Playing Doom? Skip Intros, Unlock Nightmare, Reduce Mouse Smoothing

Are you trying to punch Hell in the face? Here are some quick and easy tips to make your DOOM [official site] experience a little smoother. By adding the commands below to the game’s launch options in Steam, you’ll be able to skip those pesky intro movies (particularly useful for me since they run really slowly even though the game runs fine), unlock Nightmare difficulty without completing the game on a lower level, and reduce the mouse smoothing that may make your journey through Hell a little too gloopy.

To add these launch commands, right click on the game’s entry in your Steam library and go to properties. Then, from the general tab, select ‘set launch options’ and paste in whichever commands you’d like to use, removing the ” marks around them.

To skip the intro videos it’s “+com_skipIntroVideo”, to open Nightmare (though not Ultra Nightmare) it’s “+menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1” and to turn off mouse smoothing it’s “+set m_smooth 0”. There’s also a command to speed things along even more, by allowing skipping of other loading screens as soon as they’ve fulfilled their purpose: “+com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1”.

We’ll have some thoughts on the game soon, with a full review to come later. I’d planned to play all night myself but Hell took a vacation in my guts. I have the complexion and general demeanour of a revenant, with the possibility of a downgrade to mancubus status later in the day.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

PoulWrist says:

Really, id? “We’ll support all these advanced PC features, UltraWide monitors etc etc. But mousesmoothing will be forced on.”

Also, why no review copies? Don’t they have confidence in the game? Their marketing sure seems to say they have…

• BathroomCitizen says:

But the Steam reviews sure are pretty darn positive, so the game seems actually good!

PoulWrist says:

Well, they’ve had limited time so who knows :D I hope it’s good! I really do… we need good singleplayer FPS, they’re my favorite. I do have it preloaded at home, because good deal at greenmangaming (£30), so I’m excited to try it tomorrow at first light. The pub after work takes priority over this, I’m afraid :p

• turohabaneero says:

I can confirm that it is good

• phylum sinter says:

I managed to review it.

Summed up – I’ve not played such a well-refined shooter in ages.

The sensation of being Doom Guy, the original Demon cleaner, is hectic in all the right ways, acrobatic and rhythmic in its’ combat in just the right amounts, that once you let it provide a decent challenge, you feel awesome just for being able to navigate the hellspawn effectively.

The rest of my review is on Steam – link to

PoulWrist says:

Played it, loved it. It’s a game I feel that I’ll actually want to come back and play more too. That’s pretty crazy in modern times.

• Adam Smith says:

I didn’t get on with the multiplayer beta, as mentioned elsewhere on RPS in detail, but I’ve enjoyed what little of the singleplayer I managed to play yesterday. Alec has played far more though and is putting together clever thoughts right now.

• BathroomCitizen says:

I can’t wait!

My expectations for the game were kinda low to begin with, so now I’m actually a bit excited :)

• Jokerme says:

I don’t understand all the rage about mouse smoothing. I always try to find and enable it in all FPS games since it does what it says, smoothing the mouse input. Since when smooth is worse than jagged?

• Ziks says:

Mouse smoothing is fine for low-DPI mice, but some people can find the extra delay between their input and seeing the effect on-screen uncomfortable.

• polecat says:

For me, because it f***s with the input you’re making which grates cognitively, especially for a genre where quick reaction and immersion are all.

IJC says:

The problem is that smoothing removes a certain degree of precision from your aiming because small or sudden moves are not translated directly to the screen. Since many people strongly like or dislike smoothing, a game always annoys somebody if it does not just offer the option to toggle mouse-filters (same goes for acceleration).

• extor says:

The opposite if mouse smoothing isn’t “jagged”. People turn smoothing off in shooters because it makes the game more responsive to your actual mouse movenments. The question should be why *wouldn’t* you want to turn smoothing off.

• cakeisalie says:

Mouse smoothing is the work of the devil and negates precision, especially in fast-paced twitchy FPSs.

• Bremze says:

Mouse smoothing means that moving the mouse the same distance doesn’t always translate to the cursor moving the same distance which makes it very hard to make fine corrections.

• suibhne says:

How is mouse input “jagged”? Your mouse movement might be jagged, and it’s totally fair for you to say, “My personal level of mouse skill benefits from the computer making decisions to override my own motor movements” – but that’s the only legit use case for mouse smoothing, which actually distorts human control of mouse movement.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

People are used to their mouse cursor movement ratio and sensitivity after many hours of practice and just being used to it but smoothing just throws all that out the window and fights your muscle memory and you pointlessly have to get used to the feeling or relearn it.

• fish99 says:

Do you even understand what mouse smoothing does? Let me explain. It says “oh you moved the mouse 300 units in that frame” (which is just the right amount to put your cursor over the head of the thing you’re trying to headshot) “that will probably make you ill and you probably didn’t want that so let me only move it 50 units this frame, 100 next frame, and 50 the frame after that”.

The end result is you miss. In fact the end result is that you can never trust that the game will move any amount that’s proportional to how far you moved the mouse.

