The Games I Won’t Uninstall

As much as PC gaming hardware has changed and improved over the years, there’s always been one constant: the limitations of disk space. Granted, it’s far cheaper and easier (no more absurdly tiny Master/Slave toggles) than it used to be to grab a new hard drive, but the rise of ever-faster but more expensive SSDs set things back a bit in that regard. With new mainstream games regularly asking for as much as 30 Gigabytes I remain, as I always have, in a battle for space. Which means I’m constantly uninstalling half-finished stuff in order to make space for the next big thing. Sometimes it’s heartbreaking. But there’s a line. There are a few games I can never uninstall, because it would hurt too much. Granted, they change a little over the years – new ones come in, old ones finally, finally lose their lustre (or I give up entirely on the belief that I will ever go back), but here’s how that list of inviolable treasures looks right now.

Sunless Sea

There’s so much I never explored in this gloriously-written paen to oceanic doom, and that’s before it got updated with a string of extra locations and missions. The sea continues to call me, and it’s one of those games which is as much state of mind as actual activity. One day I shall go back. If I uninstall it, I’m saying that I won’t, and that would break my heart in two.

I thought its second DLC The Knife of Dunwall was by far the strongest slice of Arkane’s freeform assassinaction game, and was excited to see where else it might go with the narrative follow-up The Brigmore Witches. Alas, it was one of far too many games which arrived in the half-year following the birth of my daughter, the continued demands of whom mean that idly going back to fill in the gaps is sadly impossible. Damn, I want to though: a more nuanced and sympathetic leading man than the main game, the promise of new enemies, new mysteries and, best of all, more Dunwall, is irresistible. So, my self-set mission is to go play (and finish) Brigmore 2 before Dishonored 2 arrives. At a guess, I’ve six months.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Oh, come on. Like I’m ever, ever going to uninstall The Heart Of All PC Gaming.

X-COM: Apocalypse

(Pictured atop this post, FYI). My guiltiest gaming secret: I’ve only spent a little time with the third X-COM (and the only other one made by the series’ original creators), having bounced hard off its complexity and sprawl. I feel awful about this, and have for years pledged to do right by the Gollops. I know I am more patient and open-minded now, and more likely to get Apocalypse (or, at least, appreciate what it’s trying to do) than I was at the time. And so Apocalypse has sat on my hard drive for at least half a decade. One day. God help me, one day.

One of my go-to zen games, when I need to distract myself from the world but can’t bear the thought of any pressure in what I play. Truth be told, I don’t fire up Proteus anything like as often as I think about firing up Proteus, as simply conjuring its pastel fields from memory is highly effective in its own right.

I like Spelunky a lot, and admire it even more, but it’s one of those games I hit a skill wall in and lacked the constitution to push myself through. Still feels like I should, though, and to remove it would be an admission of defeat. As long as it’s on my hard drive, I’m in theory still playing it and thus don’t feel like quite such a wimp.

I have no real intention of going back to Skyrim, but the number of mods I have installed is close to triple figures and I’m terrified what might happen if I ever I did decide to return to my old save game and could not recreate the cat’s cradle of user-made add-ons I accrued over the years. There’d be a workaround. There’s always a workaround. Just in case there’s not, a bloated game all the more bloated by endless texture backs continues to reserve a huge slice of my poor hard drive.

Euro Truck Simulator 2: Scandinavia

I’ve done plenty of road trips through ETS2’s base game, but never had much of a chance to explore its DLC. My dream, if I ever have a weekend again, is to drive every mile I can of its Scandinavian add-on: the trees, the fjords, the snow, the quiet, the streets and bridges that evoke crime scenes from imported serial dramas on BBC 4.

Invisible, Inc.

Played the hell out of it in early access, but never got around to the release version. I must I must I must because I know it’s brilliant.

Quake III

You don’t uninstall Quake III, because what are you saying about yourself if you do?

And you? What are yours?

This post was originally published to the RPS Supporter Program.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

phuzz says:

FTL. I’ve played it through an uncountable number of times, but I’ll still fire it up when I can’t summon up the energy to play anything more demanding.

• wwarnick says:

Yes, FTL is one that’s sat on my hard drive since I bought it. It’s too fun.

• cosmitz says:

One of these days, i’ll finish my Type A Mantis “Take no Prisoners” 20-ships decrewed acheivement and finally unlock the Type B Mantis.

