Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster On PC This Week

Final Fantasy barely touched PCs for years (well, other than being made with them), but Square Enix have been making up for that. They’re flinging the RPGs at us lately, catching up on the decades with fancied-up ports and remasters. Next in line are 2001’s Final Fantasy X and its 2003 sequel Final Fantasy X-2 [official site], which are finally coming to PC together on Thursday, both fancied up a little.

They’re arriving together as the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster collection, as released for PlayStation 3 and Vita in 2014 then PS4 last year. This news comes via a Steam store page popping up.

Both games are fancied-up in this collection, though they’re remasters not remakes so don’t expect massive changes. I understand it’s a bit prettier, with nicer textures and features like better facial animation, and background music is rearranged a little. They also include ‘boosters’, as Squeenix’s Final Fantasies tend to, with options such as high speed and no random encounters.

Since 2013, Square Enix have (re)released Final Fantasies III, IV, IV: The After Years, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns: XIII, and Type-0 on PC in various ported and revamped forms. Which surely is all leading up to a PC announcement for the upcoming Final Fantasy XV? Please anime boyband roadtrip please, thank you, please.

As for Final Fantasy X itself, I haven’t the foggiest what it’s like. Folks who were consoling back then, what do you make of it? Here, this trailer is from the PS4 port:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Oakreef says:

I’m having a glance at the Steam community discussions (always a mistake) and I’m just baffled by the fact that there’s a thread declaring that it had better be “that’s really all that matters in a port.” It’s a bloody turn-based game :P

Oakreef says:

*it had better be 60 FPS because “that’s all that matters in a port”

How in the name of god did I manage to leave out the key phrase of the entire sentence? I shouldn’t be allowed to post on websites that don’t have an edit button.

• Wormerine says:

30FPS in turnbased games is not a gamebreaker, but I do find to drift away from games which run badly. A good example is XCOM2. I mean I played through it all and started 2nd playthrough. But it feels so sluggish I just don’t enjoy playing it that much even though I like the game itself. I don’t think there is anything wrong in expecting a decent port and good framerate from that game originally build for PS2 and than remastered for PS3. I mean look at Valkyria Chronicles. It is a solid game but OMG the port is so stable, with only minor UI problems. That should be a standard, not exception.

Oakreef says:

I fell through the floor multiple times when trying to use ladders in VC and I thought he KB/Mouse controls were rubbish actually :P

Also I read that if you ran it in 60FPS the interception fire was twice as fast as it was meant to be.

• Wormerine says:

That is interesting. I looked online to comfirm that the interception fire is faster but can’t find anything. I didn’t play on PS3 so can’t compare.

Personally, after 12ve hours of gameplay I didn’t encouter any bugs in it. I do feel menus could use a mouse support but I find it to be a minor problem.

Oakreef says:

perhaps someone was telling porkies

• Cerulean Shaman says:

It’s dependent on the person too. The cruelest ratings for me are gameplay and story, but even then if it’s a good story I’ll push through bad gameplay and vice versa.

Graphics, sound, even rough controls, stuff like these are a very low secondary. Do I want them to be as best as they can be? Of course, but some of my favorite games are still really old school classics that struggle with the secondary issues, but surpass the first two even against today’s games.

XCOM 2 wasn’t even that great in either, imo, but I was also one of those people who didn’t have a single issue or low fps or crash with the game so the game itself was all I judged, not its supposed issues.

• Xerophyte says:

It’s such a weird thing to demand, too. If every lockstep 30 FPS game absolutely must rearchitect their entire engine to run asynchronously before porting to PC then you’re not going to get a lot of ports.

• Magical Pedro says:

hehe being a non-native english speaker I had to read your comment 10 times before deciding “something is wrong, that’s not just me missing the point”, and then only noticing your own reply. An edit function would be so damn good…

• lokimotive says:

I realized you were missing something when I read through it, but I was almost positive it was about 60fps, because kids sure do like to complain about that.

• DantronLesotho says:

It was indeed 60FPS on PS2.

• iviv says:

Except it wasn’t. It’s always been 30fps, the console HD remakes have been 30fps, as is this. All the animation is locked to the framerate, so it can’t simply be doubled to 60, otherwise it would look terrible. Just because the ps2 output at 50/60fps doesn’t mean that’s what the game itself is running at.

2. Cei says:

X is an excellent game, truly. X-2 has an even better battle system, but the setting can be a turn off (girls dress up). However I’d heartily recommend both games.

