EA’s Star Wars Plans: Battlefront II, Visceral & Respawn

Electronic Arts CFO Blake Jorgensen had several Star Wars games to discuss during an earnings call yesterday. I’m not entirely sure how an earnings call works but I imagine if you keep mentioning Star Wars games that your company is publishing at some point in the near future, everyone is happy.

“How many Star Wars will there be Mr Jorgensen, and when can we expect them?”

“Many and soon.”

Wild applause breaks out in the boardroom.

There weren’t many details about the three upcoming games that have studios attached, but Jorgensen says there will be one Star Wars game a year from EA, for the next three or four years. As it is in the multiplex, so it shall be on the Origin storefront. As far as specifics go, we learned that Star Wars: Battlefront 2, featuring “content” from “the new movies”, will be out next year (either fiscal or calendar), while the following year will be home to the game from Dead Space devs Visceral.

Rumours about that game have been swirling around the internet – depending who you believe it’s a third-person open world RPG or a more conventional third-person action game. We’ll stick with third-person because Visceral aren’t only bringing their Dead Space pedigree to the table, they’ve also hired Amy Hennig, known for her work on the Uncharted series. I’m hoping for tactical lightsaber dismemberment. And quips.

No timeframe was provided for the release of Titanfall studio Respawn’s Star Wars game, but it might well be the third in the annual release schedule. By that point, I expect to have my own real life spaceship. Stig Asmussen, formerly lead designer on God of War 3 and now a game director at Respawn, is quite excited about working in the Star Wars universe:

We’ll be making a third-person action/adventure game set in the Star Wars universe.

Now, I understand on the surface this might sound a bit dry, but developing a game within the ever-expanding Star Wars universe opens up so many paths for us to go down, and an unparalleled playground to design within. We have already planted the seeds by assembling a small, but incredibly talented team, ready for the amazing journey that lies ahead. With this in mind we are looking to expand the dream.

It’s possible that one or more of these games won’t come to PC and it’s also possible that the next Star Wars film will be so bad that all future Star Wars media will be cancelled immediately. Admittedly, that’s unlikely, particularly given what Star Wars has already survived, but it’s impossible to predict the future.

Personally, I just hope we’ll see more than swipey, shooty action games. Give me a digital adaptation (or extension of) Star Wars: Rebellion.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Dilapinated says:

A PR representative for EA asked the assembled press “What do you want..?”

Lakshmi says:

I’d give you Vir’s answer but it’d seem unnecessarily harsh. (Still the best answer to that question).

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I can never see “Vir” without thinking of Londo shouting names.

MISter GariBALdi!

2. Jp1138 says:

…Personally, I just hope we’ll see more than swipey, shooty action games. Give me a digital adaptation (or extension of) Star Wars: Rebellion…

But link to store.steampowered.com :..( How about some kind of remake of the original Rebellion?

Lakshmi says:

I would play the hell out of that. I still think of it as Supremacy though, I think that’s what it was called in the UK.

• Kabukiman74 says:

A Rebellion remake would be great. In my opinion that game captured the central components of Star Wars – epic space battles (albeit very ugly) and galactic strategy while at the same time offering clandestine operations (like blowing up a death star shield). The only thing that really hurt the game back then was the really, and when I say really I mean really, really, really, really ugly space combat (and this is coming from someone who grew up in the Atari VCS 2600 era).

• Jp1138 says:

Space combat looked great on paper: true 3D field of battle, fighters, capital ships, etc… in reality, it was bad. Not just ugly, but strange in the way it worked, or at least I remember it that way. But a modern remake could amend all those things.

distantlurker says:

ima just gonna leave this +1 right here.

3. Blackcompany says:

I’m thinking sad MP only shooter clone, with Star Wars skins (again), then Open World RPG with dated, 10 year old MMO combat, followed by a Battlefield clone with Star Wars skins.

Hate to be so negative, but based on the EA track record…safe bets.

Philopoemen says:

SWTOR is a strange beast as it survived the Disney transition and wipe of All That Came Before, but as it progresses it loses its core Star Wars links as it slowly becomes it’s own thing.

You’d have to think it was on borrowed time, but it just keeps plugging along

4. Volcanu says:

A digital adaptation of Star Wars:Rebellion?

Isn’t the boardgame more or less a board game adaptation of the game…called…um…Star Wars:Rebellion (or Supremacy to us in the UK)?

It was clunky as hell mind you, so an updated version would be cool

Philopoemen says:

Rebellion was awesome, once you got rid of the heroes, and it was about the guerilla war and counter-insurgency writ large.