Lost so many of those playthroughs… so many.

distantlurker says:

Civ – I don’t even really play it anymore, if I’m after that kind of experience I play EU:IV, it’s much richer. It’s just sometimes, *sometimes* I want a nice, easy, fast run thru on a Saturday afternoon. Just one more game/turn.

TOR – I’ve been subbed since it started, I play maybe once a month. It’s not worth it. Yet this is the game all my friends still play and that once a month can be an absolute blast of an evening so ultimately, it *is* worth it.

Why do we do this to ourselves? ^^

Scrote says:

TF2 – months, or even years can pass between the times I play it and when I go back to it I invariably wonder, “Why don’t I play this game more often?” because it is so much fun.

• April March says:

Yeah – it was installed in my old PC since I got it and it was one of the first games to be installed on this one (not the first because the others were smaller, natch). I’ll often go months without playing but always have fun when I do.

• Josh W says:

I’m the same, although I also have a little bit of the skyrim motivation; I’ve seen it download gigs of updates enough times that I don’t really want to go back through that the next time I want to play it.

cpt_freakout says:

For me that game impossible to uninstall is Mount and Blade Warband. I always go back to it, at least once a year, whether for new mods or old (right now I’m highly excited about the coming update to the Warhammer mod). Other notables are Thiefs 1 and 2, even though I haven’t played them in years.

Also, I always have an ‘RPG of the moment’ installed, ready to be played, but I always get around to them when they’ve stopped being ‘of the moment’, not when they’re old but when they’re starting to be. Case in point: I’m finally playing Divinity OS with a friend, and am planning to finish Pillars of Eternity one day. One day.

zinzan says:

Fallout:NV, Skyrim, Combat Mission, Civ IV, TW:Shogun………………
    Yup that’s all, everything else either has gone, will go or wasn’t ever installed. Hmmmmm all modded to hell and gone too…interesting (wipes beard thoughtfully……)

Andy_Panthro says:

Only Minecraft remains indefinitely. Dishonored has lurked for quite some time, I’ve yet to finish the Brigmore Witches. I loved the main story, and played through it twice, and while the Knife of Dunwall was good I found I’d run out of steam by the second DLC chapter. Other games took precedence, and it has waited, unplayed, for quite some time.

• animal says:

I loved Dishonored so much that I was burned out when the expansions started coming. But I’ve since re-installed it…I just wish I didn’t have 20 other things I’m already playing (nevermind the awesome games that I still need to get to)

particlese says:

Ahh, yes, I’m with you word for word on Proteus, Skyrim, and UT99 (I’ll forgive the typo), and Deus Ex sticks around for the same reason as that last one. (Saves me having to reinstall it, too.)

Braid, Eufloria, Mirror’s Edge, and Osmos set up shop years ago in case I need to show people neat things or have some fun myself. The Hexcells are a relative newcomer, but I reckon they’ll also stick around for quite some time.

It’s fun to know I’m not the only one who keeps games around like that!

8. Hmm-Hmm. says:

-Minecraft. Minecraft is good for mindless digging and tidying up, especially when I’m having a podcast on or something.

-Dawn of War. Not that I play it all that frequently, I just.. can’t get rid of it. Because I love that game.

-Battle for Wesnoth

-Dungeons of Dredmor

All but the first I want to play more, I just keep putting it off. Least of which is DoD, which I can imagine uninstalling.

• Anonymous says:

The only thing that stops me playing dungeon’s of dreadmor more (more-more) is the rest mechanic, I can sometimes come up with a trick that means I can regain health and mana fast enough to farm spawns infinitely on a reasonably hard level. The third one say. If I was able to rest for “n turns unless enemies appear” I could implement that strategy in a pretty relaxed way, “rest, see who’s next, pick wands to use, dance them through fire/fight, rest” but instead I have to hammer spacebar, or just go into battle anyway and get killed.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Half-Life 2 and it’s episodes. Probably play this at least once a year although I rarely finish.

Team Fortress 2 because I do still play games of it once in a while, although it seems nearly impossible to find 24/7 Doomsday servers that aren’t all bots anymore.

Metal Gear V is going nowhere soon. I haven’t played it since that first initial binge but I know I will someday and I’ll discover some crazy mechanic and be all like “Kojima, you sly dog!”

