• Shuck says:

By the time I’m get around to playing a game I’ve bought, the sequel has usually come out and elaborated upon and improved the original game concept. So lately I’ve been thinking I should skip games and just wait for the inevitable sequels…

• April March says:

I’ve played enough sequels that either 1) pared down the original’s ideas so much that it’s hardly the same series or 2) competently refined the original to such an extent that both games end up being great, yet markedly different experiences so I’d recommend against that.

4. G-Lord says:

Tried the new version over the weekend (played through the original thanks to Adam). It’s a really significant upgrade and it did a lot to polish up this diamond in the rough.

5. ROMhack2 says:

I bought the game earlier but it seemed quite buggy. I got to a point about 15 minutes in and couldn’t progress any further. When I looked up a walkthrough online it showed that a prompt is supposed to appear for a lock puzzle but it that didn’t appear. I restarted the game and yet again it didn’t appear. It may have been because I’m playing with a controller?

Regardless, it gave me awful motion sickness so I had to refund.

Aside from that, I had a swell time.