Fallout 4 Visiting Misty DLC Island Of Far Harbor On 19th

The first two Fallout 4 [official site] DLC add-ons were okay enough, but eyes have been on the third one. The first proper one. A big ole hunk o’ story by the name of Far Harbor. That’s the real stuff. Far Harbor will send the gang up to an island off the Maine coast to investigate goings-on between a colony of synths, Children of Atom cultists, and the regular townsfolk. Given that Stephen King owns all fictional representations of Maine (actual legal fact!), it’s no surprise that Far Harbor’s first trailer seems to be riffing a bit on the dark and foggy shores of that iconic author, dreamweaver, and visionary. With a bit of H.P. Lovecraft too.

I do like the anglerfishmen who pretend to be lillies. It’d be nice to plant a watergarden of them in a settlement, though I don’t know if I could trust settlers to steer clear. Everyone’s always attracted to the pretty little lights.

Bethesda say Far Harbour is the largest landmass they’ve ever created for an add-on, though given all that mist they could have you walking in circles for seven hours and who’d ever know? Strange things happen out in the fog, man. It’ll bring new quests and dungeons and weapons and armour and all that too, of course. Here’s the official explanation for what sends players out to the island:

“In Far Harbor, a new case from Valentine’s Detective Agency leads you on a search for a young woman and a secret colony of synths. Travel off the coast of Maine to the mysterious island of Far Harbor, where higher levels of radiation have created a more feral world. Navigate through the growing conflict between the synths, the Children of Atom, and the local townspeople. Will you work towards bringing peace to Far Harbor, and at what cost?”

Far Harbor is due to launch on Tuesday, May 19th. It’ll cost £19.99, and also comes as part of the £39.99 DLC Season Pass. Far Harbor is the last of Fallout 4’s announced DLC packs, though Bethesda have enough extra planned that they thought it fitting to raise the Season Pass’s price. But hey, mod tools are out now too.

From this site

1. Abracadaniel says:

From what the trailer shows it looks very similar to point lookout, I had hoped for a full on Lovecraft story dlc, I guess we will see. Btw is this considered the end of the season pass?

Aitrus says:

There’s at least one other round of DLC yet to come.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Another round as in three more? Or as in not-quite-another-round, one (1) more after Fah Habah?

The only info on the €50 Season Pass page:
        “Winner of Best of Show E3 2015, get the Fallout 4 season pass and get all Fallout 4 DLC for one S.P.E.C.I.A.L. price.”

Seriously… And really €50? The actual game was €30 on launch day (GMG £ price with a 25% discount code)

• Galilnagant says:

Oh please, no. Not more of this Lovecraft crap. It was fine when it was just an easter egg in F3, it was much less fine when that easter egg turned into a serious quest in Point Lookout. F4 already has enough tolerable Lovecraft references without descending into some mess of trying to completely destroy the Fallout series by changing it from a post-apocalyptic sci-fi series with an off-beat retro-future aesthetic into some wannabe paranormal body horror about fishmen conspiracies in New England fishing villages. First they turn it into a flat-out first person shooter with minimal RPG elements, now people think it’s a good idea to make it into a lovecraft FPS with minor RPG elements?

2. MrFinnishDude says:

Huh, interesting.
    I wonder if they will continue to elaborate on the supposed eldrich being in the Dunwich building in FO3.
    I want to be exited about this, but this is still Fallout 4. I subconsciously prepare for disappointment.

• Michael Fogg says:

They did recycle that idea in FO4, there’s a mine called Dunwich Borers. Quite a good side quest, in fact.

3. Kefren says:

Like a cross between Dark Corners of the Earth and the Fallout 3 Point Lookout expansion? That would get me interested!

• Kefren says:

Puts me in the mood for horror. One of the stories from my next book was partly influenced by my childhood love of Lovecraftian things and the sea. Happy to temporarily share it via link to drive.google.com if you want a quick read of just that story.

4. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

“The fog can do a number on you, get you all turned around.”

JOKE’S ON YOU, I’M LEAVING THE UI ON.

5. Nibblet says:

Bethesda’s writers being what they are and managment loving the idea of saving a buck by recycling assets, i would be willing to bet that any “horror of the deeps” this Xpac introduces will just turn out to be mirelurks. Perhaps talking ones if they are feeling “original”.

6. Zenicetus says:

If it’s a case file for Valentine’s agency, I wonder if it’s mandatory to bring Nick along as the companion? He was my main in the first playthough, but I’ve been avoiding him on the new one I started recently. I guess it’d be worth it, if there is a lot of new dialogue for him.

7. Monggerel says:

RECOGNIZE THAT mushy LOVECRAFTIAN smell YOU’VE BECOME ACCUSTOMED TO SINCE YOU BECAME A nerd?!?!?!?!

