What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Sorry, I’m supposed say something witty or interesting here, but I got distracted reading about raccoons. So tell me, what are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re on:

Adam: I’m playing Stellaris. Probably for the entire 48 hour period.
Alec: Dark Souls. Dark Souls 1, not 3, because I want to do this properly, from the start, knowing what it all means and how it’s changed. God, a week ago the last thing I ever wanted to play was Dark Souls. Now there is only Dark Souls. A raft of turn-based strategy games on my hard drive now gather dust, abandoned. What is happening to me? Is this… is this death?
Alice: Maybe this could be the weekend I catch up on my sleep and rest. No, probably not, given there’s still Dark Souls III and the call of Deadly Premonition ever echoing and Overwatch’s open beta weekend and I’m catching up on Places and… is it legal to pay someone to clock you with a cinderblock for a nice, relaxing two-day coma?
Graham: In my dreams I will be playing Stellaris, the space strategy game from Paradox that Adam’s been sharing stories from all week. In reality, at best, I will play some more of Prune. Slicing branches off rapidly growing trees is soothing and I’ve a few levels left.
John: I’m hoping to get Kathy Rain finished early this weekend so we can have a review up on Monday, and also to take a look at Ecotone and the Empyrion update, but I am also aware that I won’t. Because life is busy, and it’s the weekend, and the glorious days of spending weekends playing games are lost to me. Apart from last weekend when my wife and son were away, where I instead opted to have a gall stone and spend a night in hospital in agony. I’m AMAZING at spare time.
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing Battleborn because I am working on the Battleborn review. That’s my story and I am sticking to it. I might also try to find out where I put the gummy worms bag so I can eat those while I play Battleborn. But I will be playing Battleborn. And thinking about gummy worms. I will be playing Battleworm. I will be reviewing gummy worms. I am hungry.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Awesomeclaw says:

I am currently working my way through the Dark Souls series. So far I’ve beaten 1 and I’ve just reached the Iron Fortress in 2. I’ll probably also play a bit more Overwatch – I’ve played a couple of matches so far and it seems fun, still need to work out which characters I like though.

2. ramirezfm says:

Need last two trophies for Salt and Sanctuary, because it is soulslike and I 100% everything souls. A little Blade and Soul as usual. GF is out this weekend but Moto GP is on, so not sure how my plans of catching up with Metro 2033 Redux and RE5 Lost in Nightmares will go…

• Andrew says:

“Blade & Soul”? Is it any good? I want something like that, to relax (dumb quests are relaxing) and test Steam Controller in MMO. But it looks so… Korean, for the lack of a better word. From outfits, to grind, to… to… Actually, what’s there beside combat? Crafting? Ships? Anything? Maybe “Black Desert” is more my taste.

• ramirezfm says:

If you want to go to top end dungeons then you will need to grind for weapons, shields (passive buffs) and mats. Apart from that there is no grind involved. I got to max level doing only the main quest. I did pay them for the subscription though, just because I had so much leisure fun and the subscription gives me 20% more exp I think. But there is surprisingly little grind. I don’t think there is much outside combat though. When you’re max level there are only dailies, dungeons and pvp. I do dailies and sometimes dungeons, just because it’s dumb fun. And I like to play dress up and you have lots of outfits here.

3. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Well I just discovered that ori and the blind forest exists, and it looks like everything I ever wanted from a videogame. I bought the definitive edition last night, and the prologue made me cry like little girl. Also it’s stunning!

• LimitingFactor says:

It’s a lovely game. Some people are frustrated by the escape sequences. I encourage you to push through them.

4. James says:

I’m playing the ‘get work finished two days early so I can play Stellaris when it comes out’ game. It’s been ages since I felt hyped for a game, but Stellaris looks like everything I want in a space strategy game. Hail Blorg!

5. Unsheep says:

Some RaceRoom gaming, got the new ADAC GT Masters 2015 pack and will start a new custom championship. My chosen car is the Bentley, I expect a fair deal of technical challenge.

MotoGP 15, continuing the Moto3 Championship with Efrén Vázquez, I really like that Honda bike. Will give my consoles some attention with Forza 4 and Gran Turismo 6.

Block’hood recently came with a new update so I’ll be playing some of that again. I bought some Star Wars games from the GOG sale and will start on Empire At War this weekend as well.

6. Andrew says:

I’m supposed say something witty or interesting here…

Why start now? Hey!