Invisible Inc. and Dungeons of the Endless are two recent additions that I find myself going back to quite often.

Rocket League will likely live on my HDD for a loooong time.

Total Annihilation. I have barely played this since I was a teenager (and even then it was generally the same map against the AI) but it’s nice to know it’s there, waiting.

• cosmitz says:

I gave up on Metal Gear V more or less half-way through the story but enough to realise that the core gameplay will never change. I was shocked to find out i was already in the second and last ‘big map’, and only rehashes from then onwards. No interior sneaking, no serious camera threat or excessive need of stealth.

At any point you can pull out your basic Weapon-smith custom rifle and go to town on anything the game can throw at you.

AtlasIsKing says:

My “permagames” as the steam category is called contains:

– ETS2: Scandinavia. It is the best version of one of the greatest games ever made, and it requires no effort to just spend an evening trucking around listening to music.

– Kentucky Route Zero, because it’s obviously a great game but the time never quite seems right to finish it.

– Mount & Blade: Warband which I haven’t touched in a long time but that I will want to discover again when the time is right.

– Cities Skylines has been on there since it came out. I lik to go back and follow a car around my city once every few months.

– Minecraft: not on steam, but still essential.

magnificent octopus says:

Mirror’s Edge – I’m never going to finish it again, because the ending is horrible, but it’s still my favorite platforming experience ever, and so I go back for a bit every now and then.

Banished – I don’t know what it is, I just find this to be the most relaxing game I own. Although I’ll be buying Stardew Valley over the Easter break, so maybe that will take this slot

CKII – Every time I get a decent way into this game, new DLC comes out, adding new systems and making me relearn things. I feel like I’ll be happier playing when they just stop adding things.

12. tigerfort says:

Sunless Sea, for much the same reasons as Alec (although I plan definitely to return for Zubmariner, if I don’t get back to it before then).

Hexcells Infinite, because a few procedural puzzles is a pleasant passtime before bedtime.

Crimsonland, because sometimes a little unrestrained top-down violence makes it much easier to cope with the real world’s problems and idiots.

Haldurson says:

Alpha Centauri — I hardly ever play it nowadays… but every now and again, I get that urge.

Master of Magic — again, I rarely play it, but… And I was hopeful that Worlds of Magic would satisfy my love of MoM, but so far no dice. Still, the relaunch (under the name Planar Conquest) might just do that… And the Ios version has been getting decent reviews, so we’ll see. Until then, MoM stays.

Civilization 5 — I haven’t played it in a while, and maybe Civ 6 will replace it. But I’m not getting rid of it for now.

MoO 1 and 2 : MoO is still in early access, and is not yet ready for prime time.

Dungeons of Dredmor : Another game that I don’t play a lot, but I keep wanting to revisit it.

Sword of the Stars : Again, I don’t play it often, but recently I started an epic game in an epic-scale universe, and my old love for it is returning. It’s not perfect, but there’s a zen-like feeling I get managing the massive empires you can build in this thing.

• animal says:

I also have Alpha Centauri (+expansion). Every year or so I’ll throw a night at it (and complete a game), which is usually enough to fix the craving for a while.

14. haldolium says:

With high internet bandwith and comparable low SSD space I don’t do that anymore.

Used to be games like HL, Deus Ex and stuff, but nowadays I just kill shit I don’t play anymore if I need the space and download the game again if I want to play it. Like I might do with Sunless Sea now…

Lakshmi says:

Ditto Sunless Sea and I play their browser game daily – but no install so it doesn’t really count.

Civ 5 – which is why the Civ 6 announcements and changes look great.

CKII – I have played stupid amounts of hours of this game.

Stardew is new, but I can see that one becoming an essential.

• RaunakS says:

How is the Fallen London end game holding up, by the way? Are you enjoying yourself? I played it obsessively for a couple of years, even spending money on nex, but then I burnt out last year. I got to some of the end stuff but got content locked most everywhere. I forgot to even join the Valentines and Christmas events due to other commitments. Though the UI does seem to have been polished up a bit.

Also, hmm. I just remembered I got a beta access to the iOS launch of Fallen London. I really should go take a look.

This is me, BTW:
      link to

16. w0bbl3r says:

Nice article. I have a bunch of games I never uninstall myself, and also never really get around to having a really good go at them. Sunless sea, invisible inc. and others from your list are there.

