Battleface: New Battlefield Game Teaser-Trailed

At 9PM BTS/4PM ET, we’ll find out whether the new Battlefield game is Battlefield 5, Battlefield: More Uncomfortable Police Brutality Allusions, or something else entirely. I’m wondering if it could be something a little science-fictional, in order to go toe-to-toe with what COD is up to. Also, wild speculation funtimes: the seconds-long teaser trailer below suggests that its Big Face Man is looking up at something enormous and maybe a little scary. Maybe a mech? We’re overdue a return to 2142. Although the rest of the internet seems to think we’re going back to 1942 at long last.

Maybe it is just an antiquated plane flying overhead. Or maybe it’s just a cloud that looks a bit like Santa. Who knows? All of us, in about 11 hours, that’s who. The smart money is on this being Battlefield 5 in ethos if not name, as EA DICE seem to have a tick-tock strategy, switching between a mainline sequel and a spin-off each year. But if COD is shaking things up, wouldn’t surprise me if EA did too.

Whatever the game is, it’s being referred to merely as “Battlefield” for the time being, though I doubt that’s the final title.

Big Face Man above is rendered in the lastest version of the Frostbite engine, by the way, but apparently does not constitute in-game footage, and therefore is entirely meaningless in terms of telling us anything about what the game will actually look like. Other than that it will almost certainly feature beefy, blue-eyed white blokes in some capacity.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Cinek says:

Oh, looks like another company decided to remove the number from game’s title. And now we’ll have “Battlefield” instead of “Battlefield 5”, because fuck you.

• int says:

I don’t get the abject fear of numerically titled games, and movies for that matter. Does a single-word game or movie sell better? Does a game with a colon sell more copies? Because it shouldn’t since it has a disgusting and likely tumorous colon in it.

• mtomto says:

They could do something like books do. “A Song of Ice and Fire” is a series – “Game of Thrones” is only the first book.

Battlefield is the series, and then all they need is a subtitle like “5” :D nah just kidding :)

• XxBrentos9xX says:

It’s just blatantly annoying, same as when MS decided to call it the Xbox One. Sometimes trying to search for something that was on the original, first xbox is fucking impossible given this naming scheme. I mean I think it works for something like Doom, since it’s been several decades, but for a series with almost a yearly entry (or every 2 years) it should have a name to differentiate it from all of the others.

Plus, just the thought of buying “Battlefield 5” is better than something called Battlefield. It would make me assume that it was a re-hash of an old game, even if it wasn’t true, and could put potential buyers of the game off (and they really need a big win after Battlefront and Hardline)

• try2bcool69 says:

Battlefront has sold 13 million copies…pretty much the same as BF4…not a failure by that measure.
          Hardline, on the other hand, probably didn’t sell enough to cover the cost of making it…although it looks like a low budget piece of crap to begin with, so, what did they expect?

• Flopdong says:

After a certain point, numbers get confusing without a subtitle or something more substantial to help remember it.
        “Which one was battlefield 9 again?” “The one with the tanks and planes and jungles” “The Vietnam one?” “No that was BF7, BF9 is the Korean war” etc etc

2. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I’m sure it will be super clever and realistic and amazing and innovative and ground-breaking, and all those other lovely buzzwords. But I’m afraid I was burned by the release of both Battlefield 3 and 4, and on an ancillary level pretty much every other EA game I’ve been stupid enough to purchase in the last 6 years or so.

So I’m sorry EA but you can fuckin do one.

• Legion1183 says:

I’m with you on this. After BC2 I played BF3 and accepted it for what it was, hoping EA DICE would go back to BC2’s gameplay in the next iteration. Then BF4 came out, I played it for a while but not even about a quarter the time I spent on BC2 or half what I spent on BF3. Haven’t even come close to purchasing Hardline or Battlefront after being burned by BF4.

• Talbot says:

You kids and your BC2 (*Jest*). In my day we had 2142; they stopped being good after that one.

• Koozer says:

God I loved getting over to a remote futurohouse, setting up with my anti-tank sniper launcher thing and farming medals by blowing up titan turrets.

G97_BoKeRoN says:

My trick to dodge all this pesky bug problems is easy: wait 1-2 months after release. BF3 & 4 where smooth enough for me.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Nah I’m afraid it’s too late for me now. I’m all for forgiveness when it comes to crappy launches; I love Diablo and Arkham Knight, but there is a key issue at play here: EA’s business practices are beyond fucktarded. They ruined SimCity, they killed battlefield, they somehow managed to make a mess of dungeon keeper – the list goes on.

What I’m no longer prepared to do is encourage their ethos when it comes to the medium I love, and their customers. It’s all spunk-gargle-weewee.