Okay, I’ll be over here, playing DS3.

7. Zekiel says:

Are we stuck with John’s beblooded picture forever more?

(I’ll be playing Pillars of Eternity still, which will be my answer for the next 3 months unless I get bored of it.)

• Sarfrin says:

Careful now, we don’t want it replaced by a begallstoned picture.

8. Sarfrin says:

I don’t know what that raccoon thing was, but it was hilarious. I will be playing VTMB, Mushroom 11, Human Resource Machine and maybe a bit of Mini Metro if the mood takes me.

• GWOP says:

An article inked in fear of a creature that straddles the line between man and beast.

• Lintire says:

VTMB is always good for a play, replay, or anything inbetween. Even more so now that I’ve discovered the skip text button.

9. Grim_22 says:

There is only Overwatch. God, I can’t stop playing it, it’s quite amazing isn’t it? I really didn’t expect that.

• Monggerel says:

Ditto. From what I’ve seen of the game so far, it seemed to me like a less interesting version of Team Fortress 2 with some Dota abilities.

In reality, it’s a less interesting version of Team Fortress 2 with some Dota abilities that’s really, really fun to play.

Also, in retrospect, the kerfuffle about Tracer’s unsubtle victory pose seems ridiculous considering Widowmaker exists and is in the game.

• tigerfort says:

The “Kerfuffle” happened because the pose was out of character for Tracer; Widowmaker’s sexy poses were actually mentioned in the original discussion as a contrast because they fit the character and were therefore fine.

• Monggerel says:

… so the point is basically that it’s out of character for Tracer to act coquettish?

That… really wasn’t my impression. I guess I didn’t understand what this was about though.

• Grim_22 says:

I can see merits to both sides of this discussion. On one hand, the entire thing is absolutely ridiculous and the pose shouldn’t have bothered anyone to begin with. On the other hand, the new pose does indeed fit Tracer alot better and seems more in line with her character. So everybody wins, I guess?

• LimitingFactor says:

Extra Credits just did a nice video about this.

• Carra says:

After my first hour I was “mmm, Ok, it’s pretty similar to TF2. Quite fun”. And after the weekend I’m wondering why I have to wait two more weeks to play it again.

10. Phantasma says:

Not Stellaris.
    Which grates immensely.

I try to fill the weekend with other distractions to alleviate the wait, two birthday parties will certainly help. The rest of the time i guess some taming (and much dying)in Ark and maybe a new Stardew Valley playthrough may fill the gap….

Who am i kidding, th next 72 hours will be excruciating.

11. Imbecile says:

Just finished the Heart of Glass expansion for the Witcher 3. Pretty good! So now onto the Day of the Tentacle remake.

And Rocket League.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I didn’t know Debbie Harry was involved with CDPR!

• Imbecile says:

Hah! Thats a quality slip on my part. Erm, Heart of Stone obvs, though the man of glass is involved, but you need to enlist Blondies help to sing a rousing chorus of Atomic in order to break the mirrors. Its quite a finale.

12. Gemberkoekje says:

Like Phantasma, not Stellaris. Probably some Rocket League and Stardew Valley.

13. darkteflon says:

I’ll be playing the waiting game for Stellaris. First time I’ve ever pre-purchased anything on Steam. Da-yum 2016, between this and XCOM2 it’s shaping up to be a bumper year.

14. Morcane says:

Tried Overwatch, meh, not for me. Seeing cartoony shooters made me install Borderlands 2, and it’s still lots of fun. For the rest, sunny weather so some stuff outside with the family.

15. zsd says:

Finished Dead Space 2, so I will be devoting some more time to finishing up The Cat Lady. Its technical jankiness makes it hard to bear in more than short spurts, but it consistently brings me something new and weird every time I play it, which is something many games can’t do.

I have also resumed not reaching the Nuclear Throne. The “Killed By” message should just be a picture of a hand pointing at me through the monitor.

Ben Barrett says:

Dammit Adam ;_;

TehK says:

I’ll be spending my weekend hating Adam, because he can play Stellaris and I can’t…. *shakes fist*

TehK says:

oh… wanted to say…
      I tried Overwatch and love it, but I’m forcing myself not to play, because the open beta will stop on Monday and then it’s 2 weeks waiting time. So I’m quite happy that I got a chance to see how I lilke it but now I’m gonna wait until the actual release.