However, how can you say that Daud is more sympathetic than Corvo? Don’t get me wrong, Corvo is a blank slate, but Daud is a nasty piece of work, made all the nastier if you play it violently to the end of the knife of dunwall and brigmore witches story. He killed the empress for crying out loud. Very horrifically, in front of her daughter (who was then snatched by the fiend).
    Daud might be more “nuanced”, but he is definitely not more sympathetic

17. pringles says:

Would have to go with Live for Speed.

• melerski says:

Yeah Live for Speed too!
      Lunar Flight
      Aerofly FS

• Clippit says:

I was playing LFS just yesterday – party out of frustration with Dirt Rally. It’s extremely obvious once you play with a steering wheel that something’s wrong (why won’t this car turn in? where’s the weight transfer? why can’t I balance it? why does the wheel do weird things?). Cars in LFS might be a bit tail-happy but at least they’re consistent and fun. 30 seconds of LFS’s very basic rallycross mode illuminates the problem with DR: the wheels aren’t connected to anything! That’s why it’s so frustrating and vague to drive, like a horse or a hovercraft or anything else that doesn’t behave like a car.

18. kud13 says:

Deus Ex. Bloodlines. Okay, that’s a lie- I may uninstall them from time to time, when it’s easier to reinstall than to reconfigure new mods on top of old mods.

Empire Earth- because whenever I feel like RTS, I go to its custom campaigns, or to EE heaven, to see what people are (still!) making with the incredible scenario editor.

Tetris for Windows- because…well, you know.

Legacy of Kain games- because they are my mind-blowing image of a unique game story perfection.

Witcher 1- because it’s the one I replay every 2 years or so, soaking in the immense homage to the books that the first game was.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R-whenever I feel nostalgic (I was born in UA, and lived there for 12 years before my parents emigrated to the West).

Freelancer- because I never found another space-flying game that felt this right.

• kud13 says:

Oh, and the original UFO (or XCOM), the first ever game I played to completion ever. That goes without saying.

• CaesarNZ says:

What are you playing EE on? I could never get it to work under Win 7. I miss that game, so wish that they’d do a HD version of it.

• Josh W says:

Yep, Deus Ex is still in there, Baldur’s Gate with mods, haven’t played Starcraft for years but still, but no UT99, my late 90s crew haven’t totally survived.

I think what uninstalling your favourite arena shooter says about you starts with A, and ends with -geing.

Another genre is currently more engageing.

19. Belucard says:

– Battle for Wesnoth. Awesome strategy game full of even more awesome mods. Plus, it’s free and fun.

– Dungeon of the Endless. Best game ever. No regrets about anything.

– LISA. Unique experience.

– Tales of Maj’Eyal. Most glorious roguelike ever (you can create a yeti brawler if you want and know how to use addons).

20. phelix says:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Nothing ever beats that melee combat. I come back once every few months when I just want to chop limbs off.

• stringerdell says:

Amazing game and ahead of its time in many ways but I’m a little sad it still has the best first person melee combat going about a decade later.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Shadow Warrior (2013) has very good melee combat, but the moment-to-moment combat is often very frantic with lots of fast moving enemies who sometimes have ranged attacks. In Dark Messiah it’s me against orcs and it’s more of a duel, where I can make up tactics instead of dodging projectiles.

Shadow Warrior is often very fun, but doesn’t make me think “I want to reload this section a dozen times, to try out new ways to kill that orc”. Just the demo can give you hours of fun, because there’s so many ways to make the same encounter feel different.

On topic, I used to have lots of games that I never uninstalled, because they were so fun to play and had endless replay value. Those were Dark Messiah, but also Jedi Knight/Jedi Outcast, Serious Sam: TSE, Diablo 2: LoD, Deus Ex 1, Bloodlines, KotOR 1 and 2. With my new PC, I’ve only installed the games I’m actually going to play right now, which is Lichdom: Battlemage, Borderlands 1, Shadow Warrior (2013), Dishonored and Sacred Gold. When I’m done with each, I’ll uninstall them and start another game. The backlog waits for no man…

21. Wagrid says:

Kind of glad to know I’m not the only one who does this. For me the big one is Dragon Age: Origins. I recently remarked to a friend that everything I do has about a 10% change of turning into another playthrough of Dragon Age.

