Monster Throwdown: Gigantic Lands Publisher

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC [official site]

THEY’VE SNAPPED IT UP.

Which is good news because I’m into the idea of a 5v5 multiplayer game where each team charges into battle accompanied by a hundred-foot monster.

Gigantic, to briefly recap, is a third-person class-based shooter and not a MOBA, okay – no lanes, no towers, no creep waves, not a MOBA, okay. Each team is joined on the battlefield by a colossal Guardian, and their objective is to destroy the enemy’s Guardian. Characters level up and gain new abilities during rounds but no, it’s not a MOBA – seriously, you’ve got to let this go. Maybe you read Pip’s interview with Gigantic creative director James Phinney, who you might remember as co-creator and designer of StarCraft and former lead designer of Guild Wars.

What’s new here is that F2P publishers Perfect World Entertainment have made friends with Gigantic, seemingly saving it from financial troubles. Developers Motiga announced a “significant” round of “temporary” layoffs in February, leaving Gigantic’s future uncertain while they tried to secure funding. Welp, now Gigantic is sitting pretty enough that Motiga are planning a regular Windows version in addition to Windows 10, which sounds good.

Here’s a Gigantic trailer from a few months ago, a condensed six-minute version of one match. This is the first actual gameplay I’ve seen, and while it’s not quite the all-out monster rumble I’d hoped for I am still up for this:

A BIG BIG LOVE

A BIG BIG LOVE

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Feculator says:

Wow man. You guys used the wrong title on Twitter. Also, the NDA on the beta was lifted around february, so gameplay footage has been available for nigh-on half a year.

/watch?v=CQ_s12Vl0gc

2. FreeTom says:

You know what’s better than The Pixies? Nope, me neither.

3. Author X says:

I played in the beta, and I have to say I really enjoyed it though I didn’t play the later versions (it was closed for a bit for major revamps and I didn’t notice it had re-opened to the closed beta players until they were shutting it down again).

(Most of) the characters were very fun to play and had really great personality and design, easily on par with Overwatch, though they weren’t as fleshed out what with it being in development. The matches themselves tended to drag on a bit when the teams were unbalanced and while it did feel nice to run around shooting other players and summoning or attacking creatures, it was all a bit unfocused and eventually came down to a “final showdown” where everything you did previously just gave one side or the other a head start on the showdown. As I recall, it was the objectives and summons and etc that they were revamping, so maybe that was greatly improved after I stopped playing.

When I was playing, I was actually expecting it to come out soon, and from what I gathered the developers were expecting to as well, but they ran into some kind of roadblocks and were delayed significantly. I really hope this deal helps the game get to a full release, as I would really like to give it another go. I may even grit my teeth through freemium-style character locks and advancement. After all, that’s what you have to put up with for most MOBAs.

4. Zankman says:

Paragon, Paladins, Battleborn and Overwatch… I knew that I forgot one game that was “in that same mold” (albeit that may be inaccurate to say).

Hm… Does “Lawbreakers” count too?

Anyway, this game has a really cute art style and some interesting character designs.

• kwyjibo says:

You’ve forgotten the probably cancelled Battlecry, and Atlas Reactor, the game no one has heard of.

• Phenomen says:

@kwyjibo Atlas Reactor is turn-based tactics and has no similarities to MOBAs / Hero shooters.

• soundofsatellites says:

The thing is, overwatch feels pretty much like a TF 3 or something. Much more push/defend oriented, than lane/pushing and xp gaining.

The Almighty Moo says:

I was so glad that the end of this article conformed that that was a pixies reference and I wasn’t just going spare.

• Ross Angus says:

And now I’ll have to spend the whole day listening to their back catalogue.

6. Freud says:

It looks fun and fast paced, but it feels like the majority of multiplayer games die a quick game these days. Too much competition. Even good games struggle to have a healthy player base after a couple of months.

• Loam says:

The key, I guess, is to be able to survive even at lower population levels, whether in terms of matchmaking or moneymaking or whatever-have-you.

7. bunionbell says:

Interesting that I too caught the initial reference, even though that’s not the correct lyric, and neither is what I’ve always thought it to be, which the final words of the article have confirmed. Yes, quite interesting.

8. a very affectionate parrot says:

Hopefully this means it will stop being W10 exclusive…
    Also hopefully i’ll stop whining about W10 exclusives in rps comments.

• Author X says:

Yes, the full announcement specifies, “That’s right; we’re developing a version of the game that will be playable on every 64-bit Windows operating system. This version will be made available through Perfect World’s Arc games platform, which is available on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10”

If I were to speculate, I’d guess they were sticking to Windows 10 initially as a condition to using a Microsoft online backend (using Xbox Live accounts, cross-platform play, etc), and now that they’re using Perfect World’s platform that condition no longer applies.

• a very affectionate parrot says:

Awesome! Although I’ve heard Perfect World don’t have the best reputation, platform exclusivity on PC is a ridiculous notion unless it’s using something that can only be done with a certain OS.

9. gwathdring says:

I was enjoying the beta and properly participating with bug reports and balance discussions and stuff but I hadn’t quite found my footing in the game so I’m not sure whether I’d recommend it or not; they slapped on the Windows 10 exclusivity partway through beta and that was the end of that.

Glad to hear they’re done with that nonsense! We’ll see how it turns out. :)

10. ersetzen says:

That is great news, definitely my favorite of the new not-moba shooter wave. It is weird how a bunch of elements I usually don’t really like come together to make a really fun game.

Anyway, bit concerned that Perfect World will push it into a money grabbing direction. Probably not p2w as such because the gameplay really doesn’t lend itself to that but possibly ridiculously grindy. Especially because the monetization during closed beta was interesting but also fair to the point of possibly not being sustainable.

• Loam says:

There wasn’t any monetization during closed beta — do you just mean that the free progression system was too fair/usable to push people into buying unlocks with actual money? If so, well… let me tell you, there were definitely people complaining it was too slow and grindy even then. Folks are good at being impatient. I guess the question is whether they will be impatient enough and in “sustainable” enough quantities.

Remember that skins are also going to be a monetization point, though — I guess since the bought currency (gems) is also earnable in-game without paying, you could still buy skins without using legal tender, but at least during the 24/7 beta period, gem earning was a LOT slower than crown earning. And of course we don’t know what changes Motiga might make to the progression system, or to the paid-currency system.

• ersetzen says:

The main currency earning was probably in the same order of magnitude to league in terms of play time ~ heroes, with slightly less emphasis on wins and more on the hearth stone style quest system.

Thing is that you can actively complete up to 7 quests at once and with bought currency. Thing is that that also makes you level your account quickly which gives you a constant bought for currency stream which lets you keep 7 quests active at all times.o

Not a major issue in the large scheme of things but it effectively broke the whole balancing and some of the more active players unlocked everything in under a week or so.