18. Sin Vega says:

I will be playing Find Job And House Simulator and also possibly a bit of A Valley Without Wind, for some reason. I guess I want to examine my strange mix of feelings about it.

• CarthAnne says:

Is it wrong I had to check to see that Find Job and House Simulator was not a real game? After all, there is a VR game on Steam called “Job Simulator”.

Herzog says:

Spelunky, Pinball FX2 Aliens Table

I got some gaming fatigue the last two weeks. Deus Ex HR or Portal Stories didn’t grab me so I catched up on some movies. Just got Broforce in the steam sale. This should be an antidote against gaming fatigue!

cpt_freakout says:

I had Legends of Eisenwald in my backlog and I just started playing it this week, and will definitely continue on this weekend. At first I thought it wasn’t that good, but I kept at it and it’s been surprisingly compelling. The writing is all over the place, and for a pseudo-historical setting it’s full of anachronisms, but there’s some interesting setpieces and the combat turned out to be quite satisfactorily clever. Another thing that surprised me is that it’s chock-full of stories beyond the titular ‘legends’; all the little details in the map become quite meaningful thanks to them, and it makes the setting vibrant in ways that the more grand scales and stakes of the likes of HoMM tended to ignore. Stopping by some village seemingly placed by mere design reasons (a long road otherwise uninteresting)? Well, turns out that village is comprised solely by an old leathermaker that has outlived everyone else, living like a ghost in the midst of some ruins, scaring passers-by because there’s still some life left in a place supposed to be dead. Fun stuff.

21. Vacuity729 says:

I’ll be playing Super Endurance Swimming Simulator 2016. It’s an incredibly immersive experience, and I’m sure it’ll be make a big splash by summer.

I’m trying to achieve the “Can swim for twenty minutes non-stop” achievement by June. I’m making good progress, but let me tell you; this game is all about grind! You’ve got to play for hours each week to have a hope of making real progress, and if you take time away from the game, you definitely get worse at it really quickly.
    It’s a real sink or swim proposition.

22. Shazbut says:

Stardew Valley. First winter is a few days away

23. BlackMageMario says:

Going to be playing the Overwatch beta (it is very fun but I feel I’ve already gotten to a place where the people I’m facing are wayyy better than me) and probably some Planetside 2 too. Really loving Soldier: 76 and Roadhog so far, although I also like Pharah as well.

Its going to be sad when its taken away on Monday night :<

Grizzly says:

Overwatch! I quite like it. It’s a happy game.

I’m also trying to actually become somewhat good at Wargame: Red Dragon but Red Dragon doesn’t have a learning curve in so much that it has a learning forested hill filled with eastern german special forces, so…

25. Kitsunin says:

Seeing as it can be snagged for $10 now, and with the pay to play shift having already been implemented, I’m playing Atlas Reactor. It’s super fun, and I hope to see it really succeed.

26. Boult Upright says:

I’ve put a bit of time into Just Cause 3. I enjoy running / driving / flying / boating / swimming around liberating towns and other general tomfoolery, but find the missions and story not that compulsive. Just like Mad Max in that respect.

27. Minglefingler says:

I was hoping to finsh Dark souls 3 before Monday but I won’t have the time for that due to family stuff so now I’m trying to convince myself that I’ll be able to resist Stellaris until I’m done with Dark Souls. Adam’s article last night and his insistence on telling us that he’s playing the thing for 48 hours this weekend have been less than helpful in my perpetrating this self-deception. I really can’t wait!

28. Fnord73 says:

Just broke through the wall of Argh! in Bloodborne, suddenly Im a killer. Fucking hell that game is amazing, even compared to Dark Souls 1 (except the need to go back to Hunters Dream all the time). (Sorry, PC purists.)

• Creeping Death says:

Bloodborne is amazing in a lot of ways, but having to return to Hunter’s Dream constantly (not only to level up but to travel to other areas, adding unnecessary loading screens) coupled with the obtuse nature of ringing the bell for summons (with no idea if any other players are even in your area/SL range) was so infuriating.

The first time I saw a summon sign again in Dark Souls 3 made me grin far more than it should have.

• Lintire says:

The password system does mean that your level doesn’t matter (it equalizes to the host) so you can just play with a friend through the entire game on an overlevelled character, a first for Fromsoftware’s unnecessarily obtuse online systems.