• Goateh says:

The board game is actually very different, despite the apparent similarities. The Rebels are playing for time, not capturing Coruscant, and the game is much more about guerilla warfare than big fleets. For a game with lots of dudes on a map it’s got very little large scale combat. The Imperials have a huge force advantage and instead struggle to deploy it in the right places while the Rebels are simply delaying the armies and probes as much as possible.

5. WeeMadAndo says:

Sierra cancelling the Babylon 5 game remains one of the greatest injustices.

• Werthead says:

Especially cancelling it when it was apparently 95% done and they’d already recorded live-action video segments for it featuring the B5 cast. Sigh.

• iainl says:

Franke’s score was complete as well, and was pretty great. Such a loss.

On a different note, I assume it was too soon for the EA execs to explain how umpty-thrumpty Star Wars games was a route to guaranteed profit when Disney have just shuttered their entire videogames division on account of how much they’ve lost on their “Skylanders, but with Star Wars” thing?

• Phinor says:

I remember that Babylon 5 project well. Internet was still relatively new thing and news trickled in slow. It might be the first game I was anticipating for months if not years, waiting to hear anything about the development and release date. There was talk about Newtonian flight model and everything (well, the few pictures that were released) looked great. Then out of the blue it was cancelled but there was also hope that someone else might pick it up, it was basically ready anyway or so we were told. So ready that some tracks of the soundtrack even became available. Still have those MP3 files to this day. Obviously no one picked up that project. Boohoo. Freespace 2 helped a bit, it is one of the best games ever released after all and a game no one has ever surpassed when it comes to space games, but still, we all know in our hearts that Babylon 5 would have been even better.

alison says:

I remember playing a fan game called Babylon 5: I’ve Found Her with proper flight physics years ago. I was really impressed with it at the time, even though there weren’t a lot of missions. That said, when you actually get to sit in a Starfury you realize it’s a total bitch to control. I think i’d pick up a new B5 game, though. The idea of learning to play a 37-button Sim-y McSim these days scares me, so it would need to have great characters and a storyline to hook me, and B5 did those things so well.

• GameOverMan says:

Don’t forget The Babylon Project, based on Freespace 2 SCP.

• Maxheadroom says:

Much as I hate to admit it there cant be much of a business reason to make a B5 game now. There’s adults around today who weren’t even born when it was cancelled

That makes me almost as sad as the realisation that there are EXECUTIVES in my work who have never known a world without the Simpsons

• GWOP says:

I’m one of those adults… but I watched the show in 2012 and now it’s one of my favorite space operas. It still holds up!

• Jay Load says:

You, youngling, win an Internet Great Machine.

Also some Spoo. Possibly we will throw in a Pak-ma-ra. Or maybe a group of them singing.

Who are you? What do you want?

6. Cinek says:

God damn you Adam! There goes my hope for a proper Babylon 5 game… (Yea, yea, I played the crap out of Homeworld mods, still not the same)

• SigmaCAT says:

This is more than betrayal, I feel someone reached inside my chest and tore my heart out.

• WeeMadAndo says:

There’s always “I’ve Found Her”.

7. aircool says:

Why is there a picture of Star Trek in a Star Wars article?

• Sandepande says:

Galactica, you mean.

• NicholasTimothyJones says:

I think you will find it’s actually Firefly.

• TonyB says:

Exactly, I can’t believe anyone could make that mistake with Aeryn and Crichton front and centre like that.

• INCSlayer says:

uhhm actually thats Stargate your talking about

• Darth Gangrel says:

At first I thought it was Red Dwarf, but there’s no robot or black guy.

distantlurker says:

or dwarves.

• Ragnar says:

I can’t believe none of you recognized the Farscape cast.

• TonyB says:

What are you talking about? It can’t be Farscape: there’s no Lennier in that picture!

• The Ultimate Clone of The Ultimate Warrior says:

Nah lads, you don’t understand that this is clearly Andromeda! I’d recognise the cheap special effects and hockey religious subplot anywhere!

magogjack says:

Great to see a Blakes 7 game, I am hype !

• aircool says:

My bad… it’s obviously Fireball XL5 as I recognise my uncle Zodiac.

Benratha says:

No, it’s just that Chewbacca has had a severe haircut…

8. theblazeuk says:

Adam. I’d like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some jokes come with too high a price. I would look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like *this*.

9. Vacuity729 says:

This was my favourite iteration of Star Trek. I mean Star Wars. Whatever. I’m actually rewatching the series at the moment; eating supper while watching Londo decide which wife to divorce. Hilarious!

