Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Collection Released

We knew that Final Fantasy X and X-2 would be coming revamped to PC today, so the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster [official site] collection now being available on Steam is no surprise. But must everything be a surprise for you? Shall we all blast party papers and yell “Boo!” whenever you’re around? Is it not enough to be reminded that the game is now finally here on PC, 15 years after its original release (13 for the sequel)? Do you read everything and recall it with perfect clarity? Well hark at you! Mate, I don’t even remember what day it is.

The HD Remaster collection packs revamped versions of both Final Fantasy X and its sequel X-2, the graphics teched-up a bit and the soundtrack remastered. It’s also packing ‘boosters’ in the form of options to play at 2x or 4x speed, to hide the HUD, to turn the frequency of enemy encounters down or off entirely, to give characters a full overdrive meter every turn, and to auto-resolve battles. Or, on the cheatier side, you can have maximum money, 99 of every item, and unlock all skills.

Language-wise, unfortunately you can’t mix Japanese voices with English subtitles.

The collection is out now on Steam. It’ll normally cost £19.99, but a 20% launch discount brings it down to £15.99/19,99€/$23.99 until May 19th.

That’s Thursday. Next Thursday. That means today is Thursday. Still got it, baby.

From this site

1. FuriKuri says:

Ah, Final Fantasy X. The game where I got to this scene, turned it off and never bothered playing another JRPG again.

Videogame writing/acting is pretty bad across the board but that game really plumbed depths of awfulness I’m glad I’ve not had the misfortune to experience since.

• Bobcat says:

Spoilers: That scene is supposed to be super awkward. It’s fake laughing to make Yuna feel better about the fact she’s on a journey which she knows will end in her death, whether he succeeds or not. I agree it’s still pretty bad, but not as much as people make out.

• Erinduck says:

So basically you actually completely missed the point of the scene entirely and used that to damn an entire genre?

• onionman says:

I played FFX to completion back when I was a teenager and still into JRPGS, which I now find tedious and dull (the stagnation in the genre since then certainly hasn’t helped either). However even at the time that scene made me cringe. Please explain, what exactly do you think “the point of the scene” was, and how did FuriKuri miss it?

• Aaron W says:

I personally found it unintentionally funny and started laughing with them.

• Ashabel says:

The original point of the scene was that Tidus is trying to cheer Yuna up by laughing, except he feels like shit himself and so lets out the most fake and embarrassing laugh possible. It’s supposed to be somewhere between cringe-worthy and unintentionally funny.

However, in a spectacular plot twist, a ridiculously large number of people didn’t get the scene at all and genuinely believed it involved the actor randomly lapsing into super-bad acting despite performing decently in the rest of the game. The result is that the scene has since become an excellent way to flush idiots out of discussion – you know someone is struggling to develop a clue when they failed to get a scene that obviously telegraphed.

• anon459 says:

I was a child when I played that game and even I got it. Yuna literally *begs* him to stop laughing. How did people not get it? I really want to think that most people who complain about it have never actually played the game and just saw the scene out of context and wanted to be “in” on the collective hatred. Nothing makes people feel like a part of a group more than collective hatred.

• K_Sezegedin says:

Uh, I got the point of the scene, I mean Yuna spells it out pretty explicitly, and still found it cringeworthy, – way too much of a cute moment between characters who were already grating.

The writing and voice work in general were so unconvincing I got pretty annoyed whenever the characters tried to show emotion, here a little mid-mission cheer-up is written into a bit where two annoying characters be extra annoying together.

I made it maybe halfway through FFX cause though I did enjoy the battles to a certain extent, as they were actually turn-based for once, the characters plot and music just wore me down.

One thing I learned from FFX was that listening to Final Fantasy dreck is significantly less pleasant then reading it.

• Eight Rooks says:

Given the scene in question practically has a sign along the bottom of the screen saying HERE IS WHAT THE POINT OF THIS SCENE IS (as does the entire game, come to that), I’m not sure how you think anyone could miss it. And I got through that and went on to finish the whole thing. It’s mediocre at best. It’s a big old 5/10 from start to finish.

• Ashabel says:

The number of people who missed the point of that scene is actually so high that James Arnold Taylor had to put up a YouTube video where he spells out that yes, the laugh was absolutely supposed to sound embarrassingly fake.

He did it because, according to him, he still receives emails almost daily where people complain about how the laugh in that scene sounded embarrassingly fake and such bad acting is really not like him.

X_kot says:

I don’t blame the VA, he did what he could. It was the writing and audio direction that failed. Yuna’s lines are touching and thoughtful, i.e., “I want my journey to be full of laughter,” but otherwise the scene is an awkward simulacrum of trying to cheer someone up. Not bad enough to condemn the genre but grating on senses nonetheless.

• FuriKuri says:

Let’s not pretend that this scene was some enlightening metaphor into the human condition or anything; it’s just a terribly written scene. I don’t even particularly blame the actor for the delivery, but it’s not like the acting in the rest of the game was anything more than passable.

