Arma 3 And COD: Blops 3 Free On Steam This Weekend

Maybe you think you’ll like shooting things, but you’re not sure what flavour of shooting. Are you the type who likes tense, simulated military manshoots you can play with dozens of friends in wide open areas, with missions you make yourself and vehicles you can pilot and drive? Good news! Arma 3 is free on Steam this weekend.

Or are you the type who likes slightly-silly, rapid paced, run-and-gunning against chums and zombies? Good news! Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 multiplayer is free on Steam this weekend.

Black Ops 3 is in fact free right now, the period of access having already begun. It’ll come to a close at 1pm Pacific Time on Sunday, which is 9pm for Brit-based folk like me. The game is also on sale over the same period, with a reduction of 25% until 10am PT on Monday.

Arma 3 meanwhile doesn’t offer times for its start and stop, but is entirely free this weekend – meaning the singleplayer and scenario editor are also available to you alongside the multiplayer. The base game is also on sale with a 50% discount for the duration of the weekend.

I like both games plenty, but if I had to choose right now it’s – surprising even to me – Black Ops 3 that I would be playing. I dug into its multiplayer shortly after launch and enjoyed its wallrunning and double-jumping, even if I think there are intractable problems with its design. And even if Marsh found still more problems with its singleplayer:

From this site

1. PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

Arma 3 you only buy for the mods. You’ll spend all day Saturday downloading, then all day Sunday trying to log in and suss out the controls.

• Holysheep says:

what’s wrong with all the guys thinking arma is just for mods? No, it’s clearly not, the base game in itself is already quite great, not to mention the multiplayer….

• Shiloh says:

Agreed, the game’s just fine without mods. I play a lightly modded version (some weapons, couple of uniform re-skins) but nothing vital to the main game.

That said, I also run a much more heavily modded version with the Iron Front assets, which is fantastic – WW2 Ostfront combat in the A3 engine.

• NeoArmageddon says:

I enjoyed A3 vanilla but me and my squad came to a point where we can’t play without CUP anymore.

The Iron Front mod is also nice: Together with CUP you have all Armaverse games in one single game.

2. Ksempac says:

The good answer to “which recent multiplayer FPS should i play?” is of course Rainbow Six Siege :p

Joke aside, i can’t wait for the next R6:Siege free weekend so that i can pester all my friends and Steam contacts to try it out.

Grizzly says:

Be sure to check out http://www.folkarps.com, where a friendly group of Arma players, partly of RPS origin, play the game in online co op and PvP. Without any mods, too, so there’s no hassle.

• demicanadian says:

Most importantly, we’re having a session this Sunday, at 19:20 UK time. No slot reservation required, just read all the important information (how to use our teamspeak, what is the server address) under link provided by Grizzly.

• SuicideKing says:

I owe over 600 hours of Arma 3 to Folk ARPS over the last year.

Scott Constantine wrote about his experiences with us here:
      link to rockpapershotgun.com

4. jonfitt says:

The DLC for Arma is 50% off too. You can get all three for $9.99 which is ok. It has generally been overpriced for what you get.

5. jamie says:

You cant do the zombie mode thanks for wasting my time. Great journalism