Similarly, both KOTORs have made it onto the hard drive of every PC I’ve ever owned. I’m about due to revisit them, actually. Old Republic has also been installed forever because, I dunno, sometimes I just want to play space dress up and be Star Warsd at for a week.

I’ve also had Skyrim installed on this laptop forever, but this is mostly because I wouldn’t want to re-assemble my mod collection if I ever played it again.

Another one is Life is Strange. I dunno, I just don’t have the heart to uninstall it. Same with Gone Home, actually.

In terms of games that I keep installed as a reminder to actually play one day, I’ve had Planescape Torment taking up disc space forever. Actually this one is a little misleading because I played a few hours of it, decided that it had aged horribly and lost interest. I’ll get back to it one day. Probably. Maybe.

22. Asrafil says:

Spelunky without a doubt.
    To my surprise Darkest Dungeon has been installed for almost a year now. (In June I think it will be a year) I always come back and play a lot after each update. I have like 100 hs on it. I doubt I’ll ever win the game. Same thing with Spelunky

23. klops says:

ADOM. Latest highscore entry is from 15 years ago.

Risingson says:

I had some but they are rotating lately.

I was very conservative up to the late 00s, having Master of Magic, Master of Orion, Prince of Persia, Another World and Flasback in all my computers. Right now the only games i cannot uninstall are games that I left at half because I was saturated (Skyrim, Grimrock, Far Cry) or fast entertainments (3 wonders, Super Hexagon).

Now, in every new console or portable device I get I always, always, install Monkey Island, Another World and a Spectrum emulator with Atic Atac. If i can get Aero Fighters and Raiden to run on it as well, even better.

25. laotze says:

– Dota 2: because it’s the only thing that ever got me to uninstall Dota 1.

– Dark Souls: because I’m never not converting new players and co-oping with them through the greatest game of all time.

– Jackbox Party Pack 1 and 2: because the Jackbox party is a party that never stops.

– Undertale: because one day I’ll go to a dark place and force myself to play through the genocide ending.

– The Witness: because who knows, maybe someday I’ll decide to hatefuck it to completion.

26. snowgim says:

I could never decide what to keep and what to uninstall, so I run away from the problem by buying bigger drives. I currently have two 2TB games drives in a raid0 totaling 3.45TB that is 88% full of 377 installed Steam games and a few dozen other non-steam games. (Which is also backed up on a cheaper 4TB drive for safety. I’d hate to have to download all that again.)

Yes I probably spend too much on drives, but it’s so nice to know that at any time I can click 1 button and instantly play any game in my collection.

Ironically the game at the top of my list to keep, STALKER SoC (which I replay semi-regularly), I’d also have no problem uninstalling, since it’s one of the last games I actually bothered to get a disc copy of.

• Samwise says:

Precisely the same solution as me! I am not sure how many games I have installed but between Steam and GOG it’s several hundred. It’s my adult’s version of a kid in a sweet shop.

27. Barberetti says:

Doom 2, Quake and Quake 3 will always be on my PC.

28. itchyeyes says:

I’ve been running up against my limit on hard drive space lately, so this has been recently put to the test. My current list is short:

Typically whatever the most recent release is for those last two.

29. LTK says:

Crypt of the Necrodancer won’t go away until I’ve truly reached the skill ceiling, which in all likelihood will never happen. I keep playing the daily challenges, and will win maybe one in three times, but I still have a long way to go before I can reach the top of the leaderboards.

Spacechem is my white whale, having long since defeated me, but I still the small progress I made through the last level I attempted. If I went back now I wouldn’t know how or why I did what I did, but uninstalling it would mean that I accept that the game’s challenges are truly beyond my ability, and I refuse to. I refuse.

• klops says:

Uhm. It’s in Humble Bundle. Perhaps I should get it but I already hava a shitton of games I don’t play urrrgh!

• Catterbatter says:

Agreed on Spacechem. I only made it to the fourth planet, but I still load it up sometimes to watch my solutions play back and marvel at how clever I was back then. Before the incident.

Have you tried TIS-100? It’s also very good, and I found it to be a little easier.

30. 8itmap_k1d says:

Nothing is sacred, although the Arkham games would take some shifting.