3. Bullfrog says:

Their neming conventions are making my brain hurt.

4. Eight Rooks says:

X is/was mediocre. Not bad per se, just a straight down the line 5/10 JRPG that sticks rigidly to the playbook and never does anything to distinguish itself either mechanically or narratively. It’s surprising just how much of a nothing it is, really, given the money that went into it. There are PS1 games that hold up much better, even now.

Not played X-2 yet, but the theme/setting doesn’t bother me, at least in theory, and Square Enix’s weird little experiments are quite often much, much better than their mainstream or mass-market franchises.

• GameCat says:

I agree. It’s a solid game but that’s all. Play only if you like jRPGs/FFs and you finished all better games from genre/franchise.

• sfoumatou says:

I don’t really understand what you mean when you say that it sticks rigidly to the playbook. It was one of the first JRPGs to forgo the world map mechanic and replace it with a fully connected (although linear) world, it had a much heavier emphasis on cinematic cutscenes than previous games. Its gameplay is turn-based, with a tool that lets you predict future turns, thus making each single action count (you will die really easily against bosses if you don’t use every single one of your turns very carefully).

Even the setting and themes in the story were very unique at the time, although they’ve been imitated a lot since. The story of FFX certainly isn’t doing anything by the book apart from “band of heroes is fighting evil”.

I mean… I completely understand why FFX is so thoroughly disliked, but I really don’t understand how anyone could fault is as unoriginal.

• DantronLesotho says:

I agree. I can see how some people can dislike the style, but the game is rock solid. I think people complain too much about Final Fantasies even though every single one changes up how it plays from one game to the next on purpose.

• Artea says:

The things you mentioned had already been done long before FFX came out. The Grandia games have a near-identical plot (escorting a maiden that will sacrifice herself to stem off evil), also have turn-based combat with a timer that lets you see enemy turns in advance and are also linear with no world map (the world map in most JRPGS is just an illusion anyway, most of them are entirely linear).

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It was also the first JRPG I am aware of that let you switch characters on the fly with no penalty. This made it feel much more like playing an actual party instead of 3 amazing super-humans… and some other people who are just tagging along.

• Kala says:

I contest this opinion with a counter-opinion!

Mechanically I’d mostly agree, aside from the sphere grid (which you can also see in Path of Exile by the looks of it). If anything, it’s more on rails, as there’s not really a world map.

…Narratively, though? My hot take!:

I don’t think it’s a garden variety hero quest (though it IS a hero quest). Your protagonist waking up in a different world to his own (which was a contemporary/futuristic metropolis i.e non-standard, no castles or princesses), yet finding links between them.

So much of the initial plot progression centres around Tidus’ existential crisis while he grapples with the uncanny (strangely familiar but incongruous) of Spira; what is ‘real’, if he’s in another world or if he’s in the future/past and quite how the two world’s relate. (or if he just bumped his head and dreamt it).

The various themes; critical of institutions of power (corrupt religion), sacrifice/duty/suicide, and masculinity (mainly through the father/son relationship) seem fairly non-standard compared to more straightforward fantasy adventure stories.

Also the ending (spoiler)

Where the protagonist turns out not to be ‘real’ (rather than dreaming Spira, he IS a dream) and the actual hero of the story is Yuna. Tidus is pretty much just there as a prop for her. If that’s not a nice little reversal of certain tropes, I’m not sure what is.

(*cough* I quite liked the story. convoluted and discombobulated and all).

• Artea says:

A religious organization that turns out to be corrupt/evil is one of the most overused JRPG plots, there are probably dozen of JRPGS with that plot that preceded FFx. Being transported to a strange world is also rather unoriginal. Tidus’ insertion in the story feels very ham-fisted, like the execs were afraid of marketing a game with a female protagonist (this is probably what happened). It doesn’t help that this game has some of the most unnatural sounding dialogue in the genre.

X_kot says:

HA HA HA HA HA!

• TheLetterM says:

To be fair, the evil religious organization angle is nowhere near as central to the plot compared to say, Breath of Fire II or Grandia II.

As I understand it, the voice acting was particularly bad in FFX because Squeenix didn’t re-render any of the CG, and so the dialogue and voice-acting had to accommodate the existing lip flaps. Future works like FFX-2 and Kingom Hearts had the CG totally re-rendered to fit the English localization, and were the better for it (I think, I’m not 100% sure FFX-2 was late enough to have been redone). So FFX exists in this weird valley where the CG is just advanced enough to look like real speech, but the words were written to match the CG instead of the other way around.