Vandelay says:

Not only do you have to return to Hunter’s Dream to teleport, but also to reset an area. I can forgive it for needing you to return there to level up, as it works narratively. Teleporting is a pain, but not required that often. But, adding additional loading screens when all you want to do is grind out some more blood vials was excruciating (although, I did realise whilst having a quick go at NG+ that just spending any spare blood on additional blood vials whenever you go back to level up lets you really swim in them – reached 100 pretty quickly.)

It is a fantastic game though. It captured that sense of dread and wonder that I had when I first really got into Dark Souls 1, which none of the others in the series have repeated. Dark Souls 3 is really great and may even be the best in the DS series, but I still think Bloodborne is the superior game in many ways.

Recently watched through Matt Lee’s Bloodborne Diaries and has made me want to jump right back into it, even though I have only just completed DS3.

• ksubs says:

If you play online, does the game force you to summon people? Basically, I want to play online for the notes other players left, but don’t really want to play with anyone else.

• malkav11 says:

Coop is entirely at your discretion. Invasions, less so.

Vandelay says:

It is kind of similar to Dark Souls. There are a few areas of PvP, but you can often prevent this by killing the bell ringing woman. For the most part, you can only be invaded if you summon someone. When you summon (which you are free to ignore, if you wish,) it also summons a bell ringing woman somewhere in the area. Kill her and you can’t be invaded.

When I played it just a few months ago, I found I was never getting invaded and there was quite limited co-op opportunities, so I think you are probably safe to play in online mode.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Aye, it’s a great great game, with very few niggles. The online play being the big one. A shame because it was already working in the Dark Souls games.

Are you in the know?

29. Discosauce says:

Dark souls 3. Have been taking it slow (lost my earlier game saves) so am still not so far along.

Hearthstone. The new expansion and standard mode have provided a lot of time to try out new cards and the new Wow! emote has eliminated any bad feelings I used to have from BM.

Ninja Dodo says:

Dreamfall Chapters. Feels like a wonderful continuation of the series so far. Only thing I’m a bit mixed on is I wish they had a bigger animation budget, especially in Book One, because the characters are not very expressive, visually.

31. ran93r says:

Overwatch at the expense of everything else, need to fill up before the two weeks of pre-release cold turkey.

32. Zach Fett says:

Battleborn! Lots and lots of it. Loving the game, I’ve already out 18 hours into it since Monday night. I put nearly 20 into the beta as well. Still not tired of it, which is nice as I usually get burnt out on games insanely fast.

I used to not care for MOBAs at all, kinda hated them. Tried Dota 2 and LoL and wasn’t a fan. Since Battleborn’s beta I’ve gotten really into Smite and Paragon. Fun stuff, and I feel like they’re easier to jump into compared to what I experienced of Dota 2 and LoL.

33. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Still decorating. But in the gaps, Downwell and Uncharted 3. Thought I best finish U3 before looking at the new one but God the combat is putting me right off. So tedious. Some fun set pieces in between though, fine couch material.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

End of weekend update: I am not very good at Downwell, but it is a lot of fun! Uncharted 3 is boring.

34. dawnmane says:

Starbound with my daughter, Battleborn and…something with Dwarfs and demigryphs.

35. malkav11 says:

Been sick since about Tuesday and my ambition level extends roughly as far as watching video and reading things. I’d like to play some Hex, because there’s an event on and I will get special cards that will most likely never be available again, but blergh.

36. fish99 says:

I finished Dark Souls 3. I’m kinda doing a 2nd playthrough as a Cleric, but so far it’s not enough different to my 2-hand DEX playthrough to be that interesting. Dunno how long it is until you get some attacking miracles and faith weapons.

Been playing some slither.io which is simple but very fun, but a bit too laggy to be really great. Also got a GTAV 2nd playthrough on the go.

I’m in-between games though really, so dunno what I’ll be playing.

37. Lintire says:

Enter the Gungeon.

It’s… eh, to be honest. Enemies just get tankier and tankier, and the rate you chew through ammo/shitty weapon and key drops means that you’ll be sticking with the starter weapon for most of the run.

Not that getting other weapons changes all that much.

Kinda boring due to the terrible pacing as a result. Kinda regret getting it. Might try to find something else on my steam list. All the mechanical prowess didn’t save it from that misstep.

