Dwarf Fortress 0.43 Released, Adds Adventurer Sites

That picture above? That’s exciting to me. I’d wager it’s exciting to you, even if you don’t know it yet. Dwarf Fortress [official site] was just updated to version 0.43, which introduces adventurer-made sites; aka the ability to build your own little homestead even when playing the game’s roguelike adventure mode and not its all-consuming fortress mode.

That means you can cut down trees, use carpentry to craft them in to doors and tables, build multi-storey homes in which to store your doors and tables, build secondary homes and assign them to companions with particular duties, and so on. It’s a settling-down update, by the sounds of it, where instead of needing to always be moving, always be adventuring, you could perhaps make a home for yourself by a forest with a little river and settle down for a quiet life.

You can also do things like this:

I’ve finished adding the image/material specification options to work orders, so if you want to order up 20 identical granite statues of a dwarf laughing while an elf makes a plaintive gesture, you can do that now.

And much more, as explained by the ever-entertaining Dwarf Fortress development log.

Here’s something I did not realise until recently: Dwarf Fortress adventure numbers are calculated as a percentage of the total remaining to-do list. That means that as of this version Dwarf Fortress is now 43% complete. Sweet!

From this site

1. chuckieegg says:

DF is much more fun when its about, well, dwarves and fortresses. What is there to get excited about building a shack when you could rebuild Moria? (Though, lets hope the next 57% is a better UI)

Harlander says:

Might as well hope for a pony while you’re at it for all the good it’ll do you.

• Michael Anson says:

Actually, the next thing Toady is working on is 64-bit support.

• BooleanBob says:

Jeez. The user experience was already intimidating for newcomers. Now they’re gonna need three hands just to reach all the buttons.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

By 1.0 you will need an orphanage of hands to handle the buttons when the UI is drawn in the fourth dimension (the play area will still be 2D Asciish).

2. MrFinnishDude says:

This is amazing news!
    I have always had this fascination with building little homes. When I was a kid I used to build these little shacks out of sticks, I would imagine living in them, I would add some little cone cows (huge part of Finnish children’s culture) that I could tend to, just immerse myself in this little house, this little world of my creation.
    This is what I have always looked for in games. I played Minecraft when it was still in early alpha, when no-one had ever heard of it. It immediately clicked with me for this very reason, as I believe to be the case with most people, and the reason for its popularity.
    Dwarf Fortress is a highly immersion dependent game, since it has no graphics, you have to have this level of immersion to truly enjoy it (or if you’re a nerd who just likes simulations and numbers). To be able to live out that “immersion-building-home-fantasy”, inside such an intricately simulated world, it’s like all my dreams have come true.

• Shiloh says:

Have you played UnReal World? I expect you have, but if not, it’s Finnish! And excellent, I should add. It’s part of the reason why DF is sitting unplayed on my PC.

• MrFinnishDude says:

Ah yes, that was also the reason I picked it up. Sadly it doesn’t compare to dwarf for in intricacy, so I ended favoring Dorf-Fort adventure mode instead.

• Shiloh says:

Very little *does* compare to DF for intricacy, does it? But I do enjoy URW – once you build your cellar and your little cabin in the woods, there are few games to beat it.

And because, like DF, it’s a constant work in progress, there are always nice surprises round the corner – the devs are working on a quest system which sounds interesting.

• cosmitz says:

Dude. Try Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead. Get the experimental version with graphical tilesets (has extra options), not the latest stable.

It’s extremely complex and deep. Not in the same way as deep as DF, but it has greater breadth.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I did about the same thing, but I built them with safety matches and Casco glue and when I tired it ended in true Dwarf Fortress and SimCity spirit… And my Finnish-may-he-choke-on-Koskenkorva-and-mämmi-in-a-sauna dad beat me up for playing with fire.

keefybabe says:

It scares me that the worlds most in-depth and complicated game is only 43% feature complete.

• Crocobutt says:

And it’s been 10 years of development already. Another 10 years from now it’ll be around 96% complete?

4. Shiloh says:

I really must get back into DF, it’s been languishing for far too long on my HD.

5. Simon_Scott says:

Vive support?

Harlander says:

I’m pretty amused that you can claim the sites you’ve built as your own by shouting to yourself.