Not that any of this excuses the dreadful “HA HA HA” scene.

• Kaeoschassis says:

FFX had some iffy voicework in places, admittedly. I personally found I adjusted fairly quickly, and it took on a charm of its own, but I get that not everyone will feel the same way.

On the other hand, everytime somebody brings up a scene where two people act like complete idiots deliberately, because that’s the point, and use it as an example of terrible voicework, I die inside a little more.

• Palladian says:

I agree FFX’s voice acting is of variable quality (it’s true of any Japanese game which is 30+ hours aside from Dark Souls), but the ‘HA HA HA’ is perfect and obviously intentional. In that moment Tidus is deliberately trying to force a laugh at a particularly bleak moment to amuse Yuna – and he succeeds.

Unless the voice director had been actually asleep he would’ve stopped at an earnest laugh delivered so clumsily.

• TheLetterM says:

Fair point. I still remember Yuna’s dialogue as being alternately stilted or rushed but went back and rewatched it and that particular scene wasn’t nearly as stilted as I remember. You’re correct that it’s hardly the worst thing in JRPG’s or in the game itself.

No, that would be the lightning dodging mini-game for Rikku’s ultimate weapon. I think that was responsible for my first realization that, “hey maybe I don’t HAVE to 100% every game.”

• malkav11 says:

Rikku’s the Al Bhed girl/thief archetype, and her ultimate weapon thing is red light green light with cactuars, which I seem to recall wasn’t too terrible. The awful, AWFUL lightning dodging thing was Lulu, the black mage, and yeah, some things just aren’t worth it. Fortunately, it’s not that hard to build Yuna to be able to cast that stuff as well and her ultimate’s way easier to get.

• Kala says:

Yes, but criticising religious institutions isn’t the plot, it’s a theme – amongst other themes mentioned, that yes, in culmination probably means there’s more going on than is average.

Likewise; of course going into another world is a typical trope – say going through a portal in FF tactics advance to, hell, Narnia and beyond. But there’s more to it than simply being a portal to another world – it’s one with enough call backs to his own world to make you question whether it’s another world at all, or his world in the future/past…etc. (everything I said in my post, basically).

Tidus himself is a fairly unorthodox (and to many an unlikeable and annoying) hero figure (aside from ‘not being real’ thing). Given how emotionally vulnerable he frequently is, how difficult he finds everything (and how much he complains along the way). I mean, he’s an adolescent, but one portrayed fairly realistically as it goes.

(I do agree with you on the voice acting, just nothing else).

• Palladian says:

I’m a big fan of X’s narrative, even if the dialogue within it leaves a lot to be desired. For a start you’re really an accomplice to a hero (Yuna) rather than a hero yourself. The disjointed narrative is also a blast, and I really like that for whole sections of the game it’s difficult to tell if Tidus is dreaming or not, and it’s one of the rare pieces of media which manages to cast doubt on the validity of Tidus’ own explanation of his origins – which we actually saw. It’s also extremely introspective for a Final Fantasy game, which I appreciate even when it is at odds with the action of the game.

5. Bull0 says:

First to have voice acting, and it was poorly executed. Moved from open world to pretty much linear. I do not remember this one fondly. Beginning of the bad years for the series in my opinion.

• Jalan says:

Between IX and X (neither of which I finished when they were originally released, though both for very different but somewhat similar reasons) I started to become less infatuated with Final Fantasy overall. I’d had a few friends give me glowing statements about XII (or XIII, I forget which) but I never really made a concentrated effort to play it.

At this point, the one thing I really want from Final Fantasy is a re-release of Tactics on the PC (since it’s one of the only games in the series that I don’t find myself re-examining and disliking and it’s among the few where I played it from start to finish and never once felt bored or disinterested in anything it had going on).

• Unruly says:

Had to be 12. 13 was pretty universally panned, largely because it removed any semblance of an open world and replaced everything with pretty much straight corridors. Or so I remember from all the hate it got. Having not played it myself, I can’t say if it’s true one way or another but the amount of criticism from both news outlets and gamers alike over that issue leads me to believe it’s truth.

12 had its fair share of complaints, but has since gained a bit of a cult following that declares it to be an underappreciated gem. Its removal of random battles drew criticism from long time fans, but more people seem to appreciate it these days. Likewise the battle system had a bit of programmable automation to it, the gambit system, which also drew some criticism, but from what I gather it’s almost exactly the same as what you can do with the tactics system in Dragon Age.