Although I do have a semi-amusing anecdote to share:

PSN recently required a password change. That required details, such as birth date, from the profile to finalize or otherwise access the profile. Unbeknownst to them, the profile is completely fake information, down to the name being “Fuckbutts El Esquire The Third” (I have received mail from them under this name).

So yeeeeaaaah.

38. Det. Bullock says:

Blazblue: Calamity Trigger and Wing Commander Saga as always lately, senseless punching and space pew pew, both with loads of pretty colors and with niche controllers (an arcade stick and a HOTAS respectively).
    I also have the first Just Cause on hold since a few weeks ago, but I’m not currently in the mood for repetitive open world glitchfests with wonky physics.
    Perhaps I’ll try to beat the first level of Shadows of The Empire (god, I remember when my Matrox g100 crashed after about twenty minutes of play) without losing lives, the other levels are way too long and the time unfortunately is short.

39. jama says:

Just finished playing Bastion. I just all around enjoyed my second playthrough of it. Now I’m thinking either Transistor or Hitman Blood Money (which I snatched in a sort of recent Steam sale).

40. ksubs says:

Well, back to gaming only a couple of months ago, so I have a lot to catch up on. This weekend, I will be starting Bloodborne.

Strangely Brown says:

Been playing Teleglitch a lot the last few days, I only played it a little when it was new and something pulled me back in now. Interesting game, how it can screw you over and make you ragequit, yet an hour later pull you back in…

I find that, unsurprisingly, it works quite well with the music from Hotline Miami playing in the background (especially Hydrogen). Pushes me forward without getting me too excited.

Vandelay says:

Like others, I’ve been giving Overwatch a try. Really enjoyed what I have played so far and will likely put money down for it soon. Great range of different characters to play as, each with their own style. The maps initially did feel quite claustrophobic, but they do open up when you start playing around with different character abilities, as do possible solutions to chokepoints.

My only issue is that it seems difficult to have cohesion with your teammates. Many of the games I have had so far have ended up being people just charging in one at a time. That could just be the nature of an open beta and lots of people playing that don’t really know what they are doing other than wanting to make their kills go up. I assume the game has some form of matchmaking, so maybe just playing some more will get me matched up with players who have more experience.

Also, will continue playing Life is Strange. Played up to probably halfway through episode 2 so far. This is really great. The game has such a unique flavour to it, something that is rare even for the narrative/adventure game genre. It feels like you are taking part in your own little teen indie movie, complete with noodley guitar music intermissions, geeky pop culture reference and moments of quiet introspection. I can see many people really bouncing off it hard, but I am finding it quite engrossing.

The use of a rewind mechanic is so superb and obvious for this genre. Making an important decision, seeing the potential ramifications and being able to rewind to make the other choice allows you that extra freedom to think out what you would like to do. Plus, it fits in wonderfully with themes of the game and adds to the great characterisation of a teenage girl. A few moments of using the abilities in order to get the correct answer in class or to get one up on the school bully put me in mind of the great Buffy episode ‘Earshot.’ They are childish actions, she doesn’t jump right to using this special power for good causes, just minor little victories that no doubt feel special to her.

It does stumble in a few places. Some of the dialogue can be a little clunky. For example, earlier in the second episode one character, who never had much time for Max, seemingly at random mentions to her about her sick mother, just so that it can be used to open up another conversation when you reverse time that makes the two of them friendly. It is a “puzzle” that has been used a few times and some have been less awkward than others.

Looking forward to play more and has also put Dontnod on my list of developers to keep an eye on.

• Horg says:

”Many of the games I have had so far have ended up being people just charging in one at a time.”

This is a class design problem, although that’s not readily apparent until you’ve put in quite a few hours. Basically, it comes down to Overwatch having no single class that fills the role of the TF2 Engineer. Torbjorn and Symmetra got the big sentry and the teleporter split between them, and based on my experience of the earlier beta they aren’t getting played much. Even worse, the teleporter is an ultimate ability, which is frankly a dull design in itself, but also means that it cannot be relied upon even if your team has a rare Symmetra player.

Neither character really has anywhere near as much impact as the Engineer did, which makes them less interesting / fun picks, and Overwatch is quite bad at providing positive feedback for support plays. The 6 player limit per side also incentivises solo players to pick something more individually impactful.

