Steam Top 10: The Stars Your Destination

Well, more accurately it’s The Souls Your Destination, but Dark Souls III being a chart-topper is old news now. This week’s Steam shaker-upper is Paradox’s intergalactic grand strategy title Stellaris – but one of PC gaming’s oldest men takes up residence in the top ten too.

Last week, Dark Souls was mostly a mystery to me. This week, it is almost all I think about. I am deep into the first game, having decided to do things from the start before returning to III. Please believe me, I am an inept and fearful gamer, but even I found a way into Dark Souls and now the scales have fallen from my eyes. Believe.

This might just be the Doom series’ first Steam chart placement, right? I have no opinion on the game itself yet, though I believe I’m handling the review. However, I am extremely angry at it because in having the same name as its noble forebear, it totally screws with RPS’ tagging system. Anyway, this is here based on pre-orders alone, which I’m slightly surprised by given apparent online reception to betas and whatnot has been divided.

3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Counter-Strike only remains here because lead developer Ian Counter-Strike has obtained a copy of a Gabe Newell sex tape, which he threatens to make public unless the charts are massaged to included a top ten placement every week until the end of time.

4. Battleborn

I’ve a sneaking suspicion that Gearbox’s “FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Battleborn Heroes” would be riding an awful lot higher had Blizzard’s ostensibly similar but more internet-stimulating Overwatch not been so imminent. That, by the way, is not in the charts because Blizzard resolutely refuse to sell their stuff via Steam – too much money to be made from direct sales, y’see.

5. Stellaris

And here’s Paradox, one time masters of the niche, with another crossover hit on their hands to follow up Cities: Skylines. The space-set grand strategy game has seemingly caught the attention of people who don’t play Crusader Kings, and our Adam is mostly in love with it. I’ll be dropping in, perhaps for a diary series, this week, presuming I can somehow break my Souls habit.

6. Star Wars Collection

In honour of Mode 7 Day, there were assorted Star Wars discounts on Steam – this pack includes most of the shooters, plus the KOTOR series, so was probably more appealing to the slavering hordes than the more simulatory Classics Collection. It was down from £75 to £18 last week, hence the chart placement.

7. Total War: WARHAMMER

Still here on pre-orders alone, and that’s despite the revelation that the playable Chaos faction would now be available to anyone who bought the game up to a week after release, rather than just speculative purchasers, as was controversially the case at first.

8. Grand Theft Auto V

I dunno, there was probably a thing. Like a car or an event or something. But mostly it’s here because GTA, innit.

9. ARK: Survival Evolved

10. Stellaris

I think – but I’m not sure, because dammit Jim I’m a games blogger not a statistician – that this is the £41 Nova edition, which includes an extra alien race, as well as a soundtrack. But there’s also a £51 Galaxy Edition which has some ebooks and stuff too; we all know that Young People today don’t read anything that isn’t a sext, so I doubt this is that version, though.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Ericusson says:

I wonder if the list is independently controlled by anyone else but Steam.
    The Doom preorders, how, why ?!>

• dethtoll says:

‘Cuz some of us pre-ordered.

• Arathorn says:

It’s not that surprising. Lots of people seem to hate on something, then buy it anyway, clock 100+ hours and hate on it again. Of course there are plenty of really enthusiastic Doom fans out there who expect it to be great. Finally, though nobody at RPS seems to be enthusiastic about it, plenty of people on the internet seem to like it.

• syndrome says:

why do you think it’s the same people?
        why I’m always hearing this “people whine about sth, then buy it regardless.”

why isn’t the most logical explanation that those who bought it didn’t whine at all? that they actually haven’t shared their feelings about it?

why is it so hard to believe that a game is simply CONTROVERSIAL, spurring debates among those who like to compare apples to oranges and then talk about it, or those who simply frequent the forums in order to criticize their own bad taste.

the world is always a shitty place when there is something ‘wrong’ with it. by whose reference point? is it even possible to have it perfect? how do we grow then? what do we learn?

there is no bad publicity and this is why certain IPs are worth millions, regardless of the particular game’s perceived quality/ethics/[insert profound context], and why we can’t have too many nice (bold or different if not entirely novel) things.

everything has to be a franchise from a certain perspective, and everything has to be something people talk about even though we cognitively know this en-masse opinion is most likely irrelevant or inaccurate.

imho, paradoxically

Qazinsky says:

I think the notion that people complain and then play it anyway is based on this good old screenshot from Modern Warfare 2 Boycott steam group: link to

That being said, I agree with your reasoning that most people that complain about a game don’t buy it.