I’m really looking forward to a re-release of 12, on either PC or PS3/4, because I only got to play about 10 minutes of it back when it was first released. I was never able to buy it myself, and while I still have a PS2(or 3, because weird DRE’s for different games on each one), it’s so much easier to use one of my modern systems.

• Ragnar says:

XIII was panned online, certainly. The critical reception overall was actually pretty positive.

XIII was absolutely linear, and didn’t have any mini-games, nor towns to visit or shops to buy from. Instead it had the most fun and exciting combat of any mainline FF game, with a combat system that gradually took away the mindless and repetitive selection of default attacks and replaced it with strategic decisions of party setup and synergy. It took XII’s boring AI combat system and overhauled it to make it fun and exciting. It had boss fights that required strategy and actually using all those defensive accessories that normally gather dust, and the instant-respawn on death meant that you could go right back to the boss fight with a new strategy – it didn’t waste your time having to clear through trash mobs again. Save points every 20-30 minutes were also appreciated. I know XIII gets a lot of internet hate, but it was a blast to play, most fun I’ve had with an FF game since Tactics.

XII, on the other hand, was the most boring, tedious FF game I’ve ever played. Automating the party with gambits meant that I was just sitting back, watching action bars slowly fill and health bars slowly deplete. It had a good story, but it reduced playing the game to watching a Let’s Play video. Some enemies would have so much health that fights would take 10-30 minutes. Clearing a single map would take 2 hours. It wasn’t clear at all what was going on in combat – the final boss fight was a repeating cycle of 2 minutes of everyone at full health followed by 10 seconds of panic as everyone inexplicably dropped to nearly dead. Yes, the maps and levels were open, but rarely held anything interesting or exciting to reward your exploration. The dungeon at the end with 2-3 hours between save points was simply awful. And I really disliked the leveling system where you either blindly pick upgrades to unlock, hoping that they’re useful, or just look up a guide. By the end, every character had every ability, every spell, and could wear every armor and wield almost every weapon. It was all so boring.

6. SMGreer says:

Yeah, X was pretty much where the series started to go downhill. Still a relatively good and interesting game but there’s plenty in it that’ll make you cringe.

7. Wormerine says:

I am not sure if I can handle voiceacted Final Fantasy. Bad writing is much more acceptable if you can just skim through it.

8. malkav11 says:

My favorite game in the whole series (though I conceivably might prefer XII if I spent more time with it – it just came along after I was no longer possessed of the kind of time that let me finish long JRPGs). Proper (not “active”) turn-based combat with mid-combat party switching so there was an actual point to having more than three characters. Absolutely stunning cutscenes (at least at the time). Not pretending to be open world by letting you wander around lost even though there was only ever one way forwards. Etc.

9. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I’m not a huge fan of X. The world is fairly well thought-out and the game is legitimately challenging, but it is excessively linear and relies far too much on mind-numbingly tedious mini-games to acquire late game gear. The International Version included in the HD collection is even worse, as it sprinkles unavoidable super bosses around the game world after a certain point, effectively locking you out of certain areas if you don’t put in the dozens of hours of grinding and mini-gaming necessary to defeat them.

X-2, however, is in my top three Final Fantasies. It has a much lighter, even silly tone, but it still proceeds logically from the conclusion of the first game. The battle system is one of the series’ best, and it has a unique spin on the job system that works tremendously well. The game is also structured so that it’s 80%+ sidequest, and has a NG+ (a first for the series?) that resets your party’s level to 1 so you don’t steamroll everything even though you have all your abilities, gil, and equipment. It’s an engaging, fun JRPG that stands in stark contrast to the increasingly dour and linear mainline entries in the franchise.

• Jalan says:

The chocobo race to acquire Tidus’ Celestial weapon was where I bid farewell to the game. I got irritated failing to win the race and eventually consulted the internet for advice. Once I realized that just obtaining the sword wouldn’t be enough and that I’d need to power it up to see full benefit from it I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle to potentially repeat the same thing for each character and stopped playing the game entirely.

10. Amake says:

I used to love FFX when I was younger. Still have a bit of a soft spot for it, with its sincere but bland love story, spectacular but nonsensical art direction, striking character and plot concepts that don’t really go anywhere and its combat system that engages with its possibilities for strategy and character development until you solve it.