2. cakeisalie says:

I’m tempted but I’m always suspicious about big games that don’t do review/preview copies or enforce strict release day embargoes (I remember Aliens Colonial Marines doing this and for good reason!). Makes you think they lack confidence in their product or have something to hide. Anyway, I’ll wait for some proper reviews before committing any money.

3. th3griffin says:

Hey Guys, I don’t do much under the hood stuff so have a question, if I want to add 2 lines to the launch do I just need a comma “,”

+set m_smooth 0, +com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1

Like that? Or do I also need the inverted commas too? Thanks!

• uh20 says:

I would assume it’s nothing, just space-seperated like “+command1 +command2”, but I don’t own the game to confirm that.

Some hell-em-up should help this fellow um… space-hell-man.

• welverin says:

I just have a space between the two I use for TF2, since it’s a Steam thing I’d guess it’s the same for Doom.

4. anon459 says:

I was certain this game would suck and wasn’t going to pay any attention to it, but after playing my friend’s copy it’s actually quite good overall. The environments are definitely boring and I wish it was a bit faster(haven’t gotten the movement speed upgrade yet), but it’s definitely not a bad game.

5. Ansob says:

I believe it’s actually “+com_skipIntroVideo 1”, and not “+com_skipIntroVideo”.

• CameO73 says:

Correct. I’ve used the following Launch Options in Steam:
      +com_skipIntroVideo 1 +menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1 +set m_smooth 0 +com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1

6. suibhne says:

It beggars belief that id, once provider of the best mouse tracking in the entire industry, now forces mouse smoothing on be default.

• fish99 says:

That’s because there’s virtually no one left at ID who worked on the original Doom or Quake games.

7. asmodemus says:

Does it also work if you type

8. haldolium says:

Skip Doom. Enjoy life.

9. trappski says:

Nightmare is fully selectable without using the +menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1 command even the first time you start a game. It’s just written in red text.

10. Rindan says:

Why the bloody fuck does anyone force mouse smoothing on. I just don’t fucking understand. I have yet to meet a PC gamer that has nothing but vitriol hatred for mouse smoothing. I’m all for it being an option in the same way color blind mode is an option. But for fuck’s sake, why don’t you set the default to what 99% of PC gamers prefer? Did they make the default movement keys arrows keys instead of WASD too?

Seriously, I want to know the actual reason. Why the bloody fuck does anyone have mouse smoothing on by default? Why do beta testers not scream bloody murder? I just don’t understand. It seems so clear.

• David says:

Honestly, this is the first time I am hearing about this ‘mouse smoothing’ business, but what I am really curious about is why you feel the need to say “fuck” so often – it’s vulgar, completely unnecessary, and just generally rude. Not that I am a goody-two-shoes, I certainly can swear like any truck driver, but there is a time and place, so I am discretionary about it, and I am surprised this site even allowed your content to be posted, considering there is no freedom of speech policy here. Anyway, I digress, so about the mouse smoothing: if you wanna cry about it, just use the damn codes they supplied here in this thread – don’t hate on it just because you THINK it’s what 99% of gamer’s want, I mean really, where in “fuck’s sake” did you get THAT statistic? Chill out dude, take some anti anxiety meds, and enjoy the game, you’ll live longer :)

• Eukatheude says:

Do you play FPS games at all? I’d wager any PC gamer who regularly plays FPS knows and loathes mouse smoothing. Especially since a lot of games have it on by default and it can’t be turned off.
        Also: fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

11. tw1L1ght says:

Hey guys, i added the command to change the mouse smoothing, but how would you change it back. or is the value just reset to one with the same command?

12. Chaoslord AJ says:

Yeah also got it early because of the positive reception, thanks for the switchs. They will come in handy.

13. David says:

Well, I have been waiting for this next installment to the Doom Franchise for like, ever. I have the Doom Collector’s Edition, and Doom 3 – yes, I am a Doom-ite :) I have the game installing right now; I played the multiplayer beta preview, and I gotta tell ya, I didn’t think too much of it, although I am just not really into MMO, I am really more a single-player loner, the exception lately being The Division, but in that game, you do really need a teammate to make the most of the games features. Anyway, I have Doom installing at this very moment (it sure is taking long enough, dammit); I hope it is worth the $59.98 I paid for it.

14. Apokalipse says:

So far this game is amazing. I am just now hearing and reading about these changes to the launch options and I feel they are totally unnecessary. I play with a high DPI mouse and said “mouse smoothing” goes totally unnoticed by me. If anything all the aiming and everything feels incredibly natural and I haven’t noticed any delay while swinging around 180 and beyond while slaying demon hordes. Not sure what all the complaining is about.

15. Whe3ze says:

Are these safe to use without enabling the accursed devmode? Pcgamingwiki suggests “Warning: Enabling any console command potentially locks the game in “DevMode” disabling achievements, multiplayer, and Snapmap. Attempting to restore old saves potentially corrupts saves”