Commenters are a very vocal minority in a sea of gamers.

• Arathorn says:

Honest question: did you read my post past the second sentence?

• Ksempac says:

Stop the conspiracy theory.

They have absolutely no reason to lie about it, that chart is for consumers to find stuff that they might want to buy too. Whatever sells is good for Steam, they have no incentive to promote one title other another.

People preorders because people like preordering title they are hyped about, even if it usually doesn’t make rational sense to preorder at full price without waiting for reviews. Humans are not rational creatures.

• derbefrier says:

Why? Because it looks fun. I know the default position of most commenters here is cynicism and doubt. But most gamers are not so jaded and are able to fund joy in thier hobby.

Qazinsky says:

I think that’s also the healthier approach, to look forward to games you’d like to play, rather than look down on things you don’t.

Don’t get me wrong, criticizing things you don’t like about things you do like is a good thing, when you actively dislike the whole thing, maybe it would be better to just avoid it?

Otamono says:

I preordered because i just want to play the new Doom as soon as possible.

Normally i spend time searching for sales and wager the good vs the bad for every Game that is interesting. But with the new Doom, i wanted a ticket for the Hypetrain and everything rational is now irrelevant.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

“it totally screws with RPS’ tagging system”

Doom 2016? New Doom? Doom: This one isn’t as good as the old one?

Ericusson says:

The Brutal Doom RPS put forward a few weeks ago made my day and GOG’s wallet.

• Kaeoschassis says:

It always makes MY day to see another player get into (or in some cases back into) classic Doom. Hope you get many entertaining hours out of it. I whole-heartedly encourage you to browse around because there are a frankly overwhelming number of mapsets, mods and conversions and you will not be getting bored anytime soon.

The yearly Cacowards pages link to are a great place to look if you’re interested, or you could check out the zdoom or doomworld forums, or just google around.

phuzz says:

DelrueOfDetroit says:

36 Double-Doom.

• Apologised says:

Doom: The Next Generation

keefybabe says:

You just made me want to re-read some Alfred Bester.

• Carra says:

Ah, I thought I’d be the only one seeing the Alfred Bester reference (and the only one having read the book).

• DrZhark says:

Alfred Bester is my all time favorite sci-fi author, followed closely by Iain Banks. I re-read Bester’s books every now and then. Time to go back to Jaunt/Tiger!

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Was going to say I love how often this book (my probable favourite ever) gets referenced on this site.

4. Tony M says:

This reboot thing is becoming so common, we need a standard naming convention when talking about them. RPS is one of the few places that might have the influence to kick one off into common usage.

My proposal. Just add a letter. So this is DOOM B1
    If you marketers don’t want alpha-numeric codes ruining your game titles, then stop doing stupid meaningless reboots.

• IshuTwar says:

Or a sub-title “the reboot”. mmmh, on a second thought that can become confusing with all the other sub-titles.
      Like “Doom – the reboot – the movie – the game – the reboot”

• The Petulant Platypus says:

Vaguely reminiscent of Moonboots of the 80’s, will the DOOMBOOT be superior, inferior to or just a pale imitation of the original?

IJC says:

“Doom – No Subtitle”

• thelastpointer says:

My proposal: DOOMFACE

(sorry, I had to)

• Hedgeclipper says:

how about reDoom?

5. IshuTwar says:

CS:GO is permanently in the steam charts because all those VAC-banned hackers and smurfs have to re-buy the game.

6. Unsheep says:

Yes, but how many will actually finish Dark Souls 3 ? Big trendy games will always cause impulse buying with the mainstream.

Any multiplayer FPS is guaranteed to attract attention, so it’s no surprise to see both Doom and Battleborn there. I’m surprised that media is so surprised.

Stellaris will be really popular up until people realize that it plays exactly like any other 4x space game.

Star Wars is Star Wars, this franchise spans so many genres there’s bound to be a Star Wars game for everybody.