Is it bad enough to damn an entire genre? Perhaps not – but it is without question a low point in a game which is itself a low point in a series which has achieved little since FF7 (almost 20 years ago).

• Faults says:

Clearly the problem .

You can thank me later.

• Faults says:

Well, I have no clue how I managed to botch the formatting that bad, but clearly the Japanese dialogue makes it far superior.

• dreadguacamole says:

Oh, I was sure it would be this scene
      link to youtube.com

Though pretty much the whole damn game is cringeworthy. Writing and characterization were never Square’s strengths.

magogjack says:

I gotta say being able to play a JRPG with these no battle options is mighty tempting.

• Eight Rooks says:

Yes, to be fair to Square, while I find FF the least interesting franchise of theirs, at least they understand things have moved on after more than a decade. Then again, something like The World Ends With You (brilliant game, one of the best in the genre) emphatically demonstrated random battles are the devil’s work, so Squenix clearly worked out some time ago that they’d have to tweak the formula if they started putting out remasters.

3. aepervius says:

“unfortunately you can’t mix Japanese voices with English subtitles.” what. the. Actual. Hell.

Are they out of their mind ?

Without that it is an automated no-buy for me.

4. Drinking with Skeletons says:

The only “booster” that would’ve tempted me is getting the ultimate weapons without doing all the awful mini-games. I’ll stick with my PS4 version for now, but it’s nice to know that there should be a version of FF X-2 available for a good long while.

5. dontnormally says:

I despise the way they’ve named this.

Finay Fantasy 13
    Final Fantasy 13-2
    Final Fantasy 132
    Final Fantasy X-13
    Final Fantasy I3-13X

just… do something else

the names have absolutely no life or character and in no way define the games they represent

• Anti-Skub says:

I disagree. They have similar themes, gameplay, style. The plot and the characters might be entirely disconnected but you could say the same of the GTA games. I like the name “Final Fantasy” I think it conveys their otherworldliness well and I don’t see any issue with just numbering them. I’ll take a numbered sequel over a fucking generic colon subtitle like Assassins Creed or Hitman does or endless reboots using variations of the same name like Wolfenstein any day.

• Amake says:

“A Group of Young Rebels take on an Evil Empire” could be the subtitle

Nah but seriously, what would be the problem with spending 30 minutes coming up with a decent title for your game that says something about what it is, beyond “The sequel to the thirteenth in our series of fantasy titles”?

• Amake says:

I actually meant to say “tenth” there but, well, that sort of illustrates the problem doesn’t it.

• Deano2099 says:

I’d imagine the problem would be it would sell half as many copies as it’s not called Final Fantasy (and two thirds as many if it has FF in the name but isn’t a ‘main’ numbered release).

• Unruly says:

I don’t think he’s complaining about each main game being Final Fantasy Numbers. More that he’s complaining that they’re doing things like releasing sequels to the games and naming them Final Fantasy Numbers-2. Or at least that’s my takeaway since all of his examples were variants on Final Fantasy 13.

So I think he’s saying that additional games that deal with a particular game in the series should be named the way they’ve named the FFVII-related games. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, etc.

6. Anti-Skub says:

Ah…Final Fantasy X. The beginning of the end. The death throws of what had, up to that point been a series of wonderful games and the birth of a bizarre disjointed franchise that couldn’t decide what the hell it was supposed to be now.

• onionman says:

throes

• dreadguacamole says:

No, Throws. As in “(failed) death (saving) throws”.
        (gives self a wedgie and throes himself into a locker)

• Raggis says:

noun. death throes [plural] 1 the final stages before something fails or ends

7. the_r says:

Well, I liked FFX. I remember it had a very unique atmosphere of lonliness, hopelesness, with endless fight without the slightest chance to win. I think they did a REALLY good job on that part. And as for the laughing scene – I really don’t understand why pople really have to bring it up and shit their pants everytime it’s mentioned. Yeah, we get it, it was a bad scene. Move on. And put into the context of the atmosphere of the whole game I think it was a statement of not giving up in the face of adversity. I might remember something wrong. I remember it made me cringe a bit, though.

I guess I’m in the minority.
    I really liked FF12 (good story story, hunts, a bit unique, sometimes boring but still solid battle system, and most of all – Fran’s voice actress. OMG. Best voice in videogames IMO).
    I liked the 13 (yeah it was linear, but the battle system was great and I did like Lightning). 13-2 was objectively a better game, bit I didn’t like it as much. I only started 13-3, but the whole concept of the game on a timer is extremely unappealing to me. I don’t know I play to relax and the timer, even though some say is ont that restrictive takes away from the experience IMO.
    On the other hand I’ve never finished FF9, even though I started it a few times, the game has always lost me somewhere along the lines.
    FF7, and I’m gonna get lynched publicly for this – was way overhyped.
    The one closest to my heart will always be the FF8. In some part because it was the first FF I played and it is a rule that you love the first FF you play the most (I know there are exceptions but it usually holds true). But other than that: Gunblades were so cool, Triple Triad was the best minigame ever made (much better than already decent Gwent), I liked Squall (probably for the same reasons I liked Lightning) and I am a sucker for a love story. Always was, always will be.