The result is that the attacking team doesn’t get the offensive front line that you almost always had in TF2, where support Engineers were both common and really powerful. Without a fortified teleporter, players are left to slog back to the fight one by one. Without the natural rallying point the teleporter provides, players tend to just re-engage by themselves rather than hang around doing nothing.

• Person of Interest says:

I think it’s simpler than that: TF2 has respawns in “batches”, typically every 10 seconds. Overwatch doesn’t.

43. Carra says:

Playing Overwatch and enjoying it. It’s the kind of game that I can play for an hour at a time though.

And seeing how I’ve got over 500 hours in Paradox games I’m looking forward to Stellaris. They’re the kind of games I can play until I watch the hour and see that it’s already well passed midnight.

44. Chorltonwheelie says:

I’m going to go outside. Pray for me.

45. C0llic says:

The new airhead album from 7pm Sunday until I fall into a feverish sleep.

46. Telkir says:

Kill Adam kill Adam kill Adam kill Ad[snip]

I’m moping around being unable to settle to playing anything for more than half an hour because I’m too hyped for Stellaris.

Do have wonderful fun, Adam. *dagger glare intensifies*

47. fish99 says:

I finished Dark Souls 3, but I did start a second playthrough as a Cleric. So far it’s too similar to my 2-hand DEX playthrough to be really interesting though. I dunno how long before you get some attacking miracles and faith weapons.

Been playing some Slither as well, which is simple but addictive, but a bit too laggy to be really great. My best length so far is 28,000, but I saw someone else with nearly 200,000 :o

Still have a GTAV 2nd playthrough on the backburner too. Dunno what I’ll actually be playing though.

zinzan says:

Playing run around as a daddy taxi, get BBQ sorted (Yay for nice weather on a day off), try and not overccook everything and succeed as father for a day :)

OTOH: I’ve also got 12 turns of my Combat Mission PBeM’s done and am sniffing around DC:Barbarossa.

Lars Westergren says:

I just did the “Challenge” achievement in The Witness, pretty happy about that.

Also Rocksmith 2014, I’m finally learning how to play the bass properly. When the notes fade away, I thought it was a bug at first, but maybe it is that you are supposed to know the song by then?

A little bit of Pillars of Eternity. Now that I don’t have the Witness to obsess over I might progress a bit faster.

Thulsa Hex says:

Well done! That challenge is properly challenging, and that music choice is insidious.

Lars Westergren says:

Thanks! Yes, it will raise my stress levels every time I hear it for the rest of my life I suspect. A bit sad that I’ve finished almost all of it, except the “secret” puzzles. I can’t wait to see what the next game out of the studio will be.

Since I have a “blooded tooth” for difficult games now, I wonder if I should tackle Dark Souls next. I bounced off the first one, but everyone keeps talking about how good they are.

Thulsa Hex says:

Yeah, the Witness is a lovely game. I didn’t expect to like it all that much but ended-up spending whole days on that island when it first came out. It’s become one of my favourite virtual locations.

Segue! Lordran, in Dark Souls, is also one of my favourite gameplaces(TM). And the way its systems work in tandem with the lore is unprecedented. I will always heartily recommend it, but I’ll stop short of evangelising. What I will say about the difficulty is:

1. I think that when you get accustomed, the skill-based side of it has a very satisfying arc — if you’re willing to put up with a handful of spikes. (Just be sure to go up to the Burg when you first set out from Firelink!)

2. The system-based, willfully-obtuse side is best combated with a wiki. From the outset, it’s best to read about how Humanity/online works, but don’t even worry about stuff like weapon scaling and upgrading until you have a handle on the Undead Parish area at least.

(I just wish the PC port of DS1 was as flawless as DS2. The DSfix mod does a great job at tackling resolution and FPS restrictions, and the DSCM (DS community mod) is essential to get the online aspects going. With those, however, it works pretty great.)

Thulsa Hex says:

I’m continuing my “The Dark Soul” 100% run of the first Dark Souls. I’m still on NG, and having a lot of fun being a Darkwraith. I broke sequence and took on the Four Kings early so that I could get the “true” red eye orb before Blighttown. Upper B’town is an exciting place to invade, what with the verticality and precarious traversal. When you accost a newer player in this area, the fear is genuinely palpable. I sometimes feel bad, but I’ve embraced the “boogeyman” role for the most part. That said, for every nervous wreck you encounter there’s double that in hardened folks, happy to teach you a lesson. You never really know what you’re going to get. As ever, I love this game to pieces.