Anyone who’s either under 23 years old or has played less than six videogame RPGs is probably the ideal audience.

11. lokimotive says:

So are they going to port XII? For whatever reason that seems to be the forgotten game in the franchise for me. I couldn’t tell you anything about it. Even after I look it up and see the promo artwork I’m like, nope never seen it before.

• DantronLesotho says:

It’s because that one was done by a different team than normal. That game is extremely good though, minus the endgame story points. I sunk 250 hours into it without even thinking, and enjoyed every minute. HOWEVER. There is also the Zodiac spear fiasco, which was the Horse Armor moment of its day. Hopefully they fix that if they re-release it.

12. Unruly says:

Seriously, the best FF minigame ever. I sank so many hours into it, building up a perfect team, getting everyone’s best moves, and playing it some more. Even when I was steamrolling and winning by 10 points or more each game I still had fun.

I wish it was a real sport.

X_kot says:

Hey, someone else who enjoyed blitzball! I fondly remember playing season after season…all while the airship was under attack.

There’s actually a football game on Steam that is very reminiscent of blitzball, called Football Tactics. It’s Early Access, but the dev is very active.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Tecmo Cup Soccer on the NES is almost identical.

13. person678 says:

I adore X, but I admit I may be biased as I played it when I was 8 and it blew my young mind, not knowing what big budget non-kiddie games were like.

14. Bobcat says:

Finally signed up to comment just to say that FFX is my favourite game of all time. I think this is because it was the game that made me really into video games. I realised that games didn’t have to just be mechanics, they could tell fantastic stories (I was a kid, I could easily overlook some of the clichés and *that* laughing scene). The music and visuals are beautiful, even holding up quite well today. The combat is my favourite of all FF games – you can easily plan ahead because it shows you the turn order, which is affected by speed so that you can even get multiple turns before the enemy.

Already have it on PS2 emulator, but will probably be buying this and replaying it over the summer.

“This is it. This is you story.” :D

15. Bobtree says:

I hated FFX. The combat is good, ok dungeon crawling, everything else is unbearable. Buyer beware.

16. Gordon Shock says:

This is good news, FF7 is the last one I played because not long after that I switch to PC gaming exclusively.

FF10 came around I was in awe for it’s gorgeous setting, visual and sense of style, and thus really regretted not having a console.

Now, will I have time to invest in a big scale RPG, that’s another matter entirely…

17. PikaBot says:

FFX is an odd duck. It’s got a really solid combat system, and the sphere grid is cool (although actually, if you unfold it from its convoluted shape it turns out it’s pretty much just a line), but the game is even more of a corridor than FFXIII and it was made in the early days of full voice acting for Square, so a lot of the integration and direction there is awkward.

The oddest part of it, though, is the story. I absolutely love the world and backstory to this game. It has some really cool ideas going on. But as a story, it’s told in the most bizarrely ass-backwards way imaginable and doesn’t really work.

Overall: worth playing, but pretty sharply flawed.

• Zekiel says:

Counterpoint: I loved the story. It was personal; it was moving; it was full of interesting twists. The way it was told was novel – much of it was flashback from the opening campfire scene. I found it really, really interesting.

18. Kaeoschassis says:

Ehh, can’t pretend this comments section isn’t what I expected. I’m not going to lie, it hurts a little to see a game I adore so much be received so poorly overall. But hey, not everything is for everyone, what can you do.

I never actually played X-2, though! I’m honestly not expecting great things from it, but if I’m getting it thrown in when I get a pc copy of X, may as well play it. If nothing else, I did always like the job/ability system, which I assume X-2’s system is based off?

• Palladian says:

I adored FFX too, and it makes me sad to see people drawing direct lines between the weird, silly, delightful FFX and the legitimately tedious FFXIII.

I’ve also never played X-2, and it’s been too long since I played X so I might have to pick this up.

• PikaBot says:

I’m the only one in this comment thread who brought up XIII, and I was only talking about one specific aspect of the game: that the game is a corridor. Which it is. In all other respects, yes, X is much better than XIII.

• malkav11 says:

I’ve never understood the complaints about linearity in either game. Which other Final Fantasy game (other than maybe X-2) is some sort of player-directed open world quest? I haven’t played every single one, but I’ve played at least a bit of every SNES FF, beaten all of the PSX FF games and of course finished FFX and played X-2 and XII. I never saw any reason to depart from the critical path in any game that let you do so prior to the point that FFX opens up as well. But I certainly did my share of wandering around lost because I couldn’t figure out what I needed to do to keep progressing the story in those earlier games, something which was never an issue in FFX.