• UncleLou says:

“Yes, but how many will actually finish Dark Souls 3 ? ”

Probably more than *I* thought, at least. I am (only) nearly finished and compared global achievements the other day. Nearly 50% had beaten bosses deep in or even after what I’d say is the middle of the game. That is an impressive statistic for any game on Steam – most of the time, 20% have not even started the game, and a further 50% seem to have given up in the first couple of house.

Also, ” lead developer Ian Counter-Strike has obtained a copy of a Gabe Newell sex tape” made me smirk here while I tried my best not to laugh.

• Sakkura says:

Except for the fact that Stellaris doesn’t play like any other 4X space game.

7. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I decided to try the dark souls series with 3. Christ-ing Nora, so bloody hard!!! I beat the stupid tutorial guy (index?), and now I’m stuck on a normal fucking mob! There’s a guy that transforms in a similar way to Index and he rapes me every time.

This may or may not be the end of the dark souls series to me; I find the method of playing it a combination of trial and error, along with luck, and hoping that I’m lucky enough not to get completely obliterated by an errant swinng.

I’ve been playing ori and the blind forest, which I find to be a refreshing challenge, which achieves difficulty by smart level design, as opposed to big hairy dudes that bum you if your hitbox is even remotely in the same village as them.

• tiltaghe says:

the mutating black things in DS3 really are not the standard mob behavior. Their swings fire too quickly with almost no preparation animation to telegraph it.

• exile2k4 says:

I realise hordes of people telling you how great Dark Souls is can be annoying, but for what it’s worth I’ve really enjoyed the whole series and finished all of them, despite not being particularly good at them. While they are difficult at times, I think some good general advice if you get stuck at any point is to try either changing your tactics, running past the problem or simply going a different way for a while. There are often deadly opponents early in the game that are meant to be a problem you can come back to later.

If it’s the one I’m thinking of, the specific mob you have a problem with can be killed quickly before it changes, or is vulnerable to fire (pyromancy, fire bombs) after it’s changed, and you can also just run straight past it and climb down the ladder to escape it.

Hope you give it another try sometime and find some fun from the games!

bsplines says:

It’s weak to fire, so use either firebombs or pyromancy. You can even go back up the ladder where it can’t reach you.
      Alternatively, just run past it. the transformation sequence is slow and you have plenty of time to just run away.

• Smoof says:

Not every monster in Dark Souls (aside from bosses, most of the time), needs to be killed or needs to be killed in the way you might think.

Either run past that dude on the roof, or book it towards him and cut him down before he transforms. Whenever you think Dark Souls is getting the best of you, step back for a spell and think about other methodologies.

8. Frosty says:

Pah, Peppa Pig. Not a bad show but clearly they really hit their stride when they created Ben and Holly’s Little Kingdom. Without a hint of irony I can honestly say I love watching that one with the kiddo, it’s so damned funny.

Oh, right. Charts eh? Cor. Look at all that money floating around. Cor.

Just imagine a world where Valve somehow got Blizzard onside with Steam. That’d be interesting.

9. DD says:

Don’t forget about Demons Souls. Its definitely worth playing. Some still prefer it to any of the Dark Souls games.

• Chorltonwheelie says:

And don’t forget David Soul’s “Don’t Give Up On Us” with the absolute beast of a B side “Black Bean Soup”.

10. Gordon Shock says:

Is Steam top 10 global or does it reflect the best selling games in your region?

I am in Canada and our top 10 is completely different

link to

• jasonisme84 says:

This is confusing me as well, because in the UK for me the top three are Stellaris, Total War: Warhammer and Doom.

11. Zenicetus says:

FYI, the Nova edition of Stellaris doesn’t actually include an extra alien race, at least not the way you’d normally think of it as an extra “faction.” It’s just a single avatar image of a spider-thing, added to all the other avatars in the Arthropoid group. It will still get randomized stats, unless you use the image for a custom species.

Spending extra for that single avatar image seems to be basically an “I want to support Stellaris and Paradox” option.

12. StAUG says:

How is there anyone left that wants to play Counter Strike but doesn’t already own it?

• Chorltonwheelie says:

It sometimes sweeps through schools. I was surprised when my lad asked for it but all his pals had suddenly jumped from Minecraft to CS.

• tormos says:

people also get banned from it pretty frequently and have to rebuy it. There was just a VAC wave of bannings a few weeks ago and I wouldn’t be surprised if people are buying it again now.