Smells like something the cat dragged in. Then shat and pissed on.
    I swear to Yaldabaoth if I see another Cthulhu Mythos-’em-up anything, I’ll roll my eyes super fucking hard.
    Again.

• AlexStoic says:

It’s kind of amazing that Lovecraft has become so common it borders on cliche, especially considering that the author died not only in obscurity, but completely broke and in constant pain due to untreated cancer. Imagine if he somehow found out how popular he would become.

That said, it could use a break. Most modern influence thinks it means cramming in as many eldritch horrors as possible, but the vast majority of his writings were about what you don’t see.

• SomeDuder says:

Lovecraft is the new zombie apocalypse.

But yea, an unrelated game or movie or picking an element from the Chutuluverse was great at first, when noone had heard about it except NERDS, but now it’s trendy/cool in hipstertown to talk about a deranged writer’s work like they just discovered it.

The result is that there’s games, fanfiction, more games, a South Park episode and hell, apparently even a japanese cartoon about the ancient ones (taking the form of naked schoolgirls (yes, I’ll be doing more research)). It feels like the stuff has run its course, but I’m sure we’ll be going “Oh haha, so wacky, those craaaaaazy spacegods and their demonic invasions, pretty random brah” for another 15 years or so.

8. stringerdell says:

Is that a darkplace reference just before the jump? Outstanding.

9. eyelu says:

The first two DLC’s “okay enough”? Are you kidding me? The first one was indeed “okay-ish” and it wasnt insultingly bad. But the second one was such trash that its the moment when I decided to more or less ragequit the game untill far harbor. A lazy, sorry excuse of a mod that was stitched together in 10minutes.
    I honestly have incredibly low expectations for Far harbor at this point, but I hope that they make something atleast half competent. The basegame was not that so Im hoping that the expansion will turn out well so I have atleast something positive to say about “Dissapointment of the century 4”

10. Itdoesntgoaway says:

I’m guessing – and I hope I’m wrong: You arrive at the island. The main town is a quest hub. You are asked to go retrieve item X to progress the plot and shoot nth creatures in the process. There are several side “quests” wherein you retrieve Y item and shoot nth creatures in the process. This happens many times. DLC ends. Oh and “story” because RPG obligation.

• Catsplosion says:

You just described almost every RPG.

Maybe take a step away from the keyboard and say some words to real people in hopes that they say words back or place one foot ahead of the other whilst increasing your speed to clear your mind.

• Stevostin says:

More accurately, a good dlc will be a mix of:
      – places
      – characters
      – dialog
      – choices
      – some searching
      – some fighting
      – some of those while “dungeoning”
      – interesting items
      – some gameplay twists from Vanilla

It’s absolutely untrue that Bethesda never do those. Actually the go fetch me x amount of y is pretty scarce in their games. But it’s true that F4 offered way less options than F3. In part because some people jumped the hype wagon by trashing it without realizing it was actually stellar in term of providing options. So, thought Bethesda, why bother ?

And here I am, playing the Fallout those people disserve.

11. Palladian says:

All Bethesda game trailers should have the dialogue without showing you the person speaking. The animation when NPCs speak – even worse, when they speak to each other – is so atrotious I’m convinced the explanation for some of the belief that Bethesda are bad writers is because it’s delivered by the most wooden robots imaginable.

I didn’t really get along with FO4, but I might enjoy this.

• Razumen says:

Agreed, it’s not so bad when you’re talking to just one NPC, but as soon as conversations involve more than two people it becomes painfully apparent just how dated and stiff their current animation system is.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I don’t think it’s their current [Bethesda-engine-meme] system as much as tech not being there yet for freeform sandbox NPC behaviour running on a home computer, as compared to tightly scripted scenes in smaller environments where everybody but the player is following the screenplay.

That’s one of the reasons other sandboxers, like GTA steal some of the control away during scripted real-time story scenes, plus there is only a fraction of plausible scenarios about what may be going on in the surrounding area in comparison.

• Razumen says:

Sorry, I don’t buy it, it doesn’t take THAT much processing power for smoother animation and transitions, regardless of what else is happening. Other games are way beyond what Bethesda has managed, and they’ve been so for awhile.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Do you have an example? The only ones I can think of where the NPC’s doesn’t make you think of puppet animatronics use in-engine, realtime cutscenes like The Witcher 3 rather than uninterrupted gameplay.

12. Solidstate89 says:

Between the Point Lookout DLC and all of the occult stuff they’ve been pushing with everything associated with Dunwich in Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 (along with an Eldritch god called “Ug-Qualtoth” it’s actually not all that surprising that this is the theme they’ve gone with.

Makes sense, really.