That said, I don’t think I’ll be getting the remaster. At one point I was thinking on getting Vita and then I’d definitely get it to have it around, but well, it’s Vita, and we all know how it turned out (I would buy it if they had released DJ MAX Portable on it, and I mean like a proper one that is played with buttons, not touchscreen, bleh).

Wow, I’ve gone off toppic, sorry. Over & out.

8. Dave Talbot says:

I don’t really remember much about FFX except that I was 17, so will definitely get this just to pretend I am still doing my driving lessons, am thin, and still have all the friends I stopped seeing after I went to uni.

9. PsychoWedge says:

Well, I somehow had not a clue that this was coming to pc… Might finally be time to play this and experience what quite a lot of people call the beginning of the downfall of FF…

• Jalan says:

It was, for myself anyway, part of a one-two KO punch combo between IX and X that killed my further interest in what the series had to offer. I’m sure people who find both games to be the “best” the series had to offer just view people such as myself as unenlightened pariahs, but such is life I suppose.

Now, I mostly enjoy not dumping money on it. Until Square-Enix re-releases Tactics on the PC. Snow cones probably have a better chance of being sold in hell before that happens, but a person can dream.

• noodlecake says:

IX is considered the best by a lot of people, including people who worked on them. I can understand the hate for X, although combat-wise it had a LOT going for it, even over the previous 3. And 12 was actually nicely different too, although definitely not good in terms of plot and world building which is what drew me in to 7, 8 and 9.

13… I just don’t understand why anyone would think it was even a vaguely good game in any way shape or form.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Given that I’m just about old enough to have played VI on the SNES first time round, I have to disagree with you about IX. Final Fantasy IX is just about as fine an example of a JRPG that exists in the world. Good story, mostly good characters, learning abilities off your weapons, and that Jewel passive system, THE FREAKING CARD GAME, soundtrack. Just about everything in that game was perfect imo. Also Vivi. Vivi was in that game. How could you not love that?!

• Jalan says:

The story just bored the bananas out of me. I tried so hard to enjoy it and accept it as a change from the previous titles in the series I’d played up to that point but by the time I hit the end of the first disk, I just didn’t bother to put in the second and continue on.

I have plans to buy the PC re-release at some point to give it another try and see if my opinion of it has altered any, but it’s not high on the priority list at the moment.

10. Kala says:

So my partner (who once wrote 6 blog posts about how much he hates FFX when I forced him to play it at the beginning of our relationship ) just bought this on Steam for me as a gift. I’ve only just seen the note:

“Have another birthday present. <3

NB I will NOT be playing it. :P"

11. a very affectionate parrot says:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA – Tidus

12. noodlecake says:

I wish they would add subtle depth of field, ambient occlusion and… the thing that simulates your eyes adjusting to changes in light (I can’t remember what that’s called), rather than just improved textures.

hemmer says:

Everyone talks about FFX but noone about the sequel? It’s a shame because it’s a great game.

It’s better written, has an awesome combat system and freedom of movement pretty much from the get go, enabling a lot of optional exploration, which is something its predecessor missed a bit.

It did a lot of things differently than usual FF games which got it a lot of flak, but on its own it’s a great game. The opening scene with the jpop music turned a lot of people off I think, a bad move by Square in some ways, because it doesn’t represent the rest of the game at all. That and the dress-up mechanic (which is mechanically great and a lot of fun, just thematically ugh) are pretty much the only two faults I can think of.

Just recently played it to 100%, which is something I rarely do, so I can only heartily recommend people try it.
    At least if this PC ort doesn’t have anything wrong with it, we have learned to be cautious with squenix on that one.

PS: As someone who watches/reads/plays almost everything he can in its original language….the English VA here is actually better imho, there’s no real need for extra mods.

The “bad laughing scene” has been discussed above and the often robotic voice acting of Yuna is also very intentional, she tries to put on a brave act and is simply not a good actress. Her voice actress on the other hand is actually quite good, but the character only lets her shine in the late game and the sequel.

shevek says:

Seconding this. X-2 is by far my favourite Final Fantasy. Light-hearted picaresque ought to be the default style for JRPGs.

• Lakshmi says:

Agreed. I love both.

Risingson says:

Endless grinding with random battles with the same horrible tune over and over. Please, fans, enjoy this game.

• Matt7895 says:

Thanks, I will! Grinding tends to be a flaw in all JRPGs, but the boosters should definitely help with that. I’ll probably put on a few podcasts to get me through any dull, light-on-story sections.

• Kala says:

♫ dun de dun de dun dundundun dun de dun de dun doodoodoo ♫

attack>attack>attack> *throws a blitzball* *runs up and hits with blue sword* *waits while little moogle jumps out of Lulu’s boobs, trots up and bops an enemy* *Lulu bends down to put cleavage at mid-point camera level as victory salute, screen fades to black*

Oscar worthy tbfh.

• anevilyak says:

Thanks, now my coworkers are looking at me strangely for busting up laughing at my desk. So true though.

• Kaeoschassis says: