Dishonored 2 Sneaking Out On November 11th

Dishonored [official site] will bring us more first-person stealth delights on November 11th, publishers Bethesda announced today. Dishonored 2 is set 15 years after the first game, with Emily Kaldwin now a grown-up Empress and supernatural murderer herself as a second playable character option. We still don’t know much more about the game than when it was announced last year, nor have we seen it, but Bethesda say they’ll finally give us a peek during E3 in June.

The sequel will bring more first-person stealth, with a side of murdering, knocking-out, or avoiding enemies as you see fit. Emily and Corvo will have different styles as protagonists, packing different weapons, gadgets, and supernatural powers.

It’s travelling to a new corner of the world, beyond the grim walls of Dunwall to the sunny land of Karnaca. It’s inspired by Greece, Italy, Spain – quite different to Dunwall’s Edinburgh-y, London-ish tones. Just watch out for the swarms of bloodflies which will feast on any corpses you happen to leave around, okay?

Bethesda say they’ll show gameplay from Dishonored 2 during their E3 conference on June 12th. Normally I’d be a bit suspicious if a big-budget game were kept under wraps until only a few months before its release but, well, it’s Dishonored, man. That game is good! I trust Arkane Studios know what they are doing.

Here’s last year’s flashy announcement trailer again:

[Disclosure: former RPS columnist – and current Alice flatmate – Cara Ellison worked a bit on Dishonored 2.]

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Aw yiss. I had kind of assumed that this one was going to slip quietly into 2017, so this is great news (also it’s long enough after Mankind Divided that the two shouldn’t cannibalize each other).

Bethesda’s press release makes mention of actually choosing between Corvo and Emily, which is interesting–I’d assumed that the switching between them was going to be a story thing. As is it sounds a lot more like Bound in Blood. Hopefully they’ll both be equally adept at violence and stealth, and the differences will be more about methods of traversal and so on.

• Zenicetus says:

Allowing free choice between two different assassin-types is something that was fun in AC Syndicate. You could do it on most missions, with just a few scripted ones where you were forced to play either the brother or sister, due to the storyline focus.

Unfortunately it felt mostly like just a role-playing preference on the free choice missions, because there was very little difference in the skill trees between the two characters. I hope they’re a little more distinct in this one. Dishonored was one of the best games of this type that I’ve played, and the DLC was even better. So I’m looking forward to the sequel.

2. Author X says:

And here I just finally got around to finishing Brigmore Witches last nice (a great time!). Definitely looking forward to this, as Dishonored is a great combo of story, setting, stealth, and kidnapping people to perform vague rituals for ancient runes.

HothMonster says:

Are you press sneak fucks allowed to talk about this?

• Author X says:

Press sneak fucking is much easier once you invest in the time stop ability, you just need to practice writing and posting an article in <8 seconds.

4. Greg Wild says:

Late-date announces are pretty common these days aren’t they? At least in the AAA space. Fallout 4 was announced with something like 4-5 months before release – another Bethesda published game.

It makes a lot of sense. Market only once you know those marketing $/£s will pay off.

• Michael Fogg says:

personally I’d prefer if they just Beyonceed that shit

5. ResonanceCascade says:

Hopefully Arkane Austin’s new game isn’t too far from announcement now, too.

6. Elmilitante says:

Best game-related news in a long time! I was hoping for a 2016 release, even if they were silent about the former May date. This and Deus Ex: MD are gonna blow anything else into oblivion:P

• Stevostin says:

This will, very little chance Deus Ex does. I find it odd that you compare both. Dishonored as excellent, original and very well implemented gameplay. DX has poor gunplay which says it all about a gun based FPS. Dishonored had an interesting, adult story and a fascinating lore. DX was full of cliche (sometimes infuriating when they forced you to see your avatar make silly mistakes you’d never have done if you were in control) and boring to death texts on terminal. Art direction is pretty good in DX, but not as memorable as Dishonored. Sound & music is just better in Dishonored as well, and it even has the relatively meaningful player’s decisions that are disappointingly weak in DX considering its legacy. All this metrics have to add up and at a point, there’s no way we can put the two games on the same level. Dishonored is its own landmark in the industry, while DX:HR leaves still a lot to prove for Square Enix in term of ability be worthy of the license’s legacy.

• Zekiel says:

It would be really odd NOT to compare Dishonored and DXHR. They are the only two high profile first person games I can think of that allow multiple approaches to situations – different routes; lethal, non-lethal or ghosting. Why wouldn’t you compare them? It’s fine if you don’t like DXHR but lots of people did.

• Sandepande says:

Nonsense, DXHR was great.

• Elmilitante says:

Im actually not comparing them, not in the sense you described. I simply view these 2 in particular as games, which in my humble opinion, will stand as the best titles of this calendar year. They are, in any case, different games, with their main similarity being stealth, no? While I do agree with you on the fact that Dishonored had/has “excellent, original and very well implemented gameplay”, I do disagree on the “DX was full of cliche” sentiment. I would say that the art direction is incredible in both games, I love them both equally, I guess:). The music in DX stands out for me more, though. McCann delivered a haunting, stylish soundtrack, that I was listening to even by itself, and that is something.

7. dead centre says:

Yep, can’t wait! I might get a new system so’s I can enjoy their shiny graphics

8. w0bbl3r says:

Isn’t anyone else concerned that all we have had is announcement and trailer (CGI trailer at that) a year ago, and no real screenshots or gameplay so far, yet the game is due out in a few months?
    Shouldn’t they be showing off snippets of the actual game by now if they are confident it will impress?
    I always get a bit iffy when they do this. I usually do it with CoD, but even they showed gameplay in their first trailer this year.

Aitrus says:

From the Bethesda.net story – “New details about the game will be revealed in Game Informer’s exclusive cover story, available on Saturday, May 7, with the digital edition available today.”

So not gameplay, but maybe screenshots?

9. Sic says:

I hope that’s not Corvo in the end of the teaser.

It concerns me a bit that everyone in the trailer have paper thin faces, and that Corvo (if that indeed is him) doesn’t look like Corvo.

10. Simbosan says:

Great news, let’s hope they allow for huge stacking of unconscious bodies. Hate it when those snoring bodies mysteriously disappear

11. Megakoresh says:

Yeah! My favourite game of 2012. And one of my most favourite games of all time! I can never have too little Dishonoured.

12. Matroska says:

I hope more and more women are given the prestige of being the “2nd playable character” like this one, and the one from Assassin’s Creed Unity. Back when I was a kid, that honour used to go to foxes and incompetent younger brothers, so I think we’ve come a long way.