G97_BoKeRoN says:

You are right, obviously. I must say my copy of BF4 was a gift from a friend. Free games always help to forgive messed-up practices.

• Gibster says:

I am willing to forgive such launch disasters for several reasons. A) it usually means the game will be cheaper faster. B) (assuming the developers have patched it post-release) it means the devs have learned something and in the case of DICE this is exemplified with surprisingly stable release of SW Battlefront. C) It is unreasonable to expect anything to work on release anyways (largely because anything that can go wrong will go wrong and that’s doubly true concerning games).

Maybe I just like giving out second chances. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that it’s Battlefield and is thus one of the best fps experiences to be had, where else are you going to get massive 64 player, combined infantry, armor, and air battles? I greatly enjoy BF4 post-release and it gives me hope for the next Battlefield.

3. Ansob says:

It’d bloody well better be Battlefield 2145.

• BobbyDylan says:

I’m hoping for BF1944. Blowing up those little European villages in BC2 was great fun.

4. Legion1183 says:

Oh no… this looks like its going to be similar to COD with its futuristic stuff. I don’t want Battlefield 2142 Remastered I want a new Bad Company 3. Why are you ignoring our cries EA/DICE? Why?!

Big Face Man better be looking at a heli or plane and not a damn spaceship.

5. Pizzzahut says:

It’s going to be called Battlefield: Battlelog. Where players battle the battlelog interface, one poor design decision at a time.

• Tetrode says:

Actually Battlelog is really quite good, sorry you don’t think that way.

• cakeisalie says:

Yeah I don’t understand this animosity towards Battlelog. It works well, it’s easy to use and you login easily from any PC/device without installing any software. Plus it can be modded with plugins like Better Battlelog to improve the stats functionality and increase customisation.

Now Origin on the other hand, that is awful.

• zind says:

While I do think Battlelog actually does have quite a few neat features with its stat tracking and loadout management, I hate that it is used for the server browser and party system. Inevitably when we get a few people together to try and play, we first have to battle plugin and browser issues, and then needing to close the game (or alt-tab, which crashes the game half the time anyway) to switch servers is just the janky icing on the cake.

• Koozer says:

Hey guy, opinions are allowed.

6. GameCat says:

Please, let it be the WWII shooter.

7. DTK79 says:

8. Catsplosion says:

Please be 2142 remastered, please!

9. Turkey says:

They should go the opposite route of CoD and have you fight a bunch of medieval knights and cowboys and shit from a time rift.

10. RimRider says:

The guy in the video is wearing an earring, therefore a throwback to FPS glory days of 1942 is unlikely.

Whatever it is, please, don’t be science-fictional!

• RimRider says:

In fact, he’s actually wearing one in each ear. There goes any setting pre-2010!!

• Darth Gangrel says:

You seemed to have Sher-locked on to something that might tell us more about the setting. Nice detective work.

11. tifaucz says:

I hope its a blimp!

Mr. Anderson says:

All I want is Bad Company 3.
    But that’s probably not happening any time soon :(

13. Carlos Danger says:

Mecha Barbra Streisand, it has to be. Nothing else would inspire such dread and awe.

14. Neurotic says:

WWII, WWII, WWII, WWII! Pleasepleasepleaseplease.

15. Rymosrac says:

All I really want to see is a return to community involvement in the game via mod support, LAN support, and public server files. They’ve had a fistful of years to get over their “Silly modders, game 2 hard 4 u” condescention. A huge percentage of classic battlefield’s appeal was the things the playerbase was able to add to it, from Desert Combat to Project Reality to the Star Wars mods for 2142 to the still-extant servers for the long-abandoned games prior to Bad Company, and it’s done nothing short of piss me off that that fantastic community has recieved such an absolute dismissal in recent years.

16. Parrilla says:

I can kind of understand the criticism of BF4, given its launch, but I think it’s unfair. For at least the past year BF4 has been one of the best online shooters on the market and for their particular brand of large maps and combined arms warfare it is unparalleled.

Personally I really hope it is WW2 (or Vietnam or Korea). We haven’t had a good AAA online WW2 game for almost a decade now and technology has improved where it could be considerably better than the last ones we had. Will be disappointed if it is 2143 or some other future/near future setting. So generic and there’s too many of them at the moment.

17. BobbyDylan says:

Leak says Battlefield 5. So expect the same experience as BF3/4.

18. Behrditz says:

Its already been revealed elsewhere what this is. Its Battlefield 1, and its set in ww1.

Just under an hour to go until official announcement though, so lets see how correct those leaks were.

19. Ham Solo says:

Awesome, it’ll be like Verdun, only a thousand times worse, and already we can buy pre-order DLC. That is so great, guys. “Call of Battleduty Modern Quarters Premium Elite 1”, GotY every year.