• PikaBot says:

When does FFX open up? It’s a pretty straight line from beginning to end. At the very end of the game you do unlock the ability to RETURN to previous points on the line, but it never ‘opens up’ as such.

Of course all Final Fantasy games do have one path of progression with a linear story, but only X and XIII are straight up a corridor for the whole game long. The other games give you the option to go to other places and do other things, even if there’s only one direction to go for progression.

• Ragnar says:

Exactly, I’ve made the same argument. All the FF games are basically linear, they all require you to go from point A to point B to advance the story.

Yes, most of them let you go slightly off the path and let you kill or be killed by random mobs for a bit until you get bored and decide to come back to the path, but they’re not open the way Bethesda games are open. They’re certainly not open the way Chrono Trigger is. They just let you put the plot on hold for a bit so you can grind or die trying, or possibly get lost. I had to give up on FF VII because I couldn’t, for the life of me, figure out how to get to the next place I needed to go to advance the plot.

I don’t see the appeal behind the illusion of freedom.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Wholeheartedly agreed. By ‘sacrificing’ the freedom that Final Fantasy usually pretends to have, X was able to focus entirely on the journey, which was at the absolute centre of its narrative. I adored it for that. I’m not really hating on the older FFs for not doing that – they did have the occasional bonus dungeon or hidden bit that justified their semi-open worlds, and they were quite good at that in their way – but X will always be special to me for how well it portrays that “linear” journey from start to finish.

• malkav11 says:

Once FFX gives you the ability to go between areas (I believe you’ve acquired an airship) on your own rather than because the story requires it, then it has opened up as much as any Final Fantasy game ever does. It does this to give you free reign to pursue various means of powering yourself up for the endgame and (more importantly), the much tougher optional bosses.

As far as I know, there’s never been any actual reason to step off the story path before the similar endgame powerup stage in other Final Fantasy games, so I remain confused why the ability to get lost and encounter more incessant bloody random encounters is apparently prized among a certain set. Am I wrong?

• Ragnar says:

I also adored X, and looking up reviews for it we weren’t the only ones – 92 on Metacritic.

And yet I also had an absolute blast playing XIII. Most fun I’ve had with a mainline FF game. Absolutely loved its combat system.

XII was the tedious one for me. Good story, but the most boring combat of any FF game I’ve played. Some trash mobs would take 30 minutes to kill, and flying units were an exercise in watching bars slowly fill up for each attack. It was like a single-player MMO.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I imported FFX-2 from the states (complete with the usual crap US cover art) and was pretty disappointed. The tone is changed completely from FFX with a bunch of more slapstick and ambiguous-sexuality comedy. Also the girls became celebrity j-pop stars for some reason. The style is more like an anime aimed at early teen girls.

• Unruly says:

Well, when you’re the savior of the world, what else are you going to do but start a J-Pop group? Especially when your boyfriend disappeared, because he was essentially born from Sin, who you totally destroyed.

Sure, the power vacuum you created by destroying the world religion(and their World Ending Threat) that kept everyone from tearing each others’ throats out has caused widespread warfare as two sides vie to fill the void, but hey, you’re not Kissinger, you’re Jesus.

• Ragnar says:

I loved FFX too. It wasn’t perfect, but at the time I thought it was great.

X-2 was actually pretty fun. The job class system was great, and being able to change jobs mid-combat gave you a lot of options.

19. Ragnar says:

I loved FFX.

It had a great turn-based combat system where you could see upcoming turns and plan accordingly, thus allowing for strategic play. And the visuals at the time were fantastic, particularly the CG intro that led seamlessly into the first combat.

And it had Blitzball, the only truly worthwhile mini-game I’ve ever encountered. I loved playing it, recruiting players, building up my team, etc.

My biggest complaint about X was the Behemoths at the end that would wipe out my party upon their deaths. By the time I leveled up enough to survive their death AoE, I was completely overleveled for the final boss.

I played about half way through X-2 and thought it was pretty fun. The game got a lot of hate at the time for featuring female protagonists who changed costumes for each class – derided as playing “pretty princess dress up”. How times and sensibilities have changed since then.

I remember it had a good combat system, a lovely job class system, and the ability to change class mid-combat (probably inspiring XIII’s class changing system). I think the story was rather lackluster, with the combat and job system being the main draw for playing it.