I’m pretty sure that’s how King Roger’s coronation happened in Roger and the Rottentrolls.

• Kaeoschassis says:

That’s the second time in about a year I’ve seen that show referenced on this site. In my adult life thus far, and this is very important, I have never heard mention of it ANYWHERE else. I was beginning to think I’d hallucinated the whole barmy thing. How reassuring.

ANYWAY! Isn’t that more or less how any site has historically been claimed? You stomp in, you optionally plant a flag, you yell. There might be other people present, but by and large you are yelling for your own benefit.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Often it involved murdering the people who had been yelling on the site before you, with aid of people you had yelled really loud to about how it was their duty to aid you because you continued the traditional yelling of your ancestors.

7. HexagonalBolts says:

Question: Did the military ever get sort-of fixed in fortress mode?

There was a point some years ago where it was so buggy and weak that it was impossible to defend yourself against anything without an impenetrable maze of traps. It put me off but I would like to go back.

• frightlever says:

Military hasn’t been looked at for years, but it’s currently adequate. Dwarfs will train, equip (with a bit of micromanagement) and patrol.

The visiting scholars, entertainers and tavern guests are a bit of a retrograde step in fortress mode, as they don’t bring much to the party but require resources and CPU cycles. Also, always vampires.

• jrod says:

I haven’t played in quite a long time, but I remember getting around the military’s shortcomings by building a Danger Room. Basically it is a super dwarf commando boot camp training machine via room full of spike traps. After they have spent a bit of time in it they will murder literally anything that comes near your settlement – from above or below. My favorite quirk of this technique is that you have to train your dwarves naked or they will become fond of and attached to whatever equipment they have on. This presents problems when they are attached to crappy, ineffective gear. Sooooo…naked dwarves locked in a room dodging spears – yeah that’s DF for you.

• RanDomino says:

If you equip them with weapons, they will occasionally use them to parry the spears, which trains their weapon skills.

8. Unicycles says:

Every time I see some news about this game, I just want to download it and try again. This will be the third time I’ve downloaded the game and slapped my head into the brick wall that is Dwarf Fortress.

I have so much respect for this game, and would love to learn it. Here’s hoping third time’s the charm.

• Scripten says:

Instead of going in blind, I’d recommend starting with a newbie pack from the Bay 12 forums. They usually have a number of quality-of-life utilities that can make those first steps much more comprehensible. The game itself isn’t so hard to wrap your head around once you’ve gotten the gist of it down.

• Catsplosion says:

Use the wiki like a bible and if you have the money purchase the o’reilly guide (which now has an update epub version iirc).

Most of us who learnt the game ‘naturally’ learnt it by playing and looking at the wiki but that book help you understand what to build next and how in a straightforward manner. Great for getting to grips with the game.

9. Spacewalk says:

I’d be excited too if I could tell what is going on in that screenshot.

• RanDomino says:

The commas, semicolons, apostrophes, quote marks, and periods are grass. The tildes between downward-pointing triangles are water and the triangles are down-slopes; there’s a stream running through the left side of the picture and another body of water (presumably a pond) on the right edge of the screen. The @’s in the middle are the PC (the white one) and NPCs. The nearby +’s are floors. The triangle pointing upward is an up-slope (a sort of staircase, although stairs also exist). The double-lines are walls.

10. משוגע־סאָפֿע says:

Roguelike radio #121

link to gamesofgrey.com

Sat, April 30, 2016 Episode 121: Simulation
    This is episode 121 of Roguelike Radio, where Mark Johnson, Darren Grey, Tarn Adams and Sami Maaranen discuss Simulation in Roguelikes.aturday, April 30, 2016
    Episode 121: Simulation

Herzog says:

Still my favorite game I will never play.

12. Kaeoschassis says:

It’s been several big DF updates and I’m still waiting for a new succession LP in the vein of the classics. Will Syrupleaf never have the successor it so richly deserves, I wonder.

• timmyvos says:

I think SA just started a new one, so with any luck the next chapter in the glorious history of succession LP’s should start any day now! There’s still the problem of actually playing it and writing it up but that’s the price you pay for free (well, it did cost 10 bucks I guess) entertainment!