• Jeroen D Stout says:

My favourite line!

Ladies, ladies… please… … continue.

Celestial says:

I would throw monies at my screen for a modern Babylon 5 video game. Monies! Heck with Star Wars.

11. MaxMcG says:

Tie Fighter or GTFO.

• Det. Bullock says:

Hear! Hear!
      A whole bunch of dark side cookies for you, sir.

• consolitis says:

Agreed, but do we really want EA anywhere near Tie Fighter? We all know how much EA would love ruining it. This guy had a nice idea what to do with EA: link to youtube.com but the truth of the matter is EA don’t deserve our time at all. They simply need to be ignored and boycotted until they finally and inevitably, die.

• MaxMcG says:

Good point. Ability to send power to shields would be day 1 DLC, missiles and torpedoes would be unlocked by earning XP (unless you buy outright using in-game currency). The horror.

• DrZhark says:

Indeed! X-wing, Tie Fither, X-wing vs Tie Fighter. I need moaar! I played all of those games missions at least twice. The difficulty was brutal. I enjoyed them greatly. Weren’t they a financial success? why haven’t they done them already? I’ve thrown plenty of money at my monitor with the lucasArts logo and nothing happens.

12. Darth Gangrel says:

So will we get a Star Wars game this year? Nov 2015 it was Battlefront and Nov 2017 is also apparently reserved for Battlefront, but what about Nov 2016? I just want something that isn’t an MP only game, but preferably something like Jedi Knight or KotOR.

13. Det. Bullock says:

Remake of X-wing vs Tie Fighter: Balance of Power with DLC remakes of the campaigns of the other X-wing titles so the higher ups are content (higher ups like DLCs I hear), just make it with mouse and keyboard support so it’s more accessible than the original, not everyone is a member of the joystick master race like yours truly.

14. Turkey says:

I hope the earnings call was just a bunch of shareholders asking if there’s any Star Wars games coming up, slightly rephrasing the question every time.

15. kud13 says:

Amy Henning, you say…

Is there a chance we can get a good game? Like Legacy of Kain, but with force-powers?

• Kaeoschassis says:

See, this guy gets it. My hopes of actually getting another good Star Wars game are about as low as they’ve ever been at the moment (I’m binging old ones instead, nostalgia is a hell of a drug), but even I have to admit my ears pricked up at mention of her name.

The answer is almost certainly no, but it sure is nice to dream…

16. SomeDuder says:

Just… Continue with the open ending of Replubic Commando. That was fun game without needing any knowledge of the terrible expanded universe. Hell, it’s based on episodes 1-3, which I despise with a passion, yet the game still holds up! Goes to show how a mighty fine game can make you forget about the terrible movies.

But seriously, it did the squad-combat thing in a single player game amazingly well, had some fun weapons and for a corridor shooter it offered some nice environments, even if those environments all had extremely convenient objects that provide cover.

Of course, in the year 2016, it MUST be a multiplayer-only game with unlockables and Twitch intergration, otherwise the Hype Train would never even bother pulling out of station.

• SomeDuder says:

Atlho, Repubic Commando might do well in ye olde sex shoppeh, where a clean-shaven wookie stars in his own pants-less adventure of bowcasters and bolos…

• Kaeoschassis says:

I just finished replaying Republic Commando the other day and wow. I mean I REMEMBERED the ending, sure, but I did not remember it hitting as hard as it did. For something so short and simple it was very well executed.

Anyway, I and many others have been screaming for a sequel for years, but it’s not like I actually believe it’ll ever happen. Actually, didn’t the Clone Wars series make a couple of nods to Republic Commando’s ending? It’s been too long, my memory’s hazy.

17. thekelvingreen says:

Ah, so it’ll be a Battlefront every two years then, like FIFA with lasers.

18. ZippyLemon says:

At some point they decided to forgo Star Wars RPGs in favour of making their MMO solo-able, didn’t they?

19. shadowmarth says:

You are continually disappointing me with these troll pictures. Not because I get nerdmad at it not being the right picture, but because I keep HOPING there’s some interesting news about Star Trek or Babylon 5.

20. SaintAn says:

Do we really need another “Battlefront”? That reboot was terrible and hardly has any content. Either make a real Battlefront 3 or don’t bother.

21. BrotherSurplice says:

God how I hate that they have the temerity to call the eviscerated pile of AAA dross that they’ll serve us “Battlefront II”. There was already a Battlefront II you mongonauts! And it was actually good!