31. CyborgHobbit says:

My number one, keep-it-installed-and-go-to-for-a-quick-fun-time is ELDRITCH by Minor Key Games. It also doesn’t hurt that it’s only 135 MB. I also keep Papers Please, FTL, and Dungeon of the Endless around.

I can’t see myself uninstalling Stellaris any time soon, but it has yet to pass the test of time.

32. Kefren says:

I uninstall a game when I complete it or get bored. I reinstall it eventually and play it again if it was good enough. I generally only have 1-2 games on my PC. HOMM2 has been on there for at least a year again though, as I try to complete every mission on normal difficulty. (After 15 years, I only have about 20 missions left; some can be compleetd in an evening or two, some take weeks).

33. eocar89 says:

Mount & Blades Warband and Medieval 2 total war, for the mods. Gothic 2 and Morrowind, because I love them! :D

34. Hyena Grin says:

All the Paradox games I own(CK2, EU, Stellaris, etc), because they don’t take up a lot of space and it’s easy to get lost in them for days.

Cities Skylines, which I don’t actually play as much as I feel like I want to play it. Which is a weird feeling. Nonetheless, I get the urge to play a lot, even if I oft ignore that urge and play other things.

Mount & Blade: Warband, because at present the mod pack I have used is only compatible with an older version of Warband and I don’t really want to mess around with reinstalling everything just right. It’s probably not hard to do, but y’know.

Starbound & Terraria, two games I don’t play often (especially Terraria) but feel like downloading them again on a lark would be more of a hassle than the small amount of disk space they occupy.

Wargame: Red Dragon, being the one RTS that I find myself going back to often enough to warrant keeping it around. Company of Heroes would have been on this list if I hadn’t realized that CoH2 isn’t actually as bad as I thought it was, and now I play that instead when I want a bit of that little-man-micro.

GTAV, purely because there’s nothing more relaxing and cathartic than riding around on a motorcycle for an hour or two in the beautiful space that the game provides. It’s just wonderful. I hardly even play it for the game anymore, it’s just a ‘driving sim’ at this point. Sometimes I race with friends. Sometimes we goof around and get into trouble. Most of the time I’m happy to just cruise the backroads at sometimes casual and sometimes irresponsible speeds. Totally worth the chunk of HD space it occupies.

There’s… quite a few more, actually, but I don’t wanna go on forever. There’s a bit of a theme of games having a higher potential enjoyment factor than the hassle of their size presents. Which means that some games I barely play stay because of their small size, where other games that I actually enjoy quite a bit more get removed because their size represents like, ten or more of the former.

35. nokturnus says:

Mostly old FPS : Doom I & II, Heretic, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake I & III, Blood, UT99… are the first games I always install on a new PC and stay there forever.

The other ones are CKII, Super Meat Boy, Morrowind, Medieval II : Total War, Stronghold

36. obie191970 says:

Souls games – And they’ll be the first games installed when I get a new rig.

Civ IV and V – Can’t say how many times I have a moment and get in a quick 20 turns.

TES and Fallout Series – So many mods…

XCOM – Like Civ, easy and enjoyable to play a quick mission when I only have a moment.

Cities Skylines – Best city builder currently out there.

37. echo_1 says:

UFO (X-COM: Enemy Unknown, 1994). Jagged Alliance 2 (1.13 specifically). Mount & Blade: Warband (until I see MB2, then maybe…). Crusader Kings 2 (never).

38. mrwonko says:

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. I became a programmer thanks to that and I still have so many half-finished & planned mods for it… even if I never actually get around to working on them, I’ll be damned if I uninstall it.

Otamono says:

Binding of Isaac Afterbirth

Dota 2

Doom 1,2

And i dont feel a need to elaborate.

40. Freud says:

I don’t really have a game like that. Even though I tend to become obsessed by a game and play hundreds of hours of it, sometimes even thousands of hours, one day I’m just done with that game and stop playing it. I don’t uninstall if I don’t need the HD space, but once I re-install I don’t install the game. So that effectively makes the game leave my HD.

41. Laurentius says:

Too much to write down tbh but let’s try: Master of Orion2, Master of Magic, Little Big Adventure 1 and 2, SWOS, EU2, SM Pirates, Beyond Good and Evil, PoP 2009, Mirror’s Edge, GTA4 nad GTA5, Portal 1 and Portal 2, FTL, Transport Tycoon, Mass Effect 1, CK2, Tie Fighter, Dyna Blaster, Puzzle Bubble, all Hexcells gams, Ori and the Blind Forest, Limbo, Uplink, Fallout 2, OMF2097, Cadillac and Dinosaurs. But if for some reason all these have to go and I was abl only to keep on,it would be FTL,no doubt.

caff says:

Rocket League at the moment.

But a few years ago it was Garry’s Mod, and it’s still there.

43. Quimby says:

CS:S – always fun to dip back in for a round or two.
    Sid Meier’s Pirates – when is taking time out for a bit of piracy not the answer to a bad day in the office?

44. elderman says:

The games on my hard drive for a long time fall into several categories. There are the games I keep around because I love them: the kind discussed in this article. There are the games I haven’t got around to finishing yet. And then there are the ones I keep around to show to other people.

The last category notably includes Braid, Passage, the Portal games, Proteus, and whole bunch of local multiplayer games.

There are tons of games I haven’t finished yet. Too many to bother listing any.

These are the one’s you’d have to twist my arm to get me to un-install: Crawl; FTL; Spelunky; D2; emulated Super Mario All Stars; and AlephOne with Marathons 1,2,∞, and RubiconX.

The Binding of Isaac would join that list if it still ran, but that game hasn’t worked on my machine in more than a year.

45. Olaf the Merchant says:

Well, there’s always a few games I can’t part with. Some are golden oldies, other are just a bother to reinstall, especially if heavy modding has been involved.

Usually there’s the Black Isle games, AoE 2, Beyond Good and Evil, Civ4, Jagged Alliance 2, Red Alert 2, System Shock 2, HoMM 3, Anno 1404 Venice, King of Dragon Pass and the Harebrained Shadowrun games. Other games generally phase in and out of my HD, but I’ve left these well alone each time I’ve done a bit of spring cleaning.

46. Juancho707 says:

X-Com: Apoc will live on my drive for all eternity, once in a while I mod the hell out of it and give it a spin.

UT2004: The community in my region is pretty much dead and I don’t even play it anymore, but this game meant so much to me I can’t just uninstall it, besides I made a couple of maps for it.

M&B Warband: Masterpiece of a game, mods have kept me going back to it, but native still has its appeal.

Civilization, for as long as I have memory, there’s always been a civ game in my drive.

Finally, Ttransport Tycoon Deluxe, although lately Train Fever has got my attention, TTD is relaxing and awesome, and has aged very nicely

47. popej says:

Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3
    Civ 5 (used to be 4 and it’s probably the better game but I love 5 and want to play more)
    XCOM w/ Long War (and probably XCOM 2)
    GTA V
    Witcher 3 (but only because I’ve played so little. Doubt it’d stay installed once I’ve had my fill)
    ARMA 3
    Sunless Sea
    Fallout 4

48. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Wow, that’s very similar to mine. X-com, Spelunky, Invisible Inc, Quake World (basically Q3), even Dishonoured because I’d only finishes one of the 2 dlcs!

On top of that it’s FIFA 13 and Football Manager 15, games I’m no longer so enamoured with that I’ve kept buying updates, but every now and again fancy a go. Dark Souls because 2 goes in I’m still not done with it. Deus Ex because it got daft how many times I’ve reinstalled it. And Freespace 2 because I bought a joystick for Elite:D but found revisiting Freespace much more fun. Keep meaning to try some mods

49. shagen454 says:

For me:

World of Warcraft (waiting for the vanilla servers for 10 years of course), Warcraft III and expansions, I think at this point HOTS will be a game that does not get deleted forever, whatever the current version of Counter-Strike is, Alpha Centauri, Antichamber (great game to show off to stoners), Space Giraffe (great game to show off to acid freaks), Ultima VI, Thief 2, System Shock 2, Fallout 2, Baldur’s Gate II, DOTA 2, Myth II (& I), KOTR 2, Unreal Tournament and Quake.

50. pistachio says:

I will win this: my absolute record has to be Virtual Pool 3, over a decade non stop. Only got rid of it last year when I got vp4 which is basically the same game but starts up slower. I never ever had a hard disk fail on me so that helps.

X3 Albion Prelude : since release about 5 years ago, havent played it in like 2 years now, but i will. Some day. Really..
